Home | Forums | Galleries | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 29-12-2018, 11:05 AM
Old and jaded

davech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by strolling bones View Post
Had a few lucky escapes over the years so I'm expecting a slow painful one to put the ying back in the yang. Death itself doesn't worry me , I just don't want my family to have to.see it . Going in my sleep after a palace win would be ideal .
I'm with you 100% on this.
Old 30-12-2018, 05:03 PM
Vermontster

mrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
As a builder/handyman you might appreciate this.

Lay a tape measure out on the ground and take a look at the numbers. Note where your current age is (i.e. 65 inches) and then note where 80 inches is.

It really puts things into perspective.
Erm...thanks, but are you saying I’ve got until I’m 80?

Racism is man's gravest threat to men - the maximum of hatred from the minimum of reason.
Abraham J. Herschel, Jewish theologian and philosopher

be nice to me...I have considerable rep power!
Old 31-12-2018, 04:21 AM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Mother-in Law being Jewish, we have been aiming for the 48 hour burial thing, but virtually impossible. Getting it done tomorrow, which will be just over 72 hours from time of death. How come it takes so long in England to have the funeral (non Jewish)?

Have to say due to the time of year, it has been bloody hard work, what with having to clear out her accommodation at the Assisted Living facility she lived at before the end of the month, which is what I've been doing all day, then getting our house ready for after funeral visitors.

I (and my wife) are running on adrenaline right now, and just want this over so we can get on with life. Selfish I know, but their you go.
Old 31-12-2018, 04:23 AM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgins View Post
Whatever you want... look at 100 inches... you are sill closer to that than zero!
Old 31-12-2018, 05:52 AM
Thinking

Bintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Just back from a funeral. Daughter of a close friend of my wife died in her sleep at age 36. All very unexpected. Her mother didn't stop crying and her aunt fainted. It's not something you expect to do - bury your children.

Looking around the recent graves, there was only one older than me

So many died in their 40's and 50's.
Old 01-01-2019, 05:32 AM
The Spiky One

Had the funeral today... all went very well. Nice afters at our house.

Having had my second open casket experience, I can honestly say I don't see the point. Even someone passing in there sleep does not look good. I'm not squeamish about it, I just don't see what it adds, as despite their best efforts the person looks dead!

Oh well, not my call.

Also very much a business orientated experience having to settle up with my credit card prior to the service! Kept my wife (the deceased daughter) out of the picture. Even the Rabbi was happy to pocket her check prior to the service.

I guess I could say something derogatory about Jews, but I have nothing to compare this with, although I don't recall this cold-hearted approach with both my (Christian) parents funerals.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:03 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Glad it’s all over for you anyway Hedgehog. There’s always that horrible knot in the stomach and stress between a loved ones death and funeral. Yes, the whole ‘business’ of trying to get as much money as you can out of people in their moment of dispair is a very distasteful one I find. The prices of funerals are getting higher and higher.

Know what you mean about open casket. My dad didn’t have one but we could visit him before the funeral at the funeral home. My mum did but I refused. Having seen others in this situation I really didn’t want to see my dad like that and have that memory of him seared in my brain for evermore. Of course, was advised that i might regret it but it’s a very personal decision and I have to say I haven’t regretted it one bit. A very close friend said she’d seen her dead mum in this situation and dearly wished she hadn’t as the memory left her with nightmares for a long time.

It’s an odd thing when you see someone like that. I’m not religious but it does appear like the soul/spirit/light of the person has gone. I know some say they look like they’re just sleeping but they don’t to me. They just look like a vessel - a wax work model of the person. They are not there anymore.

What a pleasant post to start the New Year off with.

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel
Old 01-01-2019, 08:00 AM

SE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
Glad it’s all over for you anyway Hedgehog. There’s always that horrible knot in the stomach and stress between a loved ones death and funeral. Yes, the whole ‘business’ of trying to get as much money as you can out of people in their moment of dispair is a very distasteful one I find. The prices of funerals are getting higher and higher.

Know what you mean about open casket. My dad didn’t have one but we could visit him before the funeral at the funeral home. My mum did but I refused. Having seen others in this situation I really didn’t want to see my dad like that and have that memory of him seared in my brain for evermore. Of course, was advised that i might regret it but it’s a very personal decision and I have to say I haven’t regretted it one bit. A very close friend said she’d seen her dead mum in this situation and dearly wished she hadn’t as the memory left her with nightmares for a long time.

It’s an odd thing when you see someone like that. I’m not religious but it does appear like the soul/spirit/light of the person has gone. I know some say they look like they’re just sleeping but they don’t to me. They just look like a vessel - a wax work model of the person. They are not there anymore.

What a pleasant post to start the New Year off with.
Yes have to agree with this. I cannot see the benefit in relatives seeing your dead corpse, and certainly I wouldn't want my kids to see mine.

The body is not the person we knew. It is the memory of them alive that is important, and one that will live on in this way. Why should the last memory of your loved ones be a decaying corpse?
Old 01-01-2019, 08:07 AM

thereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by foresthillbilly View Post
Death. It brings out the best and worst of surviving family and friends
Fortunately/unfortunately it does .
Old 01-01-2019, 08:33 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by foresthillbilly View Post
Death. It brings out the best and worst of surviving family and friends
Yes, has a way of sorting out the wheat from the chaff I find.

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel
Old 01-01-2019, 09:22 AM
techno sapiens

the drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by SE25 exile View Post
Yes have to agree with this. I cannot see the benefit in relatives seeing your dead corpse, and certainly I wouldn't want my kids to see mine.

