Home | Forums | Galleries | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum

Notices

Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum All things computer, internet, mobile, tablet and video game related.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:43 AM

Nigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Computers and Small Offices

Hi,

I run a small business - basically just myself and an administrator.

I am not at all PC savvy, but I need to find a way that we can share documents (PDF/Word/Excel) files between our 2 machines. I use a Compaq laptop and she has a Lenovo desktop.

Is there a relatively simple way to set up a shared drive between the 2 computers? I had looked at using a cloud and even signed up for one. Problem is that our business handles quite a lot of sensitive data and the cloud storage has to be based in UK for regulatory requirements. Secondly, the one I did sign up to through a company called Hosting Systems, wasn't overly user friendly insofar as all files were stored alphabetically, but if I wanted to access a file starting with X, I would have to scroll through thousands of others to get there.

If anyone has any options, including better UK based cloud systems, I would be very keen to hear.

Cheers,
Old 08-01-2016, 10:37 AM

topper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetopper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetopper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetopper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetopper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetopper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetopper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetopper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetopper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetopper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetopper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Synology nas.
It's a device that contains a hardrive or two. That allows you create your own cloud.
Attach it to the internet and run their software to create a secure connection and you can view your files from anywhere on the planet from your internet attached phone, tablet or PC.
They're not that lumpy in price either.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:41 AM
So then I says to Mabel

JamTheEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJamTheEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJamTheEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJamTheEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJamTheEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJamTheEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJamTheEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJamTheEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJamTheEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJamTheEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJamTheEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel_Scarfer View Post
Hi,

I run a small business - basically just myself and an administrator.

I am not at all PC savvy, but I need to find a way that we can share documents (PDF/Word/Excel) files between our 2 machines. I use a Compaq laptop and she has a Lenovo desktop.

Is there a relatively simple way to set up a shared drive between the 2 computers? I had looked at using a cloud and even signed up for one. Problem is that our business handles quite a lot of sensitive data and the cloud storage has to be based in UK for regulatory requirements. Secondly, the one I did sign up to through a company called Hosting Systems, wasn't overly user friendly insofar as all files were stored alphabetically, but if I wanted to access a file starting with X, I would have to scroll through thousands of others to get there.

If anyone has any options, including better UK based cloud systems, I would be very keen to hear.

Cheers,
NAS is the way to go.

Something like To view the link you have to Register or Login should be fine but no harm in shopping about dependent on the storage you need.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:07 PM

Nigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Thanks guys, that's brilliant.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:20 PM
Selhurst Heaven

chrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is here
If you have windows 7 onwards just create a homegroup and share a folder on your pc ! Easy and free !
Old 10-01-2016, 10:19 PM

Marki came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMarki came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMarki came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMarki came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMarki came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMarki came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMarki came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMarki came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMarki came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMarki came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMarki came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamTheEagle View Post
NAS is the way to go.

Something like To view the link you have to Register or Login should be fine but no harm in shopping about dependent on the storage you need.
If you opt for the Buffalo product just bear in mind that their support is decidedly average. One of the drives failed in my Buffalo Nas last week and it won't let me rebuild it. Very short on useful responses from their support people.

That said I have little to compare it to in that area. They might be exceptional!