Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum

Notices

Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum All things computer, internet, mobile, tablet and video game related.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:44 AM

Feather : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFeather : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFeather : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFeather : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFeather : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFeather : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFeather : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFeather : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFeather : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFeather : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFeather : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlerhorst View Post
The problem is keeping track of which countries are on the list.
I received a text message shortly after landing advising me of it, otherwise I wouldn't have known about it (at least until I received an email on Friday).

Quote:
USA is damn useful though (though it insisted on using the T-Mobile network out there which is a bit rubbish).
Was a mix of T-Mobile and AT&T for me. Both seemed fine for general browsing / email etc.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:01 PM
AKA Barrington Linguine

Location: In the pleasure dromes and ersatz bodega bars of the free world
Smoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is here
Am I better off using wi-fi or bluetooth to tether a 4th gen ipad with an iphone 5 (both using the latest version of IOS? What are the pros and cons of each method?

If it is of any relevance I am on 3, usually with 4G reception, it won't be used for tethering very often, generally just for occasional web browsing.

Last edited by Smoz; 07-07-2014 at 02:06 PM.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:03 PM
Happy Felix Day!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoz View Post
Am I better off using wi-fi or bluetooth to tether a 4th gen ipad with an iphone 5 (both using the latest version of OSX? What are the pros and cons of each method?

If it is of any relevance I am on 3, usually with 4G reception, it won't be used for tethering very often, generally just for occasional web browsing.
My (now dead) 4 and 5S both appear to tether more easily than over wifi to my iPad.
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:58 PM
AKA Barrington Linguine

Smoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is here
Quote:
My (now dead) 4 and 5S both appear to tether more easily than over wifi to my iPad.

I haven't had any problems tethering via either method so far on the odd occasion that I have tried it, was more wondering whether one was quicker or easier on the battery than the other. Or if there were any other pros/cons that I hadn't considered.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:13 PM
Regretting my username...

stinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is here
Quote:
I haven't had any problems tethering via either method so far on the odd occasion that I have tried it, was more wondering whether one was quicker or easier on the battery than the other. Or if there were any other pros/cons that I hadn't considered.
Bluetooth is far easier on the battery.

Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:49 PM

cpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is here
Didn't know there was a 25gb limit, I'm pretty sure I didn't go over it though. Still, a bit cheeky to call it 'feel at home' when it does actually differ from what you normally get.

Pretty damn good though. Also, of you're in a European country that isn't covered by this then you can get a 'Europass' for 5 per day. This allows unlimited Internet usage (I think). Pretty good for a fiver if you want to use maps.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:15 PM
Happy Felix Day!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
Quote:
It would help if I had used the word bluetooth in my first post.

Wifi is quicker.
Bluetooth is better on battery.
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:18 PM
AKA Barrington Linguine

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinky View Post
Bluetooth is far easier on the battery.
Quote:
It would help if I had used the word bluetooth in my first post.

Wifi is quicker.
Bluetooth is better on battery.
Thanks both, have tried to rep both of you but apparently I need to spread it around a bit more.
Old 26-07-2014, 10:33 PM
Bombay Bad Boy

Dave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is here
anyone used their ipad mobile broadband sim abroad?

There appears to be no way of activating without calling three?
Old 29-07-2014, 04:31 PM
Sans Peur

RDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is here
I have O2 4G. I'm impressed. Especially given that, by getting 4G coverage (LTE), you also get HSPA+ coverage, which basically covers almost all the blackspots that the regular HSPA network had.

Last edited by RDSdaEAGLE; 29-07-2014 at 04:37 PM.
Old 29-07-2014, 04:52 PM
Who give you extra?

thehalifaxman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthehalifaxman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthehalifaxman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthehalifaxman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthehalifaxman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthehalifaxman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthehalifaxman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthehalifaxman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthehalifaxman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthehalifaxman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthehalifaxman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
So is three the way to go these days then? I want 4g to make the most of skyGo. There's test matches to be watched when I'm about and about you see.

