Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum

Notices

Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum All things computer, internet, mobile, tablet and video game related.

Old 01-08-2019, 04:48 PM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation
Windows 7 coming to an end next January

MS telling me they are withdrawing support from what I think has been their best ever operating system, and all the advice is to migrate to W10, Linux or a Mac.

Let's assume, because I have a complex system with lots of expensive software (some of which is great but aged, so may not migrate well) that I want to stay with W7.

What are the actual risks if I have a good AV system installed and running? Does anyone know of where I can get informed advice on this? Does anyone have their own advice ?

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 01-08-2019, 05:12 PM
Lovely

brighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is here
If MS stop supporting it, then software devs will stop supporting it. So your AV might well stop getting updates.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:14 PM
Lovely

brighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is here
Windows 10 is fine btw.
Old 01-08-2019, 06:05 PM
Semper Idem

Quote:
Originally Posted by brighton_eagle View Post
If MS stop supporting it, then software devs will stop supporting it. So your AV might well stop getting updates.
A quick bit of research shows that Norton continue to support XP !

So maybe that's the way to go (I already have Norton).

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 01-08-2019, 06:09 PM
Shields Utd Futsal Club

Location: Between Jamaica and St Maarten but Sutton for the summer
Timbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
A quick bit of research shows that Norton continue to support XP !

So maybe that's the way to go (I already have Norton).
Always preferred BSA meself…..I expect its the Dominator you like, or is it the Commando??
Old 01-08-2019, 07:11 PM
Semper Idem

The Commando was an early favourite of mine. But dealers and spares were hard to find. I forget the guy in South Croydon who supplied them (and, curiously enough, MZ).

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 01-08-2019, 07:29 PM

LN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is here
The usual threat will that as they are not supporting security updates then the computer may become vulnerable to these attacks. Whether this is scare tactics or a real possibility I'm not sure. I would think a Win 7 machine had ironed out most of the bugs by now so system updates wouldn't be necessity although eventually there will no doubt be software that just can't run on Win 7 in the future. As B.E. said the software updates will be specifically designed for Win10 now so could in theory could crash the program or refuse to install on checking the OS version?

Hopefully there won't be any final updates that will cripple the Win 7 OS? Certainly with Win Mobile which I finally gave up at the start of the year the final updates definitely slowed the phone to a crawl and with no option other than a possible 'roll-back' moved off Win Mob after five years as it was near unusable? It was almost as if Microsoft made the OS unusable to get you off it?

Must admit the move to Win 10 hasn't been as bad as I thought and most of my elderly software worked occasionally having to use the compatibility assistant to make it work. Still using Office 2010 on a Win 10 machine with no problems. I often use the end of support as an excuse to upgrade the hardware as well as if you are going to upgrade OS you might as well throw the hassle of new a PC in as well as no Win upgrade ever goes completely smoothly also a clean install of Windows is often a good thing.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:39 PM

topper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetopper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetopper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetopper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetopper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetopper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetopper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetopper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetopper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetopper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetopper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I'd stear clear of Norton.
A lot depends on what you use the computer for. If you're working offline then I'd say you'll be fine.
If you're browsing the web you're increasing the chance of having problems. If you're hosting websites on this machine. Forget about it. Learn Linux.
The other thing to consider is that Norton isn't the right choice of av really you need to give yourself a fighting chance.
Kaspersky is by far a much better protection suite.
You can pickup a legitimate licence for their 'total' suite of protection software for a lot less than you'd pay for Norton in pc world.
If this is your only machine and it has all of your photos and docs on it, then you really need to evaluate how much of a loss if anything were to happen to this data.
If it's also the machine that you do your online banking then id upgrade in a heart beat.
What are the problems with upgrading ?
Windows 10 is now 4 years old, it's no spring chicken.
You can nobble the interface to make it look like 7.

If you're staying put I'd upgrade to an internet suite rather than av only. I'd try to secure the build as much as possible by uninstalling as many features that you don't use, the uninstall apps that you no longer use, I'd consider upgrading my ISP provided router for a router that has a dedicated firewall.
Some firewalls have the ability to purchase a web filter, I'd consider that too.

At the end of day it's your choice but windows 7 will not have security patches after january next year. Which means it's open season for bad guys.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:45 PM

WLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by topper View Post
I'd stear clear of Norton.
Graham?
Old 01-08-2019, 09:10 PM
Semper Idem

All interesting. Thank you.

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 01-08-2019, 09:44 PM
Selhurst Heaven

chrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is here
People still use Windows Vista, which dropped support in 2014.

Win 7 won’t drop off a cliff and stop working, but it all comes down to how you feel about security.

Golden rule is backup data onto an external hard drive or cloud.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:40 AM
Lovely

Norton is pretty horrible. I wouldn't install it on my system
Old 02-08-2019, 01:38 AM
Shields Utd Futsal Club

Timbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisophiex View Post
People still use Windows Vista, which dropped support in 2014.

Win 7 won’t drop off a cliff and stop working, but it all comes down to how you feel about security.

Golden rule is backup data onto an external hard drive or cloud.
My main laptop is Vista but they stopped supporting Dropbox in early 2018 which is a problem. I don't think I get full support for a MyCloud either, but I do like Vista. W7 was fine, and I like W10 but I couldn't get on with W8
Old 02-08-2019, 03:27 AM
Since '67

ozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
When was the last time that anyone got a virus that caused them any more than a cleaning issue? Last problem I had was a Firefox update that cleared all my passwords I managed to fix that with a little bit of very simple reg editing.

The free versions of AVG and Malaware bytes fixes everything just fine...and AFAIK you can still upgrade from 7 to Windows 10 for free if you get the assisted technologies version, which works exactly the same as the normal version. All the info is online.

3 days on W10 and you'll wonder what you were worried about.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:31 AM
Born in South London

gcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
My main laptop is Vista but they stopped supporting Dropbox in early 2018 which is a problem. I don't think I get full support for a MyCloud either, but I do like Vista. W7 was fine, and I like W10 but I couldn't get on with W8
You must be the only person in the whole world who likes Windows Vista.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:42 AM

adrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is here
I still have Windows 7 at work and Windows 10 at home. I am with Maz, 7 is far superior
Old 02-08-2019, 03:45 AM
Shields Utd Futsal Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzieEagle View Post
When was the last time that anyone got a virus that caused them any more than a cleaning issue? Last problem I had was a Firefox update that cleared all my passwords I managed to fix that with a little bit of very simple reg editing.

The free versions of AVG and Malaware bytes fixes everything just fine...and AFAIK you can still upgrade from 7 to Windows 10 for free if you get the assisted technologies version, which works exactly the same as the normal version. All the info is online.

3 days on W10 and you'll wonder what you were worried about.
The ransomware stuff can be daunting. Malwarebytes did help to clear that and I replaced lost files from a backup
Old 02-08-2019, 04:41 AM

WLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by brighton_eagle View Post
Norton is pretty horrible. I wouldn't install it on my system
As cumbersome as Allasane N'Diaye.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:28 AM
Semper Idem

We all of us have our favourite/familiar AV solutions.

What's interesting for me from all of this is the view that W10 is not so bad, and (importantly - but is it true?) that it can be set up to look and function like W7.

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 02-08-2019, 08:33 AM

weltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcwhite View Post
You must be the only person in the whole world who likes Windows Vista.
TBH i was thinking the same.

SaulAlinsky