Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Other Sport World of Football

Notices

World of Football All non Palace football talk - includes latest scores on Internationals and matches that affect palace.

Old 15-06-2010, 09:06 AM
Regretting my username...

stinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bendyjoe
Its the ball, I tells ya, the ball...

Seriously, Germany used it in their league last year, and they've been the one team who've played well. Long shots, free kicks all the stuff that's exciting, we've seen none of it. Thank god the championship didn't use it, AMbrose would have got about three goals last year.

I am thoroughly underwhelmed by all I have witnessed.
I think the Frogs and the Argies used it in their leagues too. Although I think it's only been used since around Feb, not the whole season. But still, more than us

Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
Old 15-06-2010, 09:08 AM

Johnnieboy Sam the man is hereJohnnieboy Sam the man is hereJohnnieboy Sam the man is hereJohnnieboy Sam the man is hereJohnnieboy Sam the man is hereJohnnieboy Sam the man is hereJohnnieboy Sam the man is hereJohnnieboy Sam the man is hereJohnnieboy Sam the man is hereJohnnieboy Sam the man is hereJohnnieboy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry from Sussex
Last night there was an added irritation as the BBC had Mick McCarthy moaning all the way through which got so irritating that I had to hit the mute button.
Yes McCarthy was bloody miserable, but I was too busy getting wound up by Jonathan Pearce switching between pronouncing the players' names in his English accent, and then mysteriously switching to trying to do it in an "authentic" accent, and then back again. (eg Torres and then Torrrrrr-Es!). He did the same thing during the Argentina game on Saturday and it sounded irritating and a bit smug and ar$e licky. Speaks highly of me though...
Old 15-06-2010, 09:11 AM
Selhurstian

EagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is here
All this ball nonsense is getting a bit silly. You can just see Blatter heading off to Adidas HQ every world cup.

'We need a ball that will do the unexpected. It doesn't matter if it's tough to play with as Americans don't understand the subtleties of the game anyway. We just need to make sure it results in lots and lots of goals.'

Jeez Sepp, there are only 1bn of us that tune in every 4 years, new ball or not. Is that not enough for you?
Old 15-06-2010, 09:14 AM
Arse end of Nottingham.

henryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is here
I tuned-in to watch the England game with great expectation of us doing really well this tournament. Then the game started and I woke up to the reality that we probably aren't going to do very well this tournament, have a goalkeeper with fingers made of butter, a central defender with bone rubbing on bone for a kneecap, a first-choice striker who doesn't score goals for a living and a manager increasingly looking like a mad professor with a foul temper rather than the urbane, calm, master tactician I'd previously thought he was.

I don't particularly want to watch the games England aren't involved as I have little interest in seeing one team I feel no passion for playing another one I couldn't care less about. Other than all of that, I am having a great time watching the 2010 World Cup, counting Panini double after Panini double whilst I do.
Old 15-06-2010, 09:16 AM

Harry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
First round of group games are often like this, long long way to go yet
Old 15-06-2010, 09:22 AM
Man and beast

Elephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is here
The existence of bad games at a World Cup is myth.

Most teams have been cautious, yes, but no-one wants to lose their first game, or maybe show their full hand too early. What you're looking for is an inkling of how they'll play when they need to attack later on, the shape of the teams, what weaknesses they're trying to mask etc. The good thing about the way-back camera positions is you can see a lot more of all this than in TV Premiership games.

In general I like Mick McCarthy and he makes good comments on how teams are organised, but it's a bit rich for him to get sniffy about defensive tactics when he must have spent the last nine months working out how to stop better sides.
Old 15-06-2010, 09:56 AM
pura vida

Sunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
One of the differences this time is that the weak teams appear better organised than before. And, of course, teams' first matches always tend to be cautious affairs. It'll build, I'm sure, it's very early days yet.
Old 15-06-2010, 09:56 AM
Veteran

JJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney eagle
The games kick off at 9:30pm/midnight and 4:30am here so I'm picking and choosing which games to watch carefully.
It's a bore, isn't it? I've only missed 2 games entirely so far, but that's because I was off work for the second part of last week. The midnight ones are the real killers and are the ones I'll probably miss from now on; I can see the first half of the 4.30's because I get up at about 5 anyway, so an extra half hour doesn't make much difference.

Debated to death or not, I'm certainly sick of the vuvuzelas. First game was acceptable until I noticed that when SA scored, there was absolutely no change in the noise. I read somewhere today that Blatter has come out in favour of them, along the lines of "it's a local custom and we don't want to change it." Well, don't they still occasionally slaughter a goat on the pitch before a big game in Turkey? (I'm sure I remember Les Ferdinand saying something about that.) What would he do then should they ever stage it...?

In terms of marks out of 10, I'd give this WC about a 3 so far. A couple of decent games, one outstanding performance (Germany), but that's about it.
Old 15-06-2010, 10:06 AM

Skin Up Sam the man is hereSkin Up Sam the man is hereSkin Up Sam the man is hereSkin Up Sam the man is hereSkin Up Sam the man is hereSkin Up Sam the man is hereSkin Up Sam the man is hereSkin Up Sam the man is hereSkin Up Sam the man is hereSkin Up Sam the man is hereSkin Up Sam the man is here
The first week is always boring, teams are too cautious, it always gets better fromt he 2nd round of matches....sides like Argentina and Germany can book their second round berth, while the likes of Denmark and Australia are in a lose and go home kind of deal....the 3rd set of matches is always splendid due to the drama.

