Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 12-11-2019, 11:36 PM

jackstacks came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjackstacks came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjackstacks came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjackstacks came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjackstacks came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjackstacks came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjackstacks came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjackstacks came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjackstacks came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjackstacks came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjackstacks came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Sansom was the finished product a while before he left us. Such an excellent player.

Wright was simply electrifying and spread total fear in the opposition. Privilege to see him play.

Wilf has been the stand out star for years. Feel sorry for him personally that Ferguson stepped down when he did as, very sadly, I think he would have gone on to far better things had he stayed bc at a top club with a good manager.

For sheer entertainment value, it has to be Ian Wright for me. We knew he was a superstar a long time before he left us.
"Crystal Palace were magnificent last weekend as they crashed Steven Gerrard’s party, changed the music without asking, took the most expensive beer from the fridge, and plonked themselves down on the most comfortable chair with their boots up on the coffee table." (May 2015)
Old 12-11-2019, 11:57 PM
Time is running out

Billy Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is here
Julian Speroni
Old 13-11-2019, 12:30 AM
N14 and not so proud...

SOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is here
Ian Wright. With him we were a top three team. Without him we were relegated within eighteen months. Lombardo is the greatest pure technician I've ever seen at Palace, with Jansen getting close in some respects. ( There was a lost talent ) I would have put Zaha in a special category of being our greatest club 'hero' in terms of extended dedication / passion plus a high ( if not Wright-level ) water mark of achievement. But not after the summer shenanigans and subsequent sulk. That honour belongs to Markie Bright now, IMHO.
Old 13-11-2019, 12:36 AM
Got any nuts?

Wolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is here
At various stages in his career Wright was as good a finisher as anybody in the league.

The NHS has been run into the ground for 10 years. Conservative voters ... own your shit.
Old 13-11-2019, 01:24 AM
Veteran

JJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I would think it has to be someone you've seen playing live, so as I only started going to the games in 1980, unfortunately I narrowly missed seeing Kenny Sansom play for Palace, otherwise I'm sure he'd have been right up there.

The best outfield player I've seen was unquestionably (imho) Ian Wright. We all know his arrival was the catalyst in the team that kick started Palace after that bloody awful first few years of the 80s; every time he got the ball I expected him to do something good, and he often did. I know a larger chunk of his time with us was in the second division, but I think that's just circumstantial really, as he was equally as good in the first division against better defenders. I've still never been more gutted when a player left us - it's one of those "I remember where I was when I heard" things (it was actually when I bought the Evening Standard at Bank tube station, and saw the headline "Graham swoops") - and the fact he showed how good he was in a top team after leaving, as did Kenny actually, is a measure of how good a player we lost.

I loved seeing Attilio Lombardo, it was a privilege to watch him, and hard to believe a player of such international class and standing ever played for us - even Ron Noades couldn't believe it either from memory. If football was chess, he was about 4 moves ahead of his team mates most of the time, and if he'd played for us for 3 or 4 years at the same level of consistency he'd be pushing IW for top spot.

I don't think there can be too much doubt that Wilf is the best outfield player of the last 20 years, and I can understand why younger fans therefore think he's the GOAT. He's exciting, hugely strong on the ball physically, and capable of magnificent trickery. But there's not always an end product, which perhaps might be down to his team mates as much as to him, and every time he sits on his bum with his arms outstretched and a wide-eyed look of incredulity on his face at not getting a free kick, a little part of me thinks FFS just get up and get on with it. Maybe that's just because I'm an old fart.

But yeah, Wrighty for me.
Old 13-11-2019, 01:45 AM
Chubby Chops balls drop

redandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cannon View Post
Can't believe Trevor Aylott has been overlooked
And his son
"And then when it was all over, a thousand Palace fans stayed on to applaud their side's warm-down and the strains of Glad All Over crashed out across Selhurst. Daft little tune .......brave little team"

Sunday Mail 7/11/2004 after 1-1 with Arsenal
Old 13-11-2019, 01:48 AM
Chubby Chops balls drop

redandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is here
Lombardo is the Palace player I have seen in a palace shirt
Wright is probably the best player for Palace

IMHO Will does not come close to the above whilst his skills and commitment are amazing his crossing, finishing and decision making are not.
"And then when it was all over, a thousand Palace fans stayed on to applaud their side's warm-down and the strains of Glad All Over crashed out across Selhurst. Daft little tune .......brave little team"

Sunday Mail 7/11/2004 after 1-1 with Arsenal
Old 13-11-2019, 04:55 AM

tony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I remember Johnny Byrne so I go for him as a young player. Two other players not mentioned for the difference they made for Palace were Cliff Holton who did so much for Palace in the middle 1960s and l think Duggie Freedman was very skilful.
Old 13-11-2019, 05:27 AM
Happy Felix Day!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroom View Post
Lombardo always looked like he was on a totally different level.
Yes. In a way no other Palace player that I have watched has, or probably ever will. We had a player getting into the Italian national side playing for Palace when Italy were really rather good at football.

