Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 20-09-2019, 10:52 PM

Johnnieboy Sam the man is hereJohnnieboy Sam the man is hereJohnnieboy Sam the man is hereJohnnieboy Sam the man is hereJohnnieboy Sam the man is hereJohnnieboy Sam the man is hereJohnnieboy Sam the man is hereJohnnieboy Sam the man is hereJohnnieboy Sam the man is hereJohnnieboy Sam the man is hereJohnnieboy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Custard Pie View Post
So happy that you got everything so right. well done - made up for you.
Unnecessary. But thanks.

If a charter style operation is charging more than scheduled but still in the shite then there's something very wrong. And as others have pointed out, the days of people not picking and choosing to get the cheapest in travel are over.

But thanks again, I now see that I should have taken the more expensive worse option
Old 21-09-2019, 12:22 AM

WLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is here
Good firm if you want to get gassed to death by a boiler but otherwise I'd build my own package cheaper and more conveniently. I would have thought they'd have died soon after everything was available online. Thought only people getting mugged off in travel agents booked stuff through Thomson/Thomas Cook et al.
Old 21-09-2019, 12:53 AM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
The high street travel agency is as dead as a dodo, but it seems Thomas Cook did many of the right things to offset this by having their own airline and hotels. People still lean towards a package if they can, even if it is researched and booked via the internet.

In my opinion (looking in from afar) it does not make Thomas Cook a bad company that has/had it's head in the sand. As others have said, as an airline it is doing OK, but filling hotels in the Mediterranean coastline is a cut throat business, and TC has/had to compete on that front, putting the company as a whole into jeopardy.
Old 21-09-2019, 01:43 AM

WLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
The high street travel agency is as dead as a dodo, but it seems Thomas Cook did many of the right things to offset this by having their own airline and hotels. People still lean towards a package if they can, even if it is researched and booked via the internet.

In my opinion (looking in from afar) it does not make Thomas Cook a bad company that has/had it's head in the sand. As others have said, as an airline it is doing OK, but filling hotels in the Mediterranean coastline is a cut throat business, and TC has/had to compete on that front, putting the company as a whole into jeopardy.
Yeah I was being a bit harsh. If you're going as a family for a couple of weeks it's probably very convenient especially if you're going for all inclusive.
Old 21-09-2019, 03:17 AM

GorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is here
There's a Palace related thing here as Lloyds and RBS, who were bailed out for billions, are holding TC to ransom for chickenshit money in the scheme of things.

Need a load of Thomas Cook fans to turn up and make a noise.
Old 21-09-2019, 03:18 AM

Dalianeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDalianeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDalianeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDalianeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDalianeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDalianeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDalianeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDalianeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDalianeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDalianeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDalianeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Weren’t TC bought by Chinese investors some time ago?
Old 21-09-2019, 06:32 AM
Life’s too short for shit

Worksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalianeagle View Post
Weren’t TC bought by Chinese investors some time ago?
No don’t think so. They were in talks
Old 21-09-2019, 07:25 AM
They didn't care enough

old git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is here
Even if they get funding this weekend surely in the longer term they are gone?
Once customers lose confidence their sales will fall of a cliff.

Last edited by old git; 21-09-2019 at 07:34 AM.
Old 21-09-2019, 07:32 AM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
I like all-inclusive package holidays where they pretty much do everything for you, including the coach to and from the airport, packed lunch from the hotel if you go out for the day and all that, but the prices during the school holidays are a total rip-off, so for the last few years we've done our own thing and booked it all separately ourselves
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 21-09-2019, 07:34 AM

norwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnorwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnorwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnorwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnorwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnorwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnorwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnorwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnorwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnorwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnorwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by old git View Post
Even if they get funding this weekend surely in the longer term they are gone?
Once consumers lose confidence their sales will fall of a cliff.
I agree with this view. The potential investors will through their due diligence know the bits that they want to operate and will let TC go into administration, let the taxpayer repatriate the customers and then do a cherry pick deal with the Administrators, probably with funding from RBS.

It's a funny old game Saint.
Old 21-09-2019, 07:46 AM

Penstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is here
We were repatriated when Monarch collapsed. We took off from Gatwick and I opened up my paper which had a double page spread on the pending collapse, it said that flight slots had been allocated to allow chartered flights to get people home, I booked flight only and knew we'd be fine, the collapse happened early the next day with thousands unable to fly from UK airports.

We were kept very well informed throughout the holiday by email and were given new flight details two days before, we received one phone call confirming our flight back from Majorca which was a tad concerning because we were in Lanzarote!, all sorted out and we flew back on the correct day and time by Quatar airways.

All a bit sad really, we'd used Monarch for many years, especially sad for one aircrew on our flight out because it was her first and last flight.

But anyone worried about the repatriation set up should note that it was very well handled. We met people at Lanzarote who had booked a package and had been kicked out of hotels. Not nice.
Old 21-09-2019, 08:02 AM
Just call me sarge!!

Ardent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradpitt View Post
Yes, I just checked, fortunately I did it through Amex, lets see how things pan out
If TC do go down the pan and you don't get any or all of your money back a section 75 claim against your credit card company should do the trick.

