Home | Forums | Galleries | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum

Notices

Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum All things computer, internet, mobile, tablet and video game related.

Old 06-11-2007, 05:59 PM

Dave The Eagle is finding a place in our heartDave The Eagle is finding a place in our heartDave The Eagle is finding a place in our heartDave The Eagle is finding a place in our heartDave The Eagle is finding a place in our heart
1st Laptop...Mac?

Hey everyone; recently ive been looking at laptops, just because of its general convenience and the fact that i want to go to uni next year.

For some reason my mind has been set on a Mac, they look so sleek and unproblematic. Is this a wise choice, or should I be looking elsewhere?

Id be using it for games, movies and working.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:12 PM

Isle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is here
Re: 1st Laptop...Mac?

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave The Eagle
Hey everyone; recently ive been looking at laptops, just because of its general convenience and the fact that i want to go to uni next year.

For some reason my mind has been set on a Mac, they look so sleek and unproblematic. Is this a wise choice, or should I be looking elsewhere?

Id be using it for games, movies and working.
Brilliant for Movies, comes with front row and a remote control for running your DVD or ripped film.
Great for work.
Previously I would have said no for games but as you can run windows XP now with boot camp you can play to you hearts content.
Add iphoto idvd and itunes all drag and drop between them all ANd you can get student discount from the apple site I would go for it

Member of the Magnificent 16
29th May 2004
Member of the Magnificent 1007
22nd May 2006
Member of the Magnificent 33000
27th May 2013
Member of the Strange Aircraft Clique
16th December 2018
Old 06-11-2007, 06:20 PM
Slightly Unstable

Location: A spherical nickel-iron alloy in the middle of a nothingness of unknown quantity
Santos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is here
Mac all the way. Especially if you're going into cut n paste... sorry... web design!
Old 06-11-2007, 10:27 PM
You fill me with inertia

James Melody has got sunshine in a bagJames Melody has got sunshine in a bagJames Melody has got sunshine in a bagJames Melody has got sunshine in a bagJames Melody has got sunshine in a bagJames Melody has got sunshine in a bagJames Melody has got sunshine in a bagJames Melody has got sunshine in a bagJames Melody has got sunshine in a bagJames Melody has got sunshine in a bagJames Melody has got sunshine in a bag
If you want to play games then do not get a Mac. Yes, I know you can run Windows on it with Bootcamp but Macbooks all have Intel integrated graphics solutions. If you want to play games you will need a laptop with either an Nvidia or ATI graphics chip in it.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:51 PM

Isle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is here
James is right. If your prime need is to play games then get a gaming laptop (I'm sure there is such a thing) but if all the other things you need out weigh this then get a Mac, you'll still be able to play games.

29th May 2004
22nd May 2006
27th May 2013
16th December 2018
Old 06-11-2007, 11:53 PM

Dave The Eagle is finding a place in our heartDave The Eagle is finding a place in our heartDave The Eagle is finding a place in our heartDave The Eagle is finding a place in our heartDave The Eagle is finding a place in our heart
cheers for the help so far; gaming is by no means a priority, would just be a nice little extra.

the one concern though is that ive heard from a few that a mac is completely different to windows. bearing in mind i have no previous experience with Apple, would you still recommend?
Old 07-11-2007, 10:30 AM
You fill me with inertia

James Melody has got sunshine in a bagJames Melody has got sunshine in a bagJames Melody has got sunshine in a bagJames Melody has got sunshine in a bagJames Melody has got sunshine in a bagJames Melody has got sunshine in a bagJames Melody has got sunshine in a bagJames Melody has got sunshine in a bagJames Melody has got sunshine in a bagJames Melody has got sunshine in a bagJames Melody has got sunshine in a bag
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave The Eagle
cheers for the help so far; gaming is by no means a priority, would just be a nice little extra.

the one concern though is that ive heard from a few that a mac is completely different to windows. bearing in mind i have no previous experience with Apple, would you still recommend?
TBH I don't have any issues using my PC. I have not had a single crash this year....(In fact the last time I did was when my hard drive died...) Mac users like to think their platform is vastly superior to Windows however for a student I would like to make a few points :

1. There is a far wider range of software on Windows. No matter what you want to do there will be software available to do it and you will have anumber of options.
2. It is far easier to pick up the software you want from a number of sources. There are plenty of avenues you can find to easily share software with others.
3. Repairs/upgrades are easier with a PC. There is a far greater range of options available. You will find it far easier to pick up items which are PC compatible rather than Mac compatible.
4. Gaming is something which is fun. I would not make it the only reason to buy a laptop but if you are that way inclined do not buy a Mac. You don't need to buy a super high end laptop to play games just one with an ATI or Nvidia graphics chip.

If you want to see the sort of games available for the Mac look here : To view the link you have to Register or Login
Most of the better Mac games are ports of older PC games.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:11 PM
Binned by Muderators

Brett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBrett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBrett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBrett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBrett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBrett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBrett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBrett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBrett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBrett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBrett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
As a Mac user, I would suggest a long hard think before buying Mac at the moment. Apple is sidelining computer hardware quality controls while they concentrate on the iPhone and I don't expect them to get back on track until the phone has launched in all of Apple's target markets.

