Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Other Sport » World of Football

Notices

World of Football All non Palace football talk - includes latest scores on Internationals and matches that affect palace.

Old 03-11-2019, 07:27 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Don’t wish to watch it in slow mo, but at the time I thought the injury might also have occurred from the collision with the second Spurs player who he then collided with.

I didn’t think it was a red card challenge...sometimes in sport people get horrible injuries and it’s not always someone’s fault.

That said, had I been Son, I would have asked to be subbed off anyway. I’d feel too distracted/upset to play on after being involved in that incident.
Yes, Son was chasing Gomez and appeared to clip the back of Gomez’s heel and he collided with a Spurs player which resulted in the injury.

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel
Old 03-11-2019, 08:01 PM

CP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
Yes, Son was chasing Gomez and appeared to clip the back of Gomez’s heel and he collided with a Spurs player which resulted in the injury.
I’m sure Aurier didn’t mean for anything like that to happen, but he does love a shocking challenge. Such a donkey.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:34 PM

meee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is here
Once again a game overshadowed by how ridiculous the decisions are and the process of making them.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:59 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here

Fans reaction to incident

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel
Old 03-11-2019, 10:03 PM
Only One Dougie Freedman

GrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCOOLSTEVE View Post
Cause he originally had a yellow out for Son and was wayed by emotion and changed it to a red after seeing the injury - despite it being caused by Aurier
Yet VAR still deemed the Red card acceptable as it looked at it and did not change the refs decision. Even explained after why it was a red.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:25 PM

alexcpfc Sam the man is herealexcpfc Sam the man is herealexcpfc Sam the man is herealexcpfc Sam the man is herealexcpfc Sam the man is herealexcpfc Sam the man is herealexcpfc Sam the man is herealexcpfc Sam the man is herealexcpfc Sam the man is herealexcpfc Sam the man is herealexcpfc Sam the man is here
That was never in a million years a red card. It was one of those freak incidents. Very sad incident for all those involved. Hope Gomes makes a full recovery.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:27 AM
Puncheon above our weight

sydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is here
I think even if he kept it at a yellow Son wouldn’t have been able to continue. He was completely distraught

Unfortunate incident for all three involved. Hope Gomes is able to recover
Old 04-11-2019, 07:50 AM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney eagle View Post
I think even if he kept it at a yellow Son wouldn’t have been able to continue. He was completely distraught

Unfortunate incident for all three involved. Hope Gomes is able to recover
Yeah, I suspect you're right, but at least Spurs would have had 11 players on the pitch when Everton equalised.

Son is a snidey cheat who hides behind this 'he's such a happy, lovely guy' image. It was interesting to hear on MOTD2 that the extent of the injury affected the colour of the card.
Old 04-11-2019, 01:08 PM

M3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietM3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietM3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietM3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietM3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietM3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietM3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietM3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietM3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietM3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietM3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Which it should never do.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:12 PM

chateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is here
Funny how he gets sent off for that whereas Zabaleta, Knockheart, Dawson, Grujic et al stay on.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:13 PM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
To view the link you have to Register or Login

Klopp - "I can say Sadio is not a diver. There was a situation in the Aston Villa game where he got contact and went down, maybe it was not a penalty but there was contact. It's not as if he jumped over a leg and went down."

This whole 'if there is any contact at all then the forward is entitled to fall down in whatever artificial & theatrical manner he fancies' bollocks is the biggest nonsense in football at the moment. Why does no one call these managers out? Son was the same yesterday & it's not the first, second or third time with these two. They're a ******* disgrace.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:22 PM
Only One Dougie Freedman

GrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Eagle View Post
Which it should never do.
Hmmm, not sure I 100% agree here.

Plenty of players have suffered horrific injuries due to the snidey, cowardly tackles that preceded them.

Whilst an injury shouldn't be the sole reason the card is yellow or red, the manner in which the foul has caused the injury should be taken into account. Son deliberately kicked him, and the player has now snapped his ankle because of it. He didn't damage his ankle with the foul, but the resulting fall from a deliberate kick has done. That needs to be stamped out, and whether you like it or not, Son has caused that injury to Andres Gomes.

Another example is when players that push the opposition when the ball goes out of play only needs for a player to stumble and smack his head and all manner of shit could happen.

It's a tough one and as I say, I'm not even sure myself if I 100% agree with either view.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:27 PM
Old and jaded

davech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympian2 View Post

Klopp - "I can say Sadio is not a diver. There was a situation in the Aston Villa game where he got contact and went down, maybe it was not a penalty but there was contact. It's not as if he jumped over a leg and went down."

This whole 'if there is any contact at all then the forward is entitled to fall down in whatever artificial & theatrical manner he fancies' bollocks is the biggest nonsense in football at the moment. Why does no one call these managers out? Son was the same yesterday & it's not the first, second or third time with these two. They're a ******* disgrace.
Klopp ist ein Arschloch. Trouble is, because of who he is and who manages, people listen. It cannot be justified. Not every contact is a foul or a penalty. I have said it before and I will continue to say it. A player doesn't "have the right to fall over" whenever they feel the slightest contact. If that ever becomes the case then football is finished.

We had better not even breathe on that Br*ght*n kid Connolly when we play them.

Last edited by davech; 04-11-2019 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:39 PM

M3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietM3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietM3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietM3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietM3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietM3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietM3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietM3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietM3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietM3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietM3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayP41ace View Post
Hmmm, not sure I 100% agree here.

