Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Other Sport World of Football

Notices

World of Football All non Palace football talk - includes latest scores on Internationals and matches that affect palace.

Old 21-01-2004, 01:14 AM

winston the dog is singing out of tune but the beat's in time winston the dog is singing out of tune but the beat's in time winston the dog is singing out of tune but the beat's in time winston the dog is singing out of tune but the beat's in time winston the dog is singing out of tune but the beat's in time winston the dog is singing out of tune but the beat's in time winston the dog is singing out of tune but the beat's in time winston the dog is singing out of tune but the beat's in time winston the dog is singing out of tune but the beat's in time winston the dog is singing out of tune but the beat's in time winston the dog is singing out of tune but the beat's in time
broken dreams

anyone read this book?
for any footie fan its a must read, esp any palace fan... really explains how el wankface took us to the cleaners with signings he made, esp the walter del rio one where we paid 800,000 for a player who it turns out was released from his contract months earlier!

anyway, a quality book that should make you furious at the way fans are treated

UP THE GLAZIERS
Old 21-01-2004, 01:23 AM
Lough Derg

palace & proud palace & proud palace & proud palace & proud palace & proud palace & proud palace & proud palace & proud palace & proud palace & proud palace & proud
Where did you buy it from + how much???
Old 21-01-2004, 08:12 AM

Aguila : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAguila : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAguila : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAguila : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAguila : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAguila : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAguila : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAguila : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAguila : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAguila : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAguila : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Broken Dreams

Just out in paperback - revised late 2003. Author Tom Bower (who exposed much of Maxwell's dishonesty). Published by Pocketbooks 6.99.
Bought it at Smiths at Gatwick and read it over the weekend. V. depressing particularly as so many of the people involved are still powerful in football and no-one seems to have the will to do anything about it.
Old 21-01-2004, 08:51 AM

Hatch is playing for a contract
Chirpy cockney 'Arry Redknapp doesn't exactly come out of it smelling of roses. Interesting that the tactics he employed at West Ham..."we've only got a tiny squad, the Chairman won't give me any money to spend, I need to go a broad to hunt for bargain basement buys"...are now being repeated at Pompey.

Good to see Bates and George Graham getting a good kicking as well.
Old 21-01-2004, 09:02 AM
Banned by Moderators

paulhgc2002 paulhgc2002 paulhgc2002 paulhgc2002 paulhgc2002 paulhgc2002 paulhgc2002 paulhgc2002 paulhgc2002 paulhgc2002 paulhgc2002
Quote:
Originally posted by palace & proud
Where did you buy it from + how much???

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 21-01-2004, 09:16 AM
Ever the optimist

Raf Raf Raf Raf Raf Raf Raf Raf Raf Raf Raf
Hehe - on Amazon....

Perfect Partner
Buy Broken Dreams: Vanity,Greed and the Souring of British Football... with Fayed: The Unauthorized Biography today!
Old 28-01-2004, 12:10 PM

Amsterdam Eagle lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnAmsterdam Eagle lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnAmsterdam Eagle lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnAmsterdam Eagle lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnAmsterdam Eagle lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnAmsterdam Eagle lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnAmsterdam Eagle lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnAmsterdam Eagle lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnAmsterdam Eagle lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnAmsterdam Eagle lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnAmsterdam Eagle lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawn
Quote:
Originally posted by Hatch
Chirpy cockney 'Arry Redknapp doesn't exactly come out of it smelling of roses.
Read the book but I feel Harry Redknapp was given very unreasonable treatment by the author. My interpretation was that yes he squeezed as much money out of chairmen as possible for his personal benefit, but he did nothing illegal.

Furthermore I noticed a number of factual errors in the book that make you question the validity of the rest of the book.

"The worldwide rise in house prices is the biggest bubble in history" The Economist, June 2005
Old 02-02-2004, 09:56 PM

Gooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I've nearly finished it and, as I was warned, it makes my blood boil.

Managers are always slagging off agents and saying how they are ruining the game but there's only one reason agents continue to exist and wield such power, IMHO, and that's because without them the managers would find it more difficult to make all the disgusting backhanders that they get from buying and selling dodgy players.

Someone like Roach could not have made 10 million out of football without being sanctioned by a sizeable proportion of the football fraternity.

I had always kidded myself that the game in England was nowhere near as corrupt as in Italy but that's exactly what I was doing - kidding myself.

And Coppell doesn't come out of it very well either. When he sat on that commission or whatever it was that was investigating corruption he was clearly either got at, or bottled it.

There are myriad examples of people coming into football and being determined not to play the fraudulent game, but it doesn't seem to take too long before they are up to their necks in muck, just like the rest of them - best example being Alan Sugar of course.

It stinks - and despite all their promises to do something about it, the government are as impotent now as they were when they first came to power.
Old 02-02-2004, 11:00 PM

Gooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I always thought Peter Reid was a bit unlucky to be jettisoned by Sunderland after all he'd done for them but having just read that "Reid had spent 67.5 million on 66 players and only recouped 19.5 million from sales", perhaps I was being hasty!

They included Kim Heiselberg, a defender who returned to Denmark after hardly playing; Jan Eriksson, a Swedish defender who played 45 minutes and was then released; Tom Peeters from Mechlen who arrived and departed without one league appearance; Julio Arca and Nicolas Medina for 3.5 million each - Arca has done ok-ish of course but Reid declared Medina to be unusable (for 3.5 million!!!).

He bought Edwin Zotebier for 325,000 on a 3 year deal and allowed him to leave 6 months later without having played a single game; Eric Roy from Marseilles who he hailed as his best ever signing (dropped after less than half a season); Lillian Laslandes for 3.6 million - never scored during the 2001-2002 season and was loaned out to Cologne; Lionel Perez lasted 2 seasons before being given a free transfer; Carsten Fredgaard for 1.8 million who made one appearance; and probably the best of all, Milton Nunez for 1.6 million - he made one appearance as a sub and then eventually it was discovered that he didn't come from a 1st division team in Uruguay at all, but from a 3rd division team.

All of this money drifting out of the English game and being wasted on talentless buffoons, because "there's a nice drink in it" for the manager.

It is criminal.
Old 03-02-2004, 08:53 AM

Hatch is playing for a contract
Quote:
Originally posted by Gooders
..Lionel Perez lasted 2 seasons before being given a free transfer; ....
Off topic but I thought Perez looked a quality shot-stopper during his Sunderland days. He's now at Stevenage I believe, having arrived there via Cambridge so there is a chance my judgement may have been slightly out.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:44 PM
BOOMSHAKALAKA!!!

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
Not necisarily mate. Newcastle signed Perez from Sunderland.