Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 06-10-2019, 02:34 PM

Louis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
New Lewisham Travelodge

I passed a building site on the bus this morning, where there used to be a small Turkish supermarket. It's a medium sized corner site, and I remember some years ago there was a short-lived jazz club on the 1st floor above one of the shops on this site. A few months ago, the buildings were suddenly closed and demolished, and a sign now reads something like: "Coming soon, a 127-bed Travelodge, right in Lewisham Town Centre". By making the new building 2-3 times the height of the previous one, the can squeeze over 100 rooms in ...

To view the link you have to Register or Login

It's on the road from Lewisham to Catford, on the southern edge of Lewisham Town Centre, about 5 minutes walk from the Clock Tower, and 10-15 minutes walk from the station.

As a frequenter of Lewisham both day and night, I think it's got pluses and minuses. On the plus side, the shops and market together provide a reasonable choice at good prices. The long-running fruit and veg market, unlike some in London, seems to do well. There's a decent M&S, and the usual Primark, H&M, TK Maxx etc. WH Smith survives by having the main post office in-store. A few minutes from the centre, Lee High Road has a lot of cheap cafes, restaurants and hairdressers, which are busy.

Transport is excellent, with the main National Rail station and the newer DLR and lots of buses. It's easy to get to places like Greenwich and Docklands on the DLR, and the City or West End are accessible on National Rail.

On the downside, there's a lot of traffic, and it's pretty dead at night. There's a popular Wetherspoons, and a newer Antic pub called Suttons which struggles to attract many people, apart from the weekly Sunday quiz night. There are a few more pubs scattered around, and a bowling alley. And I think that's about it for a night out in Lewisham town centre. (In contrast, nearby Greenwich and Blackheath are busy with a good choice of pubs and restaurants.)

So when I saw the sign for the new 127 bed Travelodge, on the 'wrong' side of Lewisham, I started wondering if it would actually work, and who would want to stay in a budget hotel in that part of Lewisham. The 'Murky Depths' writer above ponders the same question.

There's a Premier Inn opposite Lewisham station, which has been there for a few years. It's 2 minutes walk from the station as opposed to 10-15 for the new Travelodge.

Premier Inn describe the Lewisham location as:
"A bustling south of the river spot, with great links to central London and Canary Wharf"

Will a Travelodge work here? What do you think?
Old 06-10-2019, 02:54 PM
9dw

Roadblock came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRoadblock came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRoadblock came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRoadblock came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRoadblock came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRoadblock came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRoadblock came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRoadblock came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRoadblock came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRoadblock came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRoadblock came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Don't know about the Travelodge or other budget hotels, but what they've done to the town centre with all those high rise flats is monstrous.
Old 06-10-2019, 03:09 PM

LN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is here
Given price of central London hotels including Travelodge's own there may be a market for this sort of hotel near to stations. It's likely that many people staying here may not even be visiting Lewisham but using it as a base if it is one of the cheaper ones. Even the Clapham Junction Travelodge I stayed in after the Wolves game can reach 100 plus on a weekday so for a little longer travel you can easily save 50% on that.
Old 06-10-2019, 03:32 PM
You looking at me?

Terrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadblock View Post
Don't know about the Travelodge or other budget hotels, but what they've done to the town centre with all those high rise flats is monstrous.
I grew up in Hither Green. Don't go up to town much now if I can help it. I remember being shocked at how it had changed especially around Molesworth Street. I expect most of London will look like Hong Kong in years to come.
Old 06-10-2019, 03:59 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Isn't there a Travelodge on London Road in Bromley just north of the town center? When I saw it, I remember thinking that is a strange place for a hotel, but I guess they do OK occupancy wise.

It's amazing in this day and age how many people still travel on business and require a basic room for the night close to a town center. I believe there is a similar type hotel opposite Bromley South Station... which I might consider staying at rather than my relatives which I hate doing next time I'm in Bromley. Much rather stay in a hotel.

It must be the "in thing" to build lower cost hotels... they are building 3 in the town I live in here.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:11 PM

dave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is here
There's a Premier Inn on the Sidcup Road at Fiveways. It used to be a large roadside pub (the Crossways) and then a Burger King. My brother had to stay in it last year for a month and said although it was fairly empty at the weekend it was packed with builders during the week.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred. (C.P. Scott)
Old 06-10-2019, 04:12 PM

LN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is here
I didn't realise until recently that Travelodge operates partly as a franchise operator. The new town centre Travelodge here in Lincoln is apparently owned by the City council under the Travelodge brand. This may mean that Travelodge may appear in various places in the future with less risk to the brand than if wholly owned?
Given that Travelodge often compare in price to Premier Inn I know which I would rather stay in and did last night (not Travelodge by the way!). Some Travelodges seem so cheaply built it's no wonder that they look as if money could be made out of them?
Old 06-10-2019, 05:20 PM

richdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrichdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrichdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrichdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrichdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrichdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrichdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrichdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrichdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrichdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrichdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
There's one on the Croydon Road in Penge which looks horrendous from the outside, in the office block above the car dealership. Seems to have been there a few years now so must do some kind of trade.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:00 PM

cpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is here
What I do know from my own experience, is that currently London feels like it has more Yank tourists than at any time than ever before. Yesterday before the game we went to The Mayflower, Prospect of Whitby, and The Grapes. All 3 were packed out, and our group appeared to be in the minority in terms of English accents This was also the case when I was on a Jack The Ripper tour a couple of weeks ago.

