Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 25-05-2019, 08:39 AM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
I do wonder if the posters who slag off Steve Parish have ever run a business or even been self-employed?
Old 25-05-2019, 08:42 AM

thereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
I do wonder if the posters who slag off Steve Parish have ever run a business or even been self-employed?
I’ll have a guess .......... not a ******* chance .
Old 25-05-2019, 09:36 AM
Selhurst Heaven

chrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Wooden Fish On Wheels View Post
That's a lot of responsibility to shoulder.

Defin-ate-ly (Clinton voice)
Old 25-05-2019, 10:30 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
I do wonder if the posters who slag off Steve Parish have ever run a business?
I wonder if they’ve even run a bath to be fair.

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel
Old 25-05-2019, 10:45 AM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
Surely it's a little patronising to dismiss people who are critical of Steve Parish as moronic keyboard warriors who are failures in their own life?

For the record, although I don't warm to him at all (really don't get all this 'seems like a top bloke' stuff from some quarters), I think he's clearly done an excellent job overall. But there are elements of his decision making and profile / persona which are at least worthy of debate and questioning.
Old 25-05-2019, 11:04 AM
chubby browns joke writer

strolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
I doubt that as well in some cases .

I'm not perfect i'm Palace, which is like perfect... plus awesome !
Old 25-05-2019, 11:22 AM
Call me Ishmael

ebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipe View Post
.... But there are elements of his decision making and profile / persona which are at least worthy of debate and questioning.
I think most posters are fine with that and acknowledge the errors made. It's more a small selection of idiots who use any stick or angle to attack Parish without a single positive word to say. They write off anything good as luck.
Old 25-05-2019, 11:38 AM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
I don’t think doctors, cops, cashiers, shelf stackers or teachers are failures in their own lives, either. I just think that anyone who has run a business or worked for themselves will at least respect the way Parish runs the Palace business. Doesn’t mean he hasn’t and doesn’t make mistakes, but he does seem to try to confront them, learn from them and rectify them. He has a set of principles and tenets and they’re pretty apparent, and I think they often coincide with what most of us want from our club.
Not arguing with having a thread debating it - I just find the wild attacks on his tenure absolutely ridiculous. I wouldn’t change him for any other chairman we’ve had in my lifetime, or any other current chairman - even / especially one who would lend tons of money to the club for a quick win. Not even one who shared my political views, dress sense and music taste, and pert, petite proboscis.
Old 25-05-2019, 12:02 PM

adrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is here
Quote:
I don’t think doctors, cops, cashiers, shelf stackers or teachers are failures in their own lives, either. I just think that anyone who has run a business or worked for themselves will at least respect the way Parish runs the Palace business. Doesn’t mean he hasn’t and doesn’t make mistakes, but he does seem to try to confront them, learn from them and rectify them. He has a set of principles and tenets and they’re pretty apparent, and I think they often coincide with what most of us want from our club.
Not arguing with having a thread debating it - I just find the wild attacks on his tenure absolutely ridiculous. I wouldn’t change him for any other chairman we’ve had in my lifetime, or any other current chairman - even / especially one who would lend tons of money to the club for a quick win. Not even one who shared my political views, dress sense and music taste, and pert, petite proboscis.
Me too. I think from a business perspective he is supremely good, supremely good.

I am not sycophantic by nature but I am slightly in awe of how good he is, and I think you probably need to have run businesses to understand, or rather appreciate, that.

That is not to say others are stupid, but its the same as like unless you are a Doctor you can't really understand the life or death decisions they have to make or a solider having fought in a war, or a miner down the pits etc
Old 25-05-2019, 12:20 PM
we are one

Crystal Glitter is like ice, their footing does betrayCrystal Glitter is like ice, their footing does betrayCrystal Glitter is like ice, their footing does betrayCrystal Glitter is like ice, their footing does betrayCrystal Glitter is like ice, their footing does betrayCrystal Glitter is like ice, their footing does betrayCrystal Glitter is like ice, their footing does betrayCrystal Glitter is like ice, their footing does betrayCrystal Glitter is like ice, their footing does betrayCrystal Glitter is like ice, their footing does betrayCrystal Glitter is like ice, their footing does betray
Quote:
Old 25-05-2019, 12:50 PM

Am Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is here
But....there is no getting away from the likelihood that when we are relegated again the club, facilities, youth set up and comfort wise, will not seem much different at all to how it was back in 2010.

For a club to have seen somewhere between £1billion and £2billion in turnover when the drop does happen and to not have improved much off the pitch then the boss must be scrutinised, surely?

It's going to seem like a very big missed opportunity/failure looking back. We've only been a top division club for 20 seasons out of 115 since our birth. The dosh won't be around forever.
Old 25-05-2019, 01:04 PM
Watching from Warmington

Big Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Am Phibian View Post
But....there is no getting away from the likelihood that when we are relegated again the club, facilities, youth set up and comfort wise, will not seem much different at all to how it was back in 2010.

