Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Other Sport » World of Sport

Notices

World of Sport Discuss all other sport. Includes betting and gambling threads.

Old 20-07-2019, 06:59 AM
Just call me sarge!!

Ardent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is here
Looking forward to the ashes although I will be in Turkey and Bulgaria for the first two tests.

We have a good bowling line up if they stay fit.

Anderson, Broad, Curran jnr, Woods, stokes, archer, plenty of youth and experience.

Only worry is the top three. Need them to regularly get 100 on the board before root comes in. Root, bairstow, Roy stokes all coming off the world cup in good batting form.

Warne suggested Roy and bairstow open in the ashes. Not sure about that. If it came off it would be brilliant but I suspect Warne has suggested that because he knows that they would be cannon fodder at test level.
Don't shoot the messenger, but someone tried telling me in the pub last week that we're close to administration again. I wouldn't have it, but he reckoned he had a 'source' and insisted it was true. I don't believe a word of it, but just hearing the 'a' word is enough to send a shiver down my spine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPFC2010
Ha ha, complete and utter bollocks.
Old 20-07-2019, 07:17 AM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardent Eagle Forever View Post
Good Post.

Your point on crowds is interesting. Surrey fill the oval for T20 because people are able to go after work. The 50 over format is usually held on weekends or at worst day night format enabling decent crowds.

However the county game is generally midweek and daytime when most potential viewers are at work. Many will not take time to watch. Maybe more county games should have the first two days on a Saturday and Sunday and the the last two days day nighters. Changes like this would bring in more people. However fitting that in with the one day format would be difficult.

There's no simple format. Personally I would like to see the county game split into three leagues of six teams played over five days. To emulate test format. The winner of each format plus the best runner up play off for the overall County champions.
I can't agree with this. Adding 14 days extra (a fifth day for each of 14 games in Div 1) County Championship days for each team will just create additional fixture congestion & not get more punters through the gate.

Rather than see CC games extend to 5 days, we'll see Tests reduced to 4 day games. The Eng/Ire test next week is only scheduled for 4 days. In the late 70s & 80s, over 75% of Test went to a 5th day. Since 2000, only 58% have.

Last edited by Olympian2; 20-07-2019 at 07:20 AM.
Old 20-07-2019, 07:20 AM
Keeping The Faith

gold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is here
It sounds contrary, but I have more confidence in England cricket currently than dear old CPFC
Old 20-07-2019, 11:26 AM
Always late for kick-off

3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympian2 View Post
I can't agree with this. Adding 14 days extra (a fifth day for each of 14 games in Div 1) County Championship days for each team will just create additional fixture congestion & not get more punters through the gate.
I'd assume AEF meant playing the other 5 teams, home and away, over 5 days would result in less days than present, i.e. 10 matches x 5 = 50 days compared to 14 x 4 = 56.

Regionalising the 3 groups of 6 along the lines of the original T20 would also reduce travel/logistics problems that the counties pipe up about regularly.
Old 20-07-2019, 11:54 AM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Beers at HT View Post
I'd assume AEF meant playing the other 5 teams, home and away, over 5 days would result in less days than present, i.e. 10 matches x 5 = 50 days compared to 14 x 4 = 56.

Regionalising the 3 groups of 6 along the lines of the original T20 would also reduce travel/logistics problems that the counties pipe up about regularly.
Of course - that would make much more sense, logistically - cheers for clarifying for me.

I'm still not convinced that CC needs to be extended to 5 day games. Better scheduling (with more play at weekends) would help for starters. This summer's timetable has been awful although I appreciate that's somewhat because of the WC.
Old 20-07-2019, 12:00 PM
Just call me sarge!!

Ardent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Beers at HT View Post

Yes, you got me..There are far too many draws in four day cricket, very often rain hit games. A fifth day would create more wins and less draws.

It would get players thinking in terms of five day strategies.

If regionalised it would be less distance for away supporters to travel.
Don't shoot the messenger, but someone tried telling me in the pub last week that we're close to administration again. I wouldn't have it, but he reckoned he had a 'source' and insisted it was true. I don't believe a word of it, but just hearing the 'a' word is enough to send a shiver down my spine.

Quote:
Old 20-07-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardent Eagle Forever View Post
Yes, you got me..There are far too many draws in four day cricket, very often rain hit games. A fifth day would create more wins and less draws.

It would get players thinking in terms of five day strategies.

If regionalised it would be less distance for away supporters to travel.
28 results (8 within 3 days) & 12 draws in CC Div1 so far this season.
Old 21-07-2019, 09:59 AM

spt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglejez View Post
Day 4 at the Oval but will be spending the whole day booing the cheats.

