Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Other Sport Ľ World of Football

Notices

World of Football All non Palace football talk - includes latest scores on Internationals and matches that affect palace.

Old 23-09-2019, 06:49 PM

Oli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by meee View Post
The battle is lost though when things like this come out. It will bring all the right wing "freedom of speech" arguments out in spades. Everyone can see the abuse is wrong. Everyone can see that this isn't. The abuse should be the big story.
If everyone thought the abuse (which was a far, far bigger story than this is) is wrong then it wouldn't be happening so much.

This story doesn't mean anything to me and I wouldn't have thought twice about what Silva posted but I think that if a group like Kick It Out take issue with someone posting that picture publicly then it's worth hearing why there's an issue rather than dismissing it completely out of hand
Old 23-09-2019, 06:51 PM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP-RJW View Post
They still look like golliwogs or some kind of racist caricatures though. Spain is just a bit further behind Northern Europe on issues like these it would seem.
El Ag, yesterday:

Old 23-09-2019, 06:57 PM
Millsie02

Shipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigend1 View Post
Surely itís up to mendy to decide? He really is the only person who genuinely knows if silva is being racist. Certainly a lesson to be learnt about being more careful on social media but if mendy says they are friends and itís not offensive then it isnít and everyone else can **** off stirring shit that isnít their business?!

Racists can **** off but most of them have. This sort of thing is only still a problem because the PC brigade like to have something to have a hissy fit about even when itís something where neither of them considered any racial dimension!

Itís s great example of genuine equality. 2 friends share a joke not even thinking about race. Perfect... wait... we canít have that kind of equality though, itís not ******* dramatic enough
This should be put into the dictionary alongside the definition of racism/offensive
Old 23-09-2019, 08:26 PM
I'm thinking about it

Eddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigend1 View Post
Surely itís up to mendy to decide? He really is the only person who genuinely knows if silva is being racist. Certainly a lesson to be learnt about being more careful on social media but if mendy says they are friends and itís not offensive then it isnít and everyone else can **** off stirring shit that isnít their business?!

Racists can **** off but most of them have. This sort of thing is only still a problem because the PC brigade like to have something to have a hissy fit about even when itís something where neither of them considered any racial dimension!

Itís s great example of genuine equality. 2 friends share a joke not even thinking about race. Perfect... wait... we canít have that kind of equality though, itís not ******* dramatic enough
If it was a private joke then I agree, it's up to Mendy alone to decide if he's offended. But when do you make the joke publicly there is an absolutely huge number of other people who may well be offended. I think he has to take responsibility for it and there probably should be some kind of punishment. I think there almost has to be.

I am quite certain that there will be a lot of black people who are offended by it and that doesn't make them the PC brigade, it makes them people who are completely fed up of being made in to stereotypical caricatures. Regardless of it being a well known brand which plenty of people in Spain agree is offensive while the majority probably don't.

Last edited by Eddie McGoldrick's tash; 23-09-2019 at 08:29 PM.
Old 23-09-2019, 08:34 PM
Once More Into The Fray

Joe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash View Post
If it was a private joke then I agree, it's up to Mendy alone to decide if he's offended. But when do you make the joke publicly there is an absolutely huge number of other people who may well be offended. I think he has to take responsibility for it and there probably should be some kind of punishment. I think there almost has to be.

I am quite certain that there will be a lot of black people who are offended by it and that doesn't make them the PC brigade, it makes them people who are completely fed up of being made in to stereotypical caricatures. Regardless of it being a well known brand which plenty of people in Spain agree is offensive while the majority probably don't.

Quite.
Old 24-09-2019, 10:13 AM
Behind Enemy Lines.

MFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is here
If it was between two friends then it’s fine, but it’s not, by posting on social media, it is not ‘a joke between two friends’ as Silva says. He is probably too dim to realise this is a message to everyone that sees it. He should be punished. Next time keep your ego in check and just send it too him directly rather than look for appraisal from your followers.
Old 24-09-2019, 10:15 AM
Behind Enemy Lines.

MFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by EaglesSnapBack View Post
I feel Kick It Outs position is not based on the relationship between Silva and Mendy but between Silva and the millions of people that look up to him. It may be a joke between them, but will it be a joke when someone else is inspired to use it maliciously.

Make the joke, just don't do it on a public forum. I make completly unacceptable comments to my friends, but I don't publicise them
Said it better than me.
Old 24-09-2019, 10:20 AM

switchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is here
Quote:
I feel Kick It Outs position is not based on the relationship between Silva and Mendy but between Silva and the millions of people that look up to him. It may be a joke between them, but will it be a joke when someone else is inspired to use it maliciously.