I've got my PAK code from t-mobile so they've been ringing up offering me EE deals to stay, latest one was 27 pm, loads of texts/minutes + free Samsung s5 phone but it only had 2gb of data. I read earlier on this thread that James downloaded a film that was over 2gb rather quickly so I don't see how anything other than unlimited data is acceptable. I've found a similar deal with three with unlimited data but would have to pay 200 towards the phone. So question to you guys is: Do I need all that data to go watching sky sports all the time and is there any advantages to EE or three?
Old 29-07-2014, 08:30 PM

cpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is here
Three are very good in my experience. Been with them now for nearly for 4 years and had zero real problems.
Old 29-07-2014, 09:43 PM

chris12164 is saying so much more than just words could ever saychris12164 is saying so much more than just words could ever saychris12164 is saying so much more than just words could ever saychris12164 is saying so much more than just words could ever saychris12164 is saying so much more than just words could ever saychris12164 is saying so much more than just words could ever saychris12164 is saying so much more than just words could ever saychris12164 is saying so much more than just words could ever saychris12164 is saying so much more than just words could ever saychris12164 is saying so much more than just words could ever saychris12164 is saying so much more than just words could ever say
I have been with ee t-mobile for years, no problems. My phone is a Samsung S5 4g with the free calls and texts and 4 gig data, I use mine more for Internet and sky go, at most all I use is 2 gig in a month.
Old 29-07-2014, 09:50 PM
Legal Imbecile and BBS Prophet of Doom (Semi-Retired)

James Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is here
No other network comes close to Three. I have never had any connection problems at Selhurst, Lord's, the Oval, the Ageas Bowl etc streaming Sky Go over 4g. I was at the Ageas yesterday and my friend couldn't even make a call on O2 despite showing full bars with 4g - while I was getting a full speed service. I had to set up a hotspot using tethering on my phone, so he could check his emails.

The fact that calls and data are now included in the allowance when overseas is the icing on the cake. How O2 manages to keep customers with its limited data, no tethering and ridiculous overseas roaming fees (especially when GiffGaff offers a service on the same network with unlimited data at a fraction of the price) is a mystery to me.
Old 29-07-2014, 09:59 PM
Bombay Bad Boy

Dave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is here
Well, three on my ipad is not working at all in Australia - emailed them and they said it should work but I think there may be different rules for mobile phones and ipads
Old 29-07-2014, 10:31 PM

spy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minespy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minespy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minespy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minespy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minespy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minespy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minespy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minespy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minespy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minespy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehalifaxman View Post
So is three the way to go these days then? I want 4g to make the most of skyGo. There's test matches to be watched when I'm about and about you see.

I've got my PAK code from t-mobile so they've been ringing up offering me EE deals to stay, latest one was 27 pm, loads of texts/minutes + free Samsung s5 phone but it only had 2gb of data. I read earlier on this thread that James downloaded a film that was over 2gb rather quickly so I don't see how anything other than unlimited data is acceptable. I've found a similar deal with three with unlimited data but would have to pay 200 towards the phone. So question to you guys is: Do I need all that data to go watching sky sports all the time and is there any advantages to EE or three?
Problem with three is the coverage is so poor. I have been on three for about a year and moved over due to the unlimited tethering on the One plan. Really tempted to go back to giffgaff as the coverage was so much better but they still don't let you tether on the unlimited tariffs
Old 29-07-2014, 10:44 PM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Well, three on my ipad is not working at all in Australia - emailed them and they said it should work but I think there may be different rules for mobile phones and ipads
What terribly bad luck.
Old 29-07-2014, 11:39 PM
Bombay Bad Boy

IKR
Old 30-07-2014, 05:50 AM

Marki came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMarki came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMarki came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMarki came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMarki came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMarki came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMarki came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMarki came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMarki came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMarki came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMarki came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
No other network comes close to Three. I have never had any connection problems at Selhurst, Lord's, the Oval, the Ageas Bowl etc streaming Sky Go over 4g. I was at the Ageas yesterday and my friend couldn't even make a call on O2 despite showing full bars with 4g - while I was getting a full speed service. I had to set up a hotspot using tethering on my phone, so he could check his emails.

The fact that calls and data are now included in the allowance when overseas is the icing on the cake. How O2 manages to keep customers with its limited data, no tethering and ridiculous overseas roaming fees (especially when GiffGaff offers a service on the same network with unlimited data at a fraction of the price) is a mystery to me.
Bizarre. After reading this thread I got a 3 sim card and tried it out. Could just about get a signal in my office in EC3. Shame cos your testimony sounded quite impressive.
Old 30-07-2014, 06:00 AM

olly cromwell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietolly cromwell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietolly cromwell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietolly cromwell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietolly cromwell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietolly cromwell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietolly cromwell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietolly cromwell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietolly cromwell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietolly cromwell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietolly cromwell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I was with 3 when it first started (many years ago) personally I would never go back
I have been with Virgin and I am very happy, cheap and never loose coverage, then again I only want a good iphone and am not interested in music