Home | Forums | Galleries | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum

Notices

Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum All things computer, internet, mobile, tablet and video game related.

Old 05-11-2015, 10:11 PM

Louis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Help with an Intel iMac 20" that won't boot :(

Any Mac users with experience of getting things fixed?

I have an Intel iMac 2.4Ghz 4Gb/250 20" which I bought from the Applestore around 2008.

Tonight, it won't boot up. The screen comes on and displays the Apple logo. The 'spinning wheel' below the Apple logo rotates continuously and nothing else happens. I've tried a few things that I googled from my MacBook laptop, but no success. I've tried resetting the PRAM, and resetting the PMC. Tried to run Disk Utility in Recovery Mode. Basically, nothing works. I just keep getting the spinning wheel under the Apple logo when I start up.

I even found an OSX DVD that I bought to update the OS, but I can't work out how to start from that - the DVD is currently in the DVD drive, but the Mac won't start from it, it seems to want to start from the internal HD and ignores the DVD.

I'm guessing it may need an engineer to look at it. I've had good service from the AppleStore in Regent Street before. But as the machine is around 7 years old, will they still service it? And then there's the problem of lugging it up there and back.

Does anyone know a good company/person to fix it in or near Brockley, SE4?

I'm hoping to get it fixed fairly quickly and without spending too much
Old 05-11-2015, 10:17 PM
Le Crystal Chamakh

mroakley9 Sam the man is heremroakley9 Sam the man is heremroakley9 Sam the man is heremroakley9 Sam the man is heremroakley9 Sam the man is heremroakley9 Sam the man is heremroakley9 Sam the man is heremroakley9 Sam the man is heremroakley9 Sam the man is heremroakley9 Sam the man is heremroakley9 Sam the man is here
This happened to my Macbook last year. The hard drive was rooted, and the only way to fix the computer was to replace the hard drive.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:35 PM
Slightly Unstable

Location: A spherical nickel-iron alloy in the middle of a nothingness of unknown quantity
Santos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is here
Hold down option (alt) when you turn it on - if your Mac can boot from the DVD, it should give you the option then.

Highly unlikely Apple will still have parts for anything over 5 years old.

Could also try booting into single user mode and running disk utility from the command line (if it gets that far).

Hold down CMD and S when you turn it on, then at the command prompt type:

mount -uw (hit enter)
fsck -fy

TBH though the built in disk tools in Mac OS X are shitty. My 6-year-old version of Diskwarrior still works better than Disk Utility in El Crapitan or Yosemite.

Last edited by Santos-er; 05-11-2015 at 10:47 PM.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:53 PM
Slightly Unstable

Location: A spherical nickel-iron alloy in the middle of a nothingness of unknown quantity
Santos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is here
Having seen your other thread, looks pretty nailed on it's a OS X problem. Also if you're running 10.6.8 that explains the inability to boot into recovery mode... that didn't arrive until Lion
Old 06-11-2015, 10:05 PM

Louis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santos-er View Post
Having seen your other thread, looks pretty nailed on it's a OS X problem. Also if you're running 10.6.8 that explains the inability to boot into recovery mode... that didn't arrive until Lion
I've managed to boot from the OS X dvd (holding down C while turning on I think). I ran disk first aid (or what ever it's called) and it said the hard disk was OK. Also ran another program which said the same thing.

So it could be software - I think I should probably try to re-install OS X from the dvd?

Last edited by Louis; 06-11-2015 at 11:09 PM.
Old 13-11-2015, 01:03 PM

UPDATE

Re-installed system from DVD and upgraded via Software Update
10.6.8 now

Seems to be working fine now

BUT …

still problems with 'permissions' (see other thread)