Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Other Sport World of Football

Notices

World of Football All non Palace football talk - includes latest scores on Internationals and matches that affect palace.

Old 28-06-2007, 04:15 PM

yt1 is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsyt1 is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsyt1 is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsyt1 is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsyt1 is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsyt1 is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsyt1 is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsyt1 is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsyt1 is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsyt1 is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsyt1 is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadows
Major League Soccer on TV

As some of you may know (thats if you have browsed the threads 'Soccer Camps in USA') I am going to apply in september to join MLS Camps next summer to do some coaching.

While doing my coaching courses at the mo I am trying to do as much research as I can to gain knowledge about Major League Soccer league, or soccer in general in the US before applying. Apart from looking at their website I would like to know if anyone can tell me if there are any matches of MLS currently, or going to be shown on TV in the UK?

Any help or direction would be much appreciated.

thanks
Old 28-06-2007, 04:18 PM
Yehmon, oo...

joe walker : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejoe walker : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejoe walker : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejoe walker : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejoe walker : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejoe walker : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejoe walker : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejoe walker : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejoe walker : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejoe walker : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejoe walker : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Channel 5 used to show highlights in the early hours of the morning, don't know whether they still do?
Old 28-06-2007, 04:19 PM

yt1 is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsyt1 is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsyt1 is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsyt1 is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsyt1 is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsyt1 is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsyt1 is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsyt1 is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsyt1 is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsyt1 is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsyt1 is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadows
cheers, will look into that, anyone else?
Old 28-06-2007, 05:43 PM

Teagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Channel 5 do show highlights, very early in the morning, couldn't tell you which day though. You can actually sign up to mlsnet.com and watch most of the games over the internet for a tenner a season.
Old 28-06-2007, 07:32 PM

cheers teagle, i heard that the 'fox' or 'fox sports' channel on sky/cable may show some games but u have to ring up and book the channel, can anyone confirm this for me?
Old 29-06-2007, 06:51 AM
Uzi Lover

Boyandy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBoyandy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBoyandy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBoyandy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBoyandy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBoyandy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBoyandy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBoyandy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBoyandy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBoyandy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBoyandy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I was up stupidly early on a Saturday morning a couple of weeks ago and they were showing a fair bit of MLS on Goalissimo - 7am on Channel 4.

Couldn't tell you if it was every week though.
Old 29-06-2007, 11:18 AM

Ryan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRyan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRyan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRyan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRyan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRyan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRyan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRyan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRyan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRyan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRyan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
There is a stream on sopcast that shows every LA Galaxy game for free. If anyone wants it I can find the address?
Old 29-06-2007, 11:29 AM
Sir Paul The Great

palacefan_72 has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.palacefan_72 has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.palacefan_72 has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.palacefan_72 has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.palacefan_72 has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.palacefan_72 has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.palacefan_72 has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.palacefan_72 has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.palacefan_72 has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.palacefan_72 has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.palacefan_72 has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.
Im out in Florida at the moment, doing camp america. love it, absolutely love it, am made absolutely pea-nuts but the experience is incredible, plus the fact that im living with 4 girls might have something to do with it! The only MLS I can find over here is on a thursday night, they show one live 'soccer' game a week, thats about it on basic cable. the football is shockingly slow and pasionless but its better than watching "so you think you can dance" like the girls like to watch!
Old 29-06-2007, 04:47 PM

cheers guys, i guess for now its going to be recording games that are shown on channel 5 early in the morning! unless anyone can point me in another direction.

by the way Ryan_the_eagle, can you explain more of what's this 'sopcast' is that shows the LA Galaxy games? sorry to ask as i dont know much about this.
Old 29-06-2007, 05:20 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
I watched the last 15 minutes of the Galaxy v Columbus game earlier this week.

As a game I thought it was OK, but I would love to watch it with English commentators, i.e. one of the Sky/BBC guys.

The American ones just don't seem to sound right.... and get all excited in the wrong places, plus they all try to add their own terminology or "buzz' words.
Old 29-06-2007, 05:47 PM

you may laugh or be confused by their terms of the game and getting things wrong but remember they are still learning about the game.
Old 29-06-2007, 06:00 PM
meatball of a her

mapcontractor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemapcontractor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemapcontractor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemapcontractor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemapcontractor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemapcontractor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemapcontractor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemapcontractor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemapcontractor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemapcontractor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemapcontractor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by palacefan_72
Im out in Florida at the moment, doing camp america. love it, absolutely love it, am made absolutely pea-nuts but the experience is incredible, plus the fact that im living with 4 girls might have something to do with it! The only MLS I can find over here is on a thursday night, they show one live 'soccer' game a week, thats about it on basic cable. the football is shockingly slow and pasionless but its better than watching "so you think you can dance" like the girls like to watch!
ESPN 2 shows a live MLS Thursday night game in HD
The Fox Soccer Channel (FSC) shows a live MLS Saturday night game in SD

Hightlights are shown throughout the week on the Fox Soccer Report at 10pm EST on FSC.

FSC is available on Satellite and Cable but it is usually part of an 'extended' package for an extra monthly charge. Some bars and pubs show it.
Old 29-06-2007, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mapcontractor
ESPN 2 shows a live MLS Thursday night game in HD
The Fox Soccer Channel (FSC) shows a live MLS Saturday night game in SD

Hightlights are shown throughout the week on the Fox Soccer Report at 10pm EST on FSC.