One would assume it is the very favourable exchange rate that is bringing them over?
Old 06-10-2019, 06:05 PM

Nth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is here
I only go to Lewisham for the rather good fruit and veg market. Certainly not the pubs these days. I'd imagine that from a cheap hotel spot it would have promise due to proximity to the DLR, trains to LB and the universities. Oh and to Dave Who RU I can't think of any place worse to spend a night in a hotel than at the Fiveways traffic junction.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:24 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
New Lewisham Travelodge

Maybe a lot of Yanks in London for the NFL game Today? Commentator mentioned yesterday he met a few before the game.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:31 PM
The Spiky One

When I was working I traveled a bit and usually stayed in a Holiday Inn Express or Hilton Gardens. Places were usually mainly occupied with builders/trades people. When there is a big project under construction you get men coming from all over on a contract (like Little Al is doing). Good business for the low key town hotels.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:16 PM

Selhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nth Kent Eagle View Post
I only go to Lewisham for the rather good fruit and veg market. Certainly not the pubs these days. I'd imagine that from a cheap hotel spot it would have promise due to proximity to the DLR, trains to LB and the universities. Oh and to Dave Who RU I can't think of any place worse to spend a night in a hotel than at the Fiveways traffic junction.
Dylan's is alright for a gargle.

The five ways Travelodge is wicked. My father in law & his wife occasionally stay in it, which means they're not staying at mine.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:14 AM

Louis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selhurst Celtic View Post
Dylan's is alright for a gargle.

Now painted green and called The Joiners Arms

Wetherspoons ('The Watch House') is fine too, the other end of the market.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:17 AM

Thinking about this again, if the Lewisham one doesn't work out (as I think is possible), I suppose they could always convert it into 'budget' flats ... 127 x 350,000 = 44 million
Old 07-10-2019, 07:14 AM

jjeagle Sam the man is herejjeagle Sam the man is herejjeagle Sam the man is herejjeagle Sam the man is herejjeagle Sam the man is herejjeagle Sam the man is herejjeagle Sam the man is herejjeagle Sam the man is herejjeagle Sam the man is herejjeagle Sam the man is herejjeagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
Isn't there a Travelodge on London Road in Bromley just north of the town center? When I saw it, I remember thinking that is a strange place for a hotel, but I guess they do OK occupancy wise.

It's amazing in this day and age how many people still travel on business and require a basic room for the night close to a town center. I believe there is a similar type hotel opposite Bromley South Station... which I might consider staying at rather than my relatives which I hate doing next time I'm in Bromley. Much rather stay in a hotel.

It must be the "in thing" to build lower cost hotels... they are building 3 in the town I live in here.
There is also another Travelodge right in Bromley town centre (Elmfield Road). The new hotel down at Bromley South is a Premier Inn.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:20 AM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
As a frequenter of Lewisham both day and night, I think it's got pluses and minuses. On the plus side, the shops and market together provide a reasonable choice at good prices. The long-running fruit and veg market, unlike some in London, seems to do well. There's a decent M&S, and the usual Primark, H&M, TK Maxx etc. WH Smith survives by having the main post office in-store. A few minutes from the centre, Lee High Road has a lot of cheap cafes, restaurants and hairdressers, which are busy.
I had a Saturday job in that WHSmith for many years
Old 08-10-2019, 03:40 PM

Paulinmorden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePaulinmorden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePaulinmorden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePaulinmorden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePaulinmorden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePaulinmorden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePaulinmorden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePaulinmorden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePaulinmorden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePaulinmorden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePaulinmorden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Years before the Turkish supermarket this was a trendy bar/eating place (probably the 1st in Lewisham). Remember seeing Ian Wright & Mark Bright standing outside when they were playing together for us.
Grew up in Lewisham (student job in Sainsburys) and on my rare trips back the sense of the crammed new builds that you get when you come out of the station is so different.
Old 08-10-2019, 05:52 PM
SC's wet dream

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Is the flea market still there? Had a great record stall.

The BBS - Where Brighton Neggers have imaginary lawyers.
Old 08-10-2019, 05:54 PM
Registered Useless

charltonhater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcharltonhater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcharltonhater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcharltonhater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcharltonhater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcharltonhater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcharltonhater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcharltonhater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcharltonhater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcharltonhater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcharltonhater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
Maybe a lot of Yanks in London for the NFL game Today? Commentator mentioned yesterday he met a few before the game.

It's not built yet Hedgehog so unless they were camping..