Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Other Sport » World of Football

Notices

World of Football All non Palace football talk - includes latest scores on Internationals and matches that affect palace.

Old 26-09-2014, 08:37 PM
Burbs Palace

Typical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Are Players Testemonials Still Appropriate? - split from JS Testemonial Thread.

With the apparent sentiment pervading the club currently I wouldn't be surprised to see 10 more years and another testimonial.

Testimonials are right in this kind of circumstance but surely the money raised should go to charity? Modern footballers don't need any more money, and that was the reason for testimonials in the past.
Old 26-09-2014, 08:39 PM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
Julian does tons for charities already.
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 26-09-2014, 08:42 PM

East-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typical Palace View Post
With the apparent sentiment pervading the club currently I wouldn't be surprised to see 10 more years and another testimonial.

Testimonials are right in this kind of circumstance but surely the money raised should go to charity? Modern footballers don't need any more money, and that was the reason for testimonials in the past.
The one thread where I see no reason for anyone to complain.....wait....oh yes , there it is...
Old 26-09-2014, 08:48 PM
Burbs Palace

Typical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by East-End Eagle View Post
The one thread where I see no reason for anyone to complain.....wait....oh yes , there it is...
Sorry about that.

Let's celebrate and debates the whys and wherefores later
Old 26-09-2014, 09:00 PM

PALACEFAN came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPALACEFAN came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPALACEFAN came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPALACEFAN came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPALACEFAN came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPALACEFAN came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPALACEFAN came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPALACEFAN came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPALACEFAN came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPALACEFAN came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPALACEFAN came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by East-End Eagle View Post
Ha ha, exactly my thought when I read it.

It probably won't long before someone calls Speroni shit and a whole bunch of arguments start!
Old 26-09-2014, 09:01 PM

PALACEFAN came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPALACEFAN came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPALACEFAN came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPALACEFAN came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPALACEFAN came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPALACEFAN came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPALACEFAN came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPALACEFAN came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPALACEFAN came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPALACEFAN came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPALACEFAN came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Sorry about that.

Let's celebrate and debates the whys and wherefores later
Old 27-09-2014, 08:45 AM

cranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is here
Quote:

Yes and no

Don't forget, a player gets a cut of any transfer fee, Jules hasn't had one so while I am sure he is paid well he won't have made the mega bucks that others have made, If it were 10 years at Arsenal or Man U i'd agree 100% though.
Old 27-09-2014, 10:50 AM

Owngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is here
Quote:

It is entirely up to the player for money - bit like saying your pension lump sum should be donated?? Niall Quinn was an exception when it came to setting that particular example. To me it is not about giving Jules a nest egg but showing that his time with the club is being marked by the fans.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:14 PM
Bombay Bad Boy

Dave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is here
I have mixed feelings about testimonials, including this one.

Previously it was a way of saying thank-you to a player for their loyalty and send them off with a few quid in their pockets.

These days thats hard to identify with given Premier League wages.

If the idea is to raise money for Julian then a big team like Celtic is what we need.

If the idea is to celebrate the ten years of Julian being part of Palace then I agree a Palace v Palace match sounds good.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:03 PM
I'm thinking about it

Eddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I have mixed feelings about testimonials, including this one.

Previously it was a way of saying thank-you to a player for their loyalty and send them off with a few quid in their pockets.

These days thats hard to identify with given Premier League wages.

If the idea is to raise money for Julian then a big team like Celtic is what we need.

If the idea is to celebrate the ten years of Julian being part of Palace then I agree a Palace v Palace match sounds good.
I know what you mean. Jules has been fantastic in his conduct and contribution to the club but he has no doubt been very, very well rewarded by the club too.
Celebrating Jules time at the club sounds great.
However, raising money for him? No thanks!
Old 15-11-2014, 08:48 AM
Zuffenhausen

917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Holmesdale View Post
Has he made any mention of a charitable donation do we know?
Why would he, and in all honesty what has it got to do with us anyway?

