Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 14-01-2019, 06:12 PM
Shields Utd Futsal Club

Location: Between Jamaica and St Maarten but Sutton for the summer
Timbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is here
I wouldn't describe Kouyate and McArthur as defensive, they both get forward a fair bit
Old 14-01-2019, 06:20 PM

TennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
I wouldn't describe Kouyate and McArthur as defensive, they both get forward a fair bit
They are defensive in the context of they aren't really creative. They'll look to make long runs to get on the end of crosses/half chances granted, but they aren't the sort of player you're going to get orchestrating a game on the ball, pulling the strings and carrying the ball forward with it at their feet. They're still predominantly ball winners that aren't brilliant whilst we're really in possession, which plays a significant part in our poor home form, in my opinion.

Having two players that are offering essentially the same role makes us predictable and easy to defend against. Teams know they can let us have the ball because we're not going to do much with it when we've got no creativity in centre mid. If you take out one of McArthur or Kouyate at home, put Meyer alongside with one going to box to box whilst Meyer pulls the strings, you're going to increase the effectiveness of the player running forward too.

For me the midfield is just incredibly unbalanced, we can get away with that sort of formation against better sides, ball winners in midfield, crowding the game out, winning the ball back then hitting sides on the counter with Kouyate and McArthur running forward into the box is okay. It's just not something that's going to work at home outside of the occasional game when we need to attack a side sitting back.
Old 14-01-2019, 06:34 PM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
I think Meyer has so far been more effective against teams that have attacked us, which kind of contradicts what you are saying.
Old 14-01-2019, 06:35 PM
By hand or by Bannan

Excowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is here
The problem with Kouyate isn't that he's too defensive, it's that he doesn't have enough creativity or passing ability. A player like Yaya Toure in his pomp (extreme example, I know), or even Cabaye would be taking up very similar positions but doing a lot more with the ball.

The thing is, at this level you need midfielders who can both fight for the ball and offer something going forward. It's not like the Championship where you can just stick Owen Garvan behind the strikers and wait for him to get a bit of space. Add to that the fact that we try to play in such a way that Wilf isn't given too much defensive responsibility and there is just no possibility we could add creativity by sacrificing solidity.

That's not an argument against Meyer per se, just that if he does take up a position in a midfield three he will have to get stuck in as much as anyone else. I think he's been alright on the left because the main thing there is keeping shape and protecting the full-back rather than competing physically or putting blocks in.

Werner Herzog

Last edited by Excowboy; 14-01-2019 at 06:39 PM.
Old 14-01-2019, 06:40 PM

TennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
I think Meyer has so far been more effective against teams that have attacked us, which kind of contradicts what you are saying.
Not really? Whenever he has played it's usually been with McArthur and kouyate both playing and making runs from deep on the counter. I even made mention of the fact when he's been out wide left some of the link up play with wilf and pva has been great at times. I'm talking in regards to if we're going to stick with the 4-3-3 rather than the narrow 4-4-2, if you want a 3 man midfield you need someone in there who can move the ball about for you. Is there any surprise that someone that can pass and move the ball forward with it at his feet is effective with fast runners and 2 box to box midfielders to aim for on the counter? Not really.
Old 14-01-2019, 06:49 PM

Owngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is here
The word playmaker is one we have been trying for for years
Old 14-01-2019, 07:14 PM

Lombardo's hair Sam the man is hereLombardo's hair Sam the man is hereLombardo's hair Sam the man is hereLombardo's hair Sam the man is hereLombardo's hair Sam the man is hereLombardo's hair Sam the man is hereLombardo's hair Sam the man is hereLombardo's hair Sam the man is hereLombardo's hair Sam the man is hereLombardo's hair Sam the man is hereLombardo's hair Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuieJack View Post
The reason we are not near to the bottom of the table is due to our well organised defence, but also to the "workers" in the midfield like McArthur, Kouyate and Luka. We would all love to see us play with flair none more so than myself, but the simple fact is we as a team do not posess players with flair other than WZ and AT and now Meyer but who is feeling his way, and when you struggle to score goals then you have to settle for a more cautious approach and it is that what has kept us out of the Bottom Three.
It was this approach by Roy Hodgson last season that kept us up against all the odds, maybe if he had been backed in the transfer window we could be playing with the flair we would all like to see.
So you ignored my point. Almost completely. The right defensive approach is likely to lose more games than win. We are far more expansive and dare I sayvexciting after we've gone behind. Problem I is it often leaves us little time to do anything about it. If we were set up better using our players in best positions and given a CF a chance...AS..We may at least do better at home
Old 14-01-2019, 07:15 PM

Gregz41 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGregz41 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGregz41 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGregz41 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGregz41 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGregz41 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGregz41 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGregz41 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGregz41 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGregz41 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGregz41 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Did you see the Burnley game? They sat back and we were very good with Meyer playing very well indeed.
Old 14-01-2019, 07:26 PM

CP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
I like Kouyate, but his shooting and at times his passing is Sunday league. Think if we’re sticking with a 3 man midfield he should be saved for the big sides personally. Meyer, Luka, Macca for the also rans. We typically dominate possession in those games anyway, so may as well make it more effective and meaningful possession with better ball players. (Tbh I’m just repeating Excowboy and TennesseeKing).
Old 14-01-2019, 08:26 PM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregz41 View Post
Did you see the Burnley game? They sat back and we were very good with Meyer playing very well indeed.
I did. I missed the Brighton and West Ham games, though.
Old 15-01-2019, 11:55 AM
Dougie 21/03/2007

milky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGonzo View Post
Anonymous?

