Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Other Sport Ľ World of Sport

Notices

World of Sport Discuss all other sport. Includes betting and gambling threads.

Old 18-04-2019, 07:15 PM
Jolene Jolene Jolene...

Woosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is here
Thanks all, South Norwood and Crystal Palace are a little bit out of my way but I am very grateful for the offers!

Tom, that would be great, drop me a WhatsApp and we can work it out.

Is there somewhere to dump a bag if necessary? I don't plan on bringing anything other than my phone, key and train ticket but if I had to are there usually places to do that?

Riddlesdown is my closest one.

I'm planning to run maybe a couple of times a week to start with, possibly three times a few weeks in. Any tips on warm-ups/stretches that would be good, hamstrings in particular?

Apologies for all the questions

www.itsoktotalk.wordpress.com

'it would be boring if they won every time right?'

To be, or not to be, that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them? To die, to sleep,
No more; and by a sleep to say we end

Last edited by Woosie; 18-04-2019 at 07:23 PM.
Old 18-04-2019, 09:10 PM

cantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is here
When Iíve done riddlesdown back in the day they had somewhere to put valuables- Eaglemart does this one regularly so is best placed to provide an update.
Old 19-04-2019, 06:32 AM

Manc Eagle knows the things you wanted that you could not sayManc Eagle knows the things you wanted that you could not sayManc Eagle knows the things you wanted that you could not sayManc Eagle knows the things you wanted that you could not sayManc Eagle knows the things you wanted that you could not sayManc Eagle knows the things you wanted that you could not sayManc Eagle knows the things you wanted that you could not sayManc Eagle knows the things you wanted that you could not sayManc Eagle knows the things you wanted that you could not sayManc Eagle knows the things you wanted that you could not sayManc Eagle knows the things you wanted that you could not say
Anyone doing the Milton Keynes marathon on 6 May? Will be my first marathon in 9 years. Signed up after a good year of running when pushed my half PB to 1.39 and a sub 21 5k, which is a yard of pace Iíve found that I didnít realise I had. Have been a runner for about 15 years...

Hoping for c3.45 ish in the marathon. Have done 4 18 mile long runs at 8.15-8.30 pace over the last couple of months so am really happy with that, but my weekly mileage hasnít been that high - managed 3-4 runs a week with work and family commitments, so am a bit undercooked but have been keen to avoid injury.

Bin has arrived and itís getting real...
Old 19-04-2019, 06:35 AM

Manc Eagle knows the things you wanted that you could not sayManc Eagle knows the things you wanted that you could not sayManc Eagle knows the things you wanted that you could not sayManc Eagle knows the things you wanted that you could not sayManc Eagle knows the things you wanted that you could not sayManc Eagle knows the things you wanted that you could not sayManc Eagle knows the things you wanted that you could not sayManc Eagle knows the things you wanted that you could not sayManc Eagle knows the things you wanted that you could not sayManc Eagle knows the things you wanted that you could not sayManc Eagle knows the things you wanted that you could not say
Quote:
Originally Posted by che12345 View Post
Woosie, think Cantspell pretty much sums it up. I used to do parkrun with headphones in, I don't now but that's just a change in me. Everyone is different and parkrun is a great reflection on this. There is also always a tail walker so a) you'll never finish last (which does worry some people) and b) if you are the last person then there is someone to keep you company.

I'm a regular at Crystal Palace so happy to be a friendly face if you come here. It's a lot hillier than South Norwood though, just to warn you!

Also for longer runs, Run Through aren't a bad company. Reasonably priced and have a host of 5km, 10km, and half marathon events in London so all quite local. And all pretty low key as well, so might be worth considering.

Agree with Run Through. Did the Olympic Park Half in Feb and theyíre well run and a good bunch. Itís nice to have well run events that are a bit lower key to avoid some of the hype and build up of the bigger events.
Old 19-04-2019, 07:16 AM

cantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manc Eagle View Post
Anyone doing the Milton Keynes marathon on 6 May? Will be my first marathon in 9 years. Signed up after a good year of running when pushed my half PB to 1.39 and a sub 21 5k, which is a yard of pace Iíve found that I didnít realise I had. Have been a runner for about 15 years...

