Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Other Sport » World of Football

Notices

World of Football All non Palace football talk - includes latest scores on Internationals and matches that affect palace.

Old 05-08-2019, 07:41 AM
Climbing for dollars

Reps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is here
The Atlantic (the OP means the Athletic)

As a couple of BBSers are involved seems fit we have a thread.

Anyone subscribed yet? Any opinions?

Will be interesting to see what coverage and stories they have.

Also interesting on the paid vs free online content model, eg move away from click bait and adverts vs will there be enough subscribers

To view the link you have to Register or Login

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 05-08-2019, 07:46 AM
Watching from Warmington

Big Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is here
Seen a barrage of tweets about it this morning, mostly from Ed Maylon. Going to a challenge for them given the reluctance of anyone to pay for anything on the web but they have signed up a couple of good journalists. I think it will be heavily dependent on whether fans of particular clubs have faith in the “attached” writer to deliver good content and scoops. They haven’t got one for Palace yet although Fifield was rumoured to be heading to them a while back.

Interesting to watch how they develop.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19232019
Old 05-08-2019, 07:51 AM

Ryan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRyan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRyan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRyan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRyan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRyan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRyan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRyan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRyan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRyan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRyan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Think I saw the Woosie off of here would be our correspondent. Will need an audience of much further than the UK to be able to survive. Can’t see it going for more than 2-3 years myself, i don’t think most people can be bothered to read a whole article these days.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:52 AM

doogleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdoogleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdoogleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdoogleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdoogleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdoogleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdoogleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdoogleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdoogleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdoogleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdoogleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Do you mean The Athletic? Won't be wasting my money.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:53 AM
Watching from Warmington

Big Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogleboy View Post
Yes he does....

Old 05-08-2019, 08:00 AM
Climbing for dollars

Reps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogleboy View Post
Ha ha, good effort by me there

Hadn't had a coffee and some other suitable excuses

If a mod wanders by and happens to fancy correcting the title that would be marvellous
Old 05-08-2019, 08:03 AM
Happy Felix Day!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
The Atlantic is a East Coast magazine. I am a subscriber.

The Athletic have spent the last 24 months or so hoovering up a great deal of US sports media persons. I can see how it could work in the US, where sports coverage is far more regional. Here it is harder to see.
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:12 AM
Climbing for dollars

Thank you kindly mod
Old 05-08-2019, 08:14 AM
Happy Felix Day!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
I was a little baffled when you mentioned that some BBSers were involved in the Atlantic. I wondered if Les had a sideline I was not aware of.
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:36 AM

tsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
They seem to have bagged a lot of really in the know journos. Woosie, Dom Fifield and Ed Malyon are good gets. My wife says they've nicked the best Newcastle ones too and judging by the responses David Ornstein gets from Arsenal fans he seems a good get too.

edit: I know ed malyon isn't really a get as he helped start the UK arm but you know.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:59 AM
Happy Felix Day!

In the US they spent many many coins and swept up all the regional talent, and some national online talent as well. The U.K. does not have regional talent in quite the same regard. Ed Maylon and Dom Fifield are writing for the national press. And local media outlets here are simply not important.

As I said I get it in the US, the model they are adopting in the US makes sense. Over here, it is a much harder sell.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:17 AM
Danger Zone

Stavros 69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStavros 69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStavros 69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStavros 69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStavros 69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStavros 69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStavros 69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStavros 69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStavros 69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStavros 69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStavros 69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
It’s an interesting concept and I wish them well in their new venture but I’m not sure the model will work so well over here.
They really have hoovered up a lot of talent and at a huge price, all VC backed and will need to be given time.

I might take them up on the half price offer and see what the quality is like.
I fear that local coverage won’t change significantly and people will simply step up and fill the departing journos.

Something needed to change within the industry.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:18 AM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
It's a big risk, it will have to offer something that’s actually worth paying for. And while that works for the FT it doesn't work for not most newspapers; so much of current news is interchangeable.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:52 AM
Happy Felix Day!

They have somewhere between half a million to a million subscribers in the US, and average subscriber spend at $65 per year. They’ve been very successful in raising money as well.

I get it as a model there. I really do. It’s a different market and people are prepared to pay for quality content. And there is a lot more quality content, and they’ve taken lots of it and put it behind a paywall.

Over here the general quality of sports writing is substantially lower, and people are not prepared to pay for content as a rule (these are probably linked tbh). Good luck to them but it is a much harder market.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:03 AM
Danger Zone

Stavros 69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStavros 69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStavros 69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStavros 69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStavros 69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStavros 69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStavros 69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStavros 69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStavros 69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStavros 69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStavros 69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlerhorst View Post
They have somewhere between half a million to a million subscribers in the US, and average subscriber spend at $65 per year. They’ve been very successful in raising money as well.

I get it as a model there. I really do. It’s a different market and people are prepared to pay for quality content. And there is a lot more quality content, and they’ve taken lots of it and put it behind a paywall.

Over here the general quality of sports writing is substantially lower, and people are not prepared to pay for content as a rule (these are probably linked tbh). Good luck to them but it is a much harder market.
Yeah I agree the uk is just so different and the thinking takes a long time to change. The US is also so large in terms of volume and people will pay for it.

The market is awash with liquidity at the mo, so much dry powder out there you could go skiing.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:25 AM
Watching from Warmington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavros 69 View Post
Yeah I agree the uk is just so different and the thinking takes a long time to change. The US is also so large in terms of volume and people will pay for it.

The market is awash with liquidity at the mo, so much dry powder out there you could go skiing.
The mass market for UK sports journalism remains football, and the mass market for readers in football remains The Sun, Mirror, Mail. Not primarily the in depth analytical type of reader that the Athletic seems to be targeting with its content and writers. You only have to look on here - longer more thoughtful posts often get dismissed with “lost interest after the second line” type comments.

The question is therefore are there enough of the Times, Telegraph, Guardian type football readers who would defect?

Old 05-08-2019, 10:31 AM
Climbing for dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlerhorst View Post
In the US they spent many many coins and swept up all the regional talent, and some national online talent as well. The U.K. does not have regional talent in quite the same regard. Ed Maylon and Dom Fifield are writing for the national press. And local media outlets here are simply not important.
Will be interesting certainly. They are promising a writer per team and the likes of Phil Hey is very respected by Leeds fans
Old 05-08-2019, 10:32 AM
Climbing for dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue Eagle View Post
The mass market for UK sports journalism remains football, and the mass market for readers in football remains The Sun, Mirror, Mail. Not primarily the in depth analytical type of reader that the Athletic seems to be targeting with its content and writers. You only have to look on here - longer more thoughtful posts often get dismissed with “lost interest after the second line” type comments.

The question is therefore are there enough of the Times, Telegraph, Guardian type football readers who would defect?
The coverage in the tabloids is terrible. Unless you support a top team then forget anything of value
Old 05-08-2019, 10:33 AM
Danger Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue Eagle View Post

Yep right on all counts.
The hardest thing is getting young people willing to depart with their cash. Although I’m sure their initial target is people like us who enjoy in-depth, high quality content and have the cash to spend on something like this. But compare this to the price of Netflix for example?!

That model is the hardest since the magazines still debating on how to convert paper readers to online subscribers and how to monitise it.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:41 AM
Climbing for dollars

Price point will be interesting

£9.99/month? You're having a laugh

£2.50/month? £30/year? Cost of half a pint a month? Same as a magazine subscription?