Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 15-11-2019, 08:43 AM
Gilzean

Gilzean : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGilzean : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGilzean : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGilzean : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGilzean : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGilzean : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGilzean : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGilzean : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGilzean : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGilzean : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGilzean : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Neil Ashton Column

To view the link you have to Register or Login

In Neil Ashtons (Sun Newspaper) column about Mark Bright book.

Neil says Mark Bright would not remember this and neither do I. I can remember watching the games from the Arthur Waite stand during that period and I cannot recall any racist shouting from the Palace supporters towards any black footballers.

Is just me that has got this wrong. Appreciate any feedback.
Old 15-11-2019, 08:52 AM

Baffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is here
I don't remember that. I do remember an away game at Portsmouth in 1985 when there was a small knot of Palace fans spewing so much racism that I wondered when I left the ground if I'd ever watch another away game.

So this could be true.
Old 15-11-2019, 08:58 AM
Veteran

JJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I was in the AW enclosure from early 80s until the new Holmesdale opened, and I never once heard that, thankfully.

Last edited by JJ; 15-11-2019 at 11:01 AM. Reason: typo
Old 15-11-2019, 09:01 AM

Archiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Is this the same journalist who recently made up other rubbish to create a story?
Old 15-11-2019, 09:01 AM

FMH57 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFMH57 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFMH57 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFMH57 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFMH57 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFMH57 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFMH57 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFMH57 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFMH57 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFMH57 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFMH57 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Unfortunately, particularly in the fact that he is a Palace fan and is excellent at hosting Sunday Supplement, Ashton's journalistic abilities seem to be deteriorating rapidly. Well, ever since he joined the rag that is the Sun. That is a particularly badly written article in comparison to many written in the media about Bright and his new book over the past week or so.
Old 15-11-2019, 09:22 AM

Panther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Never heard that and I went to most games during that period. Load of old bollo, as Ian Dury might say.
Old 15-11-2019, 09:27 AM
moving forward

art malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is here
With that voice, he should write in really small letters
Old 15-11-2019, 09:29 AM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
Old 15-11-2019, 09:43 AM
Gilzean

Gilzean : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGilzean : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGilzean : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGilzean : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGilzean : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGilzean : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGilzean : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGilzean : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGilzean : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGilzean : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGilzean : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Neil Ashton

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I am very annoyed with Neil Ashton with his column has this has tarnished Crystal Palace supporters reputation. I really cannot understand if he is a Palace supporters why he is written this rubbish.
Old 15-11-2019, 10:01 AM
A Fish without a Bike

sw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is here
Ashton does talk about a tiny knot of Palace fans chanting - and that does not sound unlikely. I've heard racist comments not that long ago so can believe a small no of chants in the 1980's. We have moved a long wy from then.

A Trust is for life not just for Crisis
Old 15-11-2019, 10:13 AM

Yoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is here
I suppose this is ‘whataboutery’ on my part, but part of the appeal of coming to Palace back in the 80s was how much better the attitude towards black players and fans was than other grounds I’d been to.

I never heard the chant Ashton mentioned, but I wasn’t often in the Arthur. I don’t think it’s unbelievable that there’d be a few inappropriate comments back then, but they’d certainly be a minority.

But by focusing on this we’ll now have Ashton’s readers drawing conclusions about Palace fans being racist, because most people remember a headline rather than the substance of a story.

When I think back to the mass singing of racist songs I heard by clubs such as Millwall and Chelsea, it feels unreasonable for Palace to be so drawn into the same bracket by the media. Ian Wright has also recently chosen to focus on his issues at Palace rather than the opportunities and support he was given at Palace. I guess that gives him more media coverage.

I’m not saying Palace are perfect, or were perfect. It’s a matter of unbalanced reporting.
Old 15-11-2019, 10:17 AM
Life’s too short for shit

Worksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is here
I’d be absolutely staggered if in every single ground in the country, every week, you didn’t hear some form of racist chanting in the 80’s
Old 15-11-2019, 10:18 AM

WIZARD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWIZARD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWIZARD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWIZARD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWIZARD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWIZARD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWIZARD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWIZARD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWIZARD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWIZARD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWIZARD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Watched a programme hosted by Wrighty last night about the abuse black football players have received through the ages - Paul Canoville was on it talking about his Chelsea debut at Selhurst at first thinking the Palace fans were racially abusing him, then it dawned on him it was his own fans!

from Wiki

"He made his debut against Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park on 12 April 1982, coming on as a late substitute for Clive Walker, who had scored the only goal of the game.[13]

As I'm stretching and running, I hear loud individual voices through the noise: 'Sit down you black c**t!, 'You f**ing *** – f**k off!' Over and over again. Lots of different people. I hardly dared look around. They were right behind me. I snatched a glimpse. They were all wearing blue shirts and scarves – Chelsea fans, my side's fans, faces screwed with pure hatred and anger, all directed at me... I felt physically sick. I was absolutely terrified.

— Canoville faced abuse from his own fans for the colour of his skin"
Old 15-11-2019, 10:24 AM
Sans Peur

RDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is here
It's not implausible.

I witnessed racism from a few individual Palace 'fans' at Everton about 15 years ago and then again about 5 years ago in the Main Stand. I'm sure that in the 80s it was worse.

Palace can be proud of its role in changing attitudes towards black players in England but there will always be a dickhead minority who don't share that view.
Old 15-11-2019, 10:30 AM

orp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilzean View Post
To view the link you have to Register or Login

In Neil Ashtons (Sun Newspaper) column about Mark Bright book.

Neil says Mark Bright would not remember this and neither do I. I can remember watching the games from the Arthur Waite stand during that period and I cannot recall any racist shouting from the Palace supporters towards any black footballers.

Is just me that has got this wrong. Appreciate any feedback.
That’s bollox , we were in the AW then and while it could’ve come from the away support in the seats it did not come from us !
Old 15-11-2019, 10:32 AM

orp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worksop Palace View Post
I’d be absolutely staggered if in every single ground in the country, every week, you didn’t hear some form of racist chanting in the 80’s
Not in the AW 1: we was in there every game be it league , cup , friendly. 2: the crowds were small so would’ve been easier to identify them.
Old 15-11-2019, 10:34 AM
SwimBikeRun!

Jacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Yes, I remember that chant at Selhurst by Palace fans during the Wright/Bright era, and a little earlier.

FOR F**K'S SAKE, MURRAY!!
Old 15-11-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
I was in the AW enclosure from eatly 80s until the new Holmesdale opened, and I never once heard that, thankfully.
Exactly !
Old 15-11-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko View Post
Yes, I remember that chant at Selhurst by Palace fans during the Wright/Bright era, and a little earlier.
AW every game? .
Old 15-11-2019, 10:42 AM
SwimBikeRun!

Jacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by orp pisshead1 View Post
AW every game? .
No, not every game, and not even the majority of games. But definitely in the AW.

The numbers involved were small, but at that time attendances were low, so it probably sounded more prominent.

FOR F**K'S SAKE, MURRAY!!

Last edited by Jacko; 15-11-2019 at 10:44 AM.