Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

View Poll Results: What's the best Floyd Album?
Piper at the Gates of Dawn 8 4.97%
A Saucerful of Secrets 0 0%
Soundtrack to "More" 1 0.62%
Ummagumma 3 1.86%
Atom Heart Mother 4 2.48%
Meddle 12 7.45%
Obscured By Clouds 2 1.24%
Dark Side of the Moon 47 29.19%
Wish You Were Here 32 19.88%
Animals 13 8.07%
The Wall 18 11.18%
The Final Cut 5 3.11%
I don't like Pink Floyd but thought I'd vote anyway 16 9.94%
A Momentary Lapse of Reason 0 0%
The Division Bell 0 0%
The Endless River 0 0%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29-01-2003, 07:48 PM
Puncheon above our weight

sydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is here
I LOVE pink Floyd and i have most of the solo stuff they did as well. I really thought "division bell" was a fantastic album (even though it's not on PK's poll ) Wish you were here and Animals were great too.

I bought the dave Gilmour dvd the other day,it was kinda funny,he's now just a fat grey headed man playing guitar.......but he does it SOOOOOOO well....definately worthy of a viewing.
Old 29-01-2003, 07:52 PM

Panman268 Panman268 Panman268 Panman268 Panman268 Panman268 Panman268 Panman268 Panman268 Panman268 Panman268
Comfortably Numb is my fave track
Old 29-01-2003, 07:53 PM

Panman268 Panman268 Panman268 Panman268 Panman268 Panman268 Panman268 Panman268 Panman268 Panman268 Panman268
Oh and Learning to Fly on Momentary Lapse of Reason
Old 29-01-2003, 07:55 PM

Dave Gilmour, Eric Clapton, Carlos Santana, Jimi Hendrix and Gary Moore are the greatest gutarists who ever breathed
Old 29-01-2003, 08:10 PM

sydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is here
Oh I like Obscured by clouds too!! oh feck it,I like the whole discography
Old 29-01-2003, 09:31 PM

currently listening to the track "coming back to life" masterpiece
Old 29-01-2003, 09:44 PM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by Panman268
Jimi Hendrix is the greatest gutarist who ever breathed
More like it!
Old 29-01-2003, 10:49 PM

Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work
'Animals' - a dark, brooding, bitter and vitriolic commentary on society. The music was prog but the attitude was punk.

I'm with PK on the the post split albums. Look at the writing credits and note just how much of AMLOR comes from external sources. Similarly with TBD - most of the lyrics are by Gilmour's soon-to-be wife (and very tame attacks on Waters they are). The problem is that those albums try so hard to sound Floydish that they end up sounding a bit desperate.

As for Waters solo career it never hit the heights it should have. 'Pros & Cons' is a difficult album to follow and 'Radio KAOS' sounds a bit dated now and has the funny situation of generally good individual songs not making up a good whole album. A lot of that has to do with the overall concept. 'Amused To Death' is superb piece of work but its popular recognition never came close to the critical acclaim it received. Like 'Dark Side of the Moon' it still sounds contempary and the themes are very relevant today which is the mark of a truly classic album.
Old 29-01-2003, 10:57 PM

Del Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
The obvious mid-seventies classics will probably win the poll. For me, "Meddle" (One of these days and Echoes being standouts) and Atom Heart Mother are the ones I enjoy the most. Great records of the time !
Old 30-01-2003, 07:40 AM

Gooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Originally posted by Men At Work
Quote:

Like 'Dark Side of the Moon' it still sounds contempary and the themes are very relevant today which is the mark of a truly classic album.
Spot on.

Look at the lyrics from Us and Them that I've used as my signature - you wouldn't believe they were written 30 years ago!
Old 30-01-2003, 09:43 AM
Greatest Mouse Detective

Location: In a post box in the heart of Mayfair, and at Lloyd's
DANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by El Aguila
Anyway,
"Ground floor - haberdashery, gent's ready made suits" eh, Dangermouse?
I think you'll find it's 'Ground floor - perfumery, stationary and leather goods, wigs and haberdashery, kitchenware and food, going up...'
Old 30-01-2003, 09:50 AM
Greatest Mouse Detective

Location: In a post box in the heart of Mayfair, and at Lloyd's
DANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by Del Martian
The obvious mid-seventies classics will probably win the poll. For me, "Meddle" (One of these days and Echoes being standouts) and Atom Heart Mother are the ones I enjoy the most. Great records of the time !
I once saw Meddle referred to as the first ever ambient record; not really in to ambient music, but I can see what they're driving at.

And on that point, when I was a student, one of the record stalls with a regular spot at the union sold a number of ambient/trance remixes of whole Floyd albums, including Atom, Meddle, Obscured and Dark Side. Not sure if they were entirely official, as I've never seen them in British record shops, and they came from Holland, home of the bootleg. Unfortunately, being a student I couldn't afford to risk a tenner on them.
Old 30-01-2003, 09:59 AM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by DANGERMOUSE
I think you'll find it's 'Ground floor - perfumery, stationary and leather goods, wigs and haberdashery, kitchenware and food, going up...'
I beg your pardon.
Old 30-01-2003, 10:05 AM
Setting sail.

TAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is here
He's right you know.
Old 30-01-2003, 10:19 AM
Middle class left.

Quote:
Originally posted by TAK
He's right you know.
I knew he would be. I never imagined that Dangermouse would err quoting the classics.
Old 30-01-2003, 10:49 AM
Tired and Emotional

Smurph sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkSmurph sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkSmurph sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkSmurph sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkSmurph sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkSmurph sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkSmurph sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkSmurph sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkSmurph sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkSmurph sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkSmurph sings up the sun in a dawn so very dark
Quote:
Originally posted by DANGERMOUSE
Oddly (since I turned out to be a massive fan of the Floyd) the first time I heard this was around a mate's house when we were about 15-16. I took the piss out of 'Money' as I reckoned it was a rip-off of 'Are You Being Served?' ...
A song that really is a rip off of the Are You being Served theme tune is Elastica's Connection.
Old 30-01-2003, 10:51 AM
www.b00mb0x.org

Del Gland came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDel Gland came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDel Gland came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDel Gland came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDel Gland came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDel Gland came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDel Gland came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDel Gland came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDel Gland came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDel Gland came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDel Gland came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Surely Psychokiller's favourite track must be "Careful With That Axe, Eugene"?
Old 30-01-2003, 10:55 AM
Man and beast

Elephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is here
Thanks for including the 'don't like Floyd' option. We've coming at ya, closing in on first place.

I know its narrow-minded but I still find it incredible that anyone who went through any kind of punk/new wave moment could find it within themselves to not spit on Pink Floyd. Has to be said I've only ever heard Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall. How anyone can defend the second one will be a mystery unsolved at my death.
Old 30-01-2003, 10:59 AM

Gooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Just as anyone who went through any kind of Pink Floyd moment found it quite hard not to spit on punk, I guess.
Old 30-01-2003, 11:00 AM
Middle class left.

Quote:
Originally posted by Elephant with mouse gyp
Thanks for including the 'don't like Floyd' option. We've coming at ya, closing in on first place.

I know its narrow-minded but I still find it incredible that anyone who went through any kind of punk/new wave moment could find it within themselves to not spit on Pink Floyd. Has to be said I've only ever heard Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall. How anyone can defend the second one will be a mystery unsolved at my death.
Well, you should check out "Piper at the Gates of Dawn", then.