Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

View Poll Results: What's the best Floyd Album?
Piper at the Gates of Dawn 8 4.97%
A Saucerful of Secrets 0 0%
Soundtrack to "More" 1 0.62%
Ummagumma 3 1.86%
Atom Heart Mother 4 2.48%
Meddle 12 7.45%
Obscured By Clouds 2 1.24%
Dark Side of the Moon 47 29.19%
Wish You Were Here 32 19.88%
Animals 13 8.07%
The Wall 18 11.18%
The Final Cut 5 3.11%
I don't like Pink Floyd but thought I'd vote anyway 16 9.94%
A Momentary Lapse of Reason 0 0%
The Division Bell 0 0%
The Endless River 0 0%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30-01-2003, 11:12 AM
War Chief

Cleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by Elephant with mouse gyp
I know its narrow-minded but I still find it incredible that anyone who went through any kind of punk/new wave moment could find it within themselves to not spit on Pink Floyd. Has to be said I've only ever heard Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall. How anyone can defend the second one will be a mystery unsolved at my death.
If those are the only two albums you've listened to, then I can totally understand where you are coming from. But, as a proud owner of 'The Best And The Rest of Sham 69', I can still enjoy most Pink Floyd, and still acknowledge they have been pretty tedious from 1977 onwards. The raw musical brilliance of Syd Barrett on the first two albums was much admired by many punks, and the I'm a great fan of the work upto Dark Side of The Moon. The interest after that is less that actual music, but the pyschological disintergration of Roger Waters as he struck out at everybody including himself. Ultimately, however, this was bound to lead to it all becoming too self-indulgent, and when he left you retained a band of journeymen partime musicians parttime accountants.

"You're just part of everything that's happened to us tonight... and it's all bad"
Old 30-01-2003, 11:17 AM

gingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Division bell for me but it's not on the list
Old 30-01-2003, 11:47 AM
Greatest Mouse Detective

Location: In a post box in the heart of Mayfair, and at Lloyd's
DANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Thanks for including the 'don't like Floyd' option. We've coming at ya, closing in on first place.

I know its narrow-minded but I still find it incredible that anyone who went through any kind of punk/new wave moment could find it within themselves to not spit on Pink Floyd. Has to be said I've only ever heard Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall. How anyone can defend the second one will be a mystery unsolved at my death.
Presumably you're a proud owner of the I ******* HATE PINK FLOYD T-shirt? The thing is, those who have a go at the Floyd are generally missing the target - they should be having a go at the likes of Yes and (dare I say it?) Genesis.
Old 30-01-2003, 11:50 AM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by DANGERMOUSE
Presumably you're a proud owner of the I ******* HATE PINK FLOYD T-shirt? The thing is, those who have a go at the Floyd are generally missing the target - they should be having a go at the likes of Yes and (dare I say it?) Genesis.
Stellavista speaks very highly of Yes, and he's usually sound - I must admit I have never had the pleasure.
Old 30-01-2003, 11:55 AM
Man and beast

Elephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is here
My older cousin forced all that stuff on me and in my naivety I actually liked Emerson Lake Palmer (ELP to believers) for a while. Brain Salad Surgery and all that.

Cleon has come close to convincing me on Floyd. I think Stella works on a higher musical plane than me where sound innovation is its own special reward. Anyone else who wants me to put words in their mouth, I'm always happy to oblige.
Old 30-01-2003, 12:01 PM
Greatest Mouse Detective

DANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by El Aguila
Stellavista speaks very highly of Yes, and he's usually sound - I must admit I have never had the pleasure.
A uni housemate of mine lent me a couple of albums. Full of the tuneless, widdly-widdly guitar scales and keyboard runs, pretentious rubbish you'd expect from the worst kind of prog band.

Having said that, 'Owner of a Lonely Heart' goes down a storm on Vice City!
Old 30-01-2003, 02:00 PM

Tim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:

That's a prejudice I carried for many years, anything immediately pre-punk was cak. Recently though I discovered I rather like Floyd, Deep Purple, Focus, Thin Lizzy, etc etc. Recently bought the isle of wight festival dvd and it appears I might even have to reassess my view of (ulp) Emerson Lake and Palmer. Can't ever see me coming round to Yes or John McLaughlins Mahavishnu Orchestra though. And The Wall stinks the place up pretty bad.
Old 30-01-2003, 02:06 PM
Greatest Mouse Detective

