Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Off Topic Ľ The Politics Forum

Notices

The Politics Forum Discussions that are wholly or mainly concerned with UK politics

Old 11-04-2020, 11:02 AM

legaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf Boy View Post
Havenít you just criticised someone for whataboutery?
Have you actually bothered to read my post rather than simply jerking your knee?.I wasn't engaging in 'whataboutery',I was directly responding to Maz's prior post.

Have a lovely day...
Old 11-04-2020, 11:16 AM

meee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is here
I don't really post on this topic much as I have essentially been called racist on another thread for suggesting Labour had suspended members and set up a disciplinary process and there are also many injustices around the world. It's a bit alarming though that some normally very reasonable posters would dismiss views of Israel suppressing the rights of Palestinians with a "look at other countries that do bad things" response. In what way does that justify Israel's treatment of Palestinians?
Old 11-04-2020, 11:28 AM

legaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by meee View Post
I don't really post on this topic much as I have essentially been called racist on another thread for suggesting Labour had suspended members and set up a disciplinary process and there are also many injustices around the world. It's a bit alarming though that some normally very reasonable posters would dismiss views of Israel suppressing the rights of Palestinians with a "look at other countries that do bad things" response. In what way does that justify Israel's treatment of Palestinians?
It doesnt but I don't think anyone
has done that.Go back and re-read.There have been responses to the valid question to ask of why so many appear to get less outraged by some other dodgy situations than the one pertaining 're Israel.That is far from the same as saying the Israeli situation is not highly dodgy
Old 11-04-2020, 11:34 AM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by legaleagle2 View Post
It doesnt but I don't think anyone has done that.
^

I don't like what the state of Israel is doing to Gaza/the West Bank. I don't like the settlement programme. I don't like Netanyahu. I am also uncomfortable with countries being founded on any religious grounds.

I still think that Israel gets a disproportionate amount of stick from both sides of the political spectrum (I made the foolish mistake of looking at the comments on a Spectator article about the demise of the Jewish Chronicle which made me even more misanthropic than normal).
Old 11-04-2020, 11:34 AM

meee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is here
Quote:
It doesnt but I don't think anyone
has done that.Go back and re-read.There have been responses to the valid question to ask of why so many appear to get less outraged by some other dodgy situations than the one pertaining 're Israel.That is far from the same as saying the Israeli situation is not highly dodgy
Presumably because there are people who are anti-semitic. We do unfortunately have racist people in this country.

I think anyone with a knowledge of world politics can see that Israel are far from alone in being discriminatory towards a group of people that live in their country, so to speak, but that doesn't mean it can't be acknowledged as horrific.
Old 11-04-2020, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west country boy View Post
^

I don't like what the state of Israel is doing to Gaza/the West Bank. I don't like the settlement programme. I don't like Netanyahu. I am also uncomfortable with countries being founded on any religious grounds.

I still think that Israel gets a disproportionate amount of stick from both sides of the political spectrum (I made the foolish mistake of looking at the comments on a Spectator article about the demise of the Jewish Chronicle which made me even more misanthropic than normal).
The internet really doesn't help. There are lots of people on these comments sections who would not make those comments in public.
Old 11-04-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meee View Post
Presumably because there are people who are anti-semitic. We do unfortunately have racist people in this country.

I think anyone with a knowledge of world politics can see that Israel are far from alone in being discriminatory towards a group of people that live in their country, so to speak, but that doesn't mean it can't be acknowledged as horrific.
Agreed.But along with all the other appalling regimes ...rather than elevated to a near unique level of world evil....which has uncomfortable echoes of anti Semitic tropes in Europe for the past millennium....
Old 11-04-2020, 01:00 PM

cockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is here

Last edited by cockneyrebel; 11-04-2020 at 01:08 PM.
Old 11-04-2020, 01:01 PM

cockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is here
Quote:
Some might think the 'whataboutery' is in fact you not actually answering the poster's question...