Hoping for c3.45 ish in the marathon. Have done 4 18 mile long runs at 8.15-8.30 pace over the last couple of months so am really happy with that, but my weekly mileage hasnít been that high - managed 3-4 runs a week with work and family commitments, so am a bit undercooked but have been keen to avoid injury.

Bin has arrived and itís getting real...

Good luck weather last year for that was very warm so hopefully not the case this year. If you stick to your pacing you should be ok - I ran that pace in Manchester and deliberately slowed myself down after 2 miles to ensure I didnít crash later in the race.

I ran 4 times a week too but did add some gyn stuff in between. I was determined not to get injured .

Key for me one the day was fuelling right so as well as the gels I had bananas at 1hr and 2hrs. I did set a realistic goal of 4 hrs and managed that finishing in 3:46. Thoughts after was I could beat the time Iíve now achieved but had to ďbankĒ one first.
Old 19-04-2019, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantspell View Post
Good luck weather last year for that was very warm so hopefully not the case this year. If you stick to your pacing you should be ok - I ran that pace in Manchester and deliberately slowed myself down after 2 miles to ensure I didnít crash later in the race.

I ran 4 times a week too but did add some gyn stuff in between. I was determined not to get injured .

Key for me one the day was fuelling right so as well as the gels I had bananas at 1hr and 2hrs. I did set a realistic goal of 4 hrs and managed that finishing in 3:46. Thoughts after was I could beat the time Iíve now achieved but had to ďbankĒ one first.

Congrats - thatís a really good time. Would have liked to do Manchester but timing didnít work. Have seen the ups and downs of marathon season on Strava and seems a common theme to struggle in the last 6 miles so keen to avoid that so will listen to body and also fuel up...

If feeling good on the day Iíll follow the 3.45 pacer initially and then see after about 8 miles whether need to slow down a bit.

Iíve had injury trouble years ago through overtraining for marathons so would be happy to get round unscathed and even though hoping for 3.45, sub 4 or thereabouts would be a massive achievement considering starting point.
Old 19-04-2019, 02:25 PM

Tomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woosie View Post
Thanks all, South Norwood and Crystal Palace are a little bit out of my way but I am very grateful for the offers!

Is there somewhere to dump a bag if necessary? I don't plan on bringing anything other than my phone, key and train ticket but if I had to are there usually places to do that?

I'm planning to run maybe a couple of times a week to start with, possibly three times a few weeks in. Any tips on warm-ups/stretches that would be good, hamstrings in particular?

Yep:
All the ones Iíve ever done have had a place to drop bags and stuff.

Iíll drop you a message later. I might trh and do one tomorrow so will let you know.
Old 19-04-2019, 04:46 PM

ugly and fat : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineugly and fat : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineugly and fat : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineugly and fat : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineugly and fat : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineugly and fat : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineugly and fat : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineugly and fat : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineugly and fat : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineugly and fat : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineugly and fat : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:

i used to do a hamstring stretch by finding something high enough to put my foot on and stretch ( park bench etc), but this rely's on finding somewhere that exactly the right hight for you to do that?
then one day i was watching Palace players doing there warm up and noticed how that did their hamstring stretch realised it doesnt rely on a park bench, changed and have been doing it this way ever since!!!

you kneel on the floor with the leg you want to stretch in front of you ( like at 1:13 in this video) and gently lean forward....

as far as im aware there is only one way to stretch quads and groin, but if anyone has any diff suggestions for those id like to see them!!

The thoughts and opinions expressed here are MY OWN.....

#CRPS read this http://gettingtoknowmecrps.blogspot.co.uk/

to find out what #CRPS is
Old 19-04-2019, 04:48 PM

ugly and fat : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineugly and fat : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineugly and fat : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineugly and fat : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineugly and fat : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineugly and fat : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineugly and fat : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineugly and fat : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineugly and fat : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineugly and fat : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineugly and fat : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
sorry forgot to post video link

To view the link you have to Register or Login

Old 20-04-2019, 06:24 AM

eagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantspell View Post
When Iíve done riddlesdown back in the day they had somewhere to put valuables- Eaglemart does this one regularly so is best placed to provide an update.
Yes, there is a small trailer for bags. Most people don't bring anything. But I always put my bag/coat in there and pick up at the end. If you're ever unsure how a parkrun works or whats the norm, you can volunteer as a course marshall first.
Old 20-04-2019, 10:43 AM
Jolene Jolene Jolene...

Woosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is here
Did my first ever parkrun this morning, really enjoyed it as painful as it was. Having not really run for quite a while I was hoping for something sub-30 minutes and if I got anything sub-25 I'd be delighted.

Managed to do it in 24:12. Absolutely buzzing with that.

www.itsoktotalk.wordpress.com

'it would be boring if they won every time right?'

To be, or not to be, that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them? To die, to sleep,
No more; and by a sleep to say we end
Old 20-04-2019, 12:57 PM

Am Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is here
Quote:
Did my first ever parkrun this morning, really enjoyed it as painful as it was. Having not really run for quite a while I was hoping for something sub-30 minutes and if I got anything sub-25 I'd be delighted.

That's a great time Woosie as did my first Parkrun today too but a few minutes slower. 28:28. Was talking to a neighbour jogging for the first kilometre before I cracked on. Doh! Would like to be doing 24:12 in a few weeks. Keep us up to date with your times.
Old 20-04-2019, 02:31 PM

Tomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is here
Good work Woosie.

I didn’t make Park Run today due to my little one sleeping in till 8:30, so not having an alarm!

Did quite a quick 5k though in the heat at just after 10. About to his 500km run for the year
Old 20-04-2019, 04:31 PM

couple of rest days as i was due to travel to Manchester to watch the ladies play ( couldnt go cos i couldnt get the club coach as my shift finished to late and couldnt afford the extra £60 train/cab fare)
have an hour tomorrow starting at 9 pace then getting 10 secs faster per 15 mins ....

tihnk im being allowed to do Beckenham Place park run next sat!!!

Old 20-04-2019, 08:03 PM
100% behind SP

tasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is here
Found myself in Poole this morning so did their Parkrun. Nearly 1000 runners - must be one of the biggest in the world!

A zippy course around a shallow lake, flat as a pancake, definite PB material. Check it out if you ever find yourself down there. Had a shot at getting my quickest 5k since August 2016 - until I went the wrong way 400m before the end of the course end, forgetting the extra short lap around the cricket pitch.

What a wally - always listen to the briefing!
Old 20-04-2019, 08:15 PM

CPFC85 Sam the man is hereCPFC85 Sam the man is hereCPFC85 Sam the man is hereCPFC85 Sam the man is hereCPFC85 Sam the man is hereCPFC85 Sam the man is hereCPFC85 Sam the man is hereCPFC85 Sam the man is hereCPFC85 Sam the man is hereCPFC85 Sam the man is hereCPFC85 Sam the man is here
Quote:

Always found this guy's running programme's and advice pretty sound.

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 21-04-2019, 07:17 AM
Climbing for dollars

Reps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is here
Quote:

Well done
Old 21-04-2019, 09:42 AM
Once More Into The Fray

Joe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is here
The Running Thread

Just did a random 5k run and managed 29 mins. Quite pleased with that considering i had to stop a couple of times with the urge for a massive turn out!

Previous time when i was a big fat fatty was 41mins!
Old 21-04-2019, 10:37 AM
100% behind SP

tasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is here
^^^^^

12 minutes off your PB, ******* nice!

Sign up to your local Parkrun. I remember when I started about 5 years ago. Every week saw 20 seconds vanishing off the previous week's time. Nothing quite so motivating than confirming you're getting fitter with each passing week. The first few months after you start see the biggest improvements - it'll never quite happen again at such break neck speed, so get on it now and enjoy.
Old 21-04-2019, 10:43 AM
Once More Into The Fray

Joe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasty_snacks View Post
^^^^^

12 minutes off your PB, ******* nice!

Sign up to your local Parkrun. I remember when I started about 5 years ago. Every week saw 20 seconds vanishing off the previous week's time. Nothing quite so motivating than confirming you're getting fitter with each passing week. The first few months after you start see the biggest improvements - it'll never quite happen again at such break neck speed, so get on it now and enjoy.
Think i'll do just that. Got a 12k Nuclear race in May so that should be interesting