Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 19-02-2019, 01:17 PM
By hand or by Bannan

Excowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is here
I think at the moment Max is best used off the bench for high energy 20 minute bursts at the end of the game. It's reliant on Roy to actually make the sub, which he's not always keen to do, but seeing as the last 20 minutes is when the game is actually decided I think he could have even more of a positive impact as a sub than a starter.

Werner Herzog
Old 19-02-2019, 01:23 PM

aj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is here
Meyer is a last 30 minute impact player. Defenses tire, normally sit deeper and he can find space in and around the left 1/3 of the box.

He is technically gifted but in reality, he shown anywhere near enough physical presence yet to demonstrate he can control run a game in the Prem from a central position for 90 minutes. He is a useful impact sub and is young enough to improve.

Personally I would like to judge him when he plays behind Benteke or Batman, with Luka and Kouyate behind him, be that from the start or in the last 30 mins. Unfortunately for Max at the moment, that seems a long way away with Schlupps good form

Last edited by aj4england; 19-02-2019 at 01:25 PM.
Old 19-02-2019, 01:26 PM

TennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excowboy View Post
I think at the moment Max is best used off the bench for high energy 20 minute bursts at the end of the game. It's reliant on Roy to actually make the sub, which he's not always keen to do, but seeing as the last 20 minutes is when the game is actually decided I think he could have even more of a positive impact as a sub than a starter.
If we keep doing that, there's quite a realistic prospect he won't be here next summer due to getting f*cked off with playing behind players like Schlupp and McArthur. I like them both, and think they have their roles within our team. But I still personally believe we look a far better team with Meyer in it and I think Wilf agrees. I don't see what McArthur offers mainly, that Meyer does not. Jimmy isn't even that great in the tackle any more and is primarily used to harrass opponents.

Whether or not our tactics are getting the best out of Meyer is a legitimate question though. The amount of times the game bypassed him against Doncaster raises a fair few question marks. But that was more down to the pass back to the defence/keeper and then hoofing it or passing it straight to the wings.

I just think it will be a huge huge shame if we end up losing a player of such clear talent due to the fact we weren't willing to change the team ever so slightly to benefit his enormous talent.
Old 19-02-2019, 01:28 PM

kabbott Sam the man is herekabbott Sam the man is herekabbott Sam the man is herekabbott Sam the man is herekabbott Sam the man is herekabbott Sam the man is herekabbott Sam the man is herekabbott Sam the man is herekabbott Sam the man is herekabbott Sam the man is herekabbott Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagles073 View Post
For me our midfield should be Kouyate and Luka holding with Meyer just behind the striker.
This is what I'd like to see too.
Old 19-02-2019, 01:33 PM

TennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Clubs like ours can't continue going down the workhorse route when you have players with the talent of Meyer available. Not many clubs of our level get away with that for very long before the player wants to leave. I don't think clubs like Bournemouth, Watford, West Ham and their ilk would be using him as an impact sub, and would be benefiting hugely from his skill set as a result.

That thinking is so backwards and is stopping us from really giving him a chance to establish himself within our team, get in a rhythm and most likely lift our team up a level (to upper mid table) that it's incapable of reaching with technically inferior players we're using currently.
Old 19-02-2019, 01:40 PM

cpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is here
Good player but not as effective as Cabaye was. A better footballer than McArthur but I think when both are fully fit, I'd still rather have Jimmy Mac starting.
Old 19-02-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpfc4evandeva View Post
Good player but not as effective as Cabaye was. A better footballer than McArthur but I think when both are fully fit, I'd still rather have Jimmy Mac starting.
A completely fair view point to have I think. My question would be though, McArthur is 31. Meyer, 23. Do we not have to take the calculated risk at some point? And try to bed him in and give him a proper run of games to let him settle and hopefully increase his effectiveness the more he settles. 20 minutes here and there I personally don't feel is allowing him to settle in as much as it maybe should do. It's not going to give him the proper feel for how competitive and aggressive premier league games can be.

Three workhorses in midfield is the 'safe' option, but it's not as though that option has us completely out of sight of relegation spaces. And I honestly think if Meyer played more often we wouldn't be any worse off. There's a chance with him playing more regularly he would have given us another edge in games we were lacking it in.
Old 19-02-2019, 01:57 PM

Lombardo's hair Sam the man is hereLombardo's hair Sam the man is hereLombardo's hair Sam the man is hereLombardo's hair Sam the man is hereLombardo's hair Sam the man is hereLombardo's hair Sam the man is hereLombardo's hair Sam the man is hereLombardo's hair Sam the man is hereLombardo's hair Sam the man is hereLombardo's hair Sam the man is hereLombardo's hair Sam the man is here
Meyer was the most creative a d elusive player we had on Sunday. He makes clever little runs. I watched him closely on TV and he rarely received the ball in space but kept possession. He plays it simplevwhen hevhascto and looks for openings going forward. His goal was the result if him sunning from wide to centre of goal area. Within seconds. He makes things happen especially when wilf is on the pitch
Old 19-02-2019, 02:13 PM

Location: Village of Shepherdswell, which is between Dover and Canterbury.
pots1970 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpots1970 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpots1970 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpots1970 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpots1970 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpots1970 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpots1970 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpots1970 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpots1970 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpots1970 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpots1970 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Are people guessing that he is pissed off not playing more or has he intimated that he is, genuine question, he may also be thinking that the prem is extremely physical and fast, that he needs this season to adjust and is content.
Old 19-02-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pots1970 View Post
Are people guessing that he is pissed off not playing more or has he intimated that he is, genuine question, he may also be thinking that the prem is extremely physical and fast, that he needs this season to adjust and is content.
Nobody is guessing that he's pissed off, I said if he continues being used off the bench for 20 minutes here and there, there is a decent chance he won't be happy for very long.