Changing the subject back to the (IMHO ) truly execrable Naz Shah (awful decision by KS),here's what she experienced at a hustings in 20217:

[/I]....Labourís Naz Shah was taunted with anti-Semitic abuse after defending the existence of Israel, during a hustings in Bradford.

An audience member during the event appears to shout ďJew Jew JewĒ at the Labour candidate for the Bradford West, after she reiterated her belief in Israelís right to exist.' [/I]

Ho hum...
lol I thought as I was posting I wonder how long it will be before legal eagle turns up with his whataboutery and as if by magic

I did answer the question. But I donít think Israel locking up two million people behind prison walls in one of the worst acts of oppression in the world should mean we have to list all other oppressors. Especially as Iím someone who does raise things like Syria and China etc
Old 11-04-2020, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Not a lot different to the even larger amounts invested by the US into China over the past decade.....or the arms sold to our NATO ally Turkey,about which barely a murmur or disgust is expressed in the UK ...
Maybe every time people raised apartheid South Africa (and Israel is in the same bracket in my view in terms of oppression), people should have said why are you talking about apartheid in South Africa so much. What about Stalinist dictatorships, what about Pinochet, what about Indonesia...
Old 11-04-2020, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
There is probably a very big difference between foreign investment and foreign aid.
Indeed. The military aid that Israel has had is huge, especially from the US. Along with that other lovely regime, Saudi Arabia.
Old 11-04-2020, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Agreed.But along with all the other appalling regimes ...rather than elevated to a near unique level of world evil....which has uncomfortable echoes of anti Semitic tropes in Europe for the past millennium....
Itís one of the biggest evils though. Locking up two million people behind walls and bombing and shooting them on a regular basis takes some beating.
Old 11-04-2020, 01:25 PM
I'm not divorced

Golf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
So you think Israel is an appalling regime?
Old 11-04-2020, 02:15 PM
Its gonna be a lovely day

Heb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is here
Quote:
I bet that comes as sweet relief to the one million Uighurs who are currently locked up. I really don't get the left's obsession with Israel above and beyond all the other horribly repressive regimes in this shitshow of a world.
Well quite. The one Jewish country in the world is the one that they obsess about.

It’s not even pro-Palestinian. When Yarmouk was bombed into the ground the silence from the parts of the left that obsess about Israel was deafening. But then Assad shook hands with Jeremy, so he’s allowed to slaughter Palestinians. They don’t count if it’s your favourite dictator doing it.
Old 11-04-2020, 02:15 PM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf Boy View Post
So you think Israel is an appalling regime?
It's not as bad as golf.
Old 11-04-2020, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heb 7:4 View Post
Well quite. The one Jewish country in the world is the one that they obsess about.

Itís not even pro-Palestinian. When Yarmouk was bombed into the ground the silence from the parts of the left that obsess about Israel was deafening. But then Assad shook hands with Jeremy, so heís allowed to slaughter Palestinians. They donít count if itís your favourite dictator doing it.
What did you do? Line your pockets in the Middle East?

Some people on here actually did practical Solidarity work around Yarmouk. You just sound off on a message board.
Old 11-04-2020, 02:43 PM
I'm not divorced

Golf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heb 7:4 View Post

Itís not even pro-Palestinian. When Yarmouk was bombed into the ground the silence from the parts of the left that obsess about Israel was deafening. But then Assad shook hands with Jeremy, so heís allowed to slaughter Palestinians. They donít count if itís your favourite dictator doing it.
You should check out the threads on Israel on here from 10 years ago. The BBS must have lurched severely to the right if itís only the Ďleftí and Corbyn.
Old 11-04-2020, 02:45 PM
I'm not divorced

Quote:
It's not as bad as golf.
Steady on.
Old 11-04-2020, 03:27 PM

Nth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is here
I’m pleased that he has brought back Ed Miliband as shadow environment secretary. Miliband was never the right man to be leader but he will be good in this role in a job he genuinely cares about.
Old 11-04-2020, 03:34 PM
jft39

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockneyrebel View Post
Some people on here actually did practical Solidarity work around Yarmouk.
You might have been better off in Gdansk.