Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Other Sport World of Football

Notices

World of Football All non Palace football talk - includes latest scores on Internationals and matches that affect palace.

Old 19-06-2010, 03:22 AM
Sans Peur

RDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is here
It was shocking refereeing, but having had to put up with US fans during both of the England games I've watched, I am delighted.

There really, truly is nothing worse than an American sports fan and American sports presentation.

The fans I had to suffer through were whooping Algeria-supporting (I say supporting, but then the majority of them came out with crap about them being turbanheads and satanic...) wankers who had absolutely NO idea what constituted a foul and what didn't. Trying to explain that 'soccer' doesn't have video replays and that the game just goes on was like trying to teach University-level science to a toddler.

As for ESPN, it's a shitload of adverts, followed by a tiny bit of ginger-pubed dickhead Alexei Lalas speaking with the 'international' wisdom that a season at Padova in the Italian Serie B could give him (I won't count his years in the MLS as that really isn't competitive football...), followed by more adverts, followed by a discussion about the games Man of the Match (before it has even kicked off...) followed by the first half.

Throughout the first half, there are little adverts by the scoreline detailing just who is sponsoring the half. Budweiser, Hyundai - same old, same old.

After the first half, you have the 'Hyundai Half-Time Show brought to you by America's most reliable auto-maker, Hyundai!' with more of that insufferable **** Lalas whining about the American goal that wasn't given, followed by Lalas saying something stupidly controversial and trying to talk down to Real Madrid favourite Steve McManaman.

You then have the 'Hyundai Post-Game Show brought to you by America's most reliable auto-maker, Hyundai!' giving that knobhead Lalas more airtime, with more discussion about America not getting that winning goal, and how amazing Landon 'I go missing for 85-minutes at a time' Donovan's goal was.

I thought the US actually got quite lucky. Had it not been for Samir Handanovic's shameful cowardice when faced with Landon Donovan bearing down on goal, they wouldn't have had the impetus to push on. Great finish, utterly atrocious goalkeeping.

I need a lie down

Last edited by RDSdaEAGLE; 19-06-2010 at 03:26 AM.
Old 19-06-2010, 03:38 AM
XXVII

RUSSELL came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRUSSELL came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRUSSELL came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRUSSELL came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRUSSELL came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRUSSELL came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRUSSELL came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRUSSELL came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRUSSELL came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRUSSELL came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRUSSELL came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSdaEAGLE
It was shocking refereeing, but having had to put up with US fans during both of the England games I've watched, I am delighted.

There really, truly is nothing worse than an American sports fan and American sports presentation.

The fans I had to suffer through were whooping Algeria-supporting (I say supporting, but then the majority of them came out with crap about them being turbanheads and satanic...) wankers who had absolutely NO idea what constituted a foul and what didn't. Trying to explain that 'soccer' doesn't have video replays and that the game just goes on was like trying to teach University-level science to a toddler.

As for ESPN, it's a shitload of adverts, followed by a tiny bit of ginger-pubed dickhead Alexei Lalas speaking with the 'international' wisdom that a season at Padova in the Italian Serie B could give him (I won't count his years in the MLS as that really isn't competitive football...), followed by more adverts, followed by a discussion about the games Man of the Match (before it has even kicked off...) followed by the first half.

Throughout the first half, there are little adverts by the scoreline detailing just who is sponsoring the half. Budweiser, Hyundai - same old, same old.

After the first half, you have the 'Hyundai Half-Time Show brought to you by America's most reliable auto-maker, Hyundai!' with more of that insufferable **** Lalas whining about the American goal that wasn't given, followed by Lalas saying something stupidly controversial and trying to talk down to Real Madrid favourite Steve McManaman.

You then have the 'Hyundai Post-Game Show brought to you by America's most reliable auto-maker, Hyundai!' giving that knobhead Lalas more airtime, with more discussion about America not getting that winning goal, and how amazing Landon 'I go missing for 85-minutes at a time' Donovan's goal was.

I thought the US actually got quite lucky. Had it not been for Samir Handanovic's shameful cowardice when faced with Landon Donovan bearing down on goal, they wouldn't have had the impetus to push on. Great finish, utterly atrocious goalkeeping.

I need a lie down

**** me....And I thought we had it bad just watching England but to put up with that crap too! I'd have topped myself!
Old 19-06-2010, 02:22 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
I'm having to separate my feeling for the US team from my feelings for the average US person/fan.

I was loving it when they were 2-0 down as it was fun to see the back tracking with people at work, but I was pretty impressed with the teams comeback and really think they were hard done by in the end. It really is hard to not see the "spirit" the team has, I just wish the "fans" (and I use that term lightly) appreciated their team for what they are doing.