We're not talking about some lower league player getting used to a higher level. We're talking about a player that has played nearly 150 times for a team that has played in Europe and the top end of the Bundesliga, and for Germany. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say he'll get bored of slumming it on the bench with workhorses preferred in front of him, eventually.
Old 19-02-2019, 02:44 PM

wavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Not many other premiership teams are going to be excited about signing Meyer from us precisely for the reasons he’s not getting that much first team action with us. His defensive game, while not terrible, isn’t that great. If he goes anywhere it’ll be out of England. But I bet there is a plan in place to build his strength and power and improve his defensive game. I have no doubt the management team will be encouraging him to work hard and demonstrate he’s capable.
Old 19-02-2019, 03:15 PM

hdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is here
Max like most of Palace's players being linked with transfers has years left on his Palace contract.

Surely by now fans must realise that Palace rarely sell first team players in spite of constant media rumours that we are prepared to sell them.

Times have changed from when Palace were forced to sell players that they wanted to keep .

COYP
Old 19-02-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdeagle View Post
Max like most of Palace's players being linked with transfers has years left on his Palace contract.

Surely by now fans must realise that Palace rarely sell first team players in spite of constant media rumours that we are prepared to sell them.

Times have changed from when Palace were forced to sell players that they wanted to keep .

COYP
What on earth does any of this have to do with anything discussed? If players aren't happy and want to leave, it happens. Mandanda didn't want to be here, he was swiftly moved on.

That's not to say Meyer doesn't want to be here and is unhappy. I just don't believe he will be overly enthralled with the prospect of 20 minute cameos past this season.

None of what you said makes any difference to that fact. Clubs like Palace aren't in a position to play hardball when players truly don't want to be here, because high salaries not playing equals huge drains on resources.
Old 19-02-2019, 03:24 PM
Happy Felix Day!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdeagle View Post

COYP
He has two and a bit years left on his contract and has already demonstrated a propensity to run down contracts to leave as a free agent.

I doubt we ever sel Max Mayer, even if we wanted to. I fully expect him to leave on a free in two years time.
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 19-02-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavey View Post
Not many other premiership teams are going to be excited about signing Meyer from us precisely for the reasons he’s not getting that much first team action with us. His defensive game, while not terrible, isn’t that great. If he goes anywhere it’ll be out of England. But I bet there is a plan in place to build his strength and power and improve his defensive game. I have no doubt the management team will be encouraging him to work hard and demonstrate he’s capable.
I think most clubs would be a bit sharper than that, and would realise he wasn't being utilised in a proper way to gain maximum effectiveness. Whether that is because he's just not a good fit with Roy's system and he'd never likely be a success here on that basis I don't know. I'm leaning more towards him just not being a good fit, but if you stick him in a pass and move side, say early 2010's Swansea. We'd be seeing him linked with Top 6 sides already.

This whole pace and power thing really is such a huge myth. He's technically more than able, his workrate is just fine. Maybe his fitness can improve but when you stick a playmaker in a side that is so hard wired to get the ball forward quickly, at pace and predominantly down the wings. It's no real surprise he hasn't been seen at his personal best.
Old 19-02-2019, 04:04 PM

wavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeKing View Post
I think most clubs would be a bit sharper than that, and would realise he wasn't being utilised in a proper way to gain maximum effectiveness. Whether that is because he's just not a good fit with Roy's system and he'd never likely be a success here on that basis I don't know. I'm leaning more towards him just not being a good fit, but if you stick him in a pass and move side, say early 2010's Swansea. We'd be seeing him linked with Top 6 sides already.

This whole pace and power thing really is such a huge myth. He's technically more than able, his workrate is just fine. Maybe his fitness can improve but when you stick a playmaker in a side that is so hard wired to get the ball forward quickly, at pace and predominantly down the wings. It's no real surprise he hasn't been seen at his personal best.
I don't think there's much question that he has a lot to offer when we have the ball, it's when we don't his abilities come into question and that makes him hard to fit into the team.
Old 19-02-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavey View Post
I don't think there's much question that he has a lot to offer when we have the ball, it's when we don't his abilities come into question and that makes him hard to fit into the team.
I think therein lies the underlying problem though. How many players do you need to be solid when off the ball? If you can't accommodate a playmaker with two ball winners in centre mid already then we are always going to struggle. I also am not so sure he's questionable off the ball either. I've seen him win the ball and intercept with more than his fair share.

If we continue playing workhorses that do a little bit of everything, but aren't able to really hurt other teams on the ball. Wilf and the like are going to continue to struggle due to having less support in attack.
Old 19-02-2019, 04:20 PM
This was a triumph.....

red&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeKing View Post

Doncaster were brushing him off the ball......He's very young he'll get stronger as he ages and we build his physicality.

You do realise that he trains during the week it's not like he hibernates between matches. This is where we turn him into Yohan Cabaye not during critical matches where we are trying to secure our premiership safety.
Old 19-02-2019, 04:24 PM
Millsie02

Shipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is here
It does amuse me how many people continue to fail to see the value of McArthur! He is such an important player for us for years... He does so much work especially off the ball it's untrue.

He is on a much smaller scale a little bit like Fernandinho for City. You don't realise what he does but significantly weaker without him in the team or struggle when he has a bad day!
Old 19-02-2019, 04:26 PM

CP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipp Ahoy! View Post
It does amuse me how many people continue to fail to see the value of McArthur! He is such an important player for us for years... He does so much work especially off the ball it's untrue.

He is on a much smaller scale a little bit like Fernandinho for City. You don't realise what he does but significantly weaker without him in the team or struggle when he has a bad day!
Doesn’t matter what scale, that’s an absurd comparison. Not even similar playstyles.