Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 17-09-2019, 03:29 PM
100% CPFC.

Malarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is here
Old 17-09-2019, 04:35 PM
It's a term of affection

Fatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is here
We'd all struggle to play on the left side of the centre back pairing with that big gap to the left where the Left back should be.
Old 17-09-2019, 04:38 PM

Lprkorngod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLprkorngod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLprkorngod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLprkorngod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLprkorngod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLprkorngod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLprkorngod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLprkorngod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLprkorngod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLprkorngod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLprkorngod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Has become a bit of a pre-match ritual of mine to tweet Coral for odds on a Cruyff Turn in the box within the first 10mins of the game.
Old 17-09-2019, 04:39 PM

Selhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolinkins View Post
He is our best ever centre back.
Someone has forgotten all about Claude Davis.
Old 17-09-2019, 04:39 PM
I'm not divorced

Golf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by dufski13 View Post
I know a lot of neutral fans (whatever that means, I would say fans of other teams) who think & say exactly the same about Zaha. Without whom I am absolutely certain we would have gone down in each of the last 6 seasons.
Without Sakho in that first season when he came in on loan we would also have gone down. He has been on a long lay off & must be allowed to play himself into form & match fitness. When he is in form & fit he is one of the first names on the team sheet, along with Luka, Wilfred & Guaita imo.
Nobody outside of Palace think Zaha is worth 80 million. Nobody. Yet we all do.
Old 17-09-2019, 04:44 PM

Hal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by 917L View Post
Mel Blyth, king of the backpass, are you mad?
You were still in short trousers when he was in his prime so shut it, sonny
Old 17-09-2019, 04:46 PM
Life’s too short for shit

Worksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolinkins View Post
He is our best ever centre back.
Depends on what criteria

For example, for VFM and games played, he ain’t
Old 17-09-2019, 04:46 PM
Life’s too short for shit

Worksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf Boy View Post
Nobody outside of Palace think Zaha is worth 80 million. Nobody. Yet we all do.
I don’t
Old 17-09-2019, 04:50 PM

Oli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worksop Palace View Post
I don’t
Definitely not
Old 17-09-2019, 04:50 PM

Jughead came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJughead came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJughead came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJughead came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJughead came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJughead came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJughead came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJughead came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJughead came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJughead came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJughead came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Generally at least once a match he makes an error so obvious so outstandingly bad that you can only gasp.
I don't think it's that often.
I also think Tomkins is more error prone than him
Mama is brilliant and is our 2nd best player quality wise.
Old 17-09-2019, 04:55 PM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
I dunno. Watching him is beautiful. And I think the "mistakes" are because he gets in the places where mistakes are made, and takes risks. I'm not saying it beats watching Mickey Droy and Jim Cannon together but it's a joy to behold.
Old 17-09-2019, 04:58 PM

Sick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw16girl View Post
And this is the sort of reply that I would have laid money I would have received. I know a lot of neutrals who cannot understand why we paid the money we did for him and why we think he is so good based on the evidence of how he is playing for us. Yet this is the kind of response Palace fans give. I do not understand it.

I take El Aguila's point and then have to say but is that worth the inevitable errors and given away goals. Proportionally last season we were more likely to win when he wasn't playing for us. Only a bit but it really made no real difference to our overall results so is he that good - I don't really think so but I do think he is good.

Take the point on David Luiz but I think that he is definitely overrated as well - he is not the answer to Arsenal's defensive problems as was clear against Watford.

Anyway I was just musing - I think I prefer my defenders to be able to defend first and foremost - which is a bit of an old fashioned view I suspect.
I agree with all of that, I like him but he does my head in, he'll do a 360 then back heal it to the keeper in the 6 yard box when pretty much everyone would rather he just hoofed it into touch occasionally.

TBH though we've got 4 very decent but different CB's with him, Tomkins, Kelly and Cahill, I'm just not sure who our best 2 are right now, someone needs to form a good partnership, it will be interesting to see which combinations work the best.

Last edited by Sick Bucket; 17-09-2019 at 05:02 PM.
Old 17-09-2019, 05:07 PM
Crow Counting

FourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw16girl View Post
It isn't just the spurs match but that highlighted something that I have noticed. Generally at least once a match he makes an error so obvious so outstandingly bad that you can only gasp. The rest of the time he is pretty good. however although he gets away with the error a lot of the time - the gift to the opposition forward is blasted over or someone else slides in with a last minute tackle there are significant numbers of occasions where he does not and the other side get an easy goal.