Lets hope they don't cheat this time
Got tickets direct from the oval for this a couple of weeks ago. It’s worth checking the resale section of the site if you want tickets.
Old 21-07-2019, 10:35 AM

RobertCPFC Sam the man is hereRobertCPFC Sam the man is hereRobertCPFC Sam the man is hereRobertCPFC Sam the man is hereRobertCPFC Sam the man is hereRobertCPFC Sam the man is hereRobertCPFC Sam the man is hereRobertCPFC Sam the man is hereRobertCPFC Sam the man is hereRobertCPFC Sam the man is hereRobertCPFC Sam the man is here
I don't know what thread to put it in so I will use this one.

In the Ireland test match next week does anyone know how many overs are they playing each day? Is it the usual 90 or are they playing more because it's only four days?
Old 21-07-2019, 10:42 AM

greybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is here
I have tickets to all 5 test matches. Yes showing off

https://www.gofundme.com/supporting-katerina
Old 21-07-2019, 10:56 AM

Sleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Sorry but the World Cup is Mickey Mouse, pretty much anyone can win a game on the day ,of the main historical test sides. Obviously that's the case else the Aussies wouldn't have won so many. No, in all seriousness, as someone who went to Aussie in 1992 for it, seeing us win in Sydney (saw Mark Dennis on the way in ) it is still not all that. Smaller than having Fleetwood win the golf today for example. The Ashes is way more important. Proper competition.
Old 21-07-2019, 07:42 PM

Maiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping Giant View Post
Sorry but the World Cup is Mickey Mouse, pretty much anyone can win a game on the day ,of the main historical test sides. Obviously that's the case else the Aussies wouldn't have won so many. No, in all seriousness, as someone who went to Aussie in 1992 for it, seeing us win in Sydney (saw Mark Dennis on the way in ) it is still not all that. Smaller than having Fleetwood win the golf today for example. The Ashes is way more important. Proper competition.
Because England have finally got the monkey off their back of never having won an ICC 50 over tournament, until now and considering the next WC is in India, which will heavily favour the Asian teams, I will just take winning this WC over the Ashes.
Not saying I don't want us to beat those arrogant, sledging, cheating gits but if it does go tits up, we will have that feeling of, at least we won the WC.
Be lovely if we ended up triumphing in both, though.
Old 22-07-2019, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertCPFC View Post
I don't know what thread to put it in so I will use this one.

In the Ireland test match next week does anyone know how many overs are they playing each day? Is it the usual 90 or are they playing more because it's only four days?
There is a generic ‘Cricket Thread’ where the Ireland Test is being discussed.
Old 22-07-2019, 10:22 AM
moving forward

art malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is here
Australia v Australia this week, with a few remaining Ashes squad places at stake. Jesus, imagine the sledging, and the cheating
Old 22-07-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by art malice View Post
Australia v Australia this week, with a few remaining Ashes squad places at stake. Jesus, imagine the sledging, and the cheating

But actually, what a great idea in terms of preparation for the Ashes. Play against a load of blokes who are desperate to beat you & will give you a real test. Better than playing The Duchess' Invitation Second XI, eh?

I'm just hoping there aren't too many fractured fingers or 'broken ******* arms'
Old 22-07-2019, 11:37 AM
Old and jaded

davech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is here
Has Glenn McGrath popped up yet with his customary 5-0 whitewash forecast?
Old 22-07-2019, 11:49 AM
Pushing The Sky Away

crystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by davech View Post
Has Glenn McGrath popped up yet with his customary 5-0 whitewash forecast?
The fact it has happened twice since he first did it (the forecast) should not be overlooked.
Old 22-07-2019, 12:04 PM
Old and jaded

davech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystaljim View Post
The fact it has happened twice since he first did it (the forecast) should not be overlooked.
Maybe he is not quite as confident this time around then?? Never known him short of a word or fifty

1st Test at Edgbaston could give us an ideal start before handing you your customary win at Lords.
Old 22-07-2019, 12:21 PM
Pushing The Sky Away

crystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Maybe he is not quite as confident this time around then?? Never known him short of a word or fifty

1st Test at Edgbaston could give us an ideal start before handing you your customary win at Lords.
Has anyone asked him? It was something that came up in interviews previously.
Old 22-07-2019, 02:40 PM
Just call me sarge!!

Quote:

Can we stop playing anyone at Lords please. Get beaten there far too often.

Quote: