Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Other Sport » World of Sport

Notices

World of Sport Discuss all other sport. Includes betting and gambling threads.

Old 10-06-2019, 04:12 PM
Panty Organizer

Funk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is here
Gimme Triston Casas, 1B, BOS.
Old 10-06-2019, 04:30 PM

spike came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspike came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspike came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspike came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspike came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspike came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspike came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspike came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspike came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspike came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspike came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Casey Mize, P, Det
Old 26-06-2019, 10:31 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Anyone going to this? Yankees v Red Sox in London...

To view the link you have to Register or Login

Couldn't wish for 2 more popular teams. Will be interesting how well it goes down.

Not sure why the need to do it, but what do I know.
Old 29-06-2019, 05:56 PM
BOOMSHAKALAKA!!!

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
What is MLB The Show like as a video game?
Old 29-06-2019, 07:48 PM

Lingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLingfield Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
Anyone going to this? Yankees v Red Sox in London...

Couldn't wish for 2 more popular teams. Will be interesting how well it goes down.

Not sure why the need to do it, but what do I know.
Yep, going Sunday and really looking forward to it. Watching it now on BBC sport and looks like a great event.
Old 29-06-2019, 08:02 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lingfield Eagle View Post
Yep, going Sunday and really looking forward to it. Watching it now on BBC sport and looks like a great event.
Enjoy.

When going to watch the LA Dodgers I always feel it is not a great spectator sport, and is much better to watch on TV. It's very hard to see the ball, very hard to see balls from strikes, plus many of the nuances of the game, but... it is usually a fun few hours especially if there is a group of you. Drinking beer and eating hot dogs will do that for you.

It will be interesting to see/hear if a UK crowd will understand the game enough to cheer in the right places.

Little anecdote... I took a friend of mine from England's Dad to a game, and the first batter up hit the first ball out for a home run. I told him that was very unusual, and he said, " I thought that was what they were supposed to do?"... well yes, but it's like hitting the first ball in a test match for a six... unusual.
Old 29-06-2019, 08:10 PM
The Spiky One

So it's 17-6 to the Yankees after 4 1/2 innings!

Now that's unusually! Is the field set up for Little Leagues?
Old 29-06-2019, 09:38 PM
Panty Organizer

Funk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
So it's 17-6 to the Yankees after 4 1/2 innings!

Now that's unusually! Is the field set up for Little Leagues?
Quote:
Dimensions from home plate are 330 feet (100 m) to the foul poles and 385 feet (117 m) to center field, with a 16-foot (4.9 m) fence.
Not too crazy but there is miles of foul ground so I was expecting more foul outs.
Old 29-06-2019, 10:23 PM
plastic glory hunter

TeamSlack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTeamSlack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTeamSlack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTeamSlack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTeamSlack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTeamSlack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTeamSlack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTeamSlack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTeamSlack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTeamSlack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTeamSlack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
It was historically unusual, that 1st inning especially. Curious how tomorrow will go with so much pitching used today. May see a Starter come in for a couple? With a day off after, probably not. With those bats, who knows. And it's an early game after many players' first time to visit a new city, so maybe a night out? Would rather this result than a pitching duel, that's for sure. Curious to see how tomorrow goes.
Old 29-06-2019, 11:25 PM
The Spiky One

If I didn't know better I would say that game was played to the audience so to speak.

A 1-0 pitchers duel game might not have done much for selling the game in The UK.

Is it just a 2 game series or 3?
Old 30-06-2019, 12:16 AM
plastic glory hunter

TeamSlack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTeamSlack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTeamSlack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTeamSlack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTeamSlack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTeamSlack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTeamSlack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTeamSlack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTeamSlack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTeamSlack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTeamSlack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
It wasn't played to the audience on the field. Every player wants to play well, as do the managers. Both teams can hit big time. 2 games, both officially Boston home games. First time I've seen 2 teams in home white uniforms.
Old 30-06-2019, 07:51 PM
BOOMSHAKALAKA!!!

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
I've never really given Baseball much of a chance before but I actually quite like it when I watch it. Definitely going to try get into it, especially as it is on BT which I have unlike the NFL and NBA unfortunately being on Sky these days.

I've always quite like Seattle, I almost went for the Seahawks as my NFL team as they were the first team I saw play (against the 49ers I think!), so Ive always felt a draw to the City so I think I will definitely make the Mariners the team I follow. No idea if they are any good now, or have a decent history but I like Seattle and I like their colours.

Still a few bits in games I don't understand like when they start going to the bullpen etc and what that means for other games etc.
Old 30-06-2019, 11:36 PM

greybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Great weekend. Thought the Olympic Stadium was a fantastic venue for baseball.

https://www.gofundme.com/supporting-katerina
Old 30-06-2019, 11:51 PM
The Spiky One

Quote:
Originally Posted by greybot View Post
Great weekend. Thought the Olympic Stadium was a fantastic venue for baseball.

Apparently the overhanging roof proved to be a bit of a problem evoking "ground rules" specifically for these games.

I was watching a bit, and 3 balls in a row hit the roof above the hitter so became foul balls.

But yes, watching on TV, you would not think it was being played in England (apart from the terrible rendition of the National Anthem).

They must have spent a stinking fortune on preparation and building dugouts, bullpens, and enhanced changing rooms. Shame West Ham didn't have to pay for it!
Old 30-06-2019, 11:58 PM
The Spiky One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle View Post
Still a few bits in games I don't understand like when they start going to the bullpen etc and what that means for other games etc.
Care to elaborate... I should be able to help answer your question, but I don't fully understand what the question is?

