Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Other Sport » World of Sport

Notices

World of Sport Discuss all other sport. Includes betting and gambling threads.

Old 21-10-2021, 07:01 PM

tomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Certainly is, and then the home of English cross country at Parliament Hill Fields the week after for the London Cross country champs
Old 21-10-2021, 10:21 PM

clockhouse : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineclockhouse : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineclockhouse : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineclockhouse : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineclockhouse : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineclockhouse : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineclockhouse : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineclockhouse : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineclockhouse : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineclockhouse : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineclockhouse : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by greybot View Post
Letchworth park run was interesting this morning. A massive tractor with the huge seed drill came after us at the start , then it overtook us on the hill and held a load of us up while he crossed onto the course again to go into another field. The only thing that could have made it even more surreal was Superman turning up to move it out of the way
Great picture of you following the tractor at the top of the hill on Letchworth Parkrun’s FB page. You really wouldn’t want to get too close to that monster!!!
Old 23-10-2021, 01:32 PM

greybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is here
No tractors today. But I PBed. Had a good sprint finish with a young lady last 100m who pipped me to the post. I'll volunteer next week cos sounds like they need them.

Someone went under 18 minutes which just blows my mind as the hill twice isn't exactly easy

https://www.gofundme.com/supporting-katerina
Old 23-10-2021, 07:50 PM

tomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I see that Egale art has done the beach head marathon, that’s a tough race
Old 24-10-2021, 05:09 PM

immoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Beachy head is my favourite marathon and one that I'd like to do again.

They ended up changing the route this year due to flooding on the normal route. 2x the new half marathon route.
Old 24-10-2021, 07:57 PM

ob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
No tractors today. But I PBed. Had a good sprint finish with a young lady last 100m who pipped me to the post. I'll volunteer next week cos sounds like they need them.

Someone went under 18 minutes which just blows my mind as the hill twice isn't exactly easy
I had my monthly massage on friday night so thought i better give park run a miss.last few weeks at ours the 1st place has been about 18 and a half,but yesterday someone did a second under 17!
Well done on the pb and volunteering. i did it a few weeks ago(in the pissing rain!) and booked up again with the intention of doing 1 stint every 6 weeks which seems a reasonable balance to me.Guessing as winter comes it must get harder to find volunteers to stand about being cheerful and friendly in the cold and wet?

Nice 12 miler this morning with nearly 1200ft of elevation,its so nice being stronger and capable of going further as so many different routes are opening up to me
Old 25-10-2021, 09:56 AM

immoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Yep, getting volunteers does tend to be harder in winter but I'm sure most are like us and have a core group of regular volunteers.

The vast majority of parkrunners never volunteer at all and of those that have volunteered, most haven't done more than 1 or 2 volunteer stints.
Old 25-10-2021, 10:48 AM

eagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomario View Post
I see that Egale art has done the beach head marathon, that’s a tough race
Yeah, it was tough as it was a 2 lap-er. But I quite like trail marathons with 800-1000m or so of climb.

Im not marathon ready at all, haha. But I got carried away with the pace I thought I was comfortable with. With the half marathon route (maybe the full route too) some of it is very runnable at pace. And I found myself in with the top 50 odd. I knew I was going to bomb, and quarter through the race I decided I would probably last until the end of the down hill on lap 2. As I started the 2nd lap, legs started to go.. It was long two hours plus after that. Legs were shot. Bit amateur but it was more of a run to see where I am at.

Meant to be doing the Frontier South Downs in two weeks. (I did the North downs last month) But am not sure if I want to put myself through that and miss another home game. Or just maybe I had a bad day.

Would recommend though, council run, so the day is designed for the race - no shortcuts sorting out the event. BTW, some fantastic runners there. 2:44 winner for the mens, and 3:05 for the ladies!
Old 27-10-2021, 09:57 PM
Jolene Jolene Jolene...

Woosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is here
Am buying a pair of Nike Pegasus 38s to help convince me to get back into the swing of things. Had three weeks off after being a bit concerned about my knee after the half marathon.

They're road shoes (and mostly black and then purple on top but white at the rear - To view the link you have to Register or Login), but I'd like to do Reigate parkrun in them which as many of you seem to know is very much more of a trail one. I don't run trails, I do run down National Cycle Route 21 if anyone knows it, down to Horley from Redhill, which is mostly off road but isn't loose gravel or anything like that. Not really sure what the surface is but it's firm.

So my question is do I spend £60 on a pair of trail shoes that I'll only wear for Parkrun, or will I get away with using my road shoes?

If we can winter this one out, we can summer anywhere
Old 27-10-2021, 10:00 PM

Tomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is here
If you’re planning on doing it regularly and want to do good times it’s probably a good idea to get some trail shoes.

