Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 04-02-2018, 07:15 PM

Hadham Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHadham Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHadham Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHadham Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHadham Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHadham Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHadham Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHadham Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHadham Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHadham Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHadham Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorking .Eagle View Post
Yes, the old floodlights were a very much harsher bright light, and it was like looking at the sun - you could see them for ages after you looked away!
They were like that after being updated in 1971/2? If you looked up at them your were almost blinded for 5 mins
Old 06-02-2018, 10:52 PM

ian king is like ice, their footing does betrayian king is like ice, their footing does betrayian king is like ice, their footing does betrayian king is like ice, their footing does betrayian king is like ice, their footing does betrayian king is like ice, their footing does betrayian king is like ice, their footing does betrayian king is like ice, their footing does betrayian king is like ice, their footing does betrayian king is like ice, their footing does betrayian king is like ice, their footing does betray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadham Eagle View Post
They were like that after being updated in 1971/2? If you looked up at them your were almost blinded for 5 mins
When the new lights were installed in 71-72 time they were claimed to be the brightest then in the League (I'm sure that's quoted in a programme).
Old 07-02-2018, 06:58 PM
Eagle in the Borders

Slimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is here
I seem to remember it being said that they were the same lights as had recently been installed at Highbury - and were the brightest in Europe?
Old 27-05-2020, 08:44 AM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
A few old pics knocking about on twitter at the moment

v Chelsea, pre-season 1979

To view the link you have to Register or Login

"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 27-05-2020, 08:54 AM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
...and for a Charlton play-off game in 1987

Seeing the Old Stand like how I always remember it originally makes me particularly realise what a 'Triggers Broom' it really is. The roof was re-clad in the mid 1990s, Goldberg had the outside corrugated iron painted blue (so that would have been circa 1998), The seats were replaced with red and blue plastic ones circa 2013 and the white rear cladding 2014 or 2015?

As much as it is said to be 'lipstick on a pig', and we all like to be nostalgic about it, the combined works really have lifted the appearance of the Main Stand IMO as best as can be IMO, until such time as it can be replaced.

Plus in the 1987 one of the back of the stand, you can still see the Girls school!

Also always nice to see an old photo of the Whitehorse terrace as it was in the 1980s before Ron had it lengthened and seated.
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 27-05-2020, 09:10 AM

Maiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:

Think I went to that one ?

Palace won 5-0, didn't they ?
Old 27-05-2020, 09:22 AM
Collecting Palace tat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden Eagle View Post
Think I went to that one ?

Palace won 5-0, didn't they ?
Yes 5-0. And I believe the Championship trophy was presented on the pitch too.

Old 27-05-2020, 09:35 AM

wrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is here
Quote:

Dorking was that Jim cannons testimonial remember that being a big crowd biggest palace testimonial crowd I've seen.
Old 27-05-2020, 09:44 AM
Collecting Palace tat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightchipvcfc View Post
Dorking was that Jim cannons testimonial remember that being a big crowd biggest palace testimonial crowd I've seen.
No, that was Jim Cannon's Palace vs Vince Hilaire's Black player team.

Old 02-06-2020, 11:08 AM
Collecting Palace tat

4 from late 1990

Old 03-06-2020, 12:00 AM

jrnicholson came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjrnicholson came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjrnicholson came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjrnicholson came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjrnicholson came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjrnicholson came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjrnicholson came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjrnicholson came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjrnicholson came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjrnicholson came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjrnicholson came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP Satellite View Post
Now he tells me! Actually, I don’t think it would have made a difference, not even with one of those Parka jackets that every other kid had back in the early 70’s, Whitehorse Wall-itis meant you got a numb bum, blue fingers and and chattering teeth (I did wonder why I got such strange looks, come to think of it).

