Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Crystal Palace Football Club Transfer Hotline

Notices

Transfer Hotline Latest transfer news, rumours and suggestions for new Palace players. Includes outgoing transfers and news on released players.

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 05:52 PM
Banned by Moderators

FansAbroadLLC FansAbroadLLC FansAbroadLLC FansAbroadLLC FansAbroadLLC FansAbroadLLC FansAbroadLLC FansAbroadLLC FansAbroadLLC FansAbroadLLC FansAbroadLLC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavros 69 View Post
When has any championship striker purchased in Jan ever really saved aprem team from going down?
Never, and they never will. It's all about strengthening the team/squad and making a difference. One player on his own cannot win a football match!
Old 04-01-2014, 05:57 PM

spt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is here
The tall lanky one Blackburn signed about 6 years ago.

Edit: ok 2004 not 6 years ago.

Last edited by spt1978; 04-01-2014 at 06:03 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:59 PM
I DON'T look like SJ

Jim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by spt1978 View Post
The tall lanky one Blackburn signed about 6 years ago.
Jon Stead?
Old 04-01-2014, 06:01 PM

spt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cannon View Post
Jon Stead?
That's the one!

Blackburn Rovers[edit]

In February 2004 he moved to Blackburn Rovers for over 1 million and signed a four-and-a-half-year contract.[1] Stead marked his debut by scoring the only goal in a match against Middlesbrough.[2] He went on to score six goals, including vital winners against Fulham, Manchester United and Everton as Blackburn successfully avoided relegation from the Premiership.

However, the goals for Blackburn dried up the following season and with manager Mark Hughes signing additional forwards including Welsh international Craig Bellamy, Stead was transferred on 13 June 2005 to Sunderland in a deal worth 1.8 million.[3]

Granted he was rubbish after
Old 04-01-2014, 06:02 PM

If Gayle gets more playing time I could see him scoring the goals to keep us up.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:03 PM
Danger Zone

Stavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is here
My point is they rarely work.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
My point is they rarely work.
Yeah I agree, was more aimed at the bee keeper who said they never work.

Dean Ashton come close.

Last edited by spt1978; 04-01-2014 at 06:16 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:10 PM
Oh No!

AJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is here
Garry Thompson for us pre 2k.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:48 PM

ianace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineianace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineianace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineianace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineianace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineianace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineianace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineianace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineianace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineianace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineianace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
If Gayle gets more playing time I could see him scoring the goals to keep us up.
Is the right answer.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:03 PM
Danger Zone

Stavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Yep why get Ings when we have Gayle. He's no better
Old 04-01-2014, 07:25 PM

BW_Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBW_Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBW_Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBW_Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBW_Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBW_Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBW_Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBW_Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBW_Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBW_Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBW_Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Rhino View Post
What you are talking about is one type of gamble versus another. We all know Defoe is a quality striker but that doesn't guarantee anything, Portsmouth actually bought Defoe and Crouch and a whole host of other expensive players and, while yes it did keep them up it also get them in a whole load of financial mess.

I accept that Defoe is likely to score more goals than Ings in the PL, what is less known is the sort of wages he would command and the sort of affect he could have on the morale of the squad. Is he a team player? Not from what I've seen.

The Premier League isn't some mythical place completely different to the rest of football. A lot of the football I've seen recently by clubs around us hasn't been impressive and it's notable that when PL clubs get relegated they seem to struggle down in the Championship, despite all the riches. Gayle isn't a solo striker so has struggled to fit in, he would score goals in the PL with the right team and formation, as imo would Ings and Austin. His goals at Villa and Liverpool were top class.
Indeed. A lot of the bottom 8 or so of the Prem is equivalent to the top 8 of the Champ. If we went down at this moment we wouldn't run away with the league and if Leicester went up at this moment they wouldn't be rooted to the bottom.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:52 PM

scro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is here
We seem to have one guy with a presence that causes problems but simply doesn't have the quality required to finish chances when they fall to him and one player that can finish but possibly doesn't have the kind of presence required to play up ahead of chamakh.