They never really got in our half, of the 90 minutes probably 85 the ball was in their half. They stuck 9 men defending the final 25 yards.

If you see any training ground drills attack Vs defence in that scenario the defenders usually are very effective. The just need to get something on a ball and clear it.

Meyer has decent passing but Grimsby making the match all in that final 25-30 yards meant there was no space. Our players lack decent movement generally and so the options for anyone were very few.

Dann and Kelly came out top in the poll, is it a coincidence that they were the 2 players in the match who had any space, they were able to carry the ball a long way and then with no options in the congestion had a shot.

When we couldn't get a goal, Grimsby maintained their gameplan hoping for a draw and fair enough. Had we have scored one of our chances and the game opened up a little i think we would have seen a VERY different game. That all our players (except Dann and Kelly) did nothing in the game is IMO down to how the game was played rather than individual issues.
Kind of my point. A good player would be able to find space
Old 19-01-2019, 07:30 PM

Reg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is here
his first goal for palace will get a bit lost after that match
but hope it boosts his confidence
Old 19-01-2019, 07:50 PM
By hand or by Bannan

Excowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is here
Hope he starts against Southampton. With their pressing style, we need someone with a bit of composure on the ball.

Werner Herzog
Old 19-01-2019, 07:59 PM

Russboy will cross the room to turn the lights down lowRussboy will cross the room to turn the lights down lowRussboy will cross the room to turn the lights down lowRussboy will cross the room to turn the lights down lowRussboy will cross the room to turn the lights down lowRussboy will cross the room to turn the lights down lowRussboy will cross the room to turn the lights down lowRussboy will cross the room to turn the lights down lowRussboy will cross the room to turn the lights down lowRussboy will cross the room to turn the lights down lowRussboy will cross the room to turn the lights down low
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg_Maudling View Post
his first goal for palace will get a bit lost after that match
but hope it boosts his confidence
Was very heartening to see - nice knockdown from Wickham (reminded me of Murray), and a calm finish by MM. So many times this season our midfielders panic at the sight of goal. If we get better link up play like this we should be okay.
Old 19-01-2019, 08:07 PM
Keeping The Faith

gold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is here
Would like to see him given a go against Spurs
Old 19-01-2019, 08:13 PM
I'm thinking about it

Eddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is here
Quote:
I agree.
EDIT that said he was very good against Burnley.

Last edited by Eddie McGoldrick's tash; 19-01-2019 at 08:41 PM.
Old 19-01-2019, 08:38 PM

Wilbraham413 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWilbraham413 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWilbraham413 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWilbraham413 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWilbraham413 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWilbraham413 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWilbraham413 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWilbraham413 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWilbraham413 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWilbraham413 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWilbraham413 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
The fact that we have Zaha, likely the most gifted offensive player outside the top 6 teams, and we can't score any goals at home, points to our midfield lacking any creativity or passing skill.

I honestly don't understand what Kouyate brings to our midfield. He's not a bad player, but what does he add to the team that we don't already have on the field?

Max isn't great, but at least he's offensive minded. Most games it's like we have 3 forwards and 7 defenders.

Playing at home against Cardiff, I don't want a counterattacking team, because Cardiff isn't going to attack. Get some more offensive players on the field.
Old 19-01-2019, 08:47 PM
I'm thinking about it

Eddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilbraham413 View Post
The fact that we have Zaha, likely the most gifted offensive player outside the top 6 teams, and we can't score any goals at home, points to our midfield lacking any creativity or passing skill.

I honestly don't understand what Kouyate brings to our midfield. He's not a bad player, but what does he add to the team that we don't already have on the field?

Max isn't great, but at least he's offensive minded. Most games it's like we have 3 forwards and 7 defenders.

Playing at home against Cardiff, I don't want a counterattacking team, because Cardiff isn't going to attack. Get some more offensive players on the field.
Max started at home to Cardiff but he wasn't very good.
Old 19-01-2019, 09:10 PM
Under Fascist Rule

pauldrulez Sam the man is herepauldrulez Sam the man is herepauldrulez Sam the man is herepauldrulez Sam the man is herepauldrulez Sam the man is herepauldrulez Sam the man is herepauldrulez Sam the man is herepauldrulez Sam the man is herepauldrulez Sam the man is herepauldrulez Sam the man is herepauldrulez Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash View Post
Max started at home to Cardiff but he wasn't very good.
He’s barely started in his actual position.

Why on earth Roy insists on playing him on the left is beyond me.

Get him behind either striker in a 433/4231 and we’ll see how good he is.
Old 19-01-2019, 09:42 PM

Thefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is here
Baller