Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

View Poll Results: What's the best Floyd Album?
Piper at the Gates of Dawn 8 4.88%
A Saucerful of Secrets 0 0%
Soundtrack to "More" 1 0.61%
Ummagumma 3 1.83%
Atom Heart Mother 4 2.44%
Meddle 12 7.32%
Obscured By Clouds 2 1.22%
Dark Side of the Moon 49 29.88%
Wish You Were Here 32 19.51%
Animals 13 7.93%
The Wall 19 11.59%
The Final Cut 5 3.05%
I don't like Pink Floyd but thought I'd vote anyway 16 9.76%
A Momentary Lapse of Reason 0 0%
The Division Bell 0 0%
The Endless River 0 0%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24-09-2019, 09:11 AM

dave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle of Wight View Post
Did the Yes album last night. I hope tonight is better.
Well it's a progression

Comment is free, but facts are sacred. (C.P. Scott)
Old 24-09-2019, 10:37 AM

LuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I am a big fan of Pink Floyd, and as for my favourite Floyd album then it is a dead heat between TWO musically outstanding albums. "Wish You Were Here" and the amazingly inovative "Dark Side Of The Moon" probably albums of that ilk we will never see produced again.
Old 24-09-2019, 06:22 PM

Oldtown Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldtown Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldtown Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldtown Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldtown Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldtown Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldtown Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldtown Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldtown Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldtown Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldtown Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
That bit of the guitar solo on Yours Is No Disgrace where it jumps between speaker to speaker was amazing at the time. I reckon it does get better with Fragile, but after Close To The Edge it goes down hill. Back on thread I like Meddle but you cannot deny that DSOTM and WYWH are two very fine albums.
Old 24-09-2019, 06:45 PM
In Spain forever

nibalama came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnibalama came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnibalama came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnibalama came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnibalama came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnibalama came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnibalama came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnibalama came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnibalama came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnibalama came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnibalama came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtown Eagle View Post
That bit of the guitar solo on Yours Is No Disgrace where it jumps between speaker to speaker was amazing at the time. I reckon it does get better with Fragile, but after Close To The Edge it goes down hill. Back on thread I like Meddle but you cannot deny that DSOTM and WYWH are two very fine albums.
Agree with this. Three great albums and then...Went to Las Vegas Airport in 1993 and collected the hire car. First song as we switched on the radio was Roundabout. My friend, who is fair to say disliked Yes until then, turned to me and said what a great song.
Is that speaker switch from Solid Change Of Time/Total Mass Retain ?
Old 24-09-2019, 07:28 PM

dave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by nibalama View Post
Agree with this. Three great albums and then...Went to Las Vegas Airport in 1993 and collected the hire car. First song as we switched on the radio was Roundabout. My friend, who is fair to say disliked Yes until then, turned to me and said what a great song.
Is that speaker switch from Solid Change Of Time/Total Mass Retain ?
No definitely the guitar solo in Yours is no Disgrace and not forgetting the spiralling organ at the end of the song. Great music.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred. (C.P. Scott)
Old 25-09-2019, 07:47 PM

Isle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is here
Fragile done, still not there yet I’m hoping tonight will light the fuse. I’ll then skip through all three again to see if going back to the beginning helps.

Member of the Magnificent 16
29th May 2004
Member of the Magnificent 1007
22nd May 2006
Member of the Magnificent 33000
27th May 2013
Member of the Strange Aircraft Clique
16th December 2018
Old 26-09-2019, 06:07 AM
Greatest Mouse Detective

Location: In a post box in the heart of Mayfair, and at Lloyd's
DANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is here
Perhaps it's worth starting a separate thread for Yes chat?
Old 26-09-2019, 07:11 AM

Isle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is here
No after last night I won’t be trying again

Member of the Magnificent 16
29th May 2004
Member of the Magnificent 1007
22nd May 2006
Member of the Magnificent 33000
27th May 2013
Member of the Strange Aircraft Clique
16th December 2018
Old 26-09-2019, 07:39 AM

Jordan555x came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJordan555x came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJordan555x came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJordan555x came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJordan555x came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJordan555x came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJordan555x came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJordan555x came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJordan555x came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJordan555x came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJordan555x came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Beyond the horizon..of the place we lived when we were young, in a world of magnets and miracles... our thougbts strayed constantly and without boundary...the ringing of the Division Bell had begun

