Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Other Sport Ľ World of Football

Notices

World of Football All non Palace football talk - includes latest scores on Internationals and matches that affect palace.

Old 23-09-2019, 01:01 PM

GB2506 Sam the man is hereGB2506 Sam the man is hereGB2506 Sam the man is hereGB2506 Sam the man is hereGB2506 Sam the man is hereGB2506 Sam the man is hereGB2506 Sam the man is hereGB2506 Sam the man is hereGB2506 Sam the man is hereGB2506 Sam the man is hereGB2506 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchboard View Post
What was Mendy's reply?

We are in real danger of exaggerating offence where it is not warranted to the point real offences no longer have any meaning.
3 crying laughing faces, 1-0 clapping hands emoji
Old 23-09-2019, 01:54 PM
Millsie02

Shipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by EaglesSnapBack View Post
I feel Kick It Outs position is not based on the relationship between Silva and Mendy but between Silva and the millions of people that look up to him. It may be a joke between them, but will it be a joke when someone else is inspired to use it maliciously.

Make the joke, just don't do it on a public forum. I make completly unacceptable comments to my friends, but I don't publicise them
But seriously, is it really unacceptable? If he called him the 'n' word and it was an in joke yes that would be unacceptable.

Its not just that its a joke between friends it's clear it wasn't meant as a race thing in the slightest. Just because the character is black... Someone has already mentioned the simpsons, is Carl an offensive character because he is black? Is it racist to describe to the police an offender or potential witness as black when he is?

The image is of a black coloured cartoon character... It's hardly trying to offend Mendy in terms of race!

Last edited by Shipp Ahoy!; 23-09-2019 at 02:02 PM.
Old 23-09-2019, 02:19 PM

CP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipp Ahoy! View Post
But seriously, is it really unacceptable? If he called him the 'n' word and it was an in joke yes that would be unacceptable.

Its not just that its a joke between friends it's clear it wasn't meant as a race thing in the slightest. Just because the character is black... Someone has already mentioned the simpsons, is Carl an offensive character because he is black? Is it racist to describe to the police an offender or potential witness as black when he is?

The image is of a black coloured cartoon character... It's hardly trying to offend Mendy in terms of race!
I mean, the character is very golliwoggish, just look at it. Dunno if they’ve modernised it recently, but at one point he was even holding a spear. Really struggling to grasp the comparison to Carl from the Simpsons.
Old 23-09-2019, 04:47 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
If it means heís banned for our game then Iím calling RACIIIIIST!

ďSupporting Palace has a certain cult value Ė like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.Ē
- John Peel
Old 23-09-2019, 04:57 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Just done a bit of google researching on the company....the product was first released in 1961 where the original logo characters were caricatures of spear-wielding African natives. However, the modern-day Conguitos, are anthropomorphic blobs that lounge around swimming pools in an atmosphere of fun and leisure.

ďSupporting Palace has a certain cult value Ė like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.Ē
- John Peel
Old 23-09-2019, 05:18 PM

cpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindle View Post
Mendy called the police and had BS arrested. When that happened they found BS in nazi uniform with blackface.
It turned out that it wasn't Silva. After they washed the paint off his face, they found the real culprit:

Old 23-09-2019, 05:22 PM

CP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
Just done a bit of google researching on the company....the product was first released in 1961 where the original logo characters were caricatures of spear-wielding African natives. However, the modern-day Conguitos, are anthropomorphic blobs that lounge around swimming pools in an atmosphere of fun and leisure.
They still look like golliwogs or some kind of racist caricatures though. Spain is just a bit further behind Northern Europe on issues like these it would seem.
Old 23-09-2019, 05:25 PM

cpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is here
What makes you say that? Remember when those lovely Spanish blokes dressed up as Lewis Hamilton's family to support him?

Last edited by cpfc4evandeva; 23-09-2019 at 05:28 PM.
Old 23-09-2019, 05:33 PM

BuffotheEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBuffotheEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBuffotheEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBuffotheEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBuffotheEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBuffotheEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBuffotheEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBuffotheEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBuffotheEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBuffotheEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBuffotheEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP-RJW View Post
They still look like golliwogs or some kind of racist caricatures though. Spain is just a bit further behind Northern Europe on issues like these it would seem.
How do they look like that? So what you're saying is that no company can use any black characters or logos? That's the sort of thing that would get them accused of discrimination and/or lack of diversity. Seems like you're damned if you do and damned if you don't these days
Old 23-09-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffotheEagle View Post
How do they look like that? So what you're saying is that no company can use any black characters or logos? That's the sort of thing that would get them accused of discrimination and/or lack of diversity. Seems like you're damned if you do and damned if you don't these days
Google pictures of ‘minstrels’ caricatures (which I got mixed up with golliwogs), and compare. The character himself looks pretty much the same as the one from the 60s, who as Bubbs said, was a caricature of spear wielding Africans.

