Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Other Sport » World of Sport

Notices

World of Sport Discuss all other sport. Includes betting and gambling threads.

Old 21-10-2019, 09:02 AM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
County Cricket 2020

The annual thread for all things County Cricket for the upcoming season, including perennial topics such as good natured Kent/Surrey banter & fury over the shambolic County Championship schedule.

Also a place to spew bile regarding the upcoming Hundred

Go well, everyone....
Old 21-10-2019, 01:32 PM

loz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietloz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietloz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietloz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietloz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietloz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietloz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietloz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietloz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietloz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietloz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I love my Cricket ( more than football) Test and county cricket even 50 over. I dont watch T20 as not a fan....but never have I wanted something to fail as much as this silly 100 thing..is it just a thing to make players and agents rich ? I mean who is going to watch it, whats it all about ?
Old 21-10-2019, 01:47 PM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by loz View Post
I love my Cricket ( more than football) Test and county cricket even 50 over. I dont watch T20 as not a fan....but never have I wanted something to fail as much as this silly 100 thing..is it just a thing to make players and agents rich ? I mean who is going to watch it, whats it all about ?
More people watch T20 than 1 day or county games. The same will be the case for The Hundred. They will hope to get packed out grounds with matches starting and finishing at not too dissimilar times to evening football games. I suspect it will work in terms of being a crowd pleaser and bring money into the game. However where will that money go? With T20 you know that the revenue made can be invested by your county but with this format if you can make a profitable franchise who gets the money?

Have traditionally followed Surrey so do i automatically follow the Oval side or do i go with the team who will play a couple of miles from me at the ground i can see out of my window?

Plus it is good to get more live cricket back on free to air TV.
Old 21-10-2019, 01:56 PM

Norwich_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNorwich_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNorwich_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNorwich_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNorwich_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNorwich_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNorwich_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNorwich_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNorwich_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNorwich_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNorwich_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Pros: exposure to more players in more high pressured situations, cricket back on terrestrial television, more big pressure exposure to the women's game and brings in a new generation of fans to get involved in the sport.
Cons: it will slowly cause the death of 50-Over and County/Test cricket

The reason why limited over and county championship cricket has died is because the fan base cannot afford to and do not have the time to watch it. To follow your county home and away never missing a day you need the best part of 2 and a half months of spare time and funds.

Here's Andy Johnson He's More Than Capable... Of Scoring
And He Very Nearly Did.....
And Neil Shipperley has!!!
Old 21-10-2019, 01:59 PM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGonzo View Post
More people watch T20 than 1 day or county games. The same will be the case for The Hundred. They will hope to get packed out grounds with matches starting and finishing at not too dissimilar times to evening football games. I suspect it will work in terms of being a crowd pleaser and bring money into the game. However where will that money go? With T20 you know that the revenue made can be invested by your county but with this format if you can make a profitable franchise who gets the money?

Have traditionally followed Surrey so do i automatically follow the Oval side or do i go with the team who will play a couple of miles from me at the ground i can see out of my window?

Plus it is good to get more live cricket back on free to air TV.
Or do you follow Ollie Pope's Southern Brave, Ben Foakes's Northern Superchargers, Liam Plunkett's Welsh Fire or Jade Dernbach's London Spirit?
Old 21-10-2019, 02:15 PM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwich_Eagle View Post
Pros: exposure to more players in more high pressured situations, cricket back on terrestrial television, more big pressure exposure to the women's game and brings in a new generation of fans to get involved in the sport.

The reason why limited over and county championship cricket has died is because the fan base cannot afford to and do not have the time to watch it. To follow your county home and away never missing a day you need the best part of 2 and a half months of spare time and funds.
County cricket is not a spectator sport for the majority. Ye sif you are retired and then there is the corporate aspect but for the working man (women are also available) it is not a spectator sport. Same to a large extent for 1 day games at county level.

For cricket to stay relevant, especially to the new generations things like T20 and The Hundred are important.