Its his testemonial, and the money raised is his to do with as he sees fit
Old 15-11-2014, 09:00 AM
Under Fascist Rule

pauldrulez Sam the man is herepauldrulez Sam the man is herepauldrulez Sam the man is herepauldrulez Sam the man is herepauldrulez Sam the man is herepauldrulez Sam the man is herepauldrulez Sam the man is herepauldrulez Sam the man is herepauldrulez Sam the man is herepauldrulez Sam the man is herepauldrulez Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by 917L View Post
Why would he, and in all honesty what has it got to do with us anyway?

Its his testemonial, and the money raised is his to do with as he sees fit

Tbf, I wouldn't really contribute all to 5 events for someone on PL wages.

Not being snarky, but charity is different.
Old 15-11-2014, 09:36 AM
Zuffenhausen

917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldrulez View Post
Tbf, I wouldn't really contribute all to 5 events for someone on PL wages.

Not being snarky, but charity is different.
Thats fair enough, and I am sure many will share your view

Mine is that its a testemonial for a a player who has given 10 years service, and we have an opportunity to say thank you

Of course, hardly anyone is likely to have a 10 year testemonial moving forward, at least in the top couple of leagues, and wages have changed dramatically in the last 20 odd years, so the reasoning behind a testemonial has changed somewhat
Old 09-03-2015, 01:54 PM

Clapham Grand came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Grand came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Grand came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Grand came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Grand came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Grand came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Grand came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Grand came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Grand came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Grand came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Grand came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Apologies if this has asked before - will the proceeds of the game be going to charity?
Old 10-03-2015, 07:33 AM
SHUT IT SLAG

Location: We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner
Jack Regan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJack Regan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJack Regan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJack Regan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJack Regan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJack Regan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJack Regan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJack Regan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJack Regan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJack Regan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJack Regan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clapham Grand View Post
Apologies if this has asked before - will the proceeds of the game be going to charity?
Very good question. I don't do tax-free benefit matches for millionaire footballers who don't need the money no matter how much of a 'legend' or 'fine servant' they've been.

However, if the gate receipts for this are going to a worthy charity I might go.
The president of the Commission Mr. Delors said at press conference the other day that he wanted the European Parliament to be the democratic body of the community, he wanted the Commission to be the Executive and he wanted the Council of Ministers to be the Senate.

No. No. No.

Margaret Thatcher
Speech in Houses of Parliament
30th October 1990
Old 10-03-2015, 08:03 AM

Owngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clapham Grand View Post
Have been very few footballers who have done this in recent years. It would be a lovely gesture. Was it Frank Stapleton who did it at Sunderland to set a precedent?
Old 10-03-2015, 08:08 AM
XXVII

little al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owngoal View Post
Have been very few footballers who have done this in recent years. It would be a lovely gesture. Was it Frank Stapleton who did it at Sunderland to set a precedent?
I thought it was Niall Quinn first.
Old 10-03-2015, 08:27 AM

Ralph Sam the man is hereRalph Sam the man is hereRalph Sam the man is hereRalph Sam the man is hereRalph Sam the man is hereRalph Sam the man is hereRalph Sam the man is hereRalph Sam the man is hereRalph Sam the man is hereRalph Sam the man is hereRalph Sam the man is here
Most players still give the proceeds to a charity but I guess there's a lack of testimonials nowadays due to the lack of loyalty left in the game. Recent examples though are Fernando Ricksen, Steven Gerrard, Leon Osman, Jussi Jaskalainen and even a little further back to Carragher, Ballack and Steve Harper. All gave the proceeds to their favoured charity. No doubt Jules will do the same.
Old 10-03-2015, 09:07 AM
Very young thick ****

Kirby Sam the man is hereKirby Sam the man is hereKirby Sam the man is hereKirby Sam the man is hereKirby Sam the man is hereKirby Sam the man is hereKirby Sam the man is hereKirby Sam the man is hereKirby Sam the man is hereKirby Sam the man is hereKirby Sam the man is here
Considering Jules does a lot of work for Marie Curie in Caterham I think it's safe to assume some (if not all) of the proceeds will end up with charities.
Old 10-03-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little al View Post
I thought it was Niall Quinn first.
Thata right. Knew it was an ex Arsenal Irish international. Top guy as that was a stadium of light full house. Was in Sunderland the day it happened and all the lamp posts were d corated red and white.