For some reason after that, the knockout rounds become shit then until the semi final stages.
Old 15-06-2010, 10:11 AM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
I thought I would be glued to each game but they have either been background noise for the most part or I have gone out and done something more exciting.

However it will become increasingly better when the crap and boring teams are knocked out.

So I guess that will be around the semi final stage, when I wont care anyway as England will be out.

A note to all Scots:

If you hate '66 being mentioned so much then you should be hoping England win the thing , as it wont get mentioned that often anymore

And another point to the Scots I have never heard '66 mentioned so much as since I have moved up here. It is actually the Scots who bang on about it more.
Old 15-06-2010, 10:18 AM
Bombay Bad Boy

Dave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant with mouse gyp
The existence of bad games at a World Cup is myth.

Most teams have been cautious, yes, but no-one wants to lose their first game, or maybe show their full hand too early. What you're looking for is an inkling of how they'll play when they need to attack later on, the shape of the teams, what weaknesses they're trying to mask etc. The good thing about the way-back camera positions is you can see a lot more of all this than in TV Premiership games.

In general I like Mick McCarthy and he makes good comments on how teams are organised, but it's a bit rich for him to get sniffy about defensive tactics when he must have spent the last nine months working out how to stop better sides.
enough is enough, it's now clear that this is someone else posting under your name.

Just a thought
Old 15-06-2010, 10:20 AM

Finbar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFinbar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFinbar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFinbar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFinbar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFinbar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFinbar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFinbar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFinbar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFinbar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFinbar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by philsick
Its not surprising germany hit 4 and looked the best so far,apparently they've been using that ball in the bundesliga all year
Is that true, surely not? Big advantage if so and am surprised other leagues haven't (though am sure it's all down to commercial interests)
Old 15-06-2010, 10:20 AM
'or 0=0'

The Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
If you don't like the WC go live in America
lol

Never thought I'd find myself agreeing with so many of your posts, but I like your views on the WC
Old 15-06-2010, 10:25 AM
Regretting my username...

stinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finbar
Is that true, surely not? Big advantage if so and am surprised other leagues haven't (though am sure it's all down to commercial interests)
Yes, as mentioned previously Germany, France and Argentina have, apparently, been using the balls since around Feb in their leagues, although I would've thought most of the French and Argies ply their trades in leagues outside of their home country?

Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
Old 15-06-2010, 10:30 AM
Red with brass buttons

Jordan's Jacket Sam the man is hereJordan's Jacket Sam the man is hereJordan's Jacket Sam the man is hereJordan's Jacket Sam the man is hereJordan's Jacket Sam the man is hereJordan's Jacket Sam the man is hereJordan's Jacket Sam the man is hereJordan's Jacket Sam the man is hereJordan's Jacket Sam the man is hereJordan's Jacket Sam the man is hereJordan's Jacket Sam the man is here
Combination of vuvuzelas destorying the atmosphere and a football which would be better used in a game of blow football, it's so light, have made this the worst World Cup I have seen. However, it is early days and I hope the football will improve, but please ban those damned horns!!!!
Old 15-06-2010, 10:35 AM
Man and beast

Elephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
enough is enough, it's now clear that this is someone else posting under your name.

Just a thought
Who's been blowing your vuvuzela?

Always loved every game at every world cup and always liked McCarthy, as a manager and pundit, if not as a player. He has a funny turn of phrase, less football journo-ese than some.

Is this some I-Love-Roy-Keane Irish thing?
Old 15-06-2010, 10:57 AM
Bombay Bad Boy

Dave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant with mouse gyp
Who's been blowing your vuvuzela?

Always loved every game at every world cup and always liked McCarthy, as a manager and pundit, if not as a player. He has a funny turn of phrase, less football journo-ese than some.

Is this some I-Love-Roy-Keane Irish thing?
He is Millwall filth and can the worst pundit bar none.

You sir appear to be pulling my leg.
Old 15-06-2010, 11:14 AM
Eagles Fitter Fan Group 1

andy burton has got sunshine in a bagandy burton has got sunshine in a bagandy burton has got sunshine in a bagandy burton has got sunshine in a bagandy burton has got sunshine in a bagandy burton has got sunshine in a bagandy burton has got sunshine in a bagandy burton has got sunshine in a bagandy burton has got sunshine in a bagandy burton has got sunshine in a bagandy burton has got sunshine in a bag
If you think its boring now, wait until the 'expert' pundits and commentators start banging on about the 'silky skills' of the 'perfect' Brazilians, who of course never misplace a pass, fail to control the ball or make any sort of poor foul - then, like me you'll be ready to stick your foot through the TV, Vuvuzelas or not (which i'd quite happily shove up a certain Mr Blatter's ar*e!) As for the ball....why does it have to be lighter or rounder? I dont think its done much in the air but the bounce doesnt seem true all of the time. I say make 'em play with a lace up leather ball then we'll see how skilful they are, but then they're precious feet in their football slippers will be a bit sore, bless 'em.

Twitter - @AndyPBurton
Old 15-06-2010, 11:14 AM
substitute

beef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is here
I've enjoyed it so far. Very rarely watch TV/listen to radio/read papers so I've dodged all of the hype and have just been excited to see some football rather than buy some products.

I've watched most of the games so far and am even excited about New Zealand vs Slovakia!
Old 15-06-2010, 11:17 AM

macstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is here
I sound like a broken record here, but i think the vuva..whatevers have ruined the atmosphere for the supporters AND the players.

i cant be arsed to watch the average games like japan v cameroon because of them, and normally i would...

im sure the viewing figures are down..