Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 08-07-2019, 01:13 PM
Behind Enemy Lines.

MFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is here
Man United signed Lee Grant at 34/35 to be their 3rd keeper in 2018 for £1.5m. What a shambles.

To view the link you have to Register or Login)
Old 08-07-2019, 01:18 PM

CP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFBias View Post
Man United signed Lee Grant at 34/35 to be their 3rd keeper in 2018 for £1.5m. What a shambles.

Yep, they are a shambles, no one would argue against that.

Although being the richest club in the world in terms of commercial revenue, they’re not exactly as reliant on taking punts on unproven young players to generate money.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:20 PM
I'm thinking about it

Eddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is here
That failure of a club Chelsea signed Rob Green to be theirs at 38! Hopeless! That's why they never win anything.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:21 PM
Lovely

brighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj4england View Post
Players we are linked with: Bolton Goalkeeper (Who did Dougie Manage?): Sign Henderson who was at Forest (Who did Dougie Manage?)

Our scouting is predictable
You've picked one player and made a sweeping generalisation. What about, recently:

Guaita
Kouyate
Meyer

Did any of them play for clubs Dougie has managed??
Old 08-07-2019, 01:22 PM

CP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash View Post
That failure of a club Chelsea signed Rob Green to be theirs at 38! Hopeless! That's why they never win anything.
Yeah, I know right. Where’s the money coming from if not their profits from young, unproven signings? Russian oligarchs and premier league titles and top 4 finishes pay a pittance.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:24 PM

(I have no problem with us signing Henderson, but I will call out the ridiculousness of comparing us to Chelsea and Man United, even if it’s done in jest).
Lovely

brighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Presumably that young, talented keeper wasn't available /affordable. Peri for example would have taken a few million out of our budget for a striker.

Also, i can see a lot of logic in wanting an older more experienced head available to come in should we have a goalkeeping injury crisis.

Lastly if that young keeper was 3rd choice, not even playing in cup games would he be likely to develop and improve in the way you would hope?

I'm very comfortable with the signing and think the logic is pretty clear.
I think the point is we needed a keeper who was happy to be third choice. A young up and coming keeper would want to be pushing for a starting place, and would cost a lot more.

Wycombe Eagle#2 Sam the man is hereWycombe Eagle#2 Sam the man is hereWycombe Eagle#2 Sam the man is hereWycombe Eagle#2 Sam the man is hereWycombe Eagle#2 Sam the man is hereWycombe Eagle#2 Sam the man is hereWycombe Eagle#2 Sam the man is hereWycombe Eagle#2 Sam the man is hereWycombe Eagle#2 Sam the man is hereWycombe Eagle#2 Sam the man is hereWycombe Eagle#2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
No, most of our U23 keepers, like most of our U23 players in every position won't ever be ready for professional 1st team football. Very, very few will ever be ready for Premier League football. That's the point.
We're not asking him to play every week. So you're telling me an u23 cant continue to play for u23s then move up when require to fill in as sub?
Old 08-07-2019, 01:27 PM

dave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP-RJW View Post
That’s just their managers, and I think a club with the riches and success of Chelsea are very different, as they’re far less reliant on player sales as a form of revenue. They also can afford to buy young players with potential to improve that are also established. For example, Hazard, David Luiz, Azpilicueta, Mata, Schurrle and many more were young when Chelsea bought them, but were already well known stars good enough to go straight into their first team.
Their 5 year transfer record suggests otherwise:

Bought £735m (2nd highest in the league)
Sold £445m (highest in the league)

They do have a policy of stocking up on young talent, loaning them out and then hopefully selling them on for a good profit to buy ready established talent.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred. (C.P. Scott)
Old 08-07-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_who_ru View Post
Their 5 year transfer record suggests otherwise:

Bought £735m (2nd highest in the league)
Sold £445m (highest in the league)

They do have a policy of stocking up on young talent, loaning them out and then hopefully selling them on for a good profit to buy ready established talent.
Don’t think I denied that in my post? My point was that they don’t need to take punts on unproven young players anywhere near as much as we do, as they have more money from other sources. Sure they do sell on academy kids for a good profit, but take the sales of Hazard, Oscar, Costa, Matic, Schurrle, David Luiz, Courtois etc etc out, all established stars when Chelsea bought them, and it doesn’t look anywhere near as impressive.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:34 PM

Yogya came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietYogya came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietYogya came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietYogya came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietYogya came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietYogya came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietYogya came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietYogya came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietYogya came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietYogya came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietYogya came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
That's not it at all. I just don't see the logic in signing a goalkeeper who's never going to improve over one who we could develop to potentially be our 'keeper for the next 10+ years.