Will also open up different routes for running. You’ve got a lot of great places off road to run near you.
Old 28-10-2021, 09:17 AM

I just wouldn't bother doing Reigate in road shoes from November to February/March.

If you're just running parkrun as a trail run then I'd get some of the cheap ones from Decathlon which are actually fairly good. A few years ago a friend managed to get some Adidas Terrex shoes for around £40 and they were really good.
Old 30-10-2021, 02:09 PM

ob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Couldn't get back under the 21min barrier on todays Parkrun(maybe need some trail shoes) but a best position of 5th so not too bad. Was running 4th most of the way but absolutely blowing by about 2 miles and those in front make it look so easy!
Old 30-10-2021, 02:31 PM

greybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is here
Nice one.

I volunteered. It was good fun cheering all the regular faces on. Just got a 12k in just now and 11k left for the month which I'll have to get done tomorrow. Then I'm really looking forward to some rest days.

Old 30-10-2021, 02:47 PM

cantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is here
Suffering from an injury at the moment but went to Charlton parkrun and walked it. No big top to report but it does rank as one of the dullest courses I’ve done and I’ve done 73 different venues.3 laps some football pitches
Old 30-10-2021, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Nice one.

I volunteered. It was good fun cheering all the regular faces on. Just got a 12k in just now and 11k left for the month which I'll have to get done tomorrow. Then I'm really looking forward to some rest days.
How many miles was this months target for you? I dont really set a target for month but according to strava 100km challenge (that i sign up to every month) i am on 144km or 90 miles which is my most yet.I normally do a longer run on sunday(although wife wants taking out tomorrow) so it might be 100 miles this time
Old 31-10-2021, 04:05 PM

I remember when I used to do 40km a month as did park run and one mid week run.

Then I got to 60km doing mostly 5km runs as fast as I could.

Then I learnt about longer & slower runs (thanks to this thread) and achieved 100km a month.

Now my preferred running distance is 10km and my target is 40km a week.

Happy enough with 40km a week and don’t really want to do more than that as I like to do other things (golf&basketball) and that requires some energy left over.

Not been injured for ages and put that down to getting out regularly and running my comfortable pace but am feeling my hip flexor for the first time. Going to have 4 days off now and ice it.

And a large dominos pizza tonight for making my monthly target. All about some junk food end of the month

I did have an extra large doner kebab last night too to celebrate Palaces big win

Last edited by greybot; 31-10-2021 at 04:31 PM.
Old 01-11-2021, 07:53 AM

I had a slghtly sore achilles following saturdays Parkrun but went out and ran 10 miles early yesterday in the pouring rain and crazy wind.Bit stiff for most of first mile then it was fine whilst running.
I have been really trying the last few weeks to slow these long runs down and i managed this nicely to high 9 minute miles this time.Felt really good and i really enjoyed the crazy weather with many of the roads running like rivers with the odd huge puddle to wade through,think most would have hated it but for me it was great fun.

However after this the achilles has really flared up so i am going to take a bit of a rest and hopefully that will do the trick.(if not some acupuncture!) looks like the last time i had to take a short break was back in May and i have been upping the mileage and generally getting faster and stronger so not too bad really considering my shit starting point at new year!
Old 01-11-2021, 08:01 AM

daverambo2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdaverambo2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdaverambo2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdaverambo2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdaverambo2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdaverambo2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdaverambo2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdaverambo2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdaverambo2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdaverambo2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdaverambo2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
So having had an ankle injury on and off for a while been easing myself back in to running. Been slowly building up my mileage doing about 40-50k a week, slow runs with a long run on a Sunday. Problem I am having is that despite warm up (dynamic) stretches etc... I'm finding either my Achilles, calf's or shins start hurting after about 1k, with some pins and needles, I have to stop, let it all calm down, then I can do 2 more k, then have to stop again. But once I do this for about 40mins, it all losses up and I'm fine, can then run for 2hrs.

My question is, what can I do to loosen up, strengthen this area so I can just run without stopping?
Old 01-11-2021, 08:37 AM

Tomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is here
I’m not a huge expert but it’s going to be a longer game and making sure you’re doing strengthening and stretches away from running.

If you can afford it, I’d suggest trying to see a physio. If nothing else to find what’s causing the issue.
Old 01-11-2021, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Not been injured for ages and put that down to getting out regularly and running my comfortable pace but am feeling my hip flexor for the first time. Going to have 4 days off now and ice it.
Icing is pointless especially for recovery. Only reason to ice is if something is painful and you want to dull the pain. It's been shown to slow recovery and the original authors of the research on icing have said that the original research has been stretched beyond what they originally found.

Also no supporting evidence for ice baths/cold showers so no need to put yourself through that torture, unless you enjoy it.