I would think he is likely to look for something between the two. Not sure that's ings in reality it could have been Murray though! Crying shame he isn't likely to play much part.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:55 PM
Banned by Moderators

FansAbroadLLC FansAbroadLLC FansAbroadLLC FansAbroadLLC FansAbroadLLC FansAbroadLLC FansAbroadLLC FansAbroadLLC FansAbroadLLC FansAbroadLLC FansAbroadLLC
Quote:
I'm not seeing that at all. When he comes on, he tends to run around aimlessly and appears way out of his depth against the Premiership defenses.

The goal against Villa was brilliant, but two or three seconds of quality in all the time he was on the field doesn't make him a contender for a starting place. He needs time and a lot of serious coaching before that happens IMO.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:55 PM

scro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianace View Post
Is the right answer.
I think he might but certainly requires work from a coaching perspective. We play the vast majority of even our good performances without the ball so he needs to put a shift in and put it about a bit up front as well. That to my mind is why Jerome is selected. It's certainly not his finishing or chance creating abilities.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:06 AM

BluenRed dances before me like a million eyesBluenRed dances before me like a million eyesBluenRed dances before me like a million eyesBluenRed dances before me like a million eyesBluenRed dances before me like a million eyesBluenRed dances before me like a million eyesBluenRed dances before me like a million eyesBluenRed dances before me like a million eyesBluenRed dances before me like a million eyesBluenRed dances before me like a million eyesBluenRed dances before me like a million eyes
Looked brilliant in the Southampton vs Burnley game. Really lively and fast player, worked his socks off and can obviously finish. Not necessarily a Pulis type signing - whatever that may be - but he would be a strong purchase who would score goals
Old 05-01-2014, 12:11 AM
Time is running out

Billy Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is here
Quote:
Yep why get Ings when we have Gayle. He's no better
Because we need more options and Ings is not the same type of player as Gayle.

I'm fed up of buying "proven experienced strikers" at the end of their career with no sell on value. Memories of players like Macken, Kuqi, Akinbiyi etc. are still there, vividly. We need younger players with the ability to improve.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:39 AM
'or 0=0'

The Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by FansAbroadLLC View Post
I'm not seeing that at all. When he comes on, he tends to run around aimlessly and appears way out of his depth against the Premiership defenses.

The goal against Villa was brilliant, but two or three seconds of quality in all the time he was on the field doesn't make him a contender for a starting place. He needs time and a lot of serious coaching before that happens IMO.
A lot of great players go missing for the majority of games, but you have them on for that moment of magic, that one chance, which you know they will score.

In some ways it is probably a better player for us than Jerome who runs around and does a lot of work only to ruin it all by missing sitters.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:43 AM

KYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Omen View Post
A lot of great players go missing for the majority of games, but you have them on for that moment of magic, that one chance, which you know they will score.

In some ways it is probably a better player for us than Jerome who runs around and does a lot of work only to ruin it all by missing sitters.
Agreed. A lot of older bbser's will remember Jimmy Greaves . Would not work in an iron lung, but scored a shit load of goals for , Chelsea , Spurs . West Ham(at the end of his career) and was leading goal scorer for England for ages. So it's not all about putting in a shift.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:20 AM
Nothing to see here.

Arron Sam the man is hereArron Sam the man is hereArron Sam the man is hereArron Sam the man is hereArron Sam the man is hereArron Sam the man is hereArron Sam the man is hereArron Sam the man is hereArron Sam the man is hereArron Sam the man is hereArron Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by FansAbroadLLC View Post

It would seem that one too many bee stings has finally tipped you over the edge.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:55 AM
Woah Woah Woah

gilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is here
Sounds like Southampton are in for him. If true, he's a lifelong Saints fan so would be surprised to see him end up anywhere else.