Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 24-10-2007, 01:35 AM
handwringing islamofacist

Clapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I know people are in the middle of this and have many things on their minds - it's a big debate, all sorts of political scores are there to be made - but, forgive me, when are we going to start waking up to our own behaviour and its consequences?

To view the link you have to Register or Login

These fires fit perfectly with all sorts of predictions that have been made in the past with climate change consequences. That doesn't prove that climate change is the absolute and direct cause of these events - we can never make those kind of statements; but it looks very likely that these fires fit the hypothesis that climate change is under way and that we are just looking at the (forgive the analogy) tip of the iceberg. The most recent studies tell us that fires in California are going to get worse and worse.

Extra helicoptors and planes just compound the problem by releasing more CO2. Simple as that.

Is the solution weird? Do I have to become a homosexual communist? Must I start being more "neighbourly" or some such shit when I just want to watch telly?

No! None of these terrors are obligatory.

All you have to do is consume less fossil-fuel-sourced energy. If you're really up for the gig, consume about 60% less amd you'll be doing your bit. Less still, and you'll be taking up some slack from some eejdut somewhere who isn't listening yet.

It won't stop forest fires tomorrow by the way, but it will give the species and you and your families a sporting chance of not making this the normal future.

Walter Benjamin
Old 24-10-2007, 01:44 AM
PMA

IW_Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIW_Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIW_Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIW_Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIW_Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIW_Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIW_Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIW_Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIW_Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIW_Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIW_Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by Clapham Rover
I know people are in the middle of this and have many things on their minds - it's a big debate, all sorts of political scores are there to be made - but, forgive me, when are we going to start waking up to our own behaviour and its consequences?

These fires fit perfectly with all sorts of predictions that have been made in the past with climate change consequences. That doesn't prove that climate change is the absolute and direct cause of these events - we can never make those kind of statements; but it looks very likely that these fires fit the hypothesis that climate change is under way and that we are just looking at the (forgive the analogy) tip of the iceberg. The most recent studies tell us that fires in California are going to get worse and worse.

Extra helicoptors and planes just compound the problem by releasing more CO2. Simple as that.

Is the solution weird? Do I have to become a homosexual communist? Must I start being more "neighbourly" or some such shit when I just want to watch telly?

No! None of these terrors are obligatory.

All you have to do is consume less fossil-fuel-sourced energy. If you're really up for the gig, consume about 60% less amd you'll be doing your bit. Less still, and you'll be taking up some slack from some eejdut somewhere who isn't listening yet.

It won't stop forest fires tomorrow by the way, but it will give the species and you and your families a sporting chance of not making this the normal future.
I thought some of these fires were started deliberately? If thats the case, puts your post out the window...
Old 24-10-2007, 01:49 AM
handwringing islamofacist

Clapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by IW_Eagle
I thought some of these fires were started deliberately? If thats the case, puts your post out the window...
Nope, absolutely not if you have even a gram of knowledge about the subject.

Drier summers, more winds - therefore more fires, wetter winters therefore more 'undergrowth' to burn in the summer fires etc etc etc. There have been some very recent studies predicting exactly these events. Human intervention is irrelevant - increasing electrical storm activity makes a couple of teenagers, a lighter and a pile of kindling look like an irrelevance.

Walter Benjamin
Old 24-10-2007, 06:20 PM
Sad Moon Risin'

Location: 3951 miles (6358 km) (3433 nautical miles) from Selhurst
jlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Hedgehog -- Check PM's please!!!!!
"It hurts us here," Jose Luis Luviano, a fan in Mexico City, said as he punched his chest. Tears melted the Mexican flags painted on his cheeks. "There has to be an end to this disgrace where (Americans) treat us like rats and idiots."
-WC 2002 US 2 - 0 Mexico

Facebook
Old 24-10-2007, 07:37 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by jlmatthews
Hedgehog -- Check PM's please!!!!!
10-4, roger that.
Old 24-10-2007, 07:50 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by Clapham Rover
Drier summers, more winds - therefore more fires, wetter winters therefore more 'undergrowth' to burn in the summer fires etc etc etc. There have been some very recent studies predicting exactly these events. Human intervention is irrelevant - increasing electrical storm activity makes a couple of teenagers, a lighter and a pile of kindling look like an irrelevance.
Add building "oasis'" in the deserts (causing unnatural growth of vegetation on naturally arid desert land with no natural water supply), flattening hillsides for home construction (changing wind/air patterns), actually not allowing fires to burn naturally after lightening strikes (which naturally thins out the vegetation below the tree line), and you compound the mess man is making of things.
Old 24-10-2007, 08:06 PM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog
It stinks of smoke here at work today…. And I don’t mean cigarette smoke.

It was interesting driving to work in the dawns early light this morning… about 120 degrees of my view had flames visible around the crest line in the surrounding hills.
Heard a similar story from an school friend in your neck of the woods: "we can still smell the smoke in the air - especially during the evening and night -and the sky is full of red smoke -pretty distinctive at sunset".

Hope things improve quickly.
Old 24-10-2007, 09:48 PM
The Spiky One

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruskin Old Boy
Heard a similar story from an school friend in your neck of the woods: "we can still smell the smoke in the air - especially during the evening and night -and the sky is full of red smoke -pretty distinctive at sunset".

