Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Crystal Palace Football Club Ľ General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 08-02-2019, 09:14 AM

super al : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesuper al : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesuper al : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesuper al : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesuper al : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesuper al : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesuper al : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesuper al : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesuper al : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesuper al : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesuper al : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
BT Sport Documentary - The Team of the 80s

Hi all

As some of you may recall, with the kind assistance from many staff, players and supporters, I directed and produced both our Centenary and subsequent History DVDís for the club back in 2005 & 2011 respectively Ė projects I am immensely proud to have been involved with.

Back in 2008 I approached the club with an idea to create a film celebrating our golden generation of youth team players from the 1970ís which were nurtured firstly by Malcolm Allison and his team of coaches and then by Terry Venables, who ultimately gave us a team capable of challenging (albeit briefly) at the very top of the Football league.

Sadly, the club couldnít move forward with the project at the time but over ten years later and with kind support from Steve Parish I approached BT Sport with the idea. Given their brilliant work on creating a raft of quality sporting documentaries I felt the channel would be best placed to support the project and Iím delighted to say they have decided to commission my idea.

This BT Sport Documentary, entitled The Team of the 80s, is now in production and I will be hoping to speak with as many of the main protagonists as possible to dig deep into an era that defined our great club. The story begins with Malcolm Allisonís arrival in 1973 and continues throughout the 1970ís with relegations, cup runs, promotions, a table topping moment and of course the spectacular fall from those dizzying heights. Plus - everything in between!

This is where the good ship BBS can help.

I would love to hear any stories you may have from that era that could help crystallise what was an incredible period for the club. Also, if you have any personal photographs or cine film that can help illustrate the club and or area at that time I would love to be able to include some of that work in the film and would of course keep any items shared/loaned to the production completely safe.

Any and all thoughts welcome.

Cheers
Al Ryan
Old 08-02-2019, 09:15 AM

ForzaPalace Sam the man is hereForzaPalace Sam the man is hereForzaPalace Sam the man is hereForzaPalace Sam the man is hereForzaPalace Sam the man is hereForzaPalace Sam the man is hereForzaPalace Sam the man is hereForzaPalace Sam the man is hereForzaPalace Sam the man is hereForzaPalace Sam the man is hereForzaPalace Sam the man is here
Can’t wait for this. Great work.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:16 AM
100% CPFC.

Malarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is here
Old 08-02-2019, 09:18 AM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
Just a bit too early for me to be of any help, but this sounds great. Good luck with it.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 08-02-2019, 09:22 AM

stumpy feelers Sam the man is herestumpy feelers Sam the man is herestumpy feelers Sam the man is herestumpy feelers Sam the man is herestumpy feelers Sam the man is herestumpy feelers Sam the man is herestumpy feelers Sam the man is herestumpy feelers Sam the man is herestumpy feelers Sam the man is herestumpy feelers Sam the man is herestumpy feelers Sam the man is here
This sounds brilliant, look forward to seeing it! Good luck with it all.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:23 AM
AKA Barrington Linguine

Location: In the pleasure dromes and ersatz bodega bars of the free world
Smoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is here
Looking forward to this, I started going to Selhurst towards the end of 1978/79 season as an eleven year old so this really sounds appealing to me. Good luck with the project.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:31 AM

eltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Brilliant idea.
Would be interesting to see where it brings us up to - as the peak of "The Team of the 80s was September 1979!

Should we start a thread for each of the players for a "where are they now"? - or do u know where each player is?
I know Jerry Murphy is an enigma that no one seems to know where he is.
Plus there is an undercurrent of players who were part of the Youth cup winning team who never made it, Steve Carter, David Fry etc - a bit like those player in "Class of 92" like Ben somebody-or-other..
Old 08-02-2019, 09:36 AM

Hector came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHector came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHector came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHector came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHector came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHector came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHector came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHector came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHector came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHector came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHector came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
My first season at 7 years old was 1978 and was a season ticket holder for the 78/79 season but generally its a little earlier for memories but remember the subsequent falling apart of that team.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:07 AM

kabbott Sam the man is herekabbott Sam the man is herekabbott Sam the man is herekabbott Sam the man is herekabbott Sam the man is herekabbott Sam the man is herekabbott Sam the man is herekabbott Sam the man is herekabbott Sam the man is herekabbott Sam the man is herekabbott Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltron View Post
Brilliant idea.
Would be interesting to see where it brings us up to - as the peak of "The Team of the 80s was September 1979!