The question is how they can take the sport which will become dominated by hitting the boundary or being out, and ensure we still can produce players who have the patience and ability to bat a whole day knowing where their off stump is.
Old 21-10-2019, 02:27 PM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
The Hundred is all about making lots of money for those grounds lucky enough to be chosen by the ECB. And the money won't come primarily from admission charges it'll come from the sale of alcohol. (Surrey fill their coffers from the sale of alcohol at T20 and didn't support the introduction of the 100 because a) they don't need the money and b) they know the damage it will do to the future development of cricketers.)
Old 21-10-2019, 02:33 PM
Born in South London

Pinkie Brown Sam the man is herePinkie Brown Sam the man is herePinkie Brown Sam the man is herePinkie Brown Sam the man is herePinkie Brown Sam the man is herePinkie Brown Sam the man is herePinkie Brown Sam the man is herePinkie Brown Sam the man is herePinkie Brown Sam the man is herePinkie Brown Sam the man is herePinkie Brown Sam the man is here
How does the 100 actually work, 10 x 10 ball overs?
How long do they think the game will take, have they had test events?
Old 21-10-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkie Brown View Post
How does the 100 actually work, 10 x 10 ball overs?
How long do they think the game will take, have they had test events?
Yes & No

To view the link you have to Register or Login)

Last edited by Olympian2; 21-10-2019 at 02:40 PM.
Old 21-10-2019, 02:44 PM
Casual user

Catford Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCatford Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCatford Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCatford Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCatford Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCatford Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCatford Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCatford Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCatford Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCatford Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCatford Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkie Brown View Post
How long do they think the game will take,
About 20 minutes is the aim, lest everyone loses focus and starts a Mexican wave.
Old 21-10-2019, 02:47 PM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catford Eagle View Post
About 20 minutes is the aim, lest everyone loses focus and starts a Mexican wave.
Old 21-10-2019, 02:49 PM

aj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is here
Currently T20 games should be completed in 2 hours 30 (i.e. 1 hour 15 of playing time each innings) I believe. This however, is rarely enforced and also doesnt allow for mid innings break. I would presume that the 100 would be aiming for 1 hour innings.

Like all things with cricket the issue, particularly in England too, is what happens when the rain hits. A 7pm game that should finish at 9.15pm ends up being pushed back until 9.45pm 2 over whack due to rain?

Good that it is on free to air TV and it may work, not sure myself though.
Old 21-10-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catford Eagle View Post

Or until it's time for the ladies to go home & do the ironing/cook the dinner*

*This is obviously a joke & a reference to the necessary 'simplifying' of the game to attract the lesser-spotted female-cricket-spectator
Old 21-10-2019, 02:52 PM

Maiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGonzo View Post
County cricket is not a spectator sport for the majority. Ye sif you are retired and then there is the corporate aspect but for the working man (women are also available) it is not a spectator sport. Same to a large extent for 1 day games at county level.

For cricket to stay relevant, especially to the new generations things like T20 and The Hundred are important.

The question is how they can take the sport which will become dominated by hitting the boundary or being out, and ensure we still can produce players who have the patience and ability to bat a whole day knowing where their off stump is.
There is nothing relevant about The 100.

A glorified beer match, sponsored by er, Beer snacks
Old 21-10-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskin Old Boy View Post
The Hundred is all about making lots of money for those grounds lucky enough to be chosen by the ECB. And the money won't come primarily from admission charges it'll come from the sale of alcohol. (Surrey fill their coffers from the sale of alcohol at T20 and didn't support the introduction of the 100 because a) they don't need the money and b) they know the damage it will do to the future development of cricketers.)
According to wiki, Surrey voted for and it was Essex, Middlesex and Kent who voted against. Also says each county guaranteed to receive £1.3m.

I share the concern about developing test players though.
Old 21-10-2019, 03:19 PM
Golden Oldie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympian2 View Post

Or until it's time for the ladies to go home & do the ironing/cook the dinner*

*This is obviously a joke & a reference to the necessary 'simplifying' of the game to attract the lesser-spotted female-cricket-spectator
Nearly .... Strauss on the 100: it will be aimed "at mums and kids during the summer holidays"

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 21-10-2019, 09:31 PM
Keeping The Faith

gold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwich_Eagle View Post

Not sure on the cons yet..

2 of the greatest one day and test matches this country has ever seen happened within about 6 weeks of each other this summer.

The sparse attendance at county 4 day games is granted though
Old 21-10-2019, 09:34 PM
Keeping The Faith

gold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is here
Being a fair weather Sussex fan, I'm hoping for a promotion push..

The 100 can get ****ed though, nowt in it for me
Old 22-10-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold76 View Post
Not sure on the cons yet..

2 of the greatest one day and test matches this country has ever seen happened within about 6 weeks of each other this summer.

The sparse attendance at county 4 day games is granted though
And as I have previously bleated, the Oval saw just two days of weekend, domestic red ball cricket last season.
Old 24-10-2019, 08:49 AM

ANDYEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietANDYEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietANDYEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietANDYEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietANDYEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietANDYEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietANDYEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietANDYEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietANDYEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietANDYEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietANDYEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
To view the link you have to Register or Login