Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 19-05-2019, 03:44 PM

aderuk1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietaderuk1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietaderuk1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietaderuk1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietaderuk1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietaderuk1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietaderuk1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietaderuk1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietaderuk1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietaderuk1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietaderuk1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Wort View Post
But the feeling of suppressing your celebrations while VAR makes its judgment will be even worse.

Which I think is what Bodger is getting at.

At some point in the future we'll have been conditioned into taking for granted that the ball nestling in the back of the net means nothing. And we'll stand around chatting about the weather until the big screen flashes "GOAL!!!"

Then we can jump up and down and scream and shout.

But I doubt we'll feel like it.
I think the moment will be lost and the celebrations could be a lot more muted once the wait to see if it is a goal is confirmed, which is a shame.
Old 19-05-2019, 04:44 PM

Bizarro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBizarro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBizarro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBizarro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBizarro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBizarro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBizarro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBizarro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBizarro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBizarro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBizarro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I really think var will kill football, if you take away the joy of goals what's the point? It might be great for TV, but in the ground we won't know what's going on.
Old 19-05-2019, 04:49 PM

sydnsteve came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsydnsteve came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsydnsteve came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsydnsteve came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsydnsteve came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsydnsteve came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsydnsteve came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsydnsteve came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsydnsteve came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsydnsteve came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsydnsteve came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Holmesdale View Post
As I understand it the big screens/scoreboards will alert supporters to the fact that a VAR review is on-going.

Does this mean we will we be getting another screen to include those supporters in the Whitehorse Stand?
Bloody hope not. I pay a lot more than you !

(Joke)
Old 19-05-2019, 05:10 PM

Richard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodger View Post
How many time will fans celebrate a goal that is chalked off before they stop celebrating with the same passion.
Very good point.
Old 20-05-2019, 06:34 AM
Greatest Mouse Detective

Location: In a post box in the heart of Mayfair, and at Lloyd's
DANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodger View Post
How many time will fans celebrate a goal that is chalked off before they stop celebrating with the same passion.
I hadn't thought of that.
Old 20-05-2019, 09:06 AM

Harry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizarro View Post
I really think var will kill football, if you take away the joy of goals what's the point? It might be great for TV, but in the ground we won't know what's going on.
This, sadly

At the moment you glimpse for a lino flagging, now it will be looking for a screen to confirm if its a goal or not... that is if you can see the bloody thing

Oh well, we are only paying customers...

Football is slowly eating itself for the actual match going fan
Old 20-05-2019, 09:24 AM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
My two-pen'worth -

If the powers that be are so confident that VAR will result in the correct decision being reached, then why can't we see the replays on the big screen in the ground? Because fans are reasonable people and as soon as we see the reason why a goal has been chalked off or that a red card given is the correct decision, we will behave reasonably - no?

I think there will be a lot more penalties given, because the general way it seemed to be used at the World Cup (once it had settled down after the first week) was that anyone who went down in the box meant a VAR review, and the only criteria used seemed to be if there was contact.

Good penalty takers (like Luka) may well see their value soar as they become an even more important part of a team
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 20-05-2019, 09:31 AM

teesdale99 Sam the man is hereteesdale99 Sam the man is hereteesdale99 Sam the man is hereteesdale99 Sam the man is hereteesdale99 Sam the man is hereteesdale99 Sam the man is hereteesdale99 Sam the man is hereteesdale99 Sam the man is hereteesdale99 Sam the man is hereteesdale99 Sam the man is hereteesdale99 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorking .Eagle View Post
My two-pen'worth -

If the powers that be are so confident that VAR will result in the correct decision being reached, then why can't we see the replays on the big screen in the ground? Because fans are reasonable people and as soon as we see the reason why a goal has been chalked off or that a red card given is the correct decision, we will behave reasonably - no?

I think there will be a lot more penalties given, because the general way it seemed to be used at the World Cup (once it had settled down after the first week) was that anyone who went down in the box meant a VAR review, and the only criteria used seemed to be if there was contact.