What about Gong? How can anyone dislike such classics as 'Sold to the Highest Buddha' and 'Flute Salad'?
Old 30-01-2003, 02:12 PM

dickie  - why do you have to be so good?dickie  - why do you have to be so good?dickie  - why do you have to be so good?dickie  - why do you have to be so good?dickie  - why do you have to be so good?dickie  - why do you have to be so good?dickie  - why do you have to be so good?dickie  - why do you have to be so good?dickie  - why do you have to be so good?dickie  - why do you have to be so good?dickie  - why do you have to be so good?
There is no dark side of the moon really.
Matter of fact it's all dark!
Old 30-01-2003, 02:34 PM
Greatest Mouse Detective

I never said I was frightened of dying...
Old 30-01-2003, 02:54 PM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
I know where EwmG is coming from, you nippers will never understand quite how violent the reaction was because you're entirely accustomed to there being several different streams of music listeners.... but I'm sure it explains why, to this day, I've never knowingly listened to ELP or Yes or Genesis. Got over Thin Lizzy years ago though, Tim!
Old 30-01-2003, 03:04 PM

Gooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Saw Thin Lizzy live years ago.

Ace.

Cannot compare Yes to Floyd.

Lots of Floyd stands up pretty well to the test of time.

Yes just...doesn't.
Old 30-01-2003, 03:06 PM
Fresh Vince of Hilaire

Psychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is here
No?
Old 30-01-2003, 04:10 PM
'96 '97 '04.. I was there

Ric Flair is playing for a contract
Delicate Sound of Thunder! What an album! "IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiii, have become, comfortably numb!" Ok, ok, ok, just a little pin prick..........................!
Cardiff 2005 - We Buggered It Up
Old 30-01-2003, 09:51 PM

Tim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by El Aguila
Got over Thin Lizzy years ago though, Tim!
You never forget your first love. They were the first band I ever saw - 1972 the Eric Bell lineup in the Ebbisham Hall Epsom (sadly now WH Smiths). I threw them over for that punk rock floozie but a couple of years ago they welcomed me back with open arms.
Old 30-01-2003, 10:17 PM
Middle class left.

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim of the 80's
You never forget your first love. They were the first band I ever saw - 1972 the Eric Bell lineup in the Ebbisham Hall Epsom (sadly now WH Smiths). I threw them over for that punk rock floozie but a couple of years ago they welcomed me back with open arms.
I mean, I got over thinking they were uncool in about ten minutes. Wish I could have seen them in 1972. The only decent band ever to come out of the Republic of Ireland?
Old 30-01-2003, 10:26 PM

Irish bands? The Radiators From Space were pretty good, with Phil Chevron, later to be a Pogue. Saw them supporting Lizzy at the Hammersmith Odeon on the Johnny the Fox tour. Van Morrison? Can't think of anyone else. Certainly not U2!
Old 30-01-2003, 11:05 PM
Nuclear Member

Selhurst300 Sam the man is hereSelhurst300 Sam the man is hereSelhurst300 Sam the man is hereSelhurst300 Sam the man is hereSelhurst300 Sam the man is hereSelhurst300 Sam the man is hereSelhurst300 Sam the man is hereSelhurst300 Sam the man is hereSelhurst300 Sam the man is hereSelhurst300 Sam the man is hereSelhurst300 Sam the man is here
Meddle was excellent, but spoilt by the scousers' singing "you'll never walk alone".
Old 31-01-2003, 08:47 AM

Coulsdon Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineCoulsdon Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineCoulsdon Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineCoulsdon Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineCoulsdon Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineCoulsdon Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineCoulsdon Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineCoulsdon Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineCoulsdon Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineCoulsdon Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineCoulsdon Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fine
Its funny how people dismiss an artist or music genre, without giving it a go, personally i look past the 'fashion' side of music, if i like it, i like it, no matter who its by, my record collection goes from Motorhead to Tchaikovsky, Gong to James Brown, Bob Marley to the Sex Pistols, dont be blinkered, you'll miss a lot of good music otherwise.
Old 31-01-2003, 09:45 AM
Middle class left.

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim of the 80's
Irish bands? The Radiators From Space were pretty good, with Phil Chevron, later to be a Pogue. Saw them supporting Lizzy at the Hammersmith Odeon on the Johnny the Fox tour. Van Morrison? Can't think of anyone else. Certainly not U2!
Van Morrison is from Belfast, I think. Anyway I know Neil the Eagle's going to come along talking about the Boomtown Rats in a minute so if you don't mind.......