Home | Forums | Galleries | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

View Poll Results: What's the best Floyd Album?
Piper at the Gates of Dawn 7 7.00%
A Saucerful of Secrets 0 0%
Soundtrack to "More" 0 0%
Ummagumma 2 2.00%
Atom Heart Mother 3 3.00%
Meddle 5 5.00%
Obscured By Clouds 2 2.00%
Dark Side of the Moon 25 25.00%
Wish You Were Here 16 16.00%
Animals 9 9.00%
The Wall 13 13.00%
The Final Cut 4 4.00%
I don't like Pink Floyd but thought I'd vote anyway 14 14.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-07-2003, 01:23 PM
Greatest Mouse Detective

Location: In a post box in the heart of Mayfair, and at Lloyd's
DANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by Gooders
p.s. I didn't like The Wall much either, but would argue until the cows come home that DSoTM is one of the greatest albums ever, and that Us and Them is one of the outstanding album tracks ever.
Sounds pretty good as reggae too!
Old 04-07-2003, 01:37 PM

Gooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I think I'll probably just take your word for that, DM!
Old 04-07-2003, 04:15 PM

THB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTHB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTHB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTHB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTHB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTHB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTHB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTHB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTHB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTHB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTHB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Post Syd Floyd. Yuck. Bike. Yay!!

Madcap laughs trumps all these!
Old 06-07-2003, 10:50 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by THB

Oh, f*ck almighty, I was jsut waiting for this post to come up!

No disrespect, THB, but this is always the argument that comes up - they were great before the nutter left the band.
Nope, I'm not buying this, in my book they were easily as sh*t back then.

This is the argument that w*nky NME writers have used since the dawn of time, to justify either their questionable tastes or to 'prove' their hipness.
Nick Drake. Couldn't sell sh*t when he was alive, and is now the best thing since sliced bread.
Tim Buckley. Ditto.
Give it ten years, and the NME will be claiming, in the new post-ironic era, that Girls Aloud were fab.
I once met a rock journalist who hadn't heard of Neil Young.......
Old 07-07-2003, 08:40 AM
Greatest Mouse Detective

DANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by THB

Nope.
Old 07-07-2003, 08:44 AM
Fresh Vince of Hilaire

Psychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by Stellavista
Oh, f*ck almighty, I was jsut waiting for this post to come up!

No disrespect, THB, but this is always the argument that comes up - they were great before the nutter left the band.
Nope, I'm not buying this, in my book they were easily as sh*t back then.

This is the argument that w*nky NME writers have used since the dawn of time, to justify either their questionable tastes or to 'prove' their hipness.
Nick Drake. Couldn't sell sh*t when he was alive, and is now the best thing since sliced bread.
Tim Buckley. Ditto.
Give it ten years, and the NME will be claiming, in the new post-ironic era, that Girls Aloud were fab.
I once met a rock journalist who hadn't heard of Neil Young.......
Syd Barrett to me is one of the most creative, innovative and unique songwriters ever.

Though I agree with your comments re the NME. It's a pathetic piece of bog roll written by jumped up student types who think that they're "trendsetters". When they slag off an artist it's rarely constructive.
Old 07-07-2003, 08:53 AM

greybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
The best floyd album has to be "Echoes"

https://www.gofundme.com/supporting-katerina
Old 07-07-2003, 08:58 AM
Greatest Mouse Detective

Quote:
Originally posted by greybot
The best floyd album has to be "Echoes"
Not sure compilations count...
Old 07-07-2003, 09:10 AM

greybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
The poll is ambiguous then

https://www.gofundme.com/supporting-katerina
Old 15-03-2019, 04:38 AM

KingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Massive throwback but Animals was amazing to me. A political protest album that is very relatable to today. THOSE GUITARS ARE AMAZING. Echoes is a masterpiece track. DSOTM amazing. WYWH is a great listen. Also loved the wall especially comfortably numb and young lust. Greatest band ever in my opinion and I'm yet to hear anyone make a guitar sing like Gilmour does.
Old 15-03-2019, 05:26 AM

Palace Yankee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Yankee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Yankee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Yankee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Yankee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Yankee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Yankee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Yankee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Yankee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Yankee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Yankee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCoppell View Post
Massive throwback but Animals was amazing to me. A political protest album that is very relatable to today. THOSE GUITARS ARE AMAZING. Echoes is a masterpiece track. DSOTM amazing. WYWH is a great listen. Also loved the wall especially comfortably numb and young lust. Greatest band ever in my opinion and I'm yet to hear anyone make a guitar sing like Gilmour does.
Wasn't Echoes on Meddle? Fearless is the track for me from that. What a band.
Old 15-03-2019, 07:13 AM

KingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palace Yankee View Post
Wasn't Echoes on Meddle? Fearless is the track for me from that. What a band.
Echoes was on meddle but I was just referencing that track on its own rather then the album.
Old 15-03-2019, 07:42 AM
Greatest Mouse Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANGERMOUSE View Post
I once saw Meddle referred to as the first ever ambient record; not really in to ambient music, but I can see what they're driving at.

And on that point, when I was a student, one of the record stalls with a regular spot at the union sold a number of ambient/trance remixes of whole Floyd albums, including Atom, Meddle, Obscured and Dark Side. Not sure if they were entirely official, as I've never seen them in British record shops, and they came from Holland, home of the bootleg. Unfortunately, being a student I couldn't afford to risk a tenner on them.
Wow, this thread is a blast from the past.

In the intervening decade-and-a-half I actually managed to find the trance remix of Meddle I mentioned above. It's quite good.

I've also acquired a bunch more tribute albums, several of which are actually decent listens and take the covers in a different direction to the original. For a quite dark and intense set of covers (I think of it as a night-time album) this is an interesting and worthwhile listen:

Meanwhile, if you ever want to hear a disco version of 'Summer 68', 'Free Four' or 'Interstellar Overdrive', then this is the place to find them:

Old 16-03-2019, 03:31 PM

Palace Yankee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Yankee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Yankee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Yankee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Yankee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Yankee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Yankee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Yankee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Yankee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Yankee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Yankee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCoppell View Post
Echoes was on meddle but I was just referencing that track on its own rather then the album.
Old 17-03-2019, 10:24 AM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
Haven't changed my position on Floyd since then.
Though my 15 year-old son plays a very decent acoustic version of Wish you Were Here. I have counteracted his guitar teacher's errant behaviour by teaching him to play White Riot. We're also exploring Zappa a bit. I think of it as a musical exorcism..

Last edited by Stellavista; 17-03-2019 at 10:28 AM.
Old 18-03-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellavista View Post
Haven't changed my position on Floyd since then.
Though my 15 year-old son plays a very decent acoustic version of Wish you Were Here. I have counteracted his guitar teacher's errant behaviour by teaching him to play White Riot. We're also exploring Zappa a bit. I think of it as a musical exorcism..
Floyd is one of those you either get it or you don't. But I put that down authenticity they didn't want to cater for the masses but only wanted to please the people who wanted to listen to their sound. They made some great rock and roll type songs here and there almost just to prove if they wanted to they could do it. If you've heard the nile song it's a metal track before metal existed. I love floyd
Old Today, 08:07 PM

jhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
DSOTM still stands the test of time. Remarkable production quality, writing, recording & musicianship, filled with sounds & ideas way ahead of it's time. Sold over 45 miilion copies for good reason! It's one of a kind!

Last edited by jhc; Today at 08:09 PM.