To view the link you have to Register or Login

God bless Pink Floyd
Hey you, out there beyond the wall
Breaking bottles in the hall
Can you help me?
Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all
Together we stand, divided we fall

Last edited by Jordan555x; 26-09-2019 at 07:54 AM.
Old 26-09-2019, 07:00 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_who_ru View Post
If you want 3 early ones then The Yes Album, Fragile and Close to the Edge, all released in that order. Close to the Edge, prog rock at its greatest.
IOW, Dave has given you three good choices there, but I have to say that 'Yessongs' - the triple live album is my favourite. I just find the renditions there so much more dynamic. Have a listen to 'Starship Trooper', 'Perpetual Change' and 'Yours is no Disgrace ' from that set. It captures the band's live energy and occasional funkyness. My favourite studio LP is 'Relayer', but I think that might be a step too far for you. If you listen to the first couple of minutes of 'Soundchaser', you'll hear what I mean
Also, there is a fabulous solo LP by bass player Chris Squire called 'Fish Out of Water' which is very accessible.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:40 AM
Pass me the Vongole

Don-Donovani : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon-Donovani : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon-Donovani : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon-Donovani : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon-Donovani : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon-Donovani : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon-Donovani : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon-Donovani : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon-Donovani : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon-Donovani : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon-Donovani : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuieJack View Post
I am a big fan of Pink Floyd, and as for my favourite Floyd album then it is a dead heat between TWO musically outstanding albums. "Wish You Were Here" and the amazingly innovative "Dark Side Of The Moon" probably albums of that ilk we will never see produced again.
Agree with this, and my third place vote goes to the Animals album.

As an old boy I think I'm just about allowed to say, 'they dont mek em like that anymore'
Old 10-10-2019, 12:40 PM
SC's wet dream

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Kind of off the subject, but not, a mate of mine Ella, is singing with Brit Floyd tribute band.....like this

The BBS - Where Brighton Neggers have imaginary lawyers.
Old 20-11-2019, 09:20 PM
Vive La Revolution

Shoreditch CPFC Sam the man is hereShoreditch CPFC Sam the man is hereShoreditch CPFC Sam the man is hereShoreditch CPFC Sam the man is hereShoreditch CPFC Sam the man is hereShoreditch CPFC Sam the man is hereShoreditch CPFC Sam the man is hereShoreditch CPFC Sam the man is hereShoreditch CPFC Sam the man is hereShoreditch CPFC Sam the man is hereShoreditch CPFC Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by cross_eyed_ed View Post
There's been a decent give away with Classic Rock magazine this month - "The Little Book of Pink Floyd". Some interesting stories in there.
Care to share any? I recently read Nick Mason's book and any more stories and perspectives appreciated.
Old 20-11-2019, 09:23 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
It’s a strange thing; I’ve just never enjoyed listening to the Floyd and yet I love and adore Syd Barrett’s solo albums.

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel
Old 20-11-2019, 09:23 PM
Vive La Revolution

Shoreditch CPFC Sam the man is hereShoreditch CPFC Sam the man is hereShoreditch CPFC Sam the man is hereShoreditch CPFC Sam the man is hereShoreditch CPFC Sam the man is hereShoreditch CPFC Sam the man is hereShoreditch CPFC Sam the man is hereShoreditch CPFC Sam the man is hereShoreditch CPFC Sam the man is hereShoreditch CPFC Sam the man is hereShoreditch CPFC Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bo Jangles View Post
The Wall for me, one of my favourites of all time and seen it live a couple of times which brings the whole 'show' to life.
Same. I can see why DSOTM is miles ahead in the poll and its more perfect than The Wall, but I'm just more moved by The Wall, possibly because of the live shows.
Old Yesterday, 07:50 AM
Greatest Mouse Detective

Location: In a post box in the heart of Mayfair, and at Lloyd's
DANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
It’s a strange thing; I’ve just never enjoyed listening to the Floyd and yet I love and adore Syd Barrett’s solo albums.
Blimey. I can't get through solo Syd, try as I might.