It's not like we haven't had time to line one up.

It just stinks of a lack of planning, which has been evident at the club for some time now.
The way to develop an up and coming goalkeeper is to loan him out so that he gets competitive games. He will not develop just doing goalkeeping drill in training.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:39 PM
I'm thinking about it

Eddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by brighton_eagle View Post
I think the point is we needed a keeper who was happy to be third choice. A young up and coming keeper would want to be pushing for a starting place, and would cost a lot more.
Yep. All of that.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:39 PM
Very young thick ****

Kirby Sam the man is hereKirby Sam the man is hereKirby Sam the man is hereKirby Sam the man is hereKirby Sam the man is hereKirby Sam the man is hereKirby Sam the man is hereKirby Sam the man is hereKirby Sam the man is hereKirby Sam the man is hereKirby Sam the man is here
Quote:
Presumably that young, talented keeper wasn't available /affordable. Peri for example would have taken a few million out of our budget for a striker.
We've just received £45m for a right-back so I'm not sure that excuse washes. Plus, as I've already said it's not just about the third choice 'keeper, it's about our overall transfer strategy.

Quote:
Lastly if that young keeper was 3rd choice, not even playing in cup games would he be likely to develop and improve in the way you would hope?
I'd like to think we could identify a young 'keeper good enough to challenge Wayne Hennessey for the #2 spot at the very least. We are a Premier League club after all.

Like I said, it's not just about this one position. It's our overall approach.

People have made fair points regarding Chelsea/Watford etc., although I'd argue Chelsea have a lot more money to spend and Watford have the benefit of their owners having their fingers in other pies, opening up a whole new market of players.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:41 PM
Very young thick ****

Kirby Sam the man is hereKirby Sam the man is hereKirby Sam the man is hereKirby Sam the man is hereKirby Sam the man is hereKirby Sam the man is hereKirby Sam the man is hereKirby Sam the man is hereKirby Sam the man is hereKirby Sam the man is hereKirby Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFBias View Post

They don't have an ageing 'keeper as #1 and Wayne Hennessey as #2 though.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:42 PM
I'm thinking about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wycombe Eagle#2 View Post
We're not asking him to play every week. So you're telling me an u23 cant continue to play for u23s then move up when require to fill in as sub?
He wouldn't learn much playing for U23s every week though. If we have an U23 keeper with a genuine chance of making it with us I would rather they went out on loan and played competitive men's football lower down the football ladder.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:42 PM

dave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is here
It mainly went wrong when we bought Benteke and Sakho in a 12 month period on 4 year contracts that will eventually cost us nearer £100m in total. Having 4 players on £100k plus a week in a mid/ lower table side also didn't help.

However, we have survived and hopefully more lessons have been learned.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred. (C.P. Scott)
Old 08-07-2019, 01:43 PM
I'm thinking about it

Quote:
We've just received £45m for a right-back so I'm not sure that excuse washes. Plus, as I've already said it's not just about the third choice 'keeper, it's about our overall transfer strategy.

I'd like to think we could identify a young 'keeper good enough to challenge Wayne Hennessey for the #2 spot at the very least. We are a Premier League club after all.

Like I said, it's not just about this one position. It's our overall approach.

People have made fair points regarding Chelsea/Watford etc., although I'd argue Chelsea have a lot more money to spend and Watford have the benefit of their owners having their fingers in other pies, opening up a whole new market of players.
A good new striker will cost a lot of money. The extra few million will definitely help.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:47 PM
Very young thick ****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogya View Post
The way to develop an up and coming goalkeeper is to loan him out so that he gets competitive games. He will not develop just doing goalkeeping drill in training.
I agree. If we were to sign Henderson as #3 plus another young 'keeper with a view to loaning out/developing (Perri?) then I wouldn't have a problem with it. Maybe that's the plan, but I wouldn't bank on it.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:49 PM
Very young thick ****

Quote:
A good new striker will cost a lot of money. The extra few million will definitely help.
Come on Eddie. It would probably cost the club the equivalent of Bakary Sako's yearly wage to identify and sign a promising lower league goalkeeper.

With £45m in the bank that excuse does not wash I'm afraid.
Old 08-07-2019, 02:00 PM

Spindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is here
Quote:
They don't have an ageing 'keeper as #1 and Wayne Hennessey as #2 though.
He's 32 ffs. That's coming into his peak years, it's like an outfield player being 24. Jeez.