Go to an Apple store and play around with the MacBooks before you buy.

PS - I own a MacBook and a Mac Mini.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by James Melody
TBH I don't have any issues using my PC. I have not had a single crash this year....(In fact the last time I did was when my hard drive died...) Mac users like to think their platform is vastly superior to Windows however for a student I would like to make a few points :

1. There is a far wider range of software on Windows. No matter what you want to do there will be software available to do it and you will have anumber of options.
2. It is far easier to pick up the software you want from a number of sources. There are plenty of avenues you can find to easily share software with others.
3. Repairs/upgrades are easier with a PC. There is a far greater range of options available. You will find it far easier to pick up items which are PC compatible rather than Mac compatible.
4. Gaming is something which is fun. I would not make it the only reason to buy a laptop but if you are that way inclined do not buy a Mac. You don't need to buy a super high end laptop to play games just one with an ATI or Nvidia graphics chip.

If you want to see the sort of games available for the Mac look here : To view the link you have to Register or Login
Most of the better Mac games are ports of older PC games.
Firstly I use both a Mac and a PC both bought around the same time. A Mac mini and a Toshiba Laptop. Today the laptop is creaking under Anti Virus burden as well as the qwirks that come with adding and removing various bits of software. It's now at the stage where it need to be reset back to the factory settings and rebuilt. My Mac is exactly the same as the day it came out the box wih loads of stuff added and taken away.

With regard to the points James made.

1.Yes he is right there is vastly far more software available for PC's and as such adding one piece can effect another. For example there are loads of different freeware ripping software programs available. For the MAC there are just 2. However as they both work why do you need more? Yes there may be a vegetarian biorhythm recipe planner software package available but do you really need it? The only thing missing as far as I am concerned on the MAC is support for a customer management database called ACT and non support from Internet calls (I use skype instead)

2. Same with the MAC I can get to all THOSE sources if I choose as well. I also don't run the risk of downloading something nasty that could cause me problems either.

3. Again he is right on a desktop but a laptop is restricted whether it is MAC or PC . The only upgrades you can do on both PC and MAC laptops is add memory, replace hard drives. Everything else is external connected via USB or firewire which is supported by both

4.Again James is right and you can run the games that are not available under windows (Same for that Veggie software, if you must) on the MAC. Graphical performance MAY be a tad poorer, however test have shown that a MAC running windows out performs the equivalent spec PC on bench mark tests. So for a game that should bring them both back level again.

To cover a couple of other points mentioned from yourself and Brett. Is it easy to use? I have had years on a PC but I know and do more on my MAC than I could ever do on my PC but I'm still learning odd thing are different (Apple click Vrs Control Click) for example and after a day on the PC it takes a couple of mins to get back in the swing of things.
Bretts points about quality, I cant comment about I know he has had some problems. What I can tell you is that I have just bought a new Imac and its brilliant. I have someone I can call up for the next 60 days, on a normal number, and ask stupid questions. I messed up my internet order that resulted in two deliveries and two charges. 1 phone call, no waiting, and it was sorted with my delivery charges refunded. Try that one with DELL. I got all my stuff off one machine onto the other including all the programs and licences without a hiccup. Previously when I have asked in PC world to do the same, not being confident to do it myself they just laughed at me. Oh and if you want the Apple store will do it for you F.O.C.
Finally, apart from the boring stuff that I'm sure you have heard about Virus's, I have all my music and videos in Itunes that seamlessly syncs with my Ipod. I can create DVD's and Movies and have all my Photographs stored and if I want to mix it all up, all I do is drag and drop between the programs and it just works. Oh and I have word, excel & powerpoint for all the "Work" stuff I have tried to get to grips with the Apple equivalent and even though true Apple aficionados will say they are better I know how to use the Microsoft stuff.

However you can pick up a PC for £400 vrs £700 for the MAC or £650 if you are a student. Brett actually gave the best advice. Go to an Apple store and have a play. Good luck.

29th May 2004
22nd May 2006
27th May 2013
16th December 2018
Old 07-11-2007, 07:26 PM
Binned by Muderators

Brett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBrett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBrett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBrett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBrett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBrett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBrett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBrett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBrett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBrett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBrett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Have you had any freezes yet, IOW?
Old 07-11-2007, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Brett
Have you had any freezes yet, IOW?
Nope. The only issue I seem to have had is that safari on ebay sometimes does a "Cant reach please report" I also have a problem on a page of the online trophy manger game (my squad won't show in flash mode) so I use Firefox. I've dropped all my freeware power PC programs and replaced with universal but am still running Toast as a power PC app and it works fine. The screen is beautiful and the new keyboard is brilliant for a 4 fingered typist like me. I love the silence, the USB external drive had to go back as it sounded like a drill spinning in comparison. Only major gripe is the lack of USB ports. 4 is not enough when you need one for the keyboard, one for the mouse, one for the ipod shuffle, one for the Ipod dock, one for the camera, one for the printer, etc The two you get on the keyboard are next to useless as they don't supply the power needed for the pods etc ( anyway looks crap). With the mini I had a hub that sat discreetly underneath and increase me by 5 including one at the front. So I'm on the hunt for a "nice looking" hub.

