Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Other Sport World of Football

Notices

World of Football All non Palace football talk - includes latest scores on Internationals and matches that affect palace.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:56 AM

winston the dog is singing out of tune but the beat's in time winston the dog is singing out of tune but the beat's in time winston the dog is singing out of tune but the beat's in time winston the dog is singing out of tune but the beat's in time winston the dog is singing out of tune but the beat's in time winston the dog is singing out of tune but the beat's in time winston the dog is singing out of tune but the beat's in time winston the dog is singing out of tune but the beat's in time winston the dog is singing out of tune but the beat's in time winston the dog is singing out of tune but the beat's in time winston the dog is singing out of tune but the beat's in time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocky
We didn't go into the play-offs that year, we just stayed down at the final whistle.

I remember being really pissed off, so much so I went straight down the pub and shot some greasy West Ham wanker.
Yeah I know, the report came through wrong in the sainsburys end. Hence pitch invasion.

UP THE GLAZIERS
Old 04-07-2011, 05:21 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston the dog
Yeah I know, the report came through wrong in the sainsburys end. Hence pitch invasion.

From my memory of it, us fans all knew the real score at Millwall by the end of the game and but still decided to run on the pitch at the end. The problem was the players thought we'd made it because of this and Geoff Thomas said so after the game:

'We thought we'd done it because when we came off the fans ran on the pitch cheering and shouting. I burst into the dressing room with a smile all over my face and then i saw some of the others just sitting there with long faces or staring into nothing and i asked what was wrong. When they told me Millwall had lost i just couldn't believe it.'

If you watch the TV highlights of the game, there is definitely a drop in atmosphere and excitement just after Thomas' second goal. The misunderstanding happened on the build up to that goal and so the celebrations were bloody crazy, but I'm sure by the last few minutes of the game all supporters knew the reality of the situation at The Den.

I still don't think we ever really know how the rumours started. At first they said it was BBC radio that had put out the wrong score but that was never proved - they denied it too.

I was in the Sainsbury's End that day and my mate had a transister listening to Radio 2 and he never heard it. Another young guy next to us also had a radio and seemed to think he heard that Millwall had equalised, but looking back i honestly think it was a case of hysteria - someone in the crowd putting out a bogus score then the news sweeeping round the ground like wild fire, and people just wanted to believe so much that Millwall had pegged Blackburn back that they just went bananas. I know i did
Old 04-07-2011, 07:43 PM

ElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is here
The story I heard was that it was one of the local stations; Capital Gold or LBC (were LBC still doing football reports in those days?). The presenter supposedly said something like "there's been a vital goal at The Den ... let's see if it's good news for Palace" and somebody either misheard it or made the wrong assumption.

I suspect it was actually somebody being mischievous or downright malelovant that started the crowd reaction. Bastard.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:31 PM

PeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwissAtMemphis
I suspect it was actually somebody being mischievous or downright malelovant that started the crowd reaction. Bastard.
An older relative of the Latin American Horse?