Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Other Sport Ľ World of Sport

Notices

World of Sport Discuss all other sport. Includes betting and gambling threads.

Old 14-08-2018, 12:13 PM
Watching from Warmington

Big Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is here
The Future of Sports Broadcasting

La Liga has just signed a deal to be exclusively on Facebook in India, the US Open tennis is now on Amazon Prime - who also have 20 PL games this season with two rounds of fixtures exclusively live in their platform. Amazon also have the ATP Tour from next season, and the US Open tennis from this year. There are also huge deals been done with Discovery for the Olympics (which stay on the BBC over here without so many Red Button streams) and the PGA Tour (although Sky have it at least until 2022. Then there was Eleven Sports with the PGA Champs, La Liga, Serie A. Twitter is going for streaming of NFL games as is YouTube. F1 is also known to be wanting to go more to an on line experience. There are also the in house streams like Palace Player.

Until recently - for us in the UK sports viewing was very simple - the traditional 4 - BBC, ITV, C4 and C5, Sky, Eurosport and BT, all TV based but increasingly using different delivery methods with on demand, on line (Sky Go, iPlayer) and clips offerings (eg BBC Web TMS highlights). You paid the licence and then decided whether to take some sort of bundle for Sky and/or BT. Now, the market is getting fractured, and the social media and on line offerings are coming seriously into play - albeit mostly (at the moment) on the more niche sports and leagues.

I suppose to me this throws up two questions. (and I should say that despite my advancing years I am very IT savvy having worked in the industry all my career). Firstly, just how does the average consumer wanting to watch two or three of say, football, cricket, F1, golf, rugby and tennis keep to a reasonable financial outlay with all these different providers charging for their content?

But secondly - and I know that "youngsters" increasingly watch stuff on tablets, phones etc - what does it say for the hardware side of the TV industry and how people watch? Someone said on the golf thread that they watched the last few holes of the PGA on their laptop, I watched some on FB - not the usual social experience of watching live sport with family & friends on a large screen with a few beers or glasses of wine. Some of the offerings (not Eleven at the moment) do offers apps on interactive TV which are fine - if you have decent BB etc - but that goes back to the multiple providers and multiple fees.

I think that the "traditional" players like ITV, Sky, and to a lesser extent the BBC & BT, are underplaying the value of their more mixed delivery methods - live TV, on demand and live on line/streamed but other than Sky they are clearly struggling to keep pace financially - and ultimately the consumer will end up paying more.

TV will inevitably end up as a web delivered service in the years to come with satellite and aerial delivery fading away - but will we all sit watching in isolation in our bedrooms, offices, on phones or tablets - or will it still be the haunted fishbowl in the corner?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19232019
Old 15-08-2018, 02:42 PM

Lingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I've always wondered why the current terrestrial broadcasters can't club together and form a free to air sports channel, surely there must be enough slots available. When you look at the live sports that the BBC and ITV show and add in all the highlights packages that are shown as well as years of archive material I would have thought that would easily fill one channel 24 hours a day. I appreciate funding might be an issue but there are ways round it. Personally I think in many cases live sport is over rated and I'd rather watch a one hour highlights package. I'd never sit down a watch a Seria A match live but might watch a weekly highlights package.
Old 15-08-2018, 02:53 PM

Gollum came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGollum came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGollum came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGollum came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGollum came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGollum came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGollum came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGollum came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGollum came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGollum came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGollum came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
From recall, La Liga rights in the UK have been bought by 'Eleven' for this season.
Anyone know if this is purely a streaming channel or can they sell on to a Pay TV platform ?
Old 15-08-2018, 03:04 PM
Watching from Warmington

Big Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
From recall, La Liga rights in the UK have been bought by 'Eleven' for this season.
Anyone know if this is purely a streaming channel or can they sell on to a Pay TV platform ?
At the moment they stream only and donít seemingly have an app for smart TVs.

Old 15-08-2018, 03:09 PM

Gollum came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGollum came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGollum came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGollum came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGollum came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGollum came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGollum came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGollum came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGollum came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGollum came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGollum came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue Eagle View Post
At the moment they stream only and donít seemingly have an app for smart TVs.
Ok, thanks for that. So presume you'd have to take out a subscription with them to watch games unless they offer anything free ? I know they have some sort of link with Facebook, perhaps that's their best platform to content.
Old 15-08-2018, 03:15 PM
Watching from Warmington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
Ok, thanks for that. So presume you'd have to take out a subscription with them to watch games unless they offer anything free ? I know they have some sort of link with Facebook, perhaps that's their best platform to content.
From looking at them last week for the golf you can watch via FB or via browser. They were quoting 5.99/month or about £60/year I think. They offered featured group coverage on Thurs/Fri on FB for free but it was really clunky.

Old 15-08-2018, 03:32 PM

Isle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is here
Then you throw in the compatibility issues. I had one just yesterday, where suddenly I couldn't connect. It urned out my HDMI cable wasnt HDRC compliant and it threw everything out of whack.

Member of the Magnificent 16
29th May 2004
Member of the Magnificent 1007
22nd May 2006
Member of the Magnificent 33000
27th May 2013
Member of the Strange Aircraft Clique
16th December 2018