Also, not sure if anyone else remembers, but our old floodlights seemed to be even more powerful back in the day, if you looked directly at them for more than a second, you seemed to have the image of them burnt into your eyesight for the next 5 minutes!
Me and my cousin would have been sat on that wall too. Or we would squeeze our way down to the front to bang on the advertising hoardings. (My parka was traditional green cotton and I enviously yearned for a blue "snorkel" during some of those cold 0-0 games). My uncle always got there early and claimed our spot behind the wall in the centre, tucked into a corner where the stairs went down. My cousin now has a season ticket in about the same place; but never be as cold as that wall!
Old 08-07-2020, 02:54 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel
Old 08-07-2020, 03:13 AM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Pretty sure my cousin would have been at Lady Edridge in 1965 (My Dad and I used to go and pick her up from there most Fridays).

She's not one of those girls though. They look quite a bit older than she would have been in '65.
Old 08-07-2020, 03:20 AM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
I might have posted this before somewhere on here:

Old 08-07-2020, 03:27 AM
The Spiky One

I just found this one on their Facebook site... clearly shows the wonderful grassy knoll and wonky stairs to get onto The Holmesdale Terrace. Personally didn't use this side much (came in from Park Road), but the few times I did, it was pretty bad looking... and stank of piss!

Old 08-07-2020, 06:19 AM
Balding Eagle

Palace Dan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Dan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Dan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Dan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Dan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Dan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Dan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Dan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Dan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Dan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Dan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
I just found this one on their Facebook site... clearly shows the wonderful grassy knoll and wonky stairs to get onto The Holmesdale Terrace. Personally didn't use this site much (came in from Park Road), but the few times I did, it was pretty bad looking... and stank of piss!

Wow - It is amazing to see the difference between the ground now and then!
Old 08-07-2020, 10:30 AM

Gazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Used to bunk over the metal fence on a spot almost diagonally opposite The Clifton pub and play football at weekends and school holidays on that grass the girls are on in the above photos. This would have been between 1975 and 1978. Also used the tennis courts shown in above photo.
Occasionally an errant shot would fly over the fence and into the service road behind the main stand. By then the wooden fence in above photo had been replaced by one made of concrete pillars and hard slabs between the pillars. We were small enough to slip under the bottom of the fence into the Service road to go fetch our ball rather than having to go all the way around.
Old 08-07-2020, 06:03 PM

big bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
... clearly shows the wonderful grassy knoll

You've been reading too many Kennedy conspiracy theory books Hedgehog
Very good pics
Old 09-07-2020, 06:40 AM
like a shot in the dark

CP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is here
Going through the newspaper archives whilst researching the CPFC 1861 claim, South Norwood featured quite often in the story, even though Palace obviously played up the hill in Upper Norwood until being forced out of CP Park in 1915.

Here is a report from an irate Croydon resident at the state of the location that we came to know and love as Selhurst Park from 1924 - known back in Victorian times as Collis’ Brickfield:

Norwood News Feb 16th 1884

That old chestnut of ‘Selhurst Park’ being a difficult place to get to was evidently an issue in the days of horse drawn carts!

Collis (or Colley’s - as it was known locally) Brickfield was certainly a grim place - quite apart from the dust, smoke and generally dirty process of manufacturing bricks, several local children are reported to have climbed over the fences either side of Whitehorse Lane, Clifton Road and Park Road into the brickworks and were drowned in the various ponds that were used in the cooling the bricks after firing - there was also a report of a rather bizarre suicide of a man on his wedding day and the body of a newborn baby found discarded in the works in a paper bag, several weeks unnoticed - there were several fatalities throughout the 50 years or so the Brickfield were in use up to the First War.

The London, Brighton and South Coast Rsilway, which coincidentally also owned the land where the original Palace ground was built as well as The Nest at Selhurst, accquired the land and sold it on to CPFC in the early 1920’s
Old 09-07-2020, 01:50 PM

Gazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Thanks for that.
I didn't know anything about the history of the brickworks other than it has been a brickworks.

I do know that the reason the road opposite the clock tower is so wide (Oliver Grove) is that there was a gate across the road as it was originally a private estate.