Home | Forums | Galleries | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum

Notices

Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum All things computer, internet, mobile, tablet and video game related.

Old 04-11-2015, 11:46 PM

Louis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Mac - unable to change folder names and locked folder (two separate issues)

Hi,

I use an iMac at home, it's a few years old running OS X v 10.6.8

Recently I've found I can't change the names of folders on the desktop. I'm sure I used to be able to do this

Separately, there's a back up folder that I made to back up a USB drive. It's 'Locked' and the Locked line is dimmed and I can't unlock it.

Any ideas please?
Old 05-11-2015, 06:29 PM
Rollercoaster rider

RednBlue : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRednBlue : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRednBlue : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRednBlue : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRednBlue : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRednBlue : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRednBlue : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRednBlue : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRednBlue : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRednBlue : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRednBlue : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Select folder, hit return, type new folder name

If that fails

Right click folder, 'get info', change in 'name and extension'.

Last edited by RednBlue; 05-11-2015 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:02 PM

Louis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by RednBlue View Post
Select folder, hit return, type new folder name

If that fails

Right click folder, 'get info', change in 'name and extension'.
I know how to it, problem is it no longer works (the setup does not allow me to edit folder names for some reason - it's as if the folder title is locked)

But - I've got a more serious problem with the iMac tonight (posting separately about it) so I'm not that bothered about this issue atm
Old 13-11-2015, 01:16 PM

UPDATE

So, I re-installed OS X from DVD and upgraded via Software Update - it's 10.6.8 now

Seems to be working fine now

BUT …

I still have the same problems with 'permissions'

e.g. from the Desktop -

can't create new folder
or change folder name

but can from inside 'Macintosh HD' volume

I'm not sure why

It seems I can write to the 'Macintosh HD' volume, but not to the desktop, although all items say 'You can read and write' on the Get Info window.

I can get by like this fine for now, but it's not ideal and I'd like to get things back to how they were, when I was freely able to write to different parts of the Mac
Old 13-11-2015, 02:09 PM
Binned by Muderators

Brett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBrett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBrett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBrett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBrett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBrett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBrett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBrett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBrett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBrett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBrett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 20-11-2015, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
To view the link you have to Register or Login
Thanks Brett. Tried this but no change unfortunately