Home | Forums | Galleries | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum

Notices

Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum All things computer, internet, mobile, tablet and video game related.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:22 PM

CoolHandFlex is walloping Brighton 5-0CoolHandFlex is walloping Brighton 5-0CoolHandFlex is walloping Brighton 5-0CoolHandFlex is walloping Brighton 5-0CoolHandFlex is walloping Brighton 5-0CoolHandFlex is walloping Brighton 5-0CoolHandFlex is walloping Brighton 5-0CoolHandFlex is walloping Brighton 5-0CoolHandFlex is walloping Brighton 5-0CoolHandFlex is walloping Brighton 5-0CoolHandFlex is walloping Brighton 5-0
.vob files

A have a few dvds made up of .vob, .ifo and .bup files and I want to put certain parts of each dvd onto a one new dvd.

When I double click the dvd files, I have inside each folder dvd movie files (.vob), dvd movie info (.ifo files) and backup files of the IFO (.bup files). Of the dvd movie files, I have 4 approx 1GB which I assume make up the bulk of the dvd. By using Nero Showcase Essentials to view each of these 4 sections, I decided which of these I wanted to keep e.g. 3 of the 4 and then added them in the Make A Dvd Video section of Nero. I then did the same thing with another dvd and burnt the lot to a dvd.

When putting the dvd into the PC it does not play though. Why is this ? Can a dvd-video not run on the 1GB dvd movie files alone - does it need other files to go with it i.e. some/all other .vob files or some/all of the .ifo/.bup files ?

Thanks if anyone can help.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:34 AM

CoolHandFlex is walloping Brighton 5-0CoolHandFlex is walloping Brighton 5-0CoolHandFlex is walloping Brighton 5-0CoolHandFlex is walloping Brighton 5-0CoolHandFlex is walloping Brighton 5-0CoolHandFlex is walloping Brighton 5-0CoolHandFlex is walloping Brighton 5-0CoolHandFlex is walloping Brighton 5-0CoolHandFlex is walloping Brighton 5-0CoolHandFlex is walloping Brighton 5-0CoolHandFlex is walloping Brighton 5-0
Anyone ?
Old 04-12-2007, 11:38 AM
Bombay Bad Boy

Dave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is here
Quote:
does it need other files to go with it i.e. some/all other .vob files or some/all of the .ifo/.bup files ?
In a word, yes.

You would need to reauthor the DVD to do what you want to do.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
In a word, yes.

You would need to reauthor the DVD to do what you want to do.
How do I do that ? Nero ? And how do I know what extra files to add to make the dvd play ?
Old 04-12-2007, 08:08 PM

gingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
If you use vlc media player you can play .vob files. You would be better off ripping the files off as an .avi file then editing that using something like Nero movie maker or Adobe premier them burning the avi files to dvd or making a dvd video out of them. Nero can do this too.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gingerob
If you use vlc media player you can play .vob files. You would be better off ripping the files off as an .avi file then editing that using something like Nero movie maker or Adobe premier them burning the avi files to dvd or making a dvd video out of them. Nero can do this too.
What is vlc media player ?
How do you mean rip them off as an .avi file ? Make a data disc by just dragging and dropping the .vob files ? Not following the editing bit either. Sorry.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:21 PM

gingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Vlc media player is a fantastic player that seems to play everything including vobs. Ripping is a extracting video from a dvd and encoding it as a avi file. Once you have the avi file you can import that into an editing program like nero movie maker and edit it down to the footage you want and encoding it as an avi. Once you have a avis you want you can either burn them onto a disc as data and most pc players play them and some dvd players. Other wise using nero you can put them all on a video dvd which will play on most dvd players.
I hope that helps.
Old 05-12-2007, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Vlc media player is a fantastic player that seems to play everything including vobs. Ripping is a extracting video from a dvd and encoding it as a avi file. Once you have the avi file you can import that into an editing program like nero movie maker and edit it down to the footage you want and encoding it as an avi. Once you have a avis you want you can either burn them onto a disc as data and most pc players play them and some dvd players. Other wise using nero you can put them all on a video dvd which will play on most dvd players.
I hope that helps.
I dont think I have vlc media player I only have windows media player - does that matter ?

Going back to square 1, how do I rip the files to make an avi and then edit it using Nero ? All I did before was Make A DVD Video in Nero, add the vob files I wanted and then burnt to disc. The PC does not recognise the disc and neither does a standalone DVD player.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:23 PM

Christ i have been fiddling around with nero for about 2 hours now.

If I create a dvd video with the highest compression "super long play" or something just the .vob files on their own come to 6.14gb therefore too big for a single layer dvd.

If I am understanding you correctly to make an .avi I need to create a data disc so I selected this option in nero and dragged all the files in - they come to about 8gb so too big again.

What am I doing wrong here ? I am about to lob the pc out of the window.

Alternatively, is there another program other than dvd shrink that has better shrink capabilities ? It does not seem to be able to go below about 60% shrinkage.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:44 PM

Down load a ripping program such as super dvd ripper which will rip the video off into an avi file then go to nero and select movie maker you might need to select the advanced menu for that them once edited select make dvd video and add the edited avi files
Old 05-12-2007, 07:58 PM

Vlc media play is worth downloading mate. It's free and play anything. Google vlc media player and videolan or vlan which it the company that make it.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:14 PM
C. Palace 1 Oxford U. 0

hughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is here
dvd shrink will allow you to re-author the vob files to any length you want without having to trans-code to avi etc.

If you wish to follow a football club based on their success then you could not view yourself as a supporter ... you are merely a customer. - Mat ov CPFC.

Don't let anybody make you think that God chose America as his divine messianic force to be a sort of policeman of the whole world. God has a way of standing before the nations with judgement and it seems to me that I can hear God saying to America, "You are too arrogant." - Martin Luther King
Old 05-12-2007, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Vlc media play is worth downloading mate. It's free and play anything. Google vlc media player and videolan or vlan which it the company that make it.
If I only want to play the dvd on standalone dvd players do I really need vlc media player ? Nero Showtime Essentials will play the .vob files but my problem is getting on to a playable dvd.

"dvd shrink will allow you to re-author the vob files to any length you want without having to trans-code to avi etc."

That was the 1st thing I did before using Nero but when I drag both dvds into Shrink, strip away menus and extras etc and shrink file to smallest it will go it is still tool big for a 4.7gb dvd.

Last edited by CoolHandFlex; 05-12-2007 at 09:05 PM.