Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Other Sport » World of Sport

Notices

World of Sport Discuss all other sport. Includes betting and gambling threads.

Old 14-02-2017, 09:49 AM

cantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Murphy's Fringe View Post
Thanks for the views.

Interesting about injuries, as instinctively I though that less time pounding along would reduce the risk. I have never been as attentive as I should be with warming up / down, particularly when I only used treadmills - when I become more focussed on the times/distances. No surprise I hurt my hammy and it still gets a bit sore now, two years later!

I think I'll stick with it for a few weeks and see what happens.

Building the base I think comes before the intervals - in the gym I warm up on the cross trainer for 10 mins before I go on the treadmill and have been using the treadmill quite a bit since I was ill. Instead of warming down do stretches as that prevents injuries - hard to do when the weather is bad. There is a simple hamstring stretch you can do lying on your back extending your leg in the air with toes pointing upwards with other leg flat and straight against the floor. Hands around the hamstring on the leg in the air and gently pull - then change legs - video on YouTube
Old 14-02-2017, 11:47 AM
Four-eyed shark hunter

Chief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is here
Quote:
Thanks for the views.

Interesting about injuries, as instinctively I though that less time pounding along would reduce the risk. I have never been as attentive as I should be with warming up / down, particularly when I only used treadmills - when I become more focussed on the times/distances. No surprise I hurt my hammy and it still gets a bit sore now, two years later!

I think I'll stick with it for a few weeks and see what happens.
My understanding is that many recreational runners have little or no structure to their training (i.e. types of run, distance, pacing, supplementary exercise etc) and that is borne out of not having a clear understanding of what their goals are.

No clear goals, mean no focused training objectives, which increases the chance of not achieving what you want. That results in demotivation.

If you know what your goal(s) is/are, ask yourself whether HIIT running helps you to achieve them? If not, you need to tailor your training to meet those goals and drop the HIIT. That would be the basis for me to decide whether to continue or drop it.

Each run I undertake has clear objectives in improving aerobic capacity, anaerobic threshold, leg speed or endurance. The results of which I measure on semi-regular basis to determine progress. I also log each run and training session to help me monitor improvement.

I freely admit that may seem too onerous for some, but for me, the tangible improvement I have made in 8 months is down to the focus and discipline of a dedicated schedule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro View Post
He isnt top class mate

He is a limited player who scores goals with his head
Re Benteke - 14 May 2017

Last edited by Chief Brody; 14-02-2017 at 12:27 PM.
Old 14-02-2017, 01:15 PM

Jerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is here
I quite agree, CB. I have been guilty of that when "going to the gym" and whilst getting sweaty - not really achieved a great deal.

Doing anything without an outcome in mind is, essentially, a redundant process(see Covey's 7 Habits, for more details)

In the last few years I have moved from using treadmills - as the only available option, when I gradually increased speed and distance. This was followed by a hiatus of a few months and then starting outdoor running with greater regularity and purpose about 2 years ago.

Being a "maths in your head" type I needed that arithmetic narrative while running; measuring distances, identifying variables and/or constants affecting run-times, calculating averages and new deciding new goals.

After the most recent work induced "off-season" I wondered whether the fixation on faster/longer was not helping me achieve my goal. Then I realised my goal was quite non-specific; "not look like an amorphous mound of blubber at my daughter's wedding". Having "work-shopped" that goal with my mates (well, a just me and a few gin and tonics) I thought I would take out the maths and adopt a chub-dispersal approach, hence HIITs.
The only flaw, presently, is how I will measure success. I might use the bathroom scales, but will probably rely on the more familiar cohort of success measures; belt-notches, shirt button propulsion when sitting down and evidence of pinchable folds where young people keep their six-packs.
Old 14-02-2017, 02:04 PM
Four-eyed shark hunter

Chief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is here
Yes, my goal was generally non-specific to start (lose weight, get fitter) but I did set a target of half-marathon completion within 4/5 months to give a needle-like focus. That gave me that clarity to structure my plan.

That plan has unsurprisingly evolved to get as near to a <20m 5k, <40m 10k and <1hr 45m HM by the end of the year. They are challenging targets for me but I do think at least the HM can be achieved, with the 5k a possibility. I think the 10k will be most challenging. My age and injury record counts against me also. Yet, those are the goals.

I largely follow the FIRST 3 runs training programme + 2 cross train sessions.

During the winter I dropped my interval training run for an additional crosstrain, but retained the medium tempo and long runs. My cross training involves swimming (20 lengths as at yesterday - I'm not particularly good at it), spinning and rowing (5+k).

When the nights are a little warmer I will re-introduce my interval run and drop a crosstrain.

Essentially I get the HIIT from spinning and can also from the rowing if required.

The trick for me is staying motivated! It would be interesting to see my reaction should I achieve my goals....

Quote:
He isnt top class mate

Re Benteke - 14 May 2017

Last edited by Chief Brody; 14-02-2017 at 02:07 PM.
Old 14-02-2017, 05:02 PM

cantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is here
Chief if you get under 20 mins for a 5k you will easily be under 1hr 45 for a half
Old 14-02-2017, 06:52 PM

Jerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is here
That is certainly a structured plan and I admire your focus, CB. Very interested in your final phrase about achievement. Without getting too existential, or slipping into management-ese, you will face a dilemma when you hit your target and I would give some mind to "what next" as you move through your successes.
Can you revert to "un-purposed" exercise? Can push out your distance? Should you start Morris dancing? I sincerely hope not.
But, keep me/us up to date with your progress, please.
Old 14-02-2017, 09:27 PM

Tom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantspell View Post
Chief if you get under 20 mins for a 5k you will easily be under 1hr 45 for a half
Absolutely. And a 40 minute 10K should see you close to 1.30 for a half.
Old 15-02-2017, 08:48 AM
Four-eyed shark hunter

Quote:
That is certainly a structured plan and I admire your focus, CB. Very interested in your final phrase about achievement. Without getting too existential, or slipping into management-ese, you will face a dilemma when you hit your target and I would give some mind to "what next" as you move through your successes.
Can you revert to "un-purposed" exercise? Can push out your distance? Should you start Morris dancing? I sincerely hope not.
But, keep me/us up to date with your progress, please.
Thanks, will no doubt post progress.