29th May 2004
22nd May 2006
27th May 2013
16th December 2018
Old 07-11-2007, 07:44 PM
Binned by Muderators

What spec machine did you get? Are you running Leopard and have you installed all the software updates?

My finger is hovering over the submit order button again but I'm really hesitant about the freezing due to me having the worst luck of any person in the civilised world.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:54 PM
Banned by Moderators

Matt25 knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?Matt25 knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?Matt25 knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?Matt25 knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?Matt25 knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?Matt25 knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?Matt25 knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?Matt25 knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?Matt25 knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?Matt25 knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?Matt25 knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?
My first Laptop I got recently which is a MacBook. Yet to upgrade to Leopard and it hasn't got the new santa rosa chipset and graphics, but they all come with that as standard so theres no better time then the present. You will not regret going mac.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:59 PM
Mamba

gags : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegags : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegags : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegags : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegags : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegags : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegags : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegags : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegags : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegags : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegags : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I am hoping to buy my second Mac (this time a Pro) laptop in time for xmas.

Bloody lovely they are. I would like to state that I have become extreamly biased since changing a couple of years ago. Style and substance, you don't get that everyday - although you have to pay for it, it's worth it. I am hugging mine while typing this.

PC users don't walk around saying 'I love my PC' for a reason.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:02 PM

20" 2Ghz 1gb Ram (buying more from Crucial 1/2 the Apple price) but I upgraded the drive to 320GB 750 with the 50 student discount

Oh, and Dave, another thing is you can always sell MACS for decent money (bought my Mini for 250 sold it for 200) a PC becomes a paperweight.

I'm still on Tiger as I wanted to get others to find the problems in the real world before I installed. Have bought it (5) and will wait a couple more weeks before upgrading. My big problem is finding a back up drive that is silent. A visit to the apple store is on the cards for a listen and advice. PC world " well that ones black, that ones silver and they are both 320GB "

29th May 2004
22nd May 2006
27th May 2013
16th December 2018
Old 07-11-2007, 08:16 PM

immoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimmoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimmoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimmoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimmoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimmoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimmoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimmoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimmoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimmoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimmoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Don't worry about using a Mac for the first time that is what they are good at. (I have had limited exposure to Macs so I don't know how true this is).

Macs are more expensive but they do hold their value better.

Windows is generally better because of it's compatiability with games, which Macs can now have due to Bootcamp, although it is useless with Intel integrated graphics unless you play the originaly Sims.

As for Antivirus slow down, use a good antivirus none of that Norton or Mcaffee rubbish. NOD32 or Kaspersky will do you fine with minimal slowdown. With Macs growing popularity it is only time until more viruses are targeting Macs.

In the end it is personal opinion of what you get.

1) Price
2) Will you be gaming if so what games? The ATi graphics cards that can come with Macs are some of the lower end ones if I remember rightly.
3) Software compatiability
Old 07-11-2007, 08:57 PM
Slightly Unstable

Location: A spherical nickel-iron alloy in the middle of a nothingness of unknown quantity
Santos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by Brett
As a Mac user, I would suggest a long hard think before buying Mac at the moment. Apple is sidelining computer hardware quality controls while they concentrate on the iPhone and I don't expect them to get back on track until the phone has launched in all of Apple's target markets.
I've just spoken to one of my (numerous) contacts at Apple, who inform me this is complete and utter rubbish.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:05 PM

Thanks for all of your input so far, IoW particularly, massive thank you.

Brett, luckily I will be in Bluewater on Friday so I will take your advice and have a go in the Apple shop!

Please still feel free to voice your opinions on the Mac or other laptops; although i am swaying towards Apple due to feedback here and elsewhere, things may still change!

Old 07-11-2007, 09:32 PM
iMember

cumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningcumbrian_eagles would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turning
Despite wanting to spend my life in IT and probably working with Windows all day long I've currently got a 2 year old iBook and if I had the money I'd have an iMac too. As suggested go and have a play in an Apple Store (if you can fight your way towards one that isn't being used by a chav on youtube or hotmail ), its a good job there isn't a Apple Store near me or I'd never be out of it! I'm amongst a large group of mac users ranging from a 3.5 year old powerbook upto a iMac which is less than a year old and not one person has had a problem with them and most are looking at laptop/desktop companion from the mac range too.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:11 PM
Binned by Muderators

Quote:
Originally posted by Santos-er
I've just spoken to one of my (numerous) contacts at Apple, who inform me this is complete and utter rubbish.
Not likely to admit it, are they?