Should we start a thread for each of the players for a "where are they now"? - or do u know where each player is?
I know Jerry Murphy is an enigma that no one seems to know where he is.
Plus there is an undercurrent of players who were part of the Youth cup winning team who never made it, Steve Carter, David Fry etc - a bit like those player in "Class of 92" like Ben somebody-or-other..
Pedant alert ... Actually it was Les Carter.
But there was a Stephen Leahy who was a prolific goalscorer in the youth team and reserve team.
And there was Steve Brennan (RIP) who captained Palace in both Youth Cup finals IIRC!
Old 08-02-2019, 10:29 AM
Zuffenhausen

917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here
Fantastic stuff. Would be wonderful to see that period represented properly. Cup wins and Sunderland and Leeds, Wrexham, Burnley, and beating Br*ghton to the title, Jimbos wondergoal to take us top etc

Great memories
Old 08-02-2019, 10:46 AM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
This was where I came in - I started being taken to Selhurst Park, after epic nagging of my Dad who was never a football fan, bless him, just before big Mal was brought in, when I was eight in 1973, and invested all my football dreams in that period. It was a huge thing for kids my age to watch the Youth Cup runs and the team that was promoted through Div II with kids like Sansom, Hilaire and Gilbert - and all the rest - who were only four or five years older than us, the idea of a way of playing that they showed us. And it was a terrible shock when it all fell apart. Most of my memories are hazy impressions from childhood - I would have thought a key person to talk to in all this must be Hy Money.

There is some great archive footage about, I'm sure - it was also a hilarious time.... I think I remember Sally James wearing Palace kit on Tiswas, maybe when we played the semi final of the Cup - and there was Captain Sensible and the Damned in Palace scarves, Roger de Courcey and Nookie and all that stuff.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:49 AM
Celestial Empire

Celestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is here
Given the way that that embryo team was taken apart, it will be interesting to see if the film is a "publish and be damned" true account, or will contain a plethora of 'air-brushing'.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:51 AM

Louis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by super al View Post
I will be hoping to speak with as many of the main protagonists as possible to dig deep into an era that defined our great club
Looking forward to this, congratulations for your initiative.

It has to include Terry Venables. And some of the star young players that gave the team the label 'The Team of Eighties'. EG. Gilbert, Nicholas, Sansom, Hilaire, Murphy. John Cartright, coach of the FA Youth Cup winning side.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:57 AM

N Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is here
The one oft forgotten as he never played for the first team is Chris Sparkes the last I knew he was a Cabbie but that was a number of years ago.
Old 08-02-2019, 11:19 AM

Archiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Burridge, Hinshelwood, Cannon, Gilbert, Sansom, Hilaire, Kember, Nicholas, Murphy, Swindlehurst, Walsh. Sub: Fenwick.

11 from the Youth team.
Old 08-02-2019, 11:23 AM
SC's wet dream

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Great days. Fab kit, amazing football and players and Palace going top against Ipswich on my birthday.

The BBS - Where Brighton Neggers have imaginary lawyers.
Old 08-02-2019, 11:57 AM

kabbott Sam the man is herekabbott Sam the man is herekabbott Sam the man is herekabbott Sam the man is herekabbott Sam the man is herekabbott Sam the man is herekabbott Sam the man is herekabbott Sam the man is herekabbott Sam the man is herekabbott Sam the man is herekabbott Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle View Post
Great days. Fab kit, amazing football and players and Palace going top against Ipswich on my birthday.
Oh yes, and that Jim Cannon goal! Dave Swindlehurst scored another good goal too which was immortalised on the front page of the Palace programme for many a game!
Old 08-02-2019, 11:58 AM

orp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle View Post
4-1 and Jimbo scoring at the holmsdale end iircc. That said think it was white horse lane end now!. Great day
Trying to picture Jimbo’s goal and now think holmesdale end

Last edited by orp pisshead1; 08-02-2019 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-02-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orp pisshead1 View Post
4-1 and Jimbo scoring at the holmsdale end iircc. That said think it was white horse lane end now!. Great day
Trying to picture Jimboís goal and now think holmesdale end
I would have said Whitehorse. I'm pretty sure Ipswich had a corner at the Holmesdale end. Brutal counter-attack and I have an image of seeing Jimbo's back pegging it away down the middle to get on to the end of the cross.
I may be wrong though. Memory playing up, old age setting in ...
Old 08-02-2019, 12:14 PM

Coastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabbott View Post
I would have said Whitehorse. I'm pretty sure Ipswich had a corner at the Holmesdale end. Brutal counter-attack and I have an image of seeing Jimbo's back pegging it away down the middle to get on to the end of the cross.
I may be wrong though. Memory playing up, old age setting in ...
One of the best goals scored at Selhurst iirc. And for one glorious week we were top of the hill.

Funnily enough, I dug the centenary dvd out the other night and watched both discs again for the umpteenth time.
Really looking forward to this 'team of the 80's' one. Might skip the part where it all goes horribly wrong though. It was bad enough living through it.