Doing much better up here thanks, but I fear for palacenil and Del Martin to name but two BBS members. It's getting Katrina'esque down around San Deigo area.
Old 24-10-2007, 10:27 PM
cpfc since october 1966

palacenil has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperpalacenil has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperpalacenil has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperpalacenil has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperpalacenil has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperpalacenil has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperpalacenil has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperpalacenil has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperpalacenil has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperpalacenil has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperpalacenil has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipper
Still here and have not been evacuated although the fires are much closer and more visible from our local roads. Last night I could stand at the end of my street and watch the hillsides burning. Can only describe it as volcano/lava like coming down the ridge crests.
Wind and temp down today and according to the reports I don't expect things to get any worse for me.
The area that I live backs up against the Santiago, Silverado, Trabuco and Modjeska canyons that have all been burning since sunday and have seen some of the worst of it. Many houses have been destroyed in these areas. These fires have moved closer to us and west to Irvine, where I work, which is a much larger OC City. Several guys here at work that live further south and have been evacuated.
Old 24-10-2007, 10:38 PM
Sans Peur

RDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by Ruskin Old Boy

It is very very hot and humid outside right now, from what I gather its because of the smoke. Last night was pretty much as warm as it was during the day. Also, the sky is completely gray with a slight red tint.

Not fun!
Old 25-10-2007, 08:24 AM
Sans Peur

RDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is here
I'm not sure if this is making the news in England, but many LA schools (even those close to where I live, around 30 to 40 miles from the fires) have canceled their recess (morning and lunchtime breaks) because of the poor quality of air around us.
Old 25-10-2007, 08:38 AM

weltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is here
I remeber seeing a docu about the Aussie fires a couple of years ago. Interestingly if the fires get big enough they create their own microclimate and localised weather which if I recall correctly will ultimately trigger a rainfall.

SaulAlinsky
Old 25-10-2007, 12:47 PM
Celestial Empire

Celestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by IW_Eagle
I thought some of these fires were started deliberately?
Yes, apparently so. They have shot one arsonist and captured another.
Wait for it, what's the betting Bush will blaim it on Al Qaeda ?
Old 25-10-2007, 03:25 PM

Del Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Thanks for the concern HH. We left our home on Monday morning (I didn't need the reverse 911 evacuation call that eventually came later that day to realise I needed to pack away those precious old Palace programs and head for the Beaches). Returned last night and in reality the nearest the fire came was about 4 miles north and east of us althogh when Del Mar gets the call, you know its bad.
Things improving, still bad for a lot of people out in East County. Not sure its Katrina like down at Qualcomm Stadium, there were about 15k people there yesterday, they all had beds, actually too much food ( they were requesting people go to Section A2 etc, because some restaurant chain had thousands of meals ready to eat). They even had Starbucks handing out drinks - shame to say it but it wasn't like that in Louisana.
Air quality is bad and my front driveway looks like the entrance to a coal mine.
Old 26-10-2007, 12:14 AM
The Spiky One

Quote:
Originally posted by Del Martian
Thanks for the concern HH. We left our home on Monday morning (I didn't need the reverse 911 evacuation call that eventually came later that day to realise I needed to pack away those precious old Palace programs and head for the Beaches). Returned last night and in reality the nearest the fire came was about 4 miles north and east of us althogh when Del Mar gets the call, you know its bad.
Things improving, still bad for a lot of people out in East County. Not sure its Katrina like down at Qualcomm Stadium, there were about 15k people there yesterday, they all had beds, actually too much food ( they were requesting people go to Section A2 etc, because some restaurant chain had thousands of meals ready to eat). They even had Starbucks handing out drinks - shame to say it but it wasn't like that in Louisana.
Air quality is bad and my front driveway looks like the entrance to a coal mine.
Thanks for the heads-up Del. Great to hear you and yours are OK.

Funny you say about the Palace programs.... I was wondering if I should include them in my list of evacuation items!

Somewhere along the line, I have a horrible feeling that race is going to raise its ugly head over this, i.e. the treatment of a predominately white San Diego verses a predominantly black New Orleans. I hope I'm wrong, because it is a no-win situation as far as I can see, and as you say, not really Katrina like in its rapid onslaught of the disaster they saw.
Old 26-10-2007, 02:48 AM
Sad Moon Risin'

Location: 3951 miles (6358 km) (3433 nautical miles) from Selhurst
jlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Close call Del. Glad you and your family is OK
"It hurts us here," Jose Luis Luviano, a fan in Mexico City, said as he punched his chest. Tears melted the Mexican flags painted on his cheeks. "There has to be an end to this disgrace where (Americans) treat us like rats and idiots."
-WC 2002 US 2 - 0 Mexico

Facebook
Old 26-10-2007, 03:51 AM
Back On The Circuit.

Vince Hilarious : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineVince Hilarious : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineVince Hilarious : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineVince Hilarious : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineVince Hilarious : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineVince Hilarious : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineVince Hilarious : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineVince Hilarious : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineVince Hilarious : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineVince Hilarious : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineVince Hilarious : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by Del Martian
Glad you are ok mate. We had to shut our factory down for two days at Kearny Mesa and Harbour Drive. A couple of guys I know lost there houses out at Ramona. Terrible thing to happen.
Old 26-10-2007, 06:00 AM

Del Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Vince

Good to hear from you. My wife who works in Kearny Mesa had the whole week off as her Company clearly wasn't taking any chances.
Old 26-10-2007, 01:44 PM
Sans Peur

The DC10 Fire Tanker makes a drop...
Old 28-10-2007, 12:43 AM
The Spiky One

Quote:
Originally posted by weltklasse
I remeber seeing a docu about the Aussie fires a couple of years ago. Interestingly if the fires get big enough they create their own microclimate and localised weather which if I recall correctly will ultimately trigger a rainfall.
You might be on to something… The last two days have been very overcast, probably smoke related. Today, completely out of the blue and un-forecast, we have had numerous showers, nothing major, but rain showers nonetheless.