Good penalty takers (like Luka) may well see their value soar as they become an even more important part of a team
This will be compounded by the change in handball rule
Old 20-05-2019, 09:34 AM
Selhurstian

EagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o View Post
I wondered the same thing. Not holding my breath...I mean it's the family stand...and the only place the families can't
"enjoy" the big screen facilities.
I can't see the screen from the AW with that monstrosity of a gantry in the way. Can't wait until that goes.
Old 20-05-2019, 10:17 AM
Heshlo Kitty

cpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizarro View Post
That's pretty much how I feel.
Old 20-05-2019, 10:23 AM
Sing now, godess.

wedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is here
Am I the only one worried that the VAR panels will be big club nupties?
Old 20-05-2019, 10:24 AM
Dougie 21/03/2007

milky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Hopefully they introduce VAR in the red and blue bar at half time so they know who was 1st in line
Old 20-05-2019, 10:33 AM

andyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek View Post
I agree with this completely.

In my view, the feeling when a goal you have fully celebrated is disallowed is worse than the feeling when you concede a goal.
Indeed, I went berserk when Cheikhou Kouyaté scored at Old Trafford this season in the first half. It seemed like eternity to realise it had been chalked off and was beyond gutted. Thankfully we got our own back when they celebrated Lukaku's goal to then realise it was also chalked off.
Old 20-05-2019, 10:36 AM
crap ball gazer!

bald-eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebald-eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebald-eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebald-eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebald-eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebald-eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebald-eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebald-eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebald-eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebald-eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebald-eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleSE24 View Post
I can't see the screen from the AW with that monstrosity of a gantry in the way. Can't wait until that goes.
I cant see it from the back row of the lower tier - nor can i make out any of the PA announcements!
Old 20-05-2019, 10:40 AM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by milky87 View Post
Hopefully they introduce VAR in the red and blue bar at half time so they know who was 1st in line

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 20-05-2019, 11:21 AM

libran came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlibran came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlibran came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlibran came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlibran came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlibran came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlibran came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlibran came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlibran came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlibran came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlibran came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Wort View Post
But the feeling of suppressing your celebrations while VAR makes its judgment will be even worse.

Which I think is what Bodger is getting at.

At some point in the future we'll have been conditioned into taking for granted that the ball nestling in the back of the net means nothing. And we'll stand around chatting about the weather until the big screen flashes "GOAL!!!"

Then we can jump up and down and scream and shout.

But I doubt we'll feel like it.
I get this point and was talking about it with someone yesterday, will it over time neuter 'in the moment' celebrations?
Old 20-05-2019, 12:07 PM
Wheelie McWheelface

A Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is here
It would be good if you could echo the screen feed into your phone, got those who can't see the big screen properly.
Old 20-05-2019, 12:16 PM

TouchyAndalou Sam the man is hereTouchyAndalou Sam the man is hereTouchyAndalou Sam the man is hereTouchyAndalou Sam the man is hereTouchyAndalou Sam the man is hereTouchyAndalou Sam the man is hereTouchyAndalou Sam the man is hereTouchyAndalou Sam the man is hereTouchyAndalou Sam the man is hereTouchyAndalou Sam the man is hereTouchyAndalou Sam the man is here
There was VAR controversy in the Australian A-League Grand Final.

I only mention that because it gives me an excuse to post this picture of Grant and Davidson arguing over who has the worst haircut:

And I think we all know who the winner is.
Old 20-05-2019, 12:24 PM
moist

chelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is here
I was a fan of VAR being introduced but after a season of it being used in La Liga I am far less of a fan. The issues are what several people have pointed out on this thread. The lack of communication with those in the stadium is appalling. The incidents are not shown on the screen and often you are unaware of what is being reviewed. The process is far too slow, often 3 or 4 minutes. And the worst thing is that you are not sure if a goal is a goal. It does as someone suggested kill the atmosphere. Hopefully these things can all be addressed but I suspect they won't be.
Old 20-05-2019, 12:33 PM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
I would be very happy to see the back of it, after a season of suffering it. Linesmen teme to let play on and depend on VAR to correct any offside judgements which is particularly annoying, but there are plenty of other issues which mean it detracts from the live experience.