And yes, that was why I postscripted possible 'achievement' with the open-ended ..... as I do lose focus sometimes if I do not have a defined purpose.

My goals are stretching and may be a tad unrealistic. The best I got to before tweaking my hamstring in November was 22.30 5k and 46.30 10k. I'm off that pace at present. Being in my 40's may prove too much of a reach. Will give it a go though.

Quote:
He isnt top class mate

Re Benteke - 14 May 2017
Old 16-02-2017, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Brody View Post
Thanks, will no doubt post progress.

And yes, that was why I postscripted possible 'achievement' with the open-ended ..... as I do lose focus sometimes if I do not have a defined purpose.

My goals are stretching and may be a tad unrealistic. The best I got to before tweaking my hamstring in November was 22.30 5k and 46.30 10k. I'm off that pace at present. Being in my 40's may prove too much of a reach. Will give it a go though.

I am in my fifties and took up running in may 2015 so not even 2 years yet and I have run 20:12 for 5k 42 mins for 10k and 1hr 40 for a half (only run 2 to date) so age isn't a barrier
Old 17-02-2017, 07:19 AM
Four-eyed shark hunter

The Running Thread

That's impressive Cantspell, genuinely so. I would be happy to get near those numbers in that timeframe. How many and what type of runs do you do?

Went to physio yesterday as had mild to moderate hip pain for a few months now. Thought it was bursitis and she did too.

Apparently my pelvis is a bit off line, probably resulting in instability when striking the floor and weak glutes. The bursitis is not just the fluid sack in the hip but also potential frayed flute/hip tendons.

I knew glutes are vital to running but did not consider mine to be as weak as they seem.

It appears by aerobic fitness has driven beyond my body's ability to keep up, resulting in stress overload.

Quote:
He isnt top class mate

Re Benteke - 14 May 2017
Old 17-02-2017, 07:29 AM

aj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantspell View Post
I am in my fifties and took up running in may 2015 so not even 2 years yet and I have run 20:12 for 5k 42 mins for 10k and 1hr 40 for a half (only run 2 to date) so age isn't a barrier
Seriously impressive at any age!
Old 19-02-2017, 08:50 PM
Four-eyed shark hunter

Anyone doing the Surrey HM at Woking?

Quote:
He isnt top class mate

Re Benteke - 14 May 2017
Old 19-02-2017, 09:25 PM

CamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Did it last 2 years but doing Fleet this year and didn't fancy two weekends in a row.

Nice race and well organised but a bit hillier than advertised so not really a PB opportunity. For me anyway.

Quote:
Old 19-02-2017, 09:32 PM
Four-eyed shark hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamberleyEagle View Post
Did it last 2 years but doing Fleet this year and didn't fancy two weekends in a row.

Nice race and well organised but a bit hillier than advertised so not really a PB opportunity. For me anyway.

Hmmm, said it's meant to be fast.

Quote:
He isnt top class mate

Re Benteke - 14 May 2017
Old 19-02-2017, 11:43 PM
Setting sail.

TAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is here
Went and got a groin strain running on the beach ten days ago, Feeling miserable that I can't run but being careful as I'm scared to aggravate it. Want to get back as quick as possible before I lose momentum. It was so hard to start back this time round.

Any advice on recovery and other exercise I can do is appreciated besides the normal ice, anti inflams and stretches.
Old 19-02-2017, 11:48 PM

Mr Statto came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Statto came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Statto came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Statto came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Statto came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Statto came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Statto came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Statto came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Statto came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Statto came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Statto came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Yes, got a freebie as I was at school with the race director

Supposed to be a very good race (won an award for last year) but we'll have to wait & see. Been meaning to do it for a couple of years, but it generally coincides with my daughter's birthday so haven't been able to until this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodstoneEagle
Being the first team to beat them there will never go away, it's like taking the virginity of someone you don't like's sister, just so you can rub it in their face.
Old 20-02-2017, 09:38 AM

immoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I've been struggling with my groin for the last few weeks, hurts most when I wake up and stretch. Sometimes it's painful when I start running but goes away other times it just won't bother me at all.

Been doing quite a few muddy trails which has really been testing the leg muscles, only an 11.5 mile route but extremely muddy in places and around 25 stiles to get over as well as numerous gates.
Old 20-02-2017, 09:56 AM
Woah Woah Woah

gilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is here
For anyone interested, a friend of mine has setup a series of runs in Hampshire/Sussex. Looks like they're going to be pretty epic.

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 20-02-2017, 10:02 AM

CamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Terrain and width of the course also play a part in whether they describe it as fast (although most seem to anyway) - it's good in those respects.

Definitely got some hills though, although nothing like Windsor, say.

The flattest one I've done recently was River Thames but the terrain was a bit rough in places.

Quote:
Hmmm, said it's meant to be fast.
Old 20-02-2017, 01:33 PM

che12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineche12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineche12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineche12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineche12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineche12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineche12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineche12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineche12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineche12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineche12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Not doing the Surrey Half but instead the Brighton Half - anyone else doing that one?