Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Off Topic Ľ General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 30-05-2019, 08:51 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salad_Burnet View Post
Can't you just keep watching the trailer instead? I'm sure the trailer and the film are very similar.
Funny you say that...
Old 31-05-2019, 05:23 AM
Made in Bromley

monkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salad_Burnet View Post
Can't you just keep watching the trailer instead? I'm sure the trailer and the film are very similar.
Iíve always said, trailers to a lot of films are so long and detailed you donít actually need to waste 2 hours of your life watching the film
Old 31-05-2019, 01:52 PM

Hector came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHector came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHector came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHector came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHector came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHector came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHector came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHector came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHector came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHector came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHector came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
Iíve always said, trailers to a lot of films are so long and detailed you donít actually need to waste 2 hours of your life watching the film
That and they contain all the best bits. You can probably hold a decent conversation about a film by just watch the trailer
Old 31-05-2019, 02:29 PM

legaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Palace View Post
No offence like but it's true.

You're Kent.

And we appreciate your support.

Not Kent for 50 plus years mate.Nowadays it's South East London but to people of my generation who came from Bromley,yes it's Kent not London.But if I'm say down under or in the US and someone asks where I grew up,then yes sure no problem I will say London
Old 31-05-2019, 02:32 PM

legaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Saw the film.Not impressed unfortunately.As someone who sometimes watched Bromley in that period as a young kid,there were a few nostalgic references that got the memoriescoming back though

Last edited by legaleagle2; 31-05-2019 at 02:36 PM.
Old 31-05-2019, 03:12 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
Prime example of this was Four Lions (the film about the 4 English terrorist).

The trailer was very funny, so rented the movie... unfortunately the only funny bits were what was shown in the trailer... the rest was crap.
Old 30-08-2019, 05:16 PM
The Spiky One

Well I finally got to see Bromley Boys last night. We went to the US Premier at a small movie theater in Beverly Hills. It was put on by the film’s independent distributor, Patrick DiCesare.

Apparently a local school had, from what we could make out was some kind of fund raiser that involved selling tickets, but unfortunately there probably was only 7 to 10 kids and about the same amount of parents or teachers, plus a few hardy souls like us who purchased tickets independently, so a total of about 20-25 people. I’m guessing the theater held 100-150, so was pretty empty.

Apart from the distributor guy, there was also the actress Anna Danshina there. She played Anoushka (Charlie McQueen’s Russian lady friend). After the showing she answered a few questions about the film and the making of. She seemed a bit full of herself for someone with a very limited role and a limited CV. I would have loved to have told them I actually grew up in Bromley and attended many a match at Hayes Lane, but I couldn’t work up the enthusiasm to be honest. I even had a copy of the program in my pocket from the first game I went to in 1967…

As for the movie… basically pretty disappointed in it. Preferred the book, which the film is based on, but seemed to deviate from quite a bit. I think the fact Dave Robert’s and I were both born in 1955 and I was actually going to games at Hayes Lane around the time of the movie setting sort of annoyed me in as much as I never felt Bromley were as bad as the movie makes out. I actually found a lot of it cringe worthy – but I think I need to accept the movie used artistic license to embellish the story.

One thing I thought they did nail was the music and the feel (cloths, cars) of the era. Dave’s room looked just like mine! Another thing that did annoy me was the accents of the characters… not many sounded like people from Bromley. Probably nitpicking there.

I’m not sure how the film will do in the US. There are so many references in the film to iconic characters from English football from that era (Bill Shankly, Don Revie, Martin Peters, Geoff Hurst etc.). I suspect American’s would on the whole not know who the hell they were and would just get the gist that they were someone football related. My wife (the American) says she ended up enjoying the film, but found it tough going at first. To be honest so did I, and I got all the football references. I would be very surprised if this film makes it into any high street cinema.

Bottom line… glad I finally saw it. Would I watch it again? No. Would I recommend it to anyone? I would be hard pressed to (especially an American).
Old 31-08-2019, 07:02 AM

BERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is here
According to Ms Danshina's IMD profile The Bromley Boys was No5 besteller dvd on Amazon.

PS Good review Hedgehog, I quite liked it but if I didn't have any connections to Bromley less so I guess.
Old 31-08-2019, 07:09 AM
Banned by Moderators

Stan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
Prime example of this was Four Lions (the film about the 4 English terrorist).

The trailer was very funny, so rented the movie... unfortunately the only funny bits were what was shown in the trailer... the rest was crap.
Old 31-08-2019, 07:09 AM

HRP Sam the man is hereHRP Sam the man is hereHRP Sam the man is hereHRP Sam the man is hereHRP Sam the man is hereHRP Sam the man is hereHRP Sam the man is hereHRP Sam the man is hereHRP Sam the man is hereHRP Sam the man is hereHRP Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
Well I finally got to see Bromley Boys last night. We went to the US Premier at a small movie theater in Beverly Hills. It was put on by the film’s independent distributor, Patrick DiCesare.

Apparently a local school had, from what we could make out was some kind of fund raiser that involved selling tickets, but unfortunately there probably was only 7 to 10 kids and about the same amount of parents or teachers, plus a few hardy souls like us who purchased tickets independently, so a total of about 20-25 people. I’m guessing the theater held 100-150, so was pretty empty.

