Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Other Sport Ľ World of Football

Notices

World of Football All non Palace football talk - includes latest scores on Internationals and matches that affect palace.

View Poll Results: Who do you consider England's rivals?
Scotland 46 31.08%
Germany 65 43.92%
Argentina 26 17.57%
Turkey 4 2.70%
France 7 4.73%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-06-2006, 04:15 PM
Yakshemash!

rednblue4ever is living as legends have livedrednblue4ever is living as legends have livedrednblue4ever is living as legends have livedrednblue4ever is living as legends have livedrednblue4ever is living as legends have livedrednblue4ever is living as legends have livedrednblue4ever is living as legends have livedrednblue4ever is living as legends have livedrednblue4ever is living as legends have livedrednblue4ever is living as legends have livedrednblue4ever is living as legends have lived
I just can't take Australia seriously enough as a footballing nation to warrant me hating them. Cricket and Rugby on the other hand is a different kettle of fish.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:19 PM

GDP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGDP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGDP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGDP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGDP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGDP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGDP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGDP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGDP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGDP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGDP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by ozzieEagle
I reckon your right, the others, just havn't realised the future yet

Actually rivalry with the UK, helps drive this country.

I'm saying this pissed at 2.00 am in the morning, my fellow aussie's will probably be annoyed with me. But our eyes are set on the UK, and Particuarly England, and everytime we beat you. The country goes up just a little bit.

Rugby has been done, hockey happened years ago, boxing has been and gone, Motor racing. Cricket of course and now the Last bastion....

We are your new Scotland, but with a Vengance
I was working with an Aussie just after they had beaten us at Upton Park a few years ago and the abuse i took was untrue. No matter what i said i got battered. Football, Rugby, Cricket! I had nowhere to turn!! But damn i would love to bump into him again and resume the fun and games after dominating the boys from down under recently.

Top bloke he was aswell. But 100% irritating!! Ur right about one thing, we absolutly love beating the aussies at any sport!! Bring on the ashes!
Old 11-06-2006, 04:20 PM
Since '67

ozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
[QUOTE]Originally posted by rednblue4ever
I just can't take Australia seriously enough as a footballing nation to warrant me hating them. Cricket and Rugby on the other hand is a different kettle of fish. [/QUOTE

Yes we are going to have to beat you at least 4 times before you get the message
Old 11-06-2006, 04:25 PM
Since '67

ozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Personally I think the UK, could be well advised to invite, Aussie to the home internationals, if they still exist.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:42 PM
LL12 Eagle

mouseboy was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsmouseboy was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsmouseboy was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsmouseboy was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsmouseboy was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsmouseboy was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsmouseboy was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsmouseboy was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsmouseboy was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsmouseboy was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsmouseboy was in another world, a world of 20,000 girls
The welsh, they are so unbarable, they hate England!!!!
Old 11-06-2006, 05:18 PM
Hair by Les Porter

Strathclyde Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStrathclyde Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStrathclyde Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStrathclyde Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStrathclyde Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStrathclyde Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStrathclyde Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStrathclyde Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStrathclyde Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStrathclyde Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStrathclyde Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by PalaceFan in Alabama
If Scotland had a team worthy of being called our rivals, it would have to be them
So Brighton weren't a rival when they were struggling to stay in the Football League?
Old 11-06-2006, 05:48 PM
Whitehorse Wall Boys

ed winchester is a gunboat in a sea of feared winchester is a gunboat in a sea of feared winchester is a gunboat in a sea of feared winchester is a gunboat in a sea of feared winchester is a gunboat in a sea of feared winchester is a gunboat in a sea of feared winchester is a gunboat in a sea of feared winchester is a gunboat in a sea of feared winchester is a gunboat in a sea of feared winchester is a gunboat in a sea of feared winchester is a gunboat in a sea of fear
Quote:
Originally posted by PalaceFan in Alabama
So we should base who are rivals are on "real fist to head combat"
You can see that anytime in Glasgow when the local rivals go head to head or in your case "fist to head".