I'm thinking you want to know if a reliever comes in ("going to the bullpen") can they be used the next day? The answer is YES. Many "closers" (the guy you bring in to get the last few outs) will appear in up to 100 games a year. They also have long relief pitchers who come in when the starter is in trouble. He and the starter may only go every 3 or 4 days. Exception being the play off and World Series, where there is no point in saving the player, so they may go on zero or one days rest.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:54 AM

Russboy will cross the room to turn the lights down lowRussboy will cross the room to turn the lights down lowRussboy will cross the room to turn the lights down lowRussboy will cross the room to turn the lights down lowRussboy will cross the room to turn the lights down lowRussboy will cross the room to turn the lights down lowRussboy will cross the room to turn the lights down lowRussboy will cross the room to turn the lights down lowRussboy will cross the room to turn the lights down lowRussboy will cross the room to turn the lights down lowRussboy will cross the room to turn the lights down low
Quote:

Generally teams have 5 starters who pitch in sequence from strongest to weakest so are available after 4 days rest. What Hedgehog alludes to is some teams (Tampa Bay and Toronto for example) have experimented with either fewer starters or using bullpen relievers to get through the pitching workload. You are correct if, as with the first Yankees - Red Sox game, the starter is removed in the first inning it creates a heavy workload on the various relievers (not just that day but following games). The first game was very unusual to have both pitchers knocked out of the game in the first inning. Generally it's a thankless task for the long reliever to come in and try and get as many outs as possible in a game which is likely gone as a contest, and the overriding aim is to simply eat innings (teams play 162 games so it's a nearly daily grind). This can also be an issue with extra innings games, where teams are tied after 9 innings, and play till there's a winner. It is not unusual if it's a lengthy extra innings game to see position players pitching because all available pitchers have been used (once they are replaced a pitcher cannot return later).

I hope the series was a success. There are similarities to cricket and it's overdue after the NFL and NBA matches played in London.

Oh and the commentary here was pretty cringe-worthy - it was funny they thought writing Runs, Hits, Errors on the scoreboard to help uneducated Brits, but no-one seemed to have bothered checking how long a Test cricket match is.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:09 AM
BOOMSHAKALAKA!!!

If a pitcher gets benched how comes they are then missing for the next game? I was sort of watching it Saturday whilst playing Football Manager so wasn't fully engrossed. But then they kept saying such and such team doesn't want to go too deep into the bullpen otherwise they will be struggling for pitchers the next night?

Also another question, when there are runners on bases, who is the guy from their team that is stood talking to them?
Old 01-07-2019, 03:37 PM
The Spiky One

Quote:
If a pitcher gets benched how comes they are then missing for the next game? I was sort of watching it Saturday whilst playing Football Manager so wasn't fully engrossed. But then they kept saying such and such team doesn't want to go too deep into the bullpen otherwise they will be struggling for pitchers the next night?

Also another question, when there are runners on bases, who is the guy from their team that is stood talking to them?
Your first question:
It is purely a matter of arm strength and/or fatigue. There is no rule to prevent the pitcher from pitching the next day. In fact the "closer" (the one brought in to get the last few outs) will pitch on consecutive days if needed. It all comes down to the pitch count... I'm guessing a starter may have a 100 pitch limit and will not pitch again for 3 or 4 days. A closer may have a limit of about 20 pitches, and so can go the next day if needed. The guys in between probably would also get a few days rest. I don't think it can be under estimated the strain on the arm for a pitcher, and is nothing like a bowler in cricket.

Second question:
Those guys talking to the base runners are the first and third base coaches (there is not one on second base). Their basic job is to tell the base runner whether to run or not, i.e. 3rd base to run for home on an outfield fly ball (you can't leave the base until the ball has been caught), also they impart on a base runner coming from second base whether to hold up at 3rd or continue running for home plate. At first base they can advise when to run prior to the pitch (or get a jump on the pitch) either stealing a base or avoiding/break-up a double play.

First and third base coaches are usually also batting or field coaches, but not the head coach or pitching coach. Like all the coaches in baseball they wear the full uniform so I can see it might get a bit confusing.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:39 PM

Russboy will cross the room to turn the lights down lowRussboy will cross the room to turn the lights down lowRussboy will cross the room to turn the lights down lowRussboy will cross the room to turn the lights down lowRussboy will cross the room to turn the lights down lowRussboy will cross the room to turn the lights down lowRussboy will cross the room to turn the lights down lowRussboy will cross the room to turn the lights down lowRussboy will cross the room to turn the lights down lowRussboy will cross the room to turn the lights down lowRussboy will cross the room to turn the lights down low
First base and third base coaches. They relay signals to runners on base from the manager and try to spot pick off attempts by the pitcher (where they try to catch the runner off the bag for an out).

For starters their conditioning is very specific to the rest periods. Ideally you want the pitcher to go into the 7th inning or later and around 100 pitches, then pass it over to the specialist bullpen relievers. In the case of exiting early, they may not be exhausted but they may be suffering a slight injury and/or issues with pitch control and hence the high number of hits/runs against. I guess they allow pitchers the rest days to recover and hopefully come back stronger next time. It's not worth the risk of repeating the exercise and have the bullpen carry 8 or so innings a second day (there are usually only 7 or 8 relievers on a team). Although relievers are expected to work shorter pitch counts and they can pitch sequential days, that in itself is wearing and its a marathon over 162 games plus the playoffs.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:44 PM
Happy Felix Day!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
Quote:

The guy talking to them is the base coach. There are two, one at first base and one at third. Their job is to evaluate whether the runner can make the extra base, or should stop at the base they are running towards. So if you see the third doing a windmill gesture, that means the runner going towards theirs should run through third and try to get home.
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.