FSC is available on Satellite and Cable but it is usually part of an 'extended' package for an extra monthly charge. Some bars and pubs show it.

the last paragraph you wrote, do you mean satellite and cable here in the UK?
Old 29-06-2007, 06:45 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by yt1
you may laugh or be confused by their terms of the game and getting things wrong but remember they are still learning about the game.
I know what you are saying (and I certainly wouldn't say I laugh at them), and yes, they should put an American slant on the way they do commentary, but I don't buy your "still learning the game" comment. If they haven't got it by now, surely they never will.

I would just say, that as a European, I personally find their commentary annoying and misplaced, and contribute nothing to the goal of making the MLS successful as a TV option (which is surely the reason for the whole exercise, this being America).

I would also add, that I think all other major sports here in the US have incredible commentators.... many very much as iconic as the sports/teams themselves.
Old 29-06-2007, 07:01 PM
White Car

TrevorWel came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrevorWel came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrevorWel came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrevorWel came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrevorWel came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrevorWel came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrevorWel came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrevorWel came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrevorWel came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrevorWel came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrevorWel came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Highlights from all MLS matches are available To view the link you have to Register or Login

Check out Toronto FC for the decent stuff
Old 29-06-2007, 07:45 PM
Genius

joyce the voice came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjoyce the voice came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjoyce the voice came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjoyce the voice came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjoyce the voice came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjoyce the voice came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjoyce the voice came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjoyce the voice came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjoyce the voice came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjoyce the voice came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjoyce the voice came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog
I know what you are saying (and I certainly wouldn't say I laugh at them), and yes, they should put an American slant on the way they do commentary, but I don't buy your "still learning the game" comment. If they haven't got it by now, surely they never will.

I would just say, that as a European, I personally find their commentary annoying and misplaced, and contribute nothing to the goal of making the MLS successful as a TV option (which is surely the reason for the whole exercise, this being America).

I would also add, that I think all other major sports here in the US have incredible commentators.... many very much as iconic as the sports/teams themselves.
you're definitely right hedge. espn made a huge mistake last year by trying to convert a well-known baseball guy, Dave O'Brien, into a football commentator during the World Cup. He was outrageously bad.

Some good recent signs though--the commentary team for the US v Mexico game on Sunday was much better, especiially the color guy. And they now have a good englishman on espn, Adrian something.

Still, it is somewhat mysterious why they can't understand when to cheer etc. I know when a steal in baseball matters and when it doesn't, what a double looks liike as opposed to a fly ball off the bat, why a pitcher might throw balls rather than strikes as a way of getting a hitter to chase a bad pitch etc. My sense is that they are not really watching the game, but waiting for something to happen. Hence they don't really see what is happening in front of them.

I wrote on another thread that the Gold Cup Final pulled in twice the ratings of the Stanley Cup Final, and that was only counting Univision, the Spanish channel; plenty more people watched it on Fox Soccer Channel. Some other good signs: ESPN will cover Euro 2008 (that's kind of amazing, when you think about it), and they have an eight-year MLS contract (ratings are on the rise, slowly).

A few things need to happen for soccer here to really take off: a non-white US soccer player needs to become famous (ie Kobe/Jeter famous); ESPN/ABC need to hire a Latino commentator; second-generation Latinos need to switch to supporting the US (this is starting to happen). I see no reason why more big-names won't come to play in the MLS: big money, no media pressure, they can walk around unmolested, high standard of living etc.). If Brazilians can play in Italy and still play for the national side, then Englishman can play in America and play for England.
Old 29-06-2007, 08:50 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hedgehog
[B]I but I don't buy your "still learning the game" comment. If they haven't got it by now, surely they never will.

sorry hedghog, i didnt think about that, your probably right, they do need to get it right, i dont know too much about that league myself, from only knowing and seeing bits here and there gave me that impression so thats why i said that, so i want to watch games to to learn more and get a better insight to that league.
Old 29-06-2007, 10:59 PM
meatball of a her

mapcontractor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemapcontractor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemapcontractor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemapcontractor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemapcontractor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemapcontractor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemapcontractor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemapcontractor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemapcontractor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemapcontractor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemapcontractor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by yt1
the last paragraph you wrote, do you mean satellite and cable here in the UK?
No in the USA... sorry about the confusion.
Old 29-06-2007, 11:41 PM
The Spiky One

Quote:
Originally posted by yt1
sorry hedghog, i didnt think about that, your probably right, they do need to get it right, i dont know too much about that league myself, from only knowing and seeing bits here and there gave me that impression so thats why i said that, so i want to watch games to to learn more and get a better insight to that league.
No problem.

Good luck in finding games to watch.
Old 29-06-2007, 11:46 PM
The Spiky One

Quote:
Originally posted by joyce the voice
A few things need to happen for soccer here to really take off: a non-white US soccer player needs to become famous (ie Kobe/Jeter famous); ESPN/ABC need to hire a Latino commentator; second-generation Latinos need to switch to supporting the US (this is starting to happen). I see no reason why more big-names won't come to play in the MLS: big money, no media pressure, they can walk around unmolested, high standard of living etc.). If Brazilians can play in Italy and still play for the national side, then Englishman can play in America and play for England.
1. Is Adu (sp?) going to be that guy?

2. That Norbert guy from Argentina that perfected the "Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooal" would do a good job. I've heard him commentate in English, and although not sounding overly confident in it, he knows the game very very well and has good insight, even into European players and teams.

3. I think it will start to happen. Beckham may have opened the door on this one.