It is why he does not play for a top six team and also why, despite the tendency of people on here to think he is wonderful, he is still with us and there have been precious few rumours that he is going anywhere else.

I'm not saying he is rubbish I am just saying I don't think he is the savior a lot of people seem to think.
An ex-colleague of mine said exactly the same thing when we signed him originally on loan - you can guarantee one glaring error per match from him. Not necessarily a mistake as such, but just as likely to be an error of judgement in an awful position.

I'm not sure I agree with the bit about him costing us easy goals, as I think we have been lucky so far in that none of them have really cost us too badly (although I stand to be corrected). I remember one match where he backheeled the ball across the six yard box, but fortunately it eluded the attackers, and I am sure there have been several other instances if you were to go back through it.

I always breath a slight sigh of relief when it happens and they don't score, as hopefully he is "one and done" in terms of errors And in terms of him for us, I think he has qualities that no-one else in the defence has (potentially even the team) and am happy we've got him - I don't think we could improve on him - and it is only those "lapses" that mean he's with us in the first place.

My question about him is whether he's worth the money we paid (and are paying him) given his age, likely resale value and the amount of injuries he tends to pick up. But, when fit, he'd be one of the first couple of names on the teamsheet for me.

Last edited by FourtyTwo; 17-09-2019 at 05:11 PM.
Old 17-09-2019, 05:15 PM

Joe.L came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoe.L came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoe.L came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoe.L came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoe.L came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoe.L came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoe.L came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoe.L came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoe.L came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoe.L came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoe.L came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead View Post
I don't think it's that often.
I also think Tomkins is more error prone than him
Mama is brilliant and is our 2nd best player quality wise.
And quite likely also our 2nd most creative player
Old 17-09-2019, 05:28 PM

Expat Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietExpat Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietExpat Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietExpat Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietExpat Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietExpat Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietExpat Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietExpat Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietExpat Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietExpat Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietExpat Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Craig Moore was a fantastic centre back, but I rate Mamadou as his equal. And Sakho's partnership with Tomkins is unsurpassed (even by Mel Blyth and John McCormick, in my humble opinion)...
Old 17-09-2019, 05:30 PM
Yehmon, oo...

joe walker : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejoe walker : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejoe walker : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejoe walker : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejoe walker : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejoe walker : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejoe walker : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejoe walker : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejoe walker : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejoe walker : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejoe walker : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
He's not perfect in possession (the Sakho, Pva & Luka triangles at Selhurst will finish us all off with heart attacks), but you can see he has been coached to play it out from the back and be confident in possession.

He may not have the required standard to do this for a top club but when he arrived and didn't hoof it back where it came from - chesting it down, looking around, taking a risk, keeping it on the ground - it revolutionised us overnight, even if he doesn't look convincing doing it. I can't think of many CBs we've had that would've set up the Zaha goal v Chelsea like he did, or even the Loftus-Cheek goal against Leicester where he went on a little trot and made a defence-splitting pass.

I absolutely adore him, warts and all. I just wished he was fit more.
I imagine he will leave on a free and we'll just have to wonder What If.

Last edited by joe walker; 17-09-2019 at 05:38 PM.
Old 17-09-2019, 05:40 PM
I DON'T look like SJ

Jim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGonzo View Post
If he didn't have that 1 mistake a game in him he would still be playing for a top 6 team.

The question for me is how many times does his error cost us? How many times have we conceded from it, or had a player sent off trying to recover etc. Because for the rest of the time he is probably the best defender we have ever had and I think we concede less with him playing.

If that balance changes however.......
Had a player sent off? We hardly ever get red cards!
Old 17-09-2019, 05:42 PM
I DON'T look like SJ

Jim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expat Eagle View Post
Craig Moore was a fantastic centre back, but I rate Mamadou as his equal. And Sakho's partnership with Tomkins is unsurpassed (even by Mel Blyth and John McCormick, in my humble opinion)...
Never get all the love for Moore. He wasnt here long, and only played in the Champ. Good player yes, but as he never played top flight for us or even 50 games for us, he is not in the equation
Old 17-09-2019, 05:58 PM
O Captain! My Captain!

Pub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expat Eagle View Post
Andy Thorn and Eric Young have to be up there. In my time it would be Thorn and Sakho as top 2 CB's.
Old 17-09-2019, 06:20 PM
Danger Zone

Stavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is here
Dann’s overall play and goals contributed more from our early seasons.
Classic Nav and his chip