But we have to consider that he was also in the same team as Bruce Dyer and Carl Veart. That squad only had four actual players who could play football. Lombardo, Jansen, Warhurst and Curcic. and I don’t even remember that Jansen and Curcic made ten starts between them.
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 13-11-2019, 05:28 AM
Happy Felix Day!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony 1947 View Post
I remember Johnny Byrne so I go for him as a young player. Two other players not mentioned for the difference they made for Palace were Cliff Holton who did so much for Palace in the middle 1960s and l think Duggie Freedman was very skilful.
My gran used to tell me about Cliff Holton.
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 13-11-2019, 05:31 AM
All views stated are IMHO

glaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is here
still Zaha.
Old 13-11-2019, 06:40 AM

AddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is here
Ian Wright , 33 goals in the 88/89 season and 117 overall , made plenty of goals for Brighty as well , the guy was just magical .
Old 13-11-2019, 06:53 AM
Just call me sarge!!

Ardent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is here
Best International player for palace. Attilio Lombardo by a country mile.

Best British player, Kenny Sansom. Shame about his gambling problems.
Don't shoot the messenger, but someone tried telling me in the pub last week that we're close to administration again. I wouldn't have it, but he reckoned he had a 'source' and insisted it was true. I don't believe a word of it, but just hearing the 'a' word is enough to send a shiver down my spine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPFC2010
Ha ha, complete and utter bollocks.
Old 13-11-2019, 07:22 AM

old geezer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold geezer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold geezer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold geezer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold geezer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold geezer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold geezer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold geezer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold geezer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold geezer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold geezer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Best players I have seen in no particular order
Byrne
Sansom
Cannon
Wright
Zaha
Salako might have made it if his career had not been destroyed by injury
Rogers
Jansen
Lombardo
Old 13-11-2019, 07:38 AM

aashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by in-exile View Post
With the Wilf/Wright/Lombardo best all-time player debate being discussed as part of the Zaha threads...
Who was your best from these three or somebody else as our Greatest ever?
Could Don Rogers still have danced passed modern defenders as he did back in the day and just how amazing would Wilf have been against the typical defenders of yesteryear?

No poll ....
Wright 100%
Old 13-11-2019, 07:40 AM
Thinking

Bintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Of the 3 choices, I go for Wright

But my favourite will always be Don Rogers
Old 13-11-2019, 07:59 AM

mylona came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmylona came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmylona came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmylona came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmylona came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmylona came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmylona came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmylona came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmylona came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmylona came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmylona came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by old geezer View Post
Best players I have seen in no particular order
Byrne
Sansom
Cannon
Wright
Zaha
Salako might have made it if his career had not been destroyed by injury
Rogers
Jansen
Lombardo
Have you forgotten Peter Taylor.
Old 13-11-2019, 09:00 AM

Joe.L came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoe.L came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoe.L came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoe.L came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoe.L came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoe.L came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoe.L came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoe.L came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoe.L came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoe.L came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoe.L came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Zaha easily the most talented and skillful, Lombardo the most classy but only over a short period, Judas Wright the most effective who got the absolute maximum from his ability.
Old 13-11-2019, 10:44 AM

old traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwissAtMemphis View Post
Sansom definitely looked in a different class to the opposition but then he only played one season in the top flight for us. Even in his teens, he looked a class above everyone else but it was playing against 3rd and 2nd Division opposition.

I was living abroad so I never saw Lombardo but I've heard more than one person whose opinion I respect saying that he was the best they ever saw playing for Palace. For a short but glorious window, I think Ian Wright was possibly the best I saw playing for us; the tragedy is that he probably went on to play even better for bloody Arsenal. Wilf goes close; in fact for one-man impact on the team he has arguably been the best. There's definitely a reasonable case to say that he has almost single-handedly kept us up a couple of seasons.

Peter Taylor at his best maybe but that was for a short, dazzling spell, mostly in Division 3. Geoff Thomas and Andy Gray in tandem, at their best, has never been bettered as a partnership in that position but again, for all too fleeting a moment. Impossible to compare but Nigel Martyn was capable of saves that almost defied belief. I could go on. All-in-all, it's almost impossible to say isn't it?
Yeah, I agree, how can you compare Zaha with Wright, completely different type of player, or even Jackson and Martyn, both goalies, but generations apart.
Old 13-11-2019, 11:02 AM

old traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony 1947 View Post
Great minds think alike, I remember all of those, I had a special liking of Cliff Holton for some reason, even though he was not as skilful as Johnny Byrne, who I just edge above all others mentioned, although I don't think its fair to compare really, how can you compare a great forward to a great full back
But J. B. was something else, a fourth division player playing for England. unheard of, then and till now.