Always best to use your credit card for large purchases, especially if the seller is a bit dodgy. You don't get s75 cover on a debit card transaction unless part of the bill has been paid by cc.
Don't shoot the messenger, but someone tried telling me in the pub last week that we're close to administration again. I wouldn't have it, but he reckoned he had a 'source' and insisted it was true. I don't believe a word of it, but just hearing the 'a' word is enough to send a shiver down my spine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPFC2010
Ha ha, complete and utter bollocks.
Old 21-09-2019, 08:09 AM
Just call me sarge!!

Ardent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is here
Done our own thing for many years. Closest we get to a package holiday is Brittanny ferries holidays. We use them for crossing to Normandy or Brittany when we take the dogs on holiday with us. Great ships and service and the booked accommodation has always been very good either a house or a hotel.
Don't shoot the messenger, but someone tried telling me in the pub last week that we're close to administration again. I wouldn't have it, but he reckoned he had a 'source' and insisted it was true. I don't believe a word of it, but just hearing the 'a' word is enough to send a shiver down my spine.

Quote:
Old 21-09-2019, 08:27 AM
Just call me sarge!!

We did similar for skiing. Ferry or chunnel to cross to France. Drive to the alps. Accommodation we managed to find online.

Then we bought an apartment in a ski resort in Bulgaria, we now holiday all year round there.

BA to Sofia, hire car for the holiday.

We also take in other areas during these holidays. One year we drove down to Gallipoli in Turkey from Bansko via Greece.

Another year we drove out from the UK with our dogs via France, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, ferry to Greece and up into Bulgaria.

This year we flew to Istanbul for four nights then flew to Sofia for a night in Sofia and nine nights in Bansko. Jazz festival was on in Bansko whilst there. Free.

We've also started touring round Bulgaria. This year we went to Bourgas, Nesebar, looked in on Sunny Beach (didn't like what we saw there) and took the ferry for day trip to sozopol.

Next year we have three nights booked in Sozopol.

From our base in the Balkans we intend to visit Greece, the beach is only 1.5 hours away, North Macedonia, Serbia, Romania. The Balkans open up huge opportunities for us.

We book hotels using Booking.com. Don't know if its the best but it works for us. We booked our Istanbul hotel last September for 83 euros per night from 1st August this year. Just before we left the UK for Istanbul the room price for the same period had gone up to 240 euros.

If I had any advice, it would be to book very early, as soon as flights become available for your holiday, book accommodation early, car parking at the airport, and car hire.

Especially for school holidays.

Quote:
Old 21-09-2019, 09:29 AM
XXVII

little al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorking .Eagle View Post
I like all-inclusive package holidays where they pretty much do everything for you, including the coach to and from the airport, packed lunch from the hotel if you go out for the day and all that, but the prices during the school holidays are a total rip-off, so for the last few years we've done our own thing and booked it all separately ourselves
I have been going all inclusive for the last few years with TC, 2 weeks in Egypt at a great hotel with its own big waterpark onsite, in January when its not too hot, but hot enough, never paid more than £422 pp incl flights and transfer.
Old 21-09-2019, 09:32 AM
Danger Zone

Stavros 69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStavros 69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStavros 69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStavros 69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStavros 69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStavros 69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStavros 69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStavros 69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStavros 69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStavros 69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStavros 69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by little al View Post
I have been going all inclusive for the last few years with TC, 2 weeks in Egypt at a great hotel with its own big waterpark onsite, in January when its not too hot, but hot enough, never paid more than £422 pp incl flights and transfer.
And the shits
Old 21-09-2019, 09:39 AM
XXVII

little al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavros 69 View Post
And the shits
Never had them.
Old 21-09-2019, 11:35 AM
Dis-Member

Blind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by little al View Post
Since when has January been during the school holidays al?
Old 21-09-2019, 12:48 PM

Custard Pie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCustard Pie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCustard Pie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCustard Pie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCustard Pie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCustard Pie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCustard Pie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCustard Pie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCustard Pie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCustard Pie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCustard Pie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnieboy View Post
Unnecessary. But thanks.

If a charter style operation is charging more than scheduled but still in the shite then there's something very wrong. And as others have pointed out, the days of people not picking and choosing to get the cheapest in travel are over.

But thanks again, I now see that I should have taken the more expensive worse option
Sorry - just responded to, what I saw as a bit of smugness, with a bit of sarcasm. I am in fact booked with Thomas Cook to fly out on Monday and it's looking increasingly like it ain't gonna happen. But hey ho - the holiday's ATOL protected.
I normally book separate flights/hotels like you, so I suppose I'm part of TC's problem and getting my just desserts. We booked a package with TC this time because one of our party wanted a specific hotel and flight times and they had just the right package. It's not always stupidity or laziness that makes you take "the more expensive worse option".
Old 21-09-2019, 02:35 PM
Block U

Happy Arthur came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHappy Arthur came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHappy Arthur came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHappy Arthur came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHappy Arthur came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHappy Arthur came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHappy Arthur came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHappy Arthur came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHappy Arthur came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHappy Arthur came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHappy Arthur came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
^ I would prepare for holiday as normal. This situation is different to Monarch for example as there's a deal to be done.