The body is not the person we knew. It is the memory of them alive that is important, and one that will live on in this way. Why should the last memory of your loved ones be a decaying corpse?
I’m with you Bubbs and SE25, no matter how hard they try at the end of the day it is a corpse and not the person you knew, and that last image you have on someone close is seared into you.

When my half brother was cremated they did not let me see him beforehand because of the 3 week delay to the funeral service. It is a long story but I had never met him and was the only family member to attend his funeral. It is fair to say that I had and have regrets about not catching up with him in life, but I wanted to see him as he was but they refused. Maybe it was for the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIMGb0p9hrQ
Old 01-01-2019, 09:35 AM

ob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I take the piss out a guy at work who is a nice bloke but completely paranoid so every little ache and pain or cough or sneeze is stressed over and assumed serious and he goes running off to doctors convinced he is dying, and somehow gets sent off for tests for all sorts.
I am the complete opposite and rarely go to docs haven't seen one for a something close to 15 years at a guess, have had 4 days off sick in last 12 years in current job.Everone reckons i am so lucky to be in such great health which in someways is true but i also think its a difference in mindset,i get ill but as i work largely alone(my coughing and spluttering effects no one else) and outside i tend to feel its often better for me to be in the fresh air and get on the best i can.I get aches and pains and twinges but always assume its **** all and will go.
I joke with this matey that i will probably suddenly drop dead one day and it will turn out in fact i was slowly dieing of every disease and cancer etc that this fool has ever even thought he could have and i could have saved myself if only i was more like him!
Old 01-01-2019, 10:53 AM
Werkself

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
Agree about the casket thing. One of our sisters lived in Spain so didn't make it over before Mum died so she went to the funeral directors, always remember her saying it looked like Mum but not. My brother also didn't want to go back in to the hospital room as he wanted to have better memories.

All of my sisters were out the country when Dad passed so went to visit when they arrived back, again it wasn't quite the same by all accounts.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:58 AM
A source of real news

Skintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
That's how I view it. Few people (and there are some at my golf club) are fit enough to make anything of life after 80.

So as I see it you need get things that you want to do done before then. The idea of slowing down in retirement is a false one. You need to get on with life, there may be no tomorrow.
Old 01-01-2019, 11:01 AM
A source of real news

Skintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ob13 View Post
I take the piss out a guy at work who is a nice bloke but completely paranoid so every little ache and pain or cough or sneeze is stressed over and assumed serious and he goes running off to doctors convinced he is dying, and somehow gets sent off for tests for all sorts.
I am the complete opposite and rarely go to docs haven't seen one for a something close to 15 years at a guess, have had 4 days off sick in last 12 years in current job.Everone reckons i am so lucky to be in such great health which in someways is true but i also think its a difference in mindset,i get ill but as i work largely alone(my coughing and spluttering effects no one else) and outside i tend to feel its often better for me to be in the fresh air and get on the best i can.I get aches and pains and twinges but always assume its **** all and will go.
I joke with this matey that i will probably suddenly drop dead one day and it will turn out in fact i was slowly dieing of every disease and cancer etc that this fool has ever even thought he could have and i could have saved myself if only i was more like him!
Don't let anything go. So many things can be fixed if caught in time.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:50 PM
Vermontster

mrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
Whatever you want... look at 100 inches... you are sill closer to that than zero!
You, my friend, are just a bundle of fun!

Racism is man's gravest threat to men - the maximum of hatred from the minimum of reason.

Old 01-01-2019, 09:58 PM
Vermontster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintagain View Post
That's how I view it. Few people (and there are some at my golf club) are fit enough to make anything of life after 80.

So as I see it you need get things that you want to do done before then. The idea of slowing down in retirement is a false one. You need to get on with life, there may be no tomorrow.
True. Our parents generation would retire and relax, but I think you need a schedule that gives you the impetus to get out of bed and do something worthwhile

Old 01-01-2019, 10:02 PM

Isle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is here
Quote:
You, my friend, are just a bundle of fun!
If I wasn't depressed before I am now I read that from Hedgehog. I think also the older you get, the more of your peers/TV/Music/clebs die, so its like a slow wave catching us all up. If you swim faster you live longer, some have it crash on them far to young, but it gets bigger and bigger each year. Damm you Mr Hedgehog for making me so morose.

Member of the Magnificent 16
29th May 2004
Member of the Magnificent 1007
22nd May 2006
Member of the Magnificent 33000
27th May 2013
Member of the Strange Aircraft Clique
16th December 2018
Old 01-01-2019, 10:17 PM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
Watched a fascinating programme on BBC2 yesterday about Raymond Briggs. Those familiar with his books will be aware he isn't afraid to deal with death in them; this was brought out well. And he continues to draw, though at 84 years old not as much as he used to.

On a personal note it's interesting to read some of the preceeding comments. I'm 70, been retired for over 10 years and am nowhere near getting bored with retirement.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:33 PM

SE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskin Old Boy View Post
Watched a fascinating programme on BBC2 yesterday about Raymond Briggs. Those familiar with his books will be aware he isn't afraid to deal with death in them; this was brought out well. And he continues to draw, though at 84 years old not as much as he used to.

On a personal note it's interesting to read some of the preceeding comments. I'm 70, been retired for over 10 years and am nowhere near getting bored with retirement.
I enjoyed the Briggs programme and the full length film beforehand which was essentially his autobiography. Personally, I think he has been obsessed by his own mortality and so much of his work is rather sad and depressing, although beautifully portrayed through his art.