Make the joke, just don't do it on a public forum. I make completly unacceptable comments to my friends, but I don't publicise them
And if somebody overheard you making unacceptable comments to your friends and then confronted you or passed your details onto the police or charities you would deem it massively unfair and a conversation between 2 friends regardless of who hears it in a public place.
"Every time a new player comes to the club I always try to make them understand what it means to play for Crystal Palace. It's a place unlike other clubs, the fans they're just incredible and I want them to understand that. It's part of my job as a senior player to make sure they know what it is and the passion behind it." - Speroni
Old 24-09-2019, 10:21 AM
Behind Enemy Lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchboard View Post
What was Mendy's reply?

We are in real danger of exaggerating offence where it is not warranted to the point real offences no longer have any meaning.
Doesnt matter what his reply was.
Old 24-09-2019, 10:25 AM
EAGLES

Billyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is here
Quote:

Exactly. It isnt racist and Silva isnt racist. But it could perceived that way and being a professional footballer and posting in on a public forum is stupid.
Old 24-09-2019, 10:28 AM
Behind Enemy Lines.

Quote:
And if somebody overheard you making unacceptable comments to your friends and then confronted you or passed your details onto the police or charities you would deem it massively unfair and a conversation between 2 friends regardless of who hears it in a public place.
In society yes we have to be careful what we say in earshot of other people. We all like making jokes with our friends, I aim to do this in confidence, if I was overheard I would be embarrassed and apologise if it was taken in this context. I think this is a normal way of being a functioning member of the public.

Context is important. Two friends know it’s a joke or one is portraying a role for comedic effect. Someone overhearing does not. It’s just about being respectful above anything else.
Old 24-09-2019, 10:29 AM

switchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFBias View Post
In society yes we have to be careful what we say in earshot of other people. We all like making jokes with my friends but I aim to do this in confidence, if I was overheard I would be embarrassed and apologise if it was taken in this context. I think this is a normal way of being a functioning member of the public.

Context is important. Two friends know itís a joke or one is portraying a role for comedic effect. Someone overhearing does not. Itís just about being respectful above anything else.
Context is important but Mendy's reaction to it does not form part of that context and is irrelevant?
"Every time a new player comes to the club I always try to make them understand what it means to play for Crystal Palace. It's a place unlike other clubs, the fans they're just incredible and I want them to understand that. It's part of my job as a senior player to make sure they know what it is and the passion behind it." - Speroni
Old 24-09-2019, 10:34 AM

macstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by meee View Post
Why would anyone be outraged? All this farce does is take attention away from real issues.
👍
Old 24-09-2019, 10:50 AM
sleep chaser

mushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is here
Silva isn't a racist.... but he is beyond thick.
Old 24-09-2019, 01:18 PM
Behind Enemy Lines.

Quote:
Context is important but Mendy's reaction to it does not form part of that context and is irrelevant?
Yes.
Old 24-09-2019, 07:46 PM

palacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ade 70 View Post
and they should ban Mendy too for not being outraged by it - and therefore clearly supporting it
It's clear to me that there is a racist undertone throughout that whole club and as a punishment, they should forfeit all 3 points of their first away league fixture in October. That'll learn 'em.
Old 24-09-2019, 08:21 PM
Lifeís too short for shit

Worksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by west country boy View Post
El Ag, yesterday:

Wait....

El Ag is a goat ?

Well chop me cock off and call me stumpy
Old 25-09-2019, 09:38 AM
I'm thinking about it

Eddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is here
I think Pep could do with an education course on racism as well to be honest. "There are many situations with white people where a cartoon will look similar"

A. Mendy doesn't look anything like that caricature
B. White people haven't been subject to lazy stereotypes throughout history, subjected to discrimination and prejudice that has gone as far as industrial scale slavery based on the colour of their skin.

Sorry Pep but wake up and realise defending your player isn't always right. He doesn't have to condemn him or call him racist but he certainly shouldn't be defending the tweet itself.
Old 25-09-2019, 09:40 AM
I'm thinking about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyd View Post
Exactly. It isnt racist and Silva isnt racist. But it could perceived that way and being a professional footballer and posting in on a public forum is stupid.
I think it the tweet was racist.

Does that mean Silva is actively or consciously racist, very possibly not. But he could certainly use some education around the subject.
Old 26-09-2019, 06:58 AM
Behind Enemy Lines.

I looked into what the character was actually tacking the stance that it probably was an over reaction, and instantly formed my opinion when seeing it. It’s the typical characture, big red lips, big eyes no real features. He might aswell taken a picture of a gollywog.

I have no issue with Silva making the ‘joke’ with Mendy, but dont post it on social media. The fact he is surprised either means he is terribly ignorant, very dim or both.

As ever, he shouldnt be labelled a ‘racist’, that happens too often people being written off by a moral high ground. I dont even think he has to be fined. I just think people should be smarter about social media.

Last edited by MFBias; 26-09-2019 at 07:00 AM.