Home | Forums | Galleries | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum

Notices

Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum All things computer, internet, mobile, tablet and video game related.

Old 19-12-2015, 10:08 AM
the lovely river mole

jolly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjolly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjolly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjolly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjolly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjolly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjolly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjolly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjolly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjolly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjolly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
stuck on ie now

building a server (IBM x226) installed a copy of XP pro I had lying around and I cannot get it to connect to the net properly it keeps telling me I have limited or no connectivity. I can go to bing but that's it
Old 19-12-2015, 10:18 AM

1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolly View Post
building a server (IBM x226) installed a copy of XP pro I had lying around and I cannot get it to connect to the net properly it keeps telling me I have limited or no connectivity. I can go to bing but that's it
Could be a plethora of reasons for this - normally network related. But looking at the software side first and bearing in mind XP Pro is officially To view the link you have to Register or Login - unsupported since early last year are you sure you want to be connecting to the net with it in the first place? If you still want to you may want to check the service pack level you have installed with - I would ensure you have SP3 installed first. You can download the offline installer for SP3 somewhere else and install there. Once you have that in place and still not connecting we can look at the network side.
Old 19-12-2015, 10:22 AM
the lovely river mole

jolly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjolly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjolly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjolly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjolly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjolly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjolly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjolly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjolly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjolly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjolly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Nope sp2 and I don't have any other Os lying around apart from win 7 which the sever won't support
If I could find an os to down load and set up even on evaluation I would but nothing seems to want to load
Old 19-12-2015, 10:32 AM

1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Nope sp2 and I don't have any other Os lying around apart from win 7 which the sever won't support
If I could find an os to down load and set up even on evaluation I would but nothing seems to want to load
The SP3 standalone download is just over 300mb from here To view the link you have to Register or Login - do you have another machine you can get that down from and add to usb key/cd and install locally on your machine, it will contain a wealth of updates plus you can get the latest version of IE when you download.

Leaving the software side alone and looking at the network, im assuming you can...

1.See your network adapter within device manager
2.Ping your default gateway (your router address)
Old 19-12-2015, 10:49 AM
the lovely river mole

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1905 View Post
The SP3 standalone download is just over 300mb from here To view the link you have to Register or Login - do you have another machine you can get that down from and add to usb key/cd and install locally on your machine, it will contain a wealth of updates plus you can get the latest version of IE when you download.

Leaving the software side alone and looking at the network, im assuming you can...

1.See your network adapter within device manager
2.Ping your default gateway (your router address)
yes I can do both of those it is telling me I have excellent signal to my router and am connected
Old 19-12-2015, 10:51 AM
the lovely river mole

downloading the service pack now
Old 19-12-2015, 11:22 AM
the lovely river mole

that has solved it thank you typing on thew server now !!
Old 19-12-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
that has solved it thank you typing on thew server now !!
Great stuff

Disclaimer: Although you are probably aware of the security issues with using XP on the internet - if you plan to keep using it would at least suggest using a limited (non-administrator) account if you are planning on browsing the net regularly with it to mitigate any potential issues
Old 19-12-2015, 11:44 AM
the lovely river mole

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1905 View Post
Great stuff

Disclaimer: Although you are probably aware of the security issues with using XP on the internet - if you plan to keep using it would at least suggest using a limited (non-administrator) account if you are planning on browsing the net regularly with it to mitigate any potential issues
will be a server sitting in the garage for music and video i may put vista over the top later