Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Other Sport World of Football

Notices

World of Football All non Palace football talk - includes latest scores on Internationals and matches that affect palace.

Old 06-07-2006, 02:12 PM

yourname00 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineyourname00 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineyourname00 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineyourname00 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineyourname00 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineyourname00 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineyourname00 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineyourname00 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineyourname00 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineyourname00 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineyourname00 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Could Beckham have played the holding role?

For me I don't think the modern day holding player needs to be the best ball winning tackler in the team. His most important asset needs to be his ability to not lose the ball.

I think this is why players like Viera and Makelele are so good, it's really hard to tackle them. I think Beckham also has this and he's very good at turning out of tackles from the wing.

Another thing a holding player needs is to be a clean tackler, OK I don't think Beckham is the best at this but perhaps he could adapt his game.

I know it was tried against Northern Ireland, and although that game was a disaster I thought parts of how Beckham played worked very well, he was able to make some decent cross field passes to either wing.

Just sort of surprises me that it's not really been considered or tried again in a friendly perhaps. It seems obvious that Beckham doesn't really have what it takes to play on the wing anymore. I think it would be worth giving him a try as the deepest central midfielder, as long as he didn't try the hollywood style pass everytime it could work.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:32 PM
handwringing islamofacist

Clapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Weren't they calling it the 'quarterback' role? I think it's worth a bit more of a try than it's had.

The major 'pro' is getting Beckham off the wing where his lack of pace is just too plain (and combined with Joe Cole's lack of pace on the other side makes our midfield very easy to deal with for opposition). But for me he's still worth making an effort to keep in the team. If it really doesn't work then it's time for him to go.

The major problem I see is if we have Terry in central defence just behind him - he is also too slow and has to be surrounded by pace (eg like they do at Chelsea). Throw in the absence of a top quality keeper and this would be a pretty mighty flaw in the heart of our defence. Personally I'd drop Terry for Campbell or King like a shot.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:36 PM
Got my eagle eye on you.

smileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is here
I'd stick with Hargreaves myself.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:39 PM
Bollox to Bloody Bolton

Sussex Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSussex Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSussex Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSussex Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSussex Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSussex Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSussex Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSussex Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSussex Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSussex Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSussex Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Jesus.

Name one aspect of midfield play that Beckham is better at than, say, Hargreaves other than long balls or free kicks that would make this at all sensible? He's no good in his natural position any more, yet thanks to his celeb megastar reputation some are STILL convinced he's worth a 92nd go?!!!? Move on. Surely everyone has now realised that all the 'Golden Generation' were was a Sky and adman-generated hype machine. He is nothing but a name. The England team will be vastly better off without him.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:39 PM

East-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
No, definitly not! A holding player needs to do just that, hold and give. That is why Makale is one of the best, he wins the ball and gives a simple pass to a more accomplised passer of the ball.

Beckham will win the ball and try to play his trademark "killer long ball" over 30-40 yards. Exactly what Gerrard does when he plays there, and to a lesser extent what Carrick does. Which is why Hargreaves is the best man for the job, and I think he showed this adequately in the world cup.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:40 PM
Get the f* off my Cloud!!

Scifo Sam the man is hereScifo Sam the man is hereScifo Sam the man is hereScifo Sam the man is hereScifo Sam the man is hereScifo Sam the man is hereScifo Sam the man is hereScifo Sam the man is hereScifo Sam the man is hereScifo Sam the man is hereScifo Sam the man is here
The only place Beckham could really have been played to accomodate him would have been in Franks midfield role but even the Likes of Joey Barton would have been more likely to provide a real impact here.

His free kicks are still a great asset but he just isnt worth keeping around for this alone
Old 06-07-2006, 04:52 PM
Oh No!

AJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is here
Beckham best position these days is behind the goal signing autographs sorry, but, his best days are way behind him. Since leaving MU and moving to Real he has adopted the "pussy" type of football, where one doesn't run too much, just passes the ball nicely.
His time has passed and he should retire from International football, while he is still remembered as a something special.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:58 PM
substitute

beef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is here
We have better players than Beckham who play the holding role at club level each week, hopefully McClaren won't keep dreaming up different systems to accomodate Becks.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:17 PM

yourname00 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineyourname00 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineyourname00 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineyourname00 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineyourname00 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineyourname00 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineyourname00 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineyourname00 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineyourname00 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineyourname00 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineyourname00 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by Sussex Eagle
Jesus.

Name one aspect of midfield play that Beckham is better at than, say, Hargreaves other than long balls or free kicks that would make this at all sensible?
Hargreaves isn't very capable of keeping hold of the ball in tight situations or taking the ball off the defenders, I actually rate Hargreaves but I don't think his best positions is as the holding midfielder, I think he's better central midfield where he can use his energy to get up and down the pitch.

I think the English mentality still says holding players should be in the crazy David Batty style. Where as other International teams make sure it's the player with the best ability to keep the ball and a good amount of experience.

I would prefer Micheal Carrick as a holding player than Hargreaves and Carrick hasn't got any better defensive play than Beckham really.

My point was that Beckham was always going to be playing in this world cup, so maybe it would of been better to see if he could of played the holding role before the world cup because I think it would of suited England if he could of played there. And after all it was tried once. I would also point out Beckham has played that role for Real Madrid a number of times.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:00 PM

Tom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
He'll be lucky to keep his place in the first eleven after his performances in Germany.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:19 PM

nicky Sam the man is herenicky Sam the man is herenicky Sam the man is herenicky Sam the man is herenicky Sam the man is herenicky Sam the man is herenicky Sam the man is herenicky Sam the man is herenicky Sam the man is herenicky Sam the man is herenicky Sam the man is here
Beckham for holding midfielder?

he cant tackle
he lacks pace
is losing stamina
is inexperienced in that position
and his strengths - crossing and long passing - arent that useful there.

so, no then.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:48 PM

swissroll Sam the man is hereswissroll Sam the man is hereswissroll Sam the man is hereswissroll Sam the man is hereswissroll Sam the man is hereswissroll Sam the man is hereswissroll Sam the man is hereswissroll Sam the man is hereswissroll Sam the man is hereswissroll Sam the man is hereswissroll Sam the man is here
Some short memories here. Beckham was played as an experiment at holding midfield against
Northern Ireland

think you know what happened
Old 08-07-2006, 04:44 AM

Billy Gilbert : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBilly Gilbert : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBilly Gilbert : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBilly Gilbert : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBilly Gilbert : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBilly Gilbert : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBilly Gilbert : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBilly Gilbert : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBilly Gilbert : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBilly Gilbert : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBilly Gilbert : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Heres a thought. How about picking players for England who perform the same role for their clubs.
Hargreaves = defensive midfielder
Gerrard = attacking midfielder
Rooney = support striker

Logical thinking that gets lost in the all the bollox thats surrounds England formation/personnel discussions.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:55 AM
No authority but yourself

philsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is here
The only thing beckham should be holding is the remote,while watching england play on telly.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Billy Gilbert
Heres a thought. How about picking players for England who perform the same role for their clubs.
Rooney = support striker

Logical thinking that gets lost in the all the bollox thats surrounds England formation/personnel discussions.
Beckham plays as the deepest midfielder for his club fairly often.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:40 PM
All views stated are IMHO

glaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by Billy Gilbert
Rooney = support striker

Exactly. Gerrard on the right, Beckham in the middle, like what happens for their clubs.

Gerrard roars forward from the right for Liverpool. He is wasted in centre mid for England. Lampard just had a bad world cup but even despite this, the positions he got himself into and the runs/shots he had in comparison to Gerrard means that he should be in centre mid.
Beckham plays in a deep role for Real madrid. Hargreaves plays defensive mid for Bayern.

Quite why England played Beckham, Rooney and Gerrard out of position I don't know.