Plenty of players have suffered horrific injuries due to the snidey, cowardly tackles that preceded them.

Whilst an injury shouldn't be the sole reason the card is yellow or red, the manner in which the foul has caused the injury should be taken into account. Son deliberately kicked him, and the player has now snapped his ankle because of it. He didn't damage his ankle with the foul, but the resulting fall from a deliberate kick has done. That needs to be stamped out, and whether you like it or not, Son has caused that injury to Andres Gomes.

Another example is when players that push the opposition when the ball goes out of play only needs for a player to stumble and smack his head and all manner of shit could happen.

It's a tough one and as I say, I'm not even sure myself if I 100% agree with either view.
I understand the point, but if injury was the main consideration lots of very poor challenges would only be a yellow card because fortunately most dangerous tackles do not result in serious injury. I think how reckless a challenge is and how much intent have to be the main factors whether or not an injury occurs because of it.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:50 PM
Only One Dougie Freedman

Quote:
I understand the point, but if injury was the main consideration lots of very poor challenges would only be a yellow card because fortunately most dangerous tackles do not result in serious injury. I think how reckless a challenge is and how much intent have to be the main factors whether or not an injury occurs because of it.
Agreed. Not the main consideration as such, but deliberately kicking a player, with no intent to get the ball that results in a career altering injury should carry some weight in the decision.

If Son has stood at a throw in and took a deliberate swipe, he’d have been off in a shot, with Gomes carrying on as normal, but a deliberate kick in play results in a yellow and nay cost him his career. As I said, I’m still not sure, but it does seem backwards in some respects.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:59 PM
C. Palace 1 Oxford U. 0

hughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is here
To view the link you have to Register or Login - two quotes:
1. "TV replays suggested that Gomes suffered the injury after Son's tackle and before he collided with full-back Serge Aurier."
2. 'Explaining Atkinson's decision, the Premier League said: "The red card for Son was for endangering the safety of a player, which happened as a consequence of his initial challenge."'
Either one of these show that it's clearly a red card: an intentional foul, committed without regard to the player's safety.
Just as bad for me is that the punishment doesn't fit the crime. A straight red is 1-3 games ban, while an unsuccessful appeal might lift it an extra game (or two, iirc.) Yet because of the nature of the injury, Gomes is likely to be out for probably the rest of the season. IMO, Son should be out too until Gomes returns.

If you wish to follow a football club based on their success then you could not view yourself as a supporter ... you are merely a customer. - Mat ov CPFC.

Don't let anybody make you think that God chose America as his divine messianic force to be a sort of policeman of the whole world. God has a way of standing before the nations with judgement and it seems to me that I can hear God saying to America, "You are too arrogant." - Martin Luther King
Old 05-11-2019, 06:38 AM
A gift

CarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympian2 View Post

Totally agree. It's like living in a parallel universe watching football at the moment. Mane gets touched and throws himself on the floor in a completely unnatural way, the ref can't wait to give a penalty and you've got former hardmen like Souness and Carragher passionately arguing it's a penalty because they've paused the footage and found the faintest of connections. Many fans are also happily buying into the myth that any contact justifies diving. For balance (pun intended), I'd like to see Sky add a physicist to the panel to analyse such regular defiance of physical law.
Old 05-11-2019, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughff View Post
To view the link you have to Register or Login - two quotes:
1. "TV replays suggested that Gomes suffered the injury after Son's tackle and before he collided with full-back Serge Aurier."
2. 'Explaining Atkinson's decision, the Premier League said: "The red card for Son was for endangering the safety of a player, which happened as a consequence of his initial challenge."'
Either one of these show that it's clearly a red card: an intentional foul, committed without regard to the player's safety.
Just as bad for me is that the punishment doesn't fit the crime. A straight red is 1-3 games ban, while an unsuccessful appeal might lift it an extra game (or two, iirc.) Yet because of the nature of the injury, Gomes is likely to be out for probably the rest of the season. IMO, Son should be out too until Gomes returns.
On that basis the majority of fouls would be red cards. Every tackle, fair or otherwise has the potential to seriously injure the opponent but that doesn't mean there is intent to do so.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosTheFinger View Post
Totally agree. It's like living in a parallel universe watching football at the moment. Mane gets touched and throws himself on the floor in a completely unnatural way, the ref can't wait to give a penalty and you've got former hardmen like Souness and Carragher passionately arguing it's a penalty because they've paused the footage and found the faintest of connections. Many fans are also happily buying into the myth that any contact justifies diving. For balance (pun intended), I'd like to see Sky add a physicist to the panel to analyse such regular defiance of physical law.
Cheers divey-boys

Last edited by Olympian2; 05-11-2019 at 03:07 PM.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:58 AM
C. Palace 1 Oxford U. 0

hughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is here
Quote:
On that basis the majority of fouls would be red cards. Every tackle, fair or otherwise has the potential to seriously injure the opponent but that doesn't mean there is intent to do so.
If they are, as I said, this: "an intentional foul, committed without regard to the player's safety" then why not - deliberately cheating and reckless is indefensible.

If you wish to follow a football club based on their success then you could not view yourself as a supporter ... you are merely a customer. - Mat ov CPFC.

Don't let anybody make you think that God chose America as his divine messianic force to be a sort of policeman of the whole world. God has a way of standing before the nations with judgement and it seems to me that I can hear God saying to America, "You are too arrogant." - Martin Luther King