Just to clarify: The fists were English going into Scots' heads!

As far as using violence as a basis for real rivalry, perhaps you think Germany (World Wars One and Two) and Argentina (Falkland Islands) are less violent? .

Anybody who has an idea of how football has developed in Britain since 1872 would realise that Scots have played an integral part in the progress of the English game right up to the present day, in both managerial and playing responsibilities. "Familiarity breeds contempt"!!!

If you're looking at things from a purely footballing point of view - Why not throw in Brazil, Sweden, Poland or even Northern Ireland - all of whom have inflicted fairly historic defeats on England stretching back over many years, hmmmm?

Last edited by ed winchester; 11-06-2006 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:58 PM

Jay_Palace is ice and dust, is sky; can see horses wading through snowdriftsJay_Palace is ice and dust, is sky; can see horses wading through snowdriftsJay_Palace is ice and dust, is sky; can see horses wading through snowdriftsJay_Palace is ice and dust, is sky; can see horses wading through snowdriftsJay_Palace is ice and dust, is sky; can see horses wading through snowdriftsJay_Palace is ice and dust, is sky; can see horses wading through snowdriftsJay_Palace is ice and dust, is sky; can see horses wading through snowdriftsJay_Palace is ice and dust, is sky; can see horses wading through snowdriftsJay_Palace is ice and dust, is sky; can see horses wading through snowdriftsJay_Palace is ice and dust, is sky; can see horses wading through snowdriftsJay_Palace is ice and dust, is sky; can see horses wading through snowdrifts
Quote:
Originally posted by mouseboy
The welsh, they are so unbarable, they hate England!!!!
The Welsh are an irelevence in these matters. Having been living there at university for the past couple of years I've learnt to laugh and pity their jingoistic tendencies. Cardiff was full of England flags the other day, I bet they loved that

For me it would have to be the Scots. The England Germany rivalry is similar to the Palace clowns one in it's one way direction.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:19 PM
Virtually Insane

mrdance88 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemrdance88 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemrdance88 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemrdance88 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemrdance88 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemrdance88 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemrdance88 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemrdance88 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemrdance88 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemrdance88 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemrdance88 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Scots
Old 11-06-2006, 06:29 PM

dave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is here
Historically Scotland but in the modern era I think Germany still edges Argentina.

1966 World Cup - we won 4-2 after extra time in the final
1970 World Cup - they won 3-2 after extra time in the quarter finals
1974 World Cup - we had our feet up at home
1978 World Cup - we had our feet up at home
1982 World Cup - they topped Group B in the second round and qualified for the semi finals (we finished in 2nd place)
1986 World Cup - we didn't meet as those cheating Argies put us out
1990 World Cup - they beat us 4-3 on penalties in the semi finals after drawing 1-1
1994 World Cup - we decided to stay at home again
1998 World Cup - Argies beat us again
2002 World Cup - missed them again but they got to the final as usual

Turning to the Euro Championships it is much the same story.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred. (C.P. Scott)
Old 11-06-2006, 06:46 PM
BBS addict

LP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by joyce the voice
Australia
Cricket and both codes of rugby sure, but we have no football rivalry with them, we've never even played them in proper match.

Spike Milligan
Old 11-06-2006, 11:35 PM

limited_edition : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelimited_edition : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelimited_edition : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelimited_edition : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelimited_edition : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelimited_edition : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelimited_edition : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelimited_edition : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelimited_edition : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelimited_edition : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelimited_edition : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay_Palace
The Welsh are an irelevence in these matters. Having been living there at university for the past couple of years I've learnt to laugh and pity their jingoistic tendencies. Cardiff was full of England flags the other day, I bet they loved that
I remember walking through the town centre to the Millennium Stadium for the Play Off finals 2 years ago. Aside from stalls selling Palace and Wet Sham souvenir T-shirts, I saw one T of a bloke in a Welsh shirt pissing on a St George's Cross. Incredible that was on sale when you consider 2 English teams were playing in the final.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:11 PM