At work it was all about The Lakers yesterday, so plucky little USA was pretty low on the minds of people here.

I can't believe in 2010 the ignorance of soccer and its rules etc from the people I work with.
Old 19-06-2010, 03:00 PM
Vermontster

mrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is here
Quote:
true

Racism is man's gravest threat to men - the maximum of hatred from the minimum of reason.
Abraham J. Herschel, Jewish theologian and philosopher

be nice to me...I have considerable rep power!
Old 20-06-2010, 06:33 AM
Sans Peur

RDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is here
Had another encounter with one USA fan today. He doesn't watch 'soccer', he's a baseball man, but he still felt the need to make a point about the refereeing decision which cost them the third goal. Again, he asked why they didn't instantly review the decision and award the goal - 'they do it in all the US sports...'

I have a lot of respect for the way the US team managed to fight back. I don't have much time for the pathetic coverage that the decision has received - it's football, it happens, you get on with it. I absolutely loathe the average US johnny-come-lately fan, and I will now watch the rest of the World Cup from the comfort of my living room, as I can't stand it anymore!

Alexei Lalas and his ridiculous controversy-in-everything approach is doing more damage to football over here than anything else - there are so many people I've encountered who come out with the same shit he does (because they no doubt hear what he says and take it as fact...), it's embarrassing.
Old 20-06-2010, 03:30 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
Had another encounter with one USA fan today. He doesn't watch 'soccer', he's a baseball man, but he still felt the need to make a point about the refereeing decision which cost them the third goal. Again, he asked why they didn't instantly review the decision and award the goal - 'they do it in all the US sports...'

I have a lot of respect for the way the US team managed to fight back. I don't have much time for the pathetic coverage that the decision has received - it's football, it happens, you get on with it. I absolutely loathe the average US johnny-come-lately fan, and I will now watch the rest of the World Cup from the comfort of my living room, as I can't stand it anymore!

Alexei Lalas and his ridiculous controversy-in-everything approach is doing more damage to football over here than anything else - there are so many people I've encountered who come out with the same shit he does (because they no doubt hear what he says and take it as fact...), it's embarrassing.
What gets me is at work I am talking with guys that played the game at AYSO level, their kids now play the game, and even in some cases now have grandchildren playing the game... and they STILL don't get it.

If I have to explain how the group section of the WC works, and why they are not doing penalty shoot outs at this stage again I'm going to go postal!
Old 20-06-2010, 04:25 PM
Vermontster

mrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalaceFan in Alabama
Please Fox Soccer Channel/ESPN/ABC, take Lalas out as a analysis the guy is a joke
Pompous twat is what he is

Racism is man's gravest threat to men - the maximum of hatred from the minimum of reason.

Old 20-06-2010, 04:27 PM
Vermontster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog
What gets me is at work I am talking with guys that played the game at AYSO level, their kids now play the game, and even in some cases now have grandchildren playing the game... and they STILL don't get it.

If I have to explain how the group section of the WC works, and why they are not doing penalty shoot outs at this stage again I'm going to go postal!
I hear you!

Old 20-06-2010, 04:28 PM
Vermontster

I hope the US never has enough influence to change the rules!

Old 20-06-2010, 04:34 PM
The Spiky One

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgins
I hope the US never has enough influence to change the rules!
FIFA do a terrible job of that on their own, they don't need the US to help.
Old 20-06-2010, 04:46 PM
Upper Norwood Exile

PalaceFan in Alabama : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalaceFan in Alabama : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalaceFan in Alabama : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalaceFan in Alabama : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalaceFan in Alabama : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalaceFan in Alabama : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalaceFan in Alabama : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalaceFan in Alabama : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalaceFan in Alabama : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalaceFan in Alabama : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalaceFan in Alabama : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:

Alexei Lalas and his ridiculous controversy-in-everything approach is doing more damage to football over here than anything else.
Lalas what can one say, this morning he stated that Donovan is the only player in the WC to master the ball it was a sub who played the ball into the goal area.
He showed the first goal for Brasil, from completly the wrong angle, it showed a direct shot from the edge of the goal area.
Old 21-06-2010, 03:52 AM
Sad Moon Risin'

Location: 3951 miles (6358 km) (3433 nautical miles) from Selhurst
jlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
You guys make me smile sometimes
"It hurts us here," Jose Luis Luviano, a fan in Mexico City, said as he punched his chest. Tears melted the Mexican flags painted on his cheeks. "There has to be an end to this disgrace where (Americans) treat us like rats and idiots."
-WC 2002 US 2 - 0 Mexico

Facebook