You’re being melodramatic and obtuse.
Old 23-09-2019, 05:50 PM
Yowzer!

Ade 70 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAde 70 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAde 70 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAde 70 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAde 70 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAde 70 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAde 70 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAde 70 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAde 70 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAde 70 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAde 70 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
If it means heís banned for our game then Iím calling RACIIIIIST!
and they should ban Mendy too for not being outraged by it - and therefore clearly supporting it
Old 23-09-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchboard View Post
What was Mendy's reply?

We are in real danger of exaggerating offence where it is not warranted to the point real offences no longer have any meaning.
Kinda, but to draw a comparison, there’s black people who don’t care if their white friends say the N word. Does that mean it’s acceptable to post a video of it on social media? I’m not so sure.

This definitely isn’t as serious, and I personally don’t think Silva should be punished. This is a famous brand that created the image, it should be taken up with them if people have a problem. Maybe just give him an explanation for why some people are ‘outraged.’
Old 23-09-2019, 06:00 PM

meee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is here
Why would anyone be outraged? All this farce does is take attention away from real issues.
Old 23-09-2019, 06:00 PM

Oli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP-RJW View Post
Kinda, but to draw a comparison, thereís black people who donít care if their white friends say the N word. Does that mean itís acceptable to post a video of it on social media? Iím not so sure.

This definitely isnít as serious, and I personally donít think Silva should be punished. This is a famous brand that created the image, it should be taken up with them if people have a problem. Maybe just give him an explanation for why some people are Ďoutraged.í
Good posts.

I think it'd help if Kick It Out gave a bit of context as to why they'd take issue with it as, clearly (and fairly), a lot of people won't appreciate why there's an issue here.
Old 23-09-2019, 06:01 PM

Oli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by meee View Post
Why would anyone be outraged? All this farce does is take attention away from real issues.
Does it though? There's been loads in the press in recent weeks about the crackdown on the racist abuse players are receiving on social media and I don't think this changes that at all.
Old 23-09-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meee View Post
Why would anyone be outraged? .
Hence the quotation marks.

Last edited by CP-RJW; 23-09-2019 at 06:03 PM.
Old 23-09-2019, 06:11 PM

bigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is here
Surely itís up to mendy to decide? He really is the only person who genuinely knows if silva is being racist. Certainly a lesson to be learnt about being more careful on social media but if mendy says they are friends and itís not offensive then it isnít and everyone else can **** off stirring shit that isnít their business?!

Racists can **** off but most of them have. This sort of thing is only still a problem because the PC brigade like to have something to have a hissy fit about even when itís something where neither of them considered any racial dimension!

Itís s great example of genuine equality. 2 friends share a joke not even thinking about race. Perfect... wait... we canít have that kind of equality though, itís not ******* dramatic enough
Old 23-09-2019, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigend1 View Post
Racists can **** off but most of them have. This sort of thing is only still a problem because the PC brigade like to have something to have a hissy fit about even when itís something where neither of them considered any racial dimension!
The complaint was made by Kick It Out, they've done a lot of good work and the bulk of the response that I've seen has been people agreeing with what you are saying rather than having any "hissy fits"
Old 23-09-2019, 06:39 PM

meee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli28 View Post
Does it though? There's been loads in the press in recent weeks about the crackdown on the racist abuse players are receiving on social media and I don't think this changes that at all.
The battle is lost though when things like this come out. It will bring all the right wing "freedom of speech" arguments out in spades. Everyone can see the abuse is wrong. Everyone can see that this isn't. The abuse should be the big story.
Old 23-09-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigend1 View Post
Surely itís up to mendy to decide? He really is the only person who genuinely knows if silva is being racist. Certainly a lesson to be learnt about being more careful on social media but if mendy says they are friends and itís not offensive then it isnít and everyone else can **** off stirring shit that isnít their business?!

Itís s great example of genuine equality. 2 friends share a joke not even thinking about race. Perfect... wait... we canít have that kind of equality though, itís not ******* dramatic enough
Repped