For a club to have seen somewhere between £1billion and £2billion in turnover when the drop does happen and to not have improved much off the pitch then the boss must be scrutinised, surely?

It's going to seem like a very big missed opportunity/failure looking back. We've only been a top division club for 20 seasons out of 115 since our birth. The dosh won't be around forever.
We have a heavily revamped training ground and now have an academy site right next door about to be redeveloped. These are major investments which are not easy in the highly residentialised south east, which is the same issue holding up the ground development.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19232019
Old 25-05-2019, 01:33 PM

Yoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is here
Quote:

Thing is...most of the money flows straight back out again in players’ increased salaries and transfers. Many chairmen have said the same.

Now you could say that Parish shouldn’t match EPL salaries and spend on facilities, but if he’d done that we would have lost our best players within 1-2 seasons as the other Premier clubs swooped for them. We’d have no Wilf, Cabaye, Sakho, Townsend, no loans of RLC or Michy etc etc.

We’d have been down long ago.

The other way to create ‘spare’ funds for facilities is to sell a player at a profit...as per Southampton for example. I’m sure if they’d had Wilf then they’d have sold him by now.

It’s a difficult balance.
Old 25-05-2019, 01:40 PM
Snidey little rat.

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post

The BBS - Where Briighton trolls have imaginary lawyers.
Old 25-05-2019, 03:40 PM
XXVII

little al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is here
Quote:
Can't argue with any of that, top post.
Old 25-05-2019, 03:56 PM

CPFC.1990 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC.1990 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC.1990 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC.1990 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC.1990 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC.1990 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC.1990 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC.1990 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC.1990 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC.1990 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC.1990 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
To be fair I don't think you can compare any type of work to running a football club. It's a totally different beast.

I think a lot of chairman do it out of love rather than to make money.
Old 25-05-2019, 04:15 PM

Harry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is here
He has learnt as he has gone along making some mistakes which really had little to do with business acumen or not, Compared to some he has been a very good chairman in my view bettered only by one other.

I suspect he likes a bit of fame more than some chairman but not sure that justify's being critical of him, his love of the club is genuine and I doubt we would be in the premier league without him.
Old 25-05-2019, 05:36 PM

costello came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcostello came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcostello came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcostello came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcostello came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcostello came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcostello came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcostello came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcostello came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcostello came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcostello came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
If we’d had management continuity I’m sure Parish would have made better, quicker progress when it comes to facilities, youth and infrastructure.
Old 25-05-2019, 06:39 PM

palace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:

This turnover argument needs putting to bed, it’s nonsensical or at best naive. In today’s game most revenue at ALL clubs flows to players and agents. Sad but true. Check out Man City’s turn over to spend over the same period!

Also let’s not forget that we would not have received said turnover if we had not recruited a team that has kept us in the premier league for the longest period in our history.

So credit to SP in these crazy times to have secured the site for the academy which will ultimately allow us to achieve category A status... a significant upgrade.

Also SP has achieved planning permission and secured financing for a new main stand, something no chairman in the last 40 years in charge has been able to achieve. A few more hurdles with the major to resolve and work will commence.

There have been numerous incremental improvements around the ground every season. To say nothing has changed is simply not true.

I’m lucky enough to have met SP on numerous occasions. He is very open and honest that he feels he will not have left a legacy until the stand is built. With his determination I am convinced he will achieve this, a Sisyphean task!

Do not under estimate how much SP has and will achieve given very difficult circumstances.

BTW SJ v SP... no contest SP would run rings round and out smart SJ who far from the clever little sausage he thinks he is.

Last edited by palace_burger; 25-05-2019 at 11:29 PM.
Old 25-05-2019, 07:37 PM
Millsie02

Shipp Ahoy! came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShipp Ahoy! came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShipp Ahoy! came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShipp Ahoy! came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShipp Ahoy! came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShipp Ahoy! came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShipp Ahoy! came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShipp Ahoy! came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShipp Ahoy! came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShipp Ahoy! came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShipp Ahoy! came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Anyone who thinks there have been no changes to the facilities etc have clearly never moved from their own seat or looked about the ground - naturally you wont see the training ground mind.

I get the chance every season to get a bit of a walkabout as I officiate in the end of season corporate games Palace arrange. The facilities in several areas of the stadium, in particular the main stand and down the players areas (changing rooms etc) have had major redevelopments. They used to be almost Sunday league equivalent (refs room was seriously no better than Purley way a few years back) and while I doubt they rival City's/United etc at present are massive improvements.

The training ground has also had some major work done and massive upgrades in tech/facilities. The club has also recently invested in acquiring grounds to develop further including the academy, this all however takes time to gain approval and get work started - a little bit like the new stand which is happening, even if people with agenda's on here like to claim it won't.

In another 2-4 years the overall difference from before Parish will be simply remarkable and to say we haven't improved on thos at all is nonsense and again simply suits those with an agenda.