Apart from the distributor guy, there was also the actress Anna Danshina there. She played Anoushka (Charlie McQueen’s Russian lady friend). After the showing she answered a few questions about the film and the making of. She seemed a bit full of herself for someone with a very limited role and a limited CV. I would have loved to have told them I actually grew up in Bromley and attended many a match at Hayes Lane, but I couldn’t work up the enthusiasm to be honest. I even had a copy of the program in my pocket from the first game I went to in 1967…

As for the movie… basically pretty disappointed in it. Preferred the book, which the film is based on, but seemed to deviate from quite a bit. I think the fact Dave Robert’s and I were both born in 1955 and I was actually going to games at Hayes Lane around the time of the movie setting sort of annoyed me in as much as I never felt Bromley were as bad as the movie makes out. I actually found a lot of it cringe worthy – but I think I need to accept the movie used artistic license to embellish the story.

One thing I thought they did nail was the music and the feel (cloths, cars) of the era. Dave’s room looked just like mine! Another thing that did annoy me was the accents of the characters… not many sounded like people from Bromley. Probably nitpicking there.

I’m not sure how the film will do in the US. There are so many references in the film to iconic characters from English football from that era (Bill Shankly, Don Revie, Martin Peters, Geoff Hurst etc.). I suspect American’s would on the whole not know who the hell they were and would just get the gist that they were someone football related. My wife (the American) says she ended up enjoying the film, but found it tough going at first. To be honest so did I, and I got all the football references. I would be very surprised if this film makes it into any high street cinema.

Bottom line… glad I finally saw it. Would I watch it again? No. Would I recommend it to anyone? I would be hard pressed to (especially an American).
So the actress who was in the film was up herself, but you took a programme to the cinema of the first Bromley game you went to are not ? Seriously .
WTF
Old 31-08-2019, 08:13 AM
Made in Bromley

monkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I agree hedgehog, I’m a bit younger than you as you know, but I was a 70’s schoolboy and they did nail the era spot on. I enjoyed the film because I managed to disconnected from my Bromley and Bromley FC connections and took it for what it was, a decent little British film.
You’re right though, looking at it with our Bromley heads on, the film was no-where near as good as the book and although I wasn’t going in that era, the football they showed, the players and the ramshackle ground and pitch were surely unrealistic
Old 31-08-2019, 08:23 AM

Baffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is here
I liked it because Carshalton got a mention.
Old 31-08-2019, 09:13 AM

asus came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietasus came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietasus came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietasus came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietasus came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietasus came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietasus came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietasus came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietasus came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietasus came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietasus came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I wanted to like it as I used to know the director, but really it wasn't great and was clearly a massively low budget affair.
Old 31-08-2019, 07:20 PM
The Spiky One

Quote:
Originally Posted by asus View Post
I wanted to like it as I used to know the director, but really it wasn't great and was clearly a massively low budget affair.
I see according to IMDB it cost an estimated $1.5 Million to make, and so far it has only grossed $20,000.

Goes to show how tough a business the film industry is.

As for HRP's snidey post... I should just ignore it, but what the hey. The event was advertised as having a Question and Answer session after the showing of the film, but it didn't specify with who. I was hoping it would have been either Dave Roberts (The writer of the book) or TJ Herbert (the film producer and actor from the movie), but it turned out to be one of the bit part actresses who had about 2 lines.

If it had been either Roberts or Herbert, both being from Bromley I thought they might have been interested in seeing a programme from that season.

Oh well, I'll just stick my head back up my arse.
Old 31-08-2019, 10:11 PM
Since '67

ozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Very disappointed in the Bromley Boys, I thought it was going to be at least at least a 7.5 It barely made a 6 in my book, which equates to a waste of time and more importantly a total waste of my "Free Movie pass" that I had with Netflix during that month.

Watch any episode of the Inbetweeners and you'll get more laughs.

As for the Four Lions mentioned above in comparison..... I thought that was brilliant, funny and gave a dodgy subject entertainment value. A great movie for me, enjoyed it and would easily watch it again.
Old 31-08-2019, 11:07 PM
Old School BBS

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRP View Post
So the actress who was in the film was up herself, but you took a programme to the cinema of the first Bromley game you went to are not ? Seriously .
WTF
Is English your second language?

The BBS - Where Brighton Neggers have imaginary lawyers.
Old 31-08-2019, 11:14 PM

spy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minespy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minespy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minespy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minespy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minespy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minespy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minespy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minespy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minespy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minespy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Watched this on sky recently (mainly due to it being about Bromley) but wasn’t that impressed. I don’t know how much of it is supposed to be true but the idea that a Bromley striker when they were bottom of the league and seemed to lose every week would be bought by Man Utd or Leeds seemed totally implausible.
Old 31-08-2019, 11:52 PM
The Spiky One

Quote:
Originally Posted by spy View Post
I donít know how much of it is supposed to be true but the idea that a Bromley striker when they were bottom of the league and seemed to lose every week would be bought by Man Utd or Leeds seemed totally implausible.
To be fair it was only plausible in the imagination of the kid, and was never a real possibility even in the movie. The bit I didn't like was when the BBC ran with the story - again only in the movie - but was really pushing the limits of artistic license.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:49 PM

NYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Just caught a flight from Dallas to Austin and Bromley Boys was showing on the Entertainment channel.

Got as far as him going to Langley Park school before it was switched off. Will watch the rest on the return flight (hopefully).
Old 05-11-2019, 08:53 PM

KYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by spy View Post
Watched this on sky recently (mainly due to it being about Bromley) but wasnít that impressed. I donít know how much of it is supposed to be true but the idea that a Bromley striker when they were bottom of the league and seemed to lose every week would be bought by Man Utd or Leeds seemed totally implausible.
If Palace had bought him, that would probably be nearer the mark.