Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum

Notices

Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum All things computer, internet, mobile, tablet and video game related.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:41 PM
Mind your sandwiches

chatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is here
What is tethering?
Old 09-10-2011, 09:19 PM

Ridcully has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatham_eagle
What is tethering?
Using your mobile phones Internet connection on another device. Used to have to have a lead connected hence the name but can do it wirelessly via Bluetooth or in some cases Wifi.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:34 PM
Legal Imbecile and BBS Prophet of Doom (Semi-Retired)

James Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamone
Im with GiffGaff and I tether. Not using an iphone though
You are not allowed to tether with GiffGaff:

Quote:
Is unlimited really unlimited?
The answer is yes, we are unlimited for personal mobile use - but not for commercial and automated use. Mobile Internet allowances exclude PC use and tethering.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:54 PM

palacelad1970 worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bitterpalacelad1970 worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bitterpalacelad1970 worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bitterpalacelad1970 worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bitterpalacelad1970 worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bitterpalacelad1970 worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bitterpalacelad1970 worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bitterpalacelad1970 worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bitterpalacelad1970 worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bitterpalacelad1970 worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bitterpalacelad1970 worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bitter
Quote:
Originally Posted by James
That does look good value! Is tethering allowed?

The only thing I can see against that deal is the very low call time and fact that they use the O2 Network - and I can't get O2 3g here.

By the way - I assume that if anyone signs up using that link, you will get some sort of credit?
I have tethered and never got any comeback

yes i get 5 you get 5 if you sign up

best deal out there
Old 10-10-2011, 09:39 AM

James Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by palacelad1970
I have tethered and never got any comeback

yes i get 5 you get 5 if you sign up

best deal out there
It does look good - but it's not for me. I want nothing more to do with the O2 Network, and I want officially allowed tethering. The GiffGaff plan expressly prohibits tethering (even if you may have got away with it before). Also just over 4 hours talk time a month is hopeless, unless you intend to use your phone almost exclusively for incoming calls and Internet.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:23 AM
Bass Man

bunter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbunter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbunter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbunter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbunter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbunter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbunter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbunter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbunter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbunter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbunter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Hmmmm, my contract with o2 runs out in december. Im with a iphone 3gs with unlimted data. I really want to keep the unlimited and Ive been looking at three as their the only ones that do it. I must admitt, you guys on here are the first ive come across either online or in person to recommend the three network. All my friends have told me its rubbish and ive seen some pisspoor reviews online.

Im thinking of getting a HTC sensation as my next phone. Im a bit over my Iphone.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunter
Hmmmm, my contract with o2 runs out in december. Im with a iphone 3gs with unlimted data. I really want to keep the unlimited and Ive been looking at three as their the only ones that do it. I must admitt, you guys on here are the first ive come across either online or in person to recommend the three network. All my friends have told me its rubbish and ive seen some pisspoor reviews online.

Im thinking of getting a HTC sensation as my next phone. Im a bit over my Iphone.
3 used to have a poor reputation for coverage and reliability (deservedly so) and I suspect that many of the old reviews reflect that.

However, if you look for the more up to date reviews, you will hardly find a word spoken against the Network.

My suggestion would be to obtain a 15 unlimited internet, one month, sim card from 3 and give it a go. My bet is that you will not be disappointed.
Old 20-10-2011, 07:18 PM

OK - in the interests of balance, I need to qualify my endorsement of the Three Network.

I have been disappointed about the network speed on the Three One Plan, compared to my iPad which is also on the Three Network, but on the 15GB per month data plan.

Three say that on the One Plan, there is no limit to what you can download and they do not throttle. In which case, how do they explain the fact that speed tests carried out at exactly the same time show far lower speeds on the One Plan. Here's a video of a test I carried out this evening, which is typical (iPhone on the One Plan on the left, iPad on the 15GB data plan on the right):

It's nothing to do with the iPhone - first thing in the morning, both devices show similar speeds of around 2.6Mbps.
Old 20-10-2011, 07:59 PM
Erect Member

NO1FAN : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNO1FAN : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNO1FAN : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNO1FAN : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNO1FAN : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNO1FAN : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNO1FAN : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNO1FAN : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNO1FAN : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNO1FAN : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNO1FAN : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
That's disappointing on the basis of your immense praise for 3 I was going to change from O2 and get the 4s from 3. Guess I won't bother now.
Old 20-10-2011, 08:03 PM

Chris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is here
Just the sort of info I was looking for. Think i'll be making the switch next month. For those wanting to swicth use this link for 115 cashback

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 20-10-2011, 08:24 PM
Jolene Jolene Jolene...

Woosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is here
That 10 a month Giffgaff sounds ideal for me, I never really call people but text an awful lot, top my phone up by 10 a month anyway.

Anyone else use it, and what are they like? Reliable, can you trust them not to fraudulently use your data haha?

www.itsoktotalk.wordpress.com

'it would be boring if they won every time right?'

To be, or not to be, that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them? To die, to sleep,
No more; and by a sleep to say we end
Old 21-10-2011, 09:56 AM

The speed issue only arises during the day. Last night, as an experiment, I tethered my iPhone (One Plan) to my PC and disconnected the Ethernet cable - so I was only using Three. Overnight, I downloaded a 6GB file at an average speed of nearly 3Mbps, which is quite impressive.

The latest speed test today (just completed at 10:55 am) gave a speed of 1.92Mbps download on the One Plan - so things may be improving a bit.

Of one thing I am sure - on the One Plan there is no download limit and no 'fair use' policy. You may download as much and as often as you wish.
Old 21-10-2011, 09:59 AM
Regretting my username...

stinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is here
I'm seriously considering moving from Voda to 3, however my contract isn't up until February (I think). Will I get charged stupid amounts for leaving before the end of my contract?

Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
Old 21-10-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinky
I'm seriously considering moving from Voda to 3, however my contract isn't up until February (I think). Will I get charged stupid amounts for leaving before the end of my contract?
It depends what you classify as 'stupid'.

Normally you would be required to pay to the end of your contract, with a small discount.

My contract with O2 also ends at the beginning of 2012, but I decided to keep it going in parallel. Three unlocked my new iPhone 4s without charge, so I have switched sims, with my old O2 card - and with it my old number - in the new iPhone. the Three sim I am using in my old iPhone, mainly for tethering to my laptop. When my O2 contract expires, I'll get a PAC Code and transfer the number.

I don't know whether it is the new iPhone 4 that is particularly sensitive, or the fact that O2 have upgraded the local mast, but all of a sudden I am getting a 3g signal on O2 here in Ewhurst, with 3/4 bars, and I have never seen that before.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:13 AM
Bombay Bad Boy

Dave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is here
How are people finding three's 4g network?

Today is my first day using it on my ipad mini

Jury us out
Old 06-03-2014, 09:51 AM

cpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is here
Haven't got it in Crawley yet
Old 06-03-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
How are people finding three's 4g network?

Today is my first day using it on my ipad mini

Jury us out
I got a 4g connection at Selhurst Park for the ManU game and despite their being a capacity crowd, I had a full and uninterrupted connection for the entire afternoon. I suspect that the Three 4g waveband is far less congested than the 3g one.

Speeds were OK - here's the test result done just before kickoff:

Old 06-03-2014, 11:25 AM

Cake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Have you thought about Ovivo?

300 Mins, 300 Texts, 500mb Data. They operate on Vodafones network.

Best bit is - they're completely free.

They do this by interspersing ads in your Mobile Web Browsing.

For a big saving, I think its well worth it.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake and Eat It View Post
Have you thought about Ovivo?

300 Mins, 300 Texts, 500mb Data. They operate on Vodafones network.

Best bit is - they're completely free.

They do this by interspersing ads in your Mobile Web Browsing.

For a big saving, I think its well worth it.
Yes. I got an Ovivo sim for my mother in law, who doesn't need fast internet and really only uses her phone for texts and occasional calls. You get adverts on web pages (you have to wait for the page you want to load after viewing the advertisement), but it's a small price to pay for free calls and texts.

It wouldn't be of any interest to me, but definitely worth considering for kids and other light users.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:11 AM

HRP Sam the man is hereHRP Sam the man is hereHRP Sam the man is hereHRP Sam the man is hereHRP Sam the man is hereHRP Sam the man is hereHRP Sam the man is hereHRP Sam the man is hereHRP Sam the man is hereHRP Sam the man is hereHRP Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
I got a 4g connection at Selhurst Park for the ManU game and despite their being a capacity crowd, I had a full and uninterrupted connection for the entire afternoon. I suspect that the Three 4g waveband is far less congested than the 3g one.

Speeds were OK - here's the test result done just before kickoff:
Do you not use the clubs free wifi service that is being tested ? You can pick it up from where you sit