Young Trolley : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineYoung Trolley : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineYoung Trolley : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineYoung Trolley : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineYoung Trolley : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineYoung Trolley : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineYoung Trolley : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineYoung Trolley : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineYoung Trolley : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineYoung Trolley : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineYoung Trolley : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Other than Scotland is there a mutual footballing rivalry with any of the others?
What a great signing for Palace, one of their best ever (if not the best). World-class player. Just shows once again how timing is everything and how financial fate can hinge on a key moment or two...one shit home play-off performance, Zaha wakes up after five months sleep-walking, Speroni finger-tip save onto the bar. That night changed the respective fortunes of the two clubs for a good few years, but we all suspected that even at the time.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:23 PM
Anarchosyndicalist

Location: Nearer to inner peace than I was. Corporeally, Chippenham.
calne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Just added my vote to the Krauts.

Palace ST holder for 40 years. Palace bonded me with my Dad. I met my partner and several great friends through the club. Palace have mad, passionate, funny supporters, and ex-players who care enough about the club to stay in touch. It's a roller-coaster ride, but thatís the way we like it. And itís not plastic. Palace til I die.
Old 13-06-2006, 09:11 AM
War Chief

Cleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Re: Re: Who are Englands true rivals?

Quote:
Originally posted by DANCOO
Interesting, I was thinking the very same thing this week.
I suppose the rivalry has to be mutual (as it is with Palace/Brighton).

Argentina's true rivals are Brazil.
Germany's true rivals are Holland.
Turkey don't come into it.
France, I don't really see as big rivals, I'm not sure who they consider their biggest rivals?
Scotland, as insignificant a footballing nation they may be, I guess I would class them as our true rivals.
Exactly, Scotland are our rivals and will be forever. Until recently France haven't taken football seriously enough to be our rivals. How on earth can Germany & Argentina be seen as our "rivals"??? And Turkey - WTF???

Put it this way, which team would your care most about losing a friendly against?

"You're just part of everything that's happened to us tonight... and it's all bad"
Old 13-06-2006, 11:27 AM
Associate member of AWM

Buglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by DARREN TESTER
For me its the written media !!!!

How many top quality managers ( Graham Taylor aside ) have they ruined / attempted to ruin.
They've certainly done more damage to England's cause over the years than any of the teams listed. It's why (IMO) Venables (spit!) was one of the best England Managers we've had as he didn't give a sh1t what the press wrote about him and just got on with the job.
Old 13-06-2006, 11:30 AM
Associate member of AWM

Buglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Oh and nearly forgot:

Scotland.

Being old enough to have attended the last home international against the auld foe, I'd have to vote for the old Jocks every time. England v Scotland matches used to be something else!
Old 13-06-2006, 11:37 AM
it's a city you know...

st albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is here
can't stand the french, so france for me

as we were driving through europe to get to frankfurt, france stank of shit and the other countries were lovely
Old 13-06-2006, 11:43 AM
Account disabled

racehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
germany argentina turkey yes but hey Scotland ?
Old 13-06-2006, 11:45 AM

DrRock gave me sunshine, made me happyDrRock gave me sunshine, made me happyDrRock gave me sunshine, made me happyDrRock gave me sunshine, made me happyDrRock gave me sunshine, made me happyDrRock gave me sunshine, made me happyDrRock gave me sunshine, made me happyDrRock gave me sunshine, made me happyDrRock gave me sunshine, made me happyDrRock gave me sunshine, made me happyDrRock gave me sunshine, made me happy
You can't pick and choose international rivalries. Despite the various wars and epic games with Argentina and Germany, its still gotta be Scotland - oldest football rivalry in the world bar none.
Anyway, I believe the German's big rivals are Austria, whom they heartily detest.