Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum

Notices

Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum All things computer, internet, mobile, tablet and video game related.

Old 02-08-2019, 08:40 AM

weltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is here
whilst windows 7 is leaving extended support in Jan Extended security updates will be available for purchase

For users of Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Enterprise, you can purchase extended security updates through January 2023. For an in-depth FAQ about Windows 7 Extended Security Updates, please download the Microsoft end of support FAQ.

SaulAlinsky
Old 02-08-2019, 09:15 AM
Since '67

ozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
We all of us have our favourite/familiar AV solutions.

What's interesting for me from all of this is the view that W10 is not so bad, and (importantly - but is it true?) that it can be set up to look and function like W7.
Easy peasy...

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 02-08-2019, 09:28 AM
Since '67

ozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
The ransomware stuff can be daunting. Malwarebytes did help to clear that and I replaced lost files from a backup
Yehp that's about my limit as well.

I've had 4 teenagers grow up in my household with the net, they've all downloaded virus on their systems at some time or other. I'm pretty well versed on getting rid of them. I use the geek sites when I get really stuck and cut and paste reg edits from them.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:47 AM
Lovely

brighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is here
W10 built in av is pretty good now. I use that and Malwarebytes, and I'm all good.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:41 AM
Loosefish Scapegrace

A Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is here
There's no real reason to try and stay on Win 10. Vulnerabilities in the O/S and other old installed software are very likely to be exploited despite having up to date anti-virus.

Win 7 to 10 is not a significant change in interface or function, and they both have very similar resource requirements so it's not as if Win 10 will slow your machine down or anything, unlike some previous upgrades.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:28 PM

Norwich_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNorwich_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNorwich_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNorwich_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNorwich_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNorwich_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNorwich_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNorwich_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNorwich_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNorwich_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNorwich_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I upgraded this week for free after a bloke did some hard drive restoration for me. Early impressions are that Windows 10 is fine, it is free and long-term will be supported more. Back up your hard drive and transfer, it is more intuitive to use in my opinion than Win. 7 as it is a bit more App/Mobile/Tablet based in its style etc. which I prefer.

Here's Andy Johnson He's More Than Capable... Of Scoring
And He Very Nearly Did.....
And Neil Shipperley has!!!
Old 03-08-2019, 12:34 PM
substitute

beef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcwhite View Post
You must be the only person in the whole world who likes Windows Vista.
Johnson loves it too

Old 03-08-2019, 12:40 PM
Shields Utd Futsal Club

Location: Between Jamaica and St Maarten but Sutton for the summer
Timbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by brighton_eagle View Post
W10 built in av is pretty good now. I use that and Malwarebytes, and I'm all good.
Yep agree, I didnt even know my new refurb laptop had any AV until this thread prompted me to check yesterday
Old 03-08-2019, 12:49 PM
per aspera ad astra!

RAB Sam the man is hereRAB Sam the man is hereRAB Sam the man is hereRAB Sam the man is hereRAB Sam the man is hereRAB Sam the man is hereRAB Sam the man is hereRAB Sam the man is hereRAB Sam the man is hereRAB Sam the man is hereRAB Sam the man is here
It's not unreasonable to expect an antivirus system with paid for subscription to be less than forthcoming about any negative issues in continued support of an operating system coming to an end. I have Norton on a Windows7 laptop. Norton have not referred to it in my annual renewal.

However I also subscribe to Which Computer and the advice is to stop using Windows7 as MS support will cease. Once that happens there will be no MS updates and that will put my online security at risk.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:08 PM

rhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is here
We still use 7 at work. I prefer it to 10. However we were still using 2000 when I joined in 2009.
Old 10-08-2019, 12:08 PM
Loosefish Scapegrace

A Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino_mik View Post
We still use 7 at work. I prefer it to 10. However we were still using 2000 when I joined in 2009.
Depending on what kind and size of company you work for, the auditors will usually have a field day if you use out of support / out of date software. The cost of ring-fencing / isolating old systems and demonstrating to the auditors that they pose no business risk usually outweighs the cost of upgrading.

Of course there are many exceptions - hospitals, military, aviation etc. often run VERY old software and hardware (aka legacy).
Old 10-08-2019, 12:12 PM

